Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hestaby/Lofwyr/Oakforest connection
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
last_of_the_great_mikeys
OKay, I'm not too up on my "immortal conspiracy" knowledge...fefinitely behind the SOTA. Pretty much all of my knowledge of it comes from Dumpshock and it's links (like Ancient History's site). But, I was going therough the Hestaby section of Dragons of the Sixth World and at the end of it Eyebright (a former Shasta Shaman with a grudge against the Orange Queen) Said she saw Hestaby hand Lofwyr a metahuman prisoner, that Eyebright herself recovered his chewed off arm. So I'm wondering about what Hestaby's issue with the Oakforest clan might be, if indeed the aforementioned metahuman was indeed Glasgian as I suspect. Was this simply the price of getting Lofwyr's Princehood? Did one or more other princes have a problem with Glasgian? LEt's hear what allaya have to say.
Abstruse
Laughing Man (aka Harlequin aka an immortal elf) basically spins the scenario using puns. What happened more or less is that Glasgan screwed with some dragon eggs a few years back (novel Never Trust an Elf), and Hestaby traded Lofwyr Glasgan for his seat on the counsel. Lofwyr proceeded to have a nice IE lunch.

The Abstruse One
Ancient History
We think/hope.
Kanada Ten
I wonder... Myth says cannibalism grants the strength of those you devour, certain Earthdawn practitioners sacrificed people/babies to increase life span, dragons know blood magic, and I doubt Lofwyr would hesitate when called for...

Maybe Lofwyr just had the 4th World equivalent of a face-lift candy bar and got some revenge while paying off the debt to Hestaby for the Jewel with his seat all at the same time.
Reth
Or maybe Lofwyr just have Glasgian tucked away somewhere nice and safe, ain't nothin like a little leverage now and then, especially when daddy Oakforest conspires with the likes of Beloit-Graff and such, and come on...Lofwyr's been around for thousands of years, he would come up with some thing better than just eating Glasgian, remember its Ghostwalker who is the rash one, that sometimes eats people before he thinks, Lofwyr is NEVER rash.
Abstruse
Laughing Man made it pretty clear (again, through pun) that Lofwyr had an elven snack. Lofwyr found that the deal with Hestaby had something that "suited his taste", the ex-Shasta Lodge member talks about the two of them haggling over a metahuman's life, Glasgan is nowhere to be found, Lofwyr and Oakforest both retired suddenly, and I remember someone saying something about finding bones with dragon teethmarks (though I may be mixing that up with Celadyr and his ongoing war with HBK).

Bottom line -- Lofwyr ate the brat, Oakforest got in deep crap over the dragon egg incident, and Hestaby arranged the whole thing. Of course, that's just the way I look at the puzzle peices we have so far...

The Abstruse One
Jérémie
QUOTE (Abstruse @ Oct 2 2003, 04:04 AM)
Glasgan screwed with some dragon eggs a few years back (novel Never Trust an Elf), and Hestaby traded Lofwyr Glasgan for his seat on the counsel.  Lofwyr proceeded to have a nice IE lunch.

Still not very straight/clear. Technobabel clearly show that a great wyrm could do whatever he want, and IE or not they bow and shut up about it.

It may have several other level in that story.

No news about it's release as a novel by Wizkids, yet ?
Tzeentch
Unless I'm mistaken, the long-delayed novel by Mike Mulvihill will straighten this issue out wink.gif

Kenneth
snowRaven
Then let us all Pray and Hope that the delay will not last much further...

(I miss having my new SR novels to read *sniff* *sniff*)
Abstruse
And no offense to Adam since we've had this discussion before, I want more REAL Shadowrun novels, not these damn SR Duels books. No matter what he says, they're just not the same nyahnyah.gif

The Abstruse One
Yes, I know, I hear that the new novels are suppose to run on a more low level. None Uber Shadowrunner. But I still like the novels because, dude they clear up all the stuff that the source books are getting at. Okay enough of a rant.

When did Lofwyr give up his Tir seat. I must be out of the loop.
Reth
Well as they say, truth is in the eye of the beholder, and beholders are a hit dice..?..monster...No seriously we can argue this point until we are green in the head and we won't know until the blasted novel comes out.

A few points though. A gnawed off arm, evidence of death..hardly!! But a very nice way to send a message, also i don't think dragons tend to be messy with their meals. Bargaining over Glasgians life..? That implies that one of them were trying to save his life, no its rather bargaining over SOMETHING with Glasgian as payment to Lofwyr for not interfering with Hestabys upcomming play. And again why would the master plotter of plotters squander such an advantage as keeping Glasgian around somewhere for something as fleeting as momentary satisfaction, remember we are talking about dragons here, they don't go for the quick thrill, Lofwyr least of all, the only thing he would gain from eating Glasgian would be to gain a mortal enemy, who is an IE, and who would devote his existence to fragging over Lofwyr, not an enticing prospect for anyone, not even a GD, since NO and NO again, GD's don't just push IE's around as they see fit, anybody that still thinks this better check their SR and ED history again. We might all hate Glasgians guts and want him to die, but wishing don't make it so, especially since it would extremely illogical for a masterplayer such as Lofwyr to sacrifice an advantage he can potentially hold for centuries.
Ancient History
'sides, you'd think Lofwyr would have eaten him aforetimes. Why the Hell did he keep those eggs there anyways?
Bitten by the bug
Close to a magic site (the Tirr must be full of them), perhaps he sacrificed them for a higher purpose (getting leverage over Glasgian) or he hadn't picked them up yet from the female dragon or it was supposedly safer for the babies to be there or an illicit egglaying?
last_of_the_great_mikeys
QUOTE (Ancient History)
'sides, you'd think Lofwyr would have eaten him aforetimes. Why the Hell did he keep those eggs there anyways?

I think Dot6W and SotF give insight into this...Loffy seems to believe in natural selection philosophy. He thinks himself the top of the draconic heirarchy. He probably was arrogant enough to think noone would mess with them and that if they did he was powerful enough to protect them. I dunno much about Glasgian, but I get the impression that he might be the type to lack wisdom and fail to understand that dragons are big, scary, powerful, have long memories and can eat you. This about right?
Reth
Somewhat on the mark i would say. Eventhough it is true that Lofwyr believes in survival of the fittest so to speak, that doesn't mean that he is stupid enough to plant his eggs just next to the stronghold of some of his most accomplished enemies, oh wait yes he was, i guess a certain SR novellist didn't think things through properly beforehand. Glasgian knows that dragons are dangerous alright, he just doesn't know his own limitations.
Clipwing
On the topic of this thread, I just finished Never Trust An Elf and I've been trying to figure out what the heck Glasgian and Urdli were up to...
[ Spoiler ]
Would anybody care to enlighten my confused meanderings?
Ancient History
[ Spoiler ]
Clipwing
[ Spoiler ]
Ancient History
[ Spoiler ]

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012