Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ok NOW--Has Evo found anything on MARS!?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
boskop-albatros
I just want to ask--do you think Evo has found anything up on MARS
Jaid
anything is a pretty generic thing.

do i think they found anything on Mars? yes. i'm sure there are multitudes of rocks, and red dust for example.

if by anything you mean 'anything indicating the presence of sentient life on Mars', then i would say they probably did. not necessarily extraterrestrial life though, IMO.
Slump
Just for fun, slip in rumors that Evo discovered that Mars is not a manawarp, despite the fact that they have yet to find signs of life.
Mr.Platinum
Only source books will tell.

Tell me now.
RunnerPaul
Elvis.
emo samurai
Dude, how CAN'T they find a big fucking pyramid on the surface of Mars?
Mr.Platinum
maybe a sand storm picked up and burried it and then they found the remains of Val Kilmer and his crew.
Cyber_Elvis
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
Elvis.

Did someone summon me? silly.gif
Azralon
QUOTE (Cyber_Elvis)
Did someone summon me? silly.gif

Dude. Paul is going to take so much drain.
emo samurai
Not if he has a summoning focus.
Jaid
you never know... it may just be a force 1 ancestor spirit... in which case he will only be taking minor drain.

then again, elvis probably isn't force 1... hmmm... come to think of it... i wonder what force he would be...

maybe it's just an elvis impersonator ancestor spirit... that would be pretty low drain i think nyahnyah.gif
Fix-it
QUOTE (boskop-albatros @ Dec 26 2005, 06:31 AM)
I just want to ask--do you think Evo has found anything up on MARS

Yes. But they're not telling you.
RunnerPaul
My parents live in Las Vegas, which is a +5 Power Site for summoning a single Elvis or even multiple Elvii. And I just got back from spending a week with them, so some of that positively aspected background count must have followed me home.
Azralon
Stupid immortal Elvii. Go back to Oregon!
boskop-albatros
well the pics in The Big D's will looked like a dragon skeleton just to mention it- also is it remotely possible that any of the sites up there has a background count?
stevebugge
I think they found William Shatner
boskop-albatros
At this point you could take Capt. Kirk as A Totem/Metor Spirit Like Elvis cyber.gif
Jaid
QUOTE (boskop-albatros)
well the pics in The Big D's will looked like a dragon skeleton just to mention it- also is it remotely possible that any of the sites up there has a background count?

background count?

well, if by 'background count' you mean 'mana warp' much like what you will find in space, then i suppose you could say that.

so then, let's see... captain kirk as a mentor spirit... hmmm...

well, i think you need +2 to unarmed and whatever skill is used for seduction (con? negotiation? whatever. it would simply reflect women randomly wanting you rather than skill at seduction or anything like that though).

maybe a bonus when using lasers as well or something nyahnyah.gif

hmmm... drawback: distinctive style (must overreact *everything*, no matter how small or insignificant). willpower(3) test to resist.

come to think of it, that's a rather annoying penalty... and one of the advantages is really not all that great (mechanically at least)... hmmm... let's go with also getting +2 on damage resistance tests maybe?

there you have it... Captain James Tiberius Kirk as a mentor spirit biggrin.gif
Tarko
Common, the Kirk'slap is well-known as being the most powerfull attack in the universe, even if you fall prone afterward wobble.gif

And what about the vulcan pinch?
Jaid
QUOTE (Tarko)
Common, the Kirk'slap is well-known as being the most powerfull attack in the universe, even if you fall prone afterward wobble.gif

And what about the vulcan pinch?

well, that's why they get +2 to unarmed checks.

to condense/clarify, here's the mentor spirit all in one place:

Captain James Tiberius Kirk

+2 unarmed checks, +2 dice on rolls to seduce women, +1* die on damage resistance tests

disadvantage: willpower test (threshold of 3) to avoid overacting/overreacting to everything.

the bonus to seduce women, once again, is not a result of skill at seduction, but rather reflects that by some twist of fate women want you.

*oh, and as i was looking at it, i thought +2 die on all damage resistance tests is rather big... so i dropped it to +1.

(hmmm... looks really good for an adept, if they were only allowed to have mentor spirits)

if you want vulcan neck pinch action, you would have to have Spock as a mentor spirit. i'd have to think a little for that...
Tarko
QUOTE (Jaid)
(hmmm... looks really good for an adept, if they were only allowed to have mentor spirits)

if you want vulcan neck pinch action, you would have to have Spock as a mentor spirit. i'd have to think a little for that...

they are; p.192
Members of any tradition may have mentor spirits, including adepts

Dont Kirk learn to use it somewhere along the series?(neck pinch)
Jaid
don't think so. neck pinch is pretty much exclusively a spock thing, iirc (although kirk may have learned it for 1 episode, it is possible. but really, i just don't see it... kirk's method of knocking people out is pretty much just beating them senseless).

anywho, interesting pg 192 says that, 'cause so far as i can tell, pg 79 says otherwise. specifically:
This quality is only available to characters with either the
Magician or Mystic Adept quality
Tarko
weird.... IIRC, there was a post in the errata or magic thread stating we should add Adept to that sentence.... altho I'm REALLY not sure.... it was some thing like: add adept (or mystic adept) to that sentence: 'blablaba'
Jaid
might be. i try to avoid reading excessively long threads unless i'm pretty bored though nyahnyah.gif

it's probably just a bad habit i got from the D&D boards (where just about any thread that goes beyond 2 pages is still going only because of flame wars) nyahnyah.gif

so then, there we have it, a rather impressive mentor for an adept at least biggrin.gif
Tarko
You should had that the followers of Kirk must put on some lipstick... as he did in the series. And maybe be close to cross-dressing about clothes (what with that skirt?!)
Mr.Platinum
Kirk mars? what the hell is this about now.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Jaid)
don't think so. neck pinch is pretty much exclusively a spock thing, iirc (although kirk may have learned it for 1 episode, it is possible. but really, i just don't see it... kirk's method of knocking people out is pretty much just beating them senseless).

Series no, but by the movie era, both Shatner and Nimoy had worked out "anything he does, I get to do" clauses into their contracts with Paramount. I think it was #4 when Kirk manages to pull off the nerve pinch.
Tarko
knew it.

But even if the nerve pinch is cooler... the Kirk'slap (then prone) attack is much more effective nyahnyah.gif
stevebugge
QUOTE (Mr.Platinum @ Dec 29 2005, 07:56 PM)
Kirk mars? what the hell is this about now.

Someone asked if EVO found anything on Mars, and as far as I know there is nothing in canon about what's on Mars (except some photos from Dunkie which don't show too much) so things just keep getting floated, like Elvis, William Shatner, and Drop Bears.

Apparently Capt. Kirk is one Kick Ass mentor spriit too.
Mr.Platinum
bizarre.
Jaid
QUOTE (stevebugge)
Apparently Capt. Kirk is one Kick Ass mentor spriit too.

well, yes. if you happen to be an adept.

and depending on how your GM rules on the drain/damage question (which reminds me... something i gotta ask my GM nyahnyah.gif )
BookWyrm
Wouldn't a "Commander Spock" Totem/Mentor Spirit be more Hermetic in style (espousing Logic over emotional responses)?
Of course, the Toxic/Corrupted version would look like the Spock from Mirror Mirror....

As for the Vulcan Neck Pinch, there's the Adept power Nerve Strike, Magic in the Shadows p. 150-151. Instead of balling up your fist & hitting, just reach out....
Grinder
SR3 .... how outdated (at least in this forum) biggrin.gif
Mr.Platinum
QUOTE (Grinder)
SR3 .... how outdated (at least in this forum) biggrin.gif

Hey I'm still finishing a campain using 3rd, when i'm done system Faliure and the death of the Chiba-3.
Grinder
That's they way FanPro wanted the people to end SR3, i'm sure wink.gif

But giving a reference to SR3, rule-wise, in a SR4-forum doesn't offer much help, i guess (as BookWyrm did).
hyzmarca
Actually, the neck pinch is an application of the Vulcan limited psycic ability that all Vulcans possess which is why it works regardless of the target's species or physiology. It is basicly a touch-range stun spell.
boskop-albatros
I've been on vacation and I've benn drinking---ok the krik mentor spirt mention was just a bit of a comeback that worked---but never mind that now; if their was a dragon up on Mars at one Time (whenever the hell that was) like was shown in the pic the good ol' BIG D provided----could there be any POWER SITES on Mars I mean Come ON!-----Their is a Friggin' Face on Mars~ It has GOT!--TO--HAVE Some Kind of Background Count!! love.gif love.gif
PlatonicPimp
My friend, you allude to things that are hinted at by crazy conspiracy theorists in the game. There is no real evidence (Or even dramatic allusion) to the things you are talking about. If you want to go with them, that's fine. They aren't canon, nor are they particuarly NOT canon. They are meant to be things for players to think about and get creeped out over because there are no answers for them.
So if you want us to provide the last peaice of evidence for you to pull together your crazy conspiracy theory, we can't. The writers specifically leave that information out so that we are always in the position of wondering.

emo samurai
How about the "shout your hated enemy's name" ability? "KHAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!! KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!"
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (emo samurai)
How about the "shout your hated enemy's name" ability? "KHAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!! KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!"

Shatner's finest moment?
It may be. It may well be. (better than rocket-man)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012