Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vehicle "accessories"
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Aku
ok, so i'm working on the garage, and i'm looking at the vehicle accessories, thinking, does anyone even USE most of these? out side of photovoltaic paint, does anyone use these? Ejection bucket seats? different tires? Cranes? Cargo mounts?
stevebugge
Yes, on the crane. I put one in the back of a Road Master once in order to use it as a tow truck. Not elegant, but it did work.
warrior_allanon
on the tires, my team outfits with all runflat onroad/offroad tires. photovalic paint and the ID library with the morphing plates, of course unfortunately that van got blown up within the last 48(in game) hours and now has to be replaced along with about 80% of the teams gear.

actually had a character with a paint(vehicles) skill, in my first game so that i could take and repaint my bike after every mission.
Aku
Warrior, i thought of that for the tires, but if you have an improved suspension, or DBW, you automatically get dual purpose tires
Gerald Fitzgerald
I had a rigger with an ejection bucket seat on the passengers side. It was rigged with a block of c12.

I anticipated using it if someone tried to carjack me, but it never came up. I did get to use it when I had unsuspecting people that needed to disappear. Tell them "lets go take a ride." Eject and ba-boom.

Another instance was when my superkombi had been tipped on it's side. The attacking motorcycle gang was directly in line with the ejected seats trajectory, so it was basically a rocket.

Also good for deterring bothersome helicopters.
noname_hero
Some of the accessories are next to useless, but many see frequent use, at least in our games.

Anti-theft Systems - you could find one in most of the "better" cars the characters use, simply because being a runner doesn't make ones 50k nuyen.gif + car immune to common thieves.

External Cargo Mounts - some additional cargo space, in the form of a pre-packaged and portable box, can come quite handy at times. Going out into the wild? Just put this box onto the roof, and you're ready to go.

Armored Seats - in case you want that sense of improved security...

Spotlights - you might not use them during actual runs, but that doesn't mean they're useless.

Tires - characters use them so often that they're actually more common than standard tires.

Winches - you never you when you'll need to pull your own car out of a ditch...

The rest of those toys are not seen that often, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be considered a possibility for your specific needs.
Liper
Drone rack, ejection seats (both used), let me see, oh there's the whole licenseplate + transponder thing so you're legit traffic....

Calvin Hobbes
First thing I saved up for was a convertible ragtop for my Eurocar Westwind. It picks up all the chicks.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Aku)
ok, so i'm working on the garage, and i'm looking at the vehicle accessories, thinking, does anyone even USE most of these? out side of photovoltaic paint, does anyone use these? Ejection bucket seats? different tires? Cranes? Cargo mounts?

Absolutely.

~J
Aku
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Aku @ Dec 21 2005, 02:41 PM)

Absolutely.

~J

just so you can make me do the tedious work out of them, eh? Well, sadly,they're going to get tossed to the end of the project, for the most part, unless something tyhat needs them comes up (like bikes needing a sidecar, grrr), or the ones, that as God of the Program, deem nifty (the paint job). tires don't fall into that caregory, as well, with an upgraded suspension, or DBW, you automatically get dual purpose tires.

Besides, i'm sure people would rather see a full selection of vehicles with "most" of the options avaiable, than another update, with one bike type and something really silly.
Fix-it
QUOTE (Aku)

yes. you never know when you might need any of it.

better to have and not need it, then need and not have.
Aku
QUOTE (Fix-it)
QUOTE (Aku @ Dec 21 2005, 07:41 PM)

yes. you never know when you might need any of it.

better to have and not need it, then need and not have.

said like a user, not a very bored from tedium progammer wanna-be.

god, did i hate doing the sensor, eccm, ecd etc packages... i officially hate charts now...
hobgoblin
i have memorys of coding a simple calculation app for the deck building rules in VR2 at one time. at times it was "how the hell am i going to transform that into code?".

but then i have never been properly trained in the art of coding nyahnyah.gif
and the language of choice at the time was visual basic wink.gif
Aku
I'm not "properly trained" either, although, my language of choise is Actionscript/Flash. I did have one flash class in college though
Gerald Fitzgerald
So I guess I'm missing something. Are you going to use the vehicle accessories or aren't you?
Aku
yes, they'll eventually get in there. fortunately, not many of them are actually installable on a bike (motorcycle convertable, anyone?) but i'm going to concentrate on the other, more important things (like, weapon mounts) so that i can begin filling in and porting all of those, and filling in the rest of the gaps.

Had i been more intelligent, i would've started this preoject with cars, and not bikes, but oh well.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Aku @ Dec 22 2005, 01:36 PM)
just so you can make me do the tedious work out of them, eh? Well, sadly,they're going to get tossed to the end of the project, for the most part, unless something tyhat needs them comes up (like bikes needing a sidecar, grrr), or the ones, that as God of the Program, deem nifty (the paint job). tires don't fall into that caregory, as well, with an upgraded suspension, or DBW, you automatically get dual purpose tires.

Besides, i'm sure people would rather see a full selection of vehicles with "most" of the options avaiable, than another update, with one bike type and something really silly.

Oh, by all means go for the most commonly used stuff first.

That said, I'm working on a vehicle generator too, so don't feel you have to add things on my account smile.gif it's the correct thing to do to add them, but they're low-priority for most people.

Do the tires early, though. They often get forgotten about, but they're pretty important.

~J
Aku
but see, i disagree on the tires being important, because, as i read it, if you have either of the suspension upgrade, ore DBW, you automatically get dual purpose tires (and, i can't see why anyone would get anything other) The only "must have" tire option is wether or not you want them to be run flats.

However, i noticed that tires don't actually have a DP cost to them, only a flat nuyen, so it seems like they're an aftermarket only upgrade.

Hows that generator of yours coming, anyways?
Kagetenshi
Glacially. Is there any other way? wink.gif

Yeah, tires are aftermarket-only. I assumed you were handling Customization as well, but if not you could potentially drop them.

~J
Aku
well, the thing is, most things in the "customization" section, also have design costs, there are a few exceptions (like tires), but for the most part, not. I'm nt sure how i'll handle those things yet.
ShadowDragon8685
How much does electrifiable conductive metal-fibre seat-coverings for the passenger side seat that you can use to light the suckah up cost? smile.gif
fistandantilus4.0
I'm a big fan of tire mods and the morphing plate/transponder. Another favorite is getting a good auto pilot in the vehicle and key a phone to it, then get a transducer/cyber phone, and have your ehicle on call, even if you're not a rigger. Then throw in a drone rack, battle tac master unit, coordinate some drones for suprise back up.

I like the photovoltaic paint too, and any kind of sensors asuming you have the room. The little crane arms have coem in very handy as well, especially w/ T-bird smuggling. Don't even need to land!
Aku
another question (as to not spam with a new thread), can the pop-up and anti-aircraft options be installed on the same weapon mount?
Fix-it
.. I believe so. it doesn't say they can't, does it?

pop-up turrets are the shiznit for innocous looking transports.

I think the whole concept of anti-air turret options is dumb. if you're going to build a weapon into a turret, why NOT have a large degree of freedom in all direction????
Fix-it
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
I like the photovoltaic paint too, and any kind of sensors asuming you have the room. The little crane arms have coem in very handy as well, especially w/ T-bird smuggling. Don't even need to land!

I took a page out of the airforce's book and just shoved it out the back on a cargo sled while going low and slow, and popped a parachute to slow it down.
Aku
well, it doesnt say, either way, it's rather vague, in my opinion. They're listed as two different bolded options, with different costs for each.

And i agree, half the fun of a turret is spinning it around as much as possible.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Fix-it)
I think the whole concept of anti-air turret options is dumb. if you're going to build a weapon into a turret, why NOT have a large degree of freedom in all direction????

Price.

~J
Fix-it
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Fix-it @ Is A rockin' Awesome Dude)

Price.

~J

mmmm... OK.

But it's worth the money not to get your ass blown up from the air. I know I almost always put air turrets on my custom drone-bikes.
Aku
ok, heres another one, what's the point of a firearm conversion kit? there's no cost given, that i see, or is that just the general description for mounts?
Kagetenshi
There is a price in the table on (IIRC) the bottom of the facing page. It varies based on weapon type.

~J
stevebugge
Well fire arm conversion kits would be required for vehicle mounting something that is normally a personal weapon. So why vehicle mount say an SMG? No real point on a large vehicle, but very useful on a drone or a small vehicle. There may also be some use for Heavy Armor to have antipersonnel weapons smart mounted as point defense agains infantry.
Aku
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jan 11 2006, 01:14 PM)
There is a price in the table on (IIRC) the bottom of the facing page. It varies based on weapon type.

~J

can ya gimme a page number? the only chart i'm seeing is the weapons value table, and thats a few pages after the conversion kits

EDIT: and all that chart really tells you, is that you need a certain size mount for certain classes/types of guns
Aku
QUOTE (stevebugge)
Well fire arm conversion kits would be required for vehicle mounting something that is normally a personal weapon. So why vehicle mount say an SMG? No real point on a large vehicle, but very useful on a drone or a small vehicle. There may also be some use for Heavy Armor to have antipersonnel weapons smart mounted as point defense agains infantry.

Sorry Steve, my question was poorly worded. I get the "point" of them, but the point i get is why they're avaliable as a design option, because, afaict, there is no associated cost for them. Essentially saying "og, you wanna put a predator on that drone? oh, ok. done."
tisoz
QUOTE (Aku @ Jan 11 2006, 12:24 PM)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jan 11 2006, 01:14 PM)

~J

can ya gimme a page number? the only chart i'm seeing is the weapons value table, and thats a few pages after the conversion kits

EDIT: and all that chart really tells you, is that you need a certain size mount for certain classes/types of guns

It is in the errata down at page 136.
Aku
i hate errata...

hate

hate

HATE.

But thank you tisoz
Cray74
QUOTE (Fix-it)

Few turrets found on real military ground vehicles can elevate to more than 45 degrees. An anti-air, high-angle turret is unusual, does require more space in the vehicle for a given weapons load (see the elevation/depression issues of low-profile Soviet tank turrets) and thus reasonably handled as an option.
Dog
I'd give a massive karma bonus to anyone who mounts a harpoon and tow-cable on an LAV and uses it in combat.

TheNarrator
Possibly for the purpose of tripping a four-legged vehicle of the Walker type?

Of course, your name has to be Wedge Antilles to pull it off. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012