Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 Tactics
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
skyekicker
Hello I'm new here to Dumpshock Forums and I'd would like to know if there are ways to make the rules for Shadowrun Fourth edition work on a computer. I like games that allow players to solve problems without pulling out a machine gun or the likes. So how do you make the current rules for Shadowrun more concrete. I love roleplaying games but most of these games lack a solid structure to play on. How do I make the mechanics solid and firm. Any suggestions?
Cold-Dragon
Um, the mechanics are designed to be flexible - tell us something you want to do and maybe we can give you an idea of how do to it?

Do you mean make a program sort of game, or just do it onthe computer/online?
Azralon
QUOTE (skyekicker @ Dec 22 2005, 05:03 PM)
How do I make the mechanics solid and firm.  Any suggestions?

Awesome.
mfb
i'm tempted to use that as my sig.
skyekicker
The idea of this post is to learn how to set up a gaming tool for Shadowrun as Neverwinter Nights is to D&D.

It would be important to setup the rules so a computer could understand how run a mission with as minimal attention from the person who setup the mission as possible. That means having a set of predefined tools on how to handle contacts, hacking and Fast Talking. Computers can easily handle combat but how does the computer handle all the other non-combat actions that make Shadowrun so interesting?
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (skyekicker)
Computers can easily handle combat but how does the computer handle all the other non-combat actions that make Shadowrun so interesting?

Another way to ask this would be, "Why haven't computer RPG's completely replaced table-top RPG's?" wink.gif
Azralon
Jeez, I feel like I'm telling a kid the truth about Santa.

Sky: Shadowrun's published rules -- in any edition, some more than others -- are notoriously inconsistent (note my sig). Some stuff is nice and concrete, yet an unfortunate amount of it is very fuzzy and demands nothing less than arbitrary GM declarations.

As a programmer, I'll tell you that you're looking at one headache of a project. A noble one, to be sure, but I suspect you're going to be pulling your hair out over such things as the Matrix and vehicle/drone combat.

The most useful advice I can give you is to read the SR4 PDF (do not read the current print run, as the PDF has the current errata built in) in its entirety, straight through, at least twice. A lot of the rules require some back-assward understanding of other rules before they start to make sense, and some outright need you to be able to read in between the lines.

In any event, you or someone in your design team is going to have to make some house rules and arbitrary judgments along the way in order to get the concrete code routines you're going to need.

Good luck, though!
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (skyekicker)
The idea of this post is to learn how to set up a gaming tool for Shadowrun as Neverwinter Nights is to D&D.

You mean like ShadowrunnerNights?
skyekicker
Another way to ask this would be, "Why haven't computer RPG's completely replaced table-top RPG's?"

Yes I agree that computers have a hard time with non-combat actions but wouldn't it be nice if you could get a computer to at least have a basic understanding of these actions? I would like to some suggestions on how to make non-combat actions a little more mechanical.
Azralon
They're already partially mechanical. Take a look at the social skills section, and the "Running the Shadows" sections that cover downtime.
skyekicker
I know the rules for some pats of the game are already partially mechanical but are there ways to complete the system. Perhaps maybe simplifying certain parts that are shoddily constructed. I know Shadowrun as far as RPGs go is well designed but is there a way remove the parts that don't make sense and replace them with tighter rules. Suggestions please.
Azralon
I'll attempt to gracefully step out of this conversation now, as the answers asked for are too time-consuming and debateable for me. smile.gif
skyekicker
I just got an idea that could help direct this thread in a better direction. All of you have perhaps played final fantasy tactics or perhaps Advanced wars. How could I modify the system so that Shadowruns could be played on such a grid. Not only that the players would use non-combat actions more than they used combat actions.
mfb
okay. skyekicker is, it looks like, basically wanting a die roller with lots of bells and whistles. he wants to, say, select "ranged combat" from a list, and then select modifiers from a list under "ranged combat", and then type in the skill (or maybe just have it pull the skill from a character sheet database) and have it tell him the results.

edit: or maybe not. but that's what i'd look for!
Liper
To do shadowrun on a computer, you don't have to use the exisiting rules, just make sure the end result of runner with a longarm skill of 6 and agility of 6, shoots just as well/reliably as one in sr4.

RunnerPaul
The last time I tried write a program to automate just a portion of the Shadowrun Rules set, I ended up causing a very expensive programmable graphics calculator to commit suicide. Now mind you this was SR3, and it was only the rules for ranged combat, but still, it's not fun to hear that electrical sounding *snap* and then find out that your calculator won't ever turn on again.
Squinky
If you have to ask this question, I seriously doubt you will be able to program anything people recomend.

As an amateur programmer myself (made a ton of crappy adventure games) I have made portions of games that mimicked shadowrun style figthing, but they were very specific (no magic, just flat out shooting). You probably shouldn't try to emulate the exact method of dice rolling, just figure out things in an easier fashion, like percentage chance to hit going up with a skill instead of programing and storing multiple dice rolls to get your result....

I don't think there has ever been an rpg conversion that held completely true with the pen and paper...
FrostyNSO
Hate to go off topic, but:

Squinky: Have any of those crappy adventure games online anywhere? Some of us get bored at work.
Nidhogg
QUOTE (Squinky @ Dec 24 2005, 11:58 PM)
As an amateur programmer myself (made a ton of crappy adventure games) I have made portions of games that mimicked shadowrun style figthing, but they were very specific (no magic, just flat out shooting). You probably shouldn't try to emulate the exact method of dice rolling, just figure out things in an easier fashion, like percentage chance to hit going up with a skill instead of programing and storing multiple dice rolls to get your result....

It isn't too hard to program a shadowrun dice roller. All you need is a randomize function and an array per combatant, then just stick it in to a for loop, set the attacker's weapon skill-1 as the parameter and set the store the randomized number in the array index equal to the count. Once you have the dice roller set up, just overload the function, and make it its own library. The hard part would be rest of the combat system (anybody who's ever tried will tell you that making anything besides an ASCII RPG or SUD is pretty tedious if you aren't getting paid for it).
Squinky
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
Hate to go off topic, but:

Squinky: Have any of those crappy adventure games online anywhere? Some of us get bored at work.

Bummer thing is they have to be downloaded....but if your work is cool with that. My site has been down lately but you can get most of them on these links from another site. Just remember I said amateur programmer (as in did it all myself, art and all) and that the first few games are pretty old and they do get better as you go....

Pirate Fry Games:
My attempt at making a humorous pirate series.
Pirate Fry and Volcano Island:
http://aafiles.bicycle-for-slugs.org/full/...0Fry/winfry.zip
Pirate Fry 2:
http://aafiles.bicycle-for-slugs.org/full/...f%20Anturus.rar
Pirate Fry 3: (the better of them, done more recently)
http://aafiles.bicycle-for-slugs.org/full/...0the%20Dead.rar

Demonslayer Games:
The adventures of Bert the demonslayer and his floating sandwich/sidekick/deity.
DemonSlayer 1:
http://aafiles.bicycle-for-slugs.org/mags/...ble%20vampires/
DemonSlayer 2:
http://aafiles.bicycle-for-slugs.org/mags/...20Slayer%20Guy/
DemonSlayer 3:
http://aafiles.bicycle-for-slugs.org/mags/...emonSlayer%203/
Demonslayer 4: (one of the better ones, recent)
http://aafiles.bicycle-for-slugs.org/full/...ayer%20Four.rar

Have fun.
FrostyNSO
Hell yeah, good times!

Thanks Squinky!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012