Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [RL]AH-64 Apache vs. Lotus Exige sportscar
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
RunnerPaul
The BBC2 has a tv show called Top Gear, aimed squarely at the auto enthusiast demographic. When they got a hold of the superb handling Lotus Exige, they wanted to put it through its paces.

So, they called up the British Army, and got them to send over an AH-64 Apache attack helicopter with one of their ace pilots, and set up the following demonstration: The Apache, restricted to the airspace above the test track, would try to get a missile lock on the Exige while the Exige tried to complete a lap on the track, performing whatever evasive driving needed to avoid the chopper.

In the words of the host of the show, Jeremy Clarkson (who was also driving):
"The best helicopter gunship in the world, flown by the best pilots in the world, the British Army, against the best handling car in the world, driven by an idiot."

(Don't read too much into the "best pilots" comment; I'm sure that the British Army would only lend them the Apache if the show threw in something like that to make the recruiters happy)

Now in the real world, the Apache would be about a mile off, popping up from behind the treeline, and not limited to the track itself, and the car would be a smoking crater. Despite that, it's still a fun video.
Muzzaro
That was pretty amusing to watch, and definitely something to keep in mind if a GM decides to throw an attack chopper into a chase scene.

Why not the best pilots? I guess they could have used US pilots, but they have a tendency to attack the wrong targets or disregard orders nyahnyah.gif

In a game term, if say the corp decide to launch an attack gunship at the players, and they get into an urban area (not unlike a rash corp to shrug off civilian damage, just to achieve a goal), it would have the same problems as it did there. The air-space is restricted, and thus it can't get into optimum lock and firing positions. However i doubt a corp gunship would sit back and not use the vision tracking assault cannon like they did in the vid.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Muzzaro)
Why not the best pilots?

Because I didn't want this to get turned into a flamewar by people who disagree with Mr. Clarkson's assertion.
Ed_209a
Cool video.

I wondered the same thing about the chain gun. Apparently, the game was set up for hellfire only.

I imagine a little shrapnel would do wondrous things to those racing tires in the middle of a tight turn.

I also wondered if perhaps corp security forces have special missile warheads for use in the sprawl. Something with the standard guidance, but a block of concrete instead of an explosive charge. It would do wicked damage to a normal car, or even a lightly armored car, but would not do as much collateral damage.

Fix-it
pssh, put that thing against an AH-6 Loach with two pods of hydra rockets and any Specops pilot, and it's a smoking crater.
Fix-it
QUOTE (Ed_209a)
I also wondered if perhaps corp security forces have special missile warheads for use in the sprawl. Something with the standard guidance, but a block of concrete instead of an explosive charge. It would do wicked damage to a normal car, or even a lightly armored car, but would not do as much collateral damage.

you'd also have to be wicked accurate, but I immagine such systems have improved in 60 years.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (Muzzaro @ Dec 24 2005, 08:13 PM)
Why not the best pilots?

Because I didn't want this to get turned into a flamewar by people who disagree with Mr. Clarkson's assertion.

who cares about those statements anyways? if you watch even a single episode of it you know that he will make inflamatory remarks about just about anything.

as for the video itself, i recall something similar done on discovery channel. alltho then it was the comanche prototype and a sportscar. it allowed the helicopter to show of its manuverability. the helicopter was able to keep up with the car while flying sideways!

i realy do wonder why the program was trashed as so late a stage...
Wireknight
post? what post? there's no post here.
mfb
QUOTE (Ed_209a)
Something with the standard guidance, but a block of concrete instead of an explosive charge.

why concrete?
Kagetenshi
Cheap and "good enough", I figure. Not bad thinking until you factor in the price of the guidance.

~J
Eddie Furious
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Ed_209a)
Something with the standard guidance, but a block of concrete instead of an explosive charge.

why concrete?

Concrete hits and goes *BAM!* the chunk of concrete travelling at ~800m/s is more than sufficient to do in a civilian vehicle without creating collatoral damage AKA negative press. Kinda like a wrecking ball into a wall.

Standard ordinance hits and goes *BOOM!* blasting through the vehicle in a relatively controlled jet of gasses and metals, but the material strength of the vehicle it hits would most likely experience a catastrophic material failure AKA turn the car into a giant frikkin' grenade.
mmu1
QUOTE (mfb @ Dec 24 2005, 11:59 PM)
QUOTE (Ed_209a)

why concrete?

IIRC it's also commonly used as filler for dummy ordnance in RL, so it's got practical merit.
mfb
yeah, i understand the reduction of casualty radius and all, i'm just wondering why concrete specifically. instead of, say, copper or gravel or babies.
ShadowDragon8685
Denser than gravel, lighter than solid copper, and less lawsuits than babies.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Fix-it)
you'd also have to be wicked accurate, but I immagine such systems have improved in 60 years.

If you look at pictures from whenever Israelis have fired missiles at Palestinian insurgents/terrorists/whatever, you'll see quite a lot of direct hits on cars by AH-64s firing Hellfires. As long as the car is moving more or less in a straight line at the last moments of the missile approach, a direct hit (ie. within about a meter of the crosshair) is quite easy to achieve even now.

Low-power kinetic missiles from helos could work wonderfully when collateral damage must be minimized. But instead of Hellfire-like missiles with dummy warheads, they might be like a Compact Kinetic Energy Missile or Hypervelocity Anti-Tank Missile that only flies at Mach 2-3 and with a solid steel or other payload instead of a long-rod tungsten penetrator.
nick012000
I'll not that he never actually states that the helicopter failed to acheive targeting lock. biggrin.gif
ShadowDragon8685
Good catch, Nick. nyahnyah.gif

And yeah, if he'd wanted to, the pilot could've just hovered and used his gun, or flown a mile away and hised Longbow radar to light that sucker up. smile.gif
KillaJ
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
i realy do wonder why the program was trashed as so late a stage...

I had the opportunity to ask an Apache pilot about that once and he told me that the Comanche simply did not perform as well as it was supposed to. I dont know if that was just sour grapes or what but he was the closest thing I ever found to someone qualified to speak about it so take that for what you will. smile.gif
Muzzaro
I like the concrete rounds idea. All about limiting collateral damage, while punching round concrete sized holes in the runner's vehicles.

"There's a loud thud, and a smoking hole where the engine used to be. The car jerks as it runs over it's own, now flattened engine, and then goes skidding out of control into the nearest building."
Austere Emancipator
To be fair, there will be quite a lot more than a thud and a smoking hole. The fuel of the missile will burst to flame/explode upon impact, leading to a something of a fireball -- unless it burns out the fuel soon after launch and then coasts the rest of the way in, in which case it'll have to have a pretty high velocity at first and a relatively short range.

If you pump up the velocity by a bit (like, say, 5000fps/1500mps), it gets even better. Check out the LOSAT videos on this page -- they're about 3/4s of the way down the page. I'm pretty sure most of the fireball is from the fuel of the rocket, but even the impact itself will be quite spectacular when you start talking about tens of kilos hitting metal at Mach 5+. And the collateral damage can still be quite limited compared to a HEAT warhead.
Ed_209a
I have read similar things (not concrete though) about A10s flying missions with practice ammunition to limit collateral damage when they only expect soft targets. I imagine it is LOTS cheaper than the really sexy anti tank rounds too.
ascendance
I should note that Clarkson admitted that if the Apache came "from a long way off" he'd be a smoking crater. I presume that the IDF doesn't chase Hamas leaders around the inside of a track before blowing up their cars.

But yeah, this is definitely a chaingun situation ^_^
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (ascendance)
I presume that the IDF doesn't chase Hamas leaders around the inside of a track before blowing up their cars.

The point was to think of munitions possibly useful in RL operations. For chasing an evasive car in limited airspace, the weapon of choice is, of course, a fixed forward-firing minigun for those Ye Olde Action Movie visuals.
Fix-it
QUOTE (ascendance)
I presume that the IDF doesn't chase Hamas leaders around the inside of a track before blowing up their cars.

nope. they blow up the track first.
Lindt
As it has been said, the Exige wouldent be a smoking crater, but most likely swiss cheese. But it does prove that a car in open terrain could really screw with a Big Bird in tight or restricted space. Like the streets of Seattle.

Top Gear also gets shown on this side of the pond on 'Speed network'. love that show, really I do.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Lindt)
As it has been said, the Exige wouldent be a smoking crater, but most likely swiss cheese.

The M230 chaingun would be quite capable of reducing the Lotus to a smoking crater, if that's what you meant. 220 grams of HEDP goodness at 625rpm.

If you meant a near-miss with a Hellfire, the page I linked earlier includes this video (1.91Mb, .mpeg) of an AGM-114(K?) Hellfire II blast and fragmentation test (here's another, 1.34Mb .mpeg). I wouldn't want to be in a light plastic car right next to it. Swiss cheese indeed.
Lindt
*whistle*
Swiss Cheese Indeed.
Ed_209a
This is nit picking, because the vehicle would almost certainly be disabled with the first hit, but I picture... (what _do_ you call a wound channel in a vehicle?) craters? about the size of a garbage can from each shell.

The fragments would certainly travel further through the car, but that is what I picture the HE content opening up.
FrostyNSO
All it takes is one hit, and the most effective single hit will be one that takes out the driver.
Lindt
From the looks of that little baby, just about the only NON crippeling shot would be taking out the passenger. Thats provided it didnt remove the framerail in the process. So note to the FBI (NSA, ect, cause we KNOW your watching), dont use these to run away from anyone with anything bigger then an annoyed goat.

Slick little car...
FrostyNSO
It's how I always imagined the Westwind 2000 looking like.
Lindt
Close, but oddly the Westwind seats 4. 2+1b.
But as far as how it would look... yeah... tiny little plastic rocketship.
nezumi
QUOTE (Lindt)
Close, but oddly the Westwind seats 4. 2+1b.

And it's also apparently a limousine.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (nezumi)
QUOTE (Lindt @ Dec 27 2005, 10:11 AM)
Close, but oddly the Westwind seats 4.  2+1b.

huh?
nezumi
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
QUOTE (nezumi @ Dec 27 2005, 04:43 PM)
QUOTE (Lindt @ Dec 27 2005, 10:11 AM)
Close, but oddly the Westwind seats 4.  2+1b.

huh?

The westwind has been described as both a very nice sportscar and a limousine in various shadowrun materials. Use the search function for specific references, since I can't tell you what they are off the top of my head.
hobgoblin
im guessing here but could they be using the limo term as describing a variant that was used by heads of state on official duty?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dict.asp?...?Word=limousine

the 1. could be applyed to allmost any car by trowing in someone to drive it and maybe a wall between the driver and the passangers.

the westwind would make a very small limo but could to the job i guess nyahnyah.gif
stevebugge
Here's a thought. Could a smaller more manuverable drone be rack mounted on the chopper and deployed to attack targets in restricted spaces, so all the chopper would have to do is maintain communications range with the drone?
hobgoblin
the ultimate smart weapon would be a drone, loaded with explosives, that was orderd to land onto the target vehicle and then detonate.

expensive yes, but it will not detonate until its in contact with the vehicle. and the drones dogbrain should be able to navigate obstacles to get there while a missile most often goes in the most straight line it can find.

unless you do it hellfire style, missile gets fired from cover and goes high, launchpatform pops out of cover and paints the target, missile dives. ok so its mostly straight from the time of target paint but its more like a artillery launch then a normal missile launch.

hmm, didnt they work on putting laser targeting and control fins on artillery shells? more or less a variant of a laser guided bomb wink.gif

hmm, while i think about it, a rigger can ride a antiship missile, could this in theory be done with a smaller one allso?
mfb
the problem with that idea is that it's a bit slow. if the drone is actually taking the time to land on the vehicle, that gives security forces a lot of time to deal with it--shoot it down, hack it, whatever.
Fix-it
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

hmm, didnt they work on putting laser targeting and control fins on artillery shells? more or less a variant of a laser guided bomb wink.gif

yes, it was called the M712 Copperhead, the link is just a general article on how it works, use googlefu to get a history. needless to say, it would have made the soviets pay heavily if they had tried a tank war in germany.
Austere Emancipator
As per Rigger 3 naval combat rules, you can rig an actual missile. So no need for a special-built self-detonating drone. The only problem is that the canon missiles don't have Sensor ratings, so they can't be used as their own spotters (ie. in an active seeking mode) unless you tweak things a bit.

You could definitely use small, cheap, flying drones with high-rating Sensors high over the battlefield as part of a BattleTac or whatever network, and use that to fire missiles with no LOS -- Rigger 3 and Cannon Companion contain all the rules you need to make that work.

In addition to the laser-guided M712, there are plenty of artillery munitions, for howitzers and rocket launchers, which have a seeking projectile or submunitions -- for example, the M898 SADARM which has 2 submunitions using infrared and millimeter wave radar to acquire targets.

[Edit]Damn, these would look great at New Year's.[/Edit]
hobgoblin
hmm, i poked around in rigger3 after i posted my question about missiles and riggers.

seems the reason normal missiles cant be rigged is because they should be able to travel the distance between the launcher and the target within the space of a combat round or less...

and the talk about a spotter drone for a non-LOS strike. predator anyone (as in the UAV, not the movie monster)?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
and the talk about a spotter drone for a non-LOS strike. predator anyone (as in the UAV, not the movie monster)?

Or a Global Hawk, or Shadow 200, or, if you want a rotary UAV, Fire Scout or Vigilante.

Once the imaging and targeting equipment get a bit smaller, they'll be able to use little buggers like this, too. It would have to be launched from near the target area (range ~6 miles), but it can hover around for over an hour at up to 15000ft, only weighs 4.5lbs, and has a unit replacement cost of just $35,000 -- the RQ-1 Predator is a multi-million dollar piece of equipment, not something you want to attach several of to every gunship.
Zeel De Mort
They also did a similar thing with a Range Rover sport vs Challenger 2 tank.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=38...ear+range+rover

Skip about 5 minutes in if you're not that interested in the car. smile.gif
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
the ultimate smart weapon would be a drone, loaded with explosives, that was orderd to land onto the target vehicle and then detonate.

I've actually done something similar in the old Virtual Seattle campaign.

Half dozen Dragon ATGM warheads strapped pointing down to a roto-drone.

Yes, it was massive overkill against a limo. And the highway below it. And I think the subway tunnel below that.

But it was the last mission of the campaign. Time to unload ALL the ammo.

biggrin.gif

Squirt.
nick012000
I seriously wonder what Shadowrunners would think if they somehow got ahold of Dumpshock ("And now, I will connect my computer to the metaplanes! Hmm... Dumpshock forums?").
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012