Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drones question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ragna
Heya!

Do i buy an os and link to my drone, or do i buy the programs seperatly?
Pilot, Firewall, System and Response?

Tarko
Why buy the same progs again when you can hack them; P.228 'Source code and piracy'
Ragna
But can this be done at character creation? I havent read sr4 that good, opened it a few days ago.
Jaid
depends on your GM, i suppose.
Tarko
well... unless your char havent been alive before its first run, I'm pretty sure he had time, yes.

But it IS a GM'call
Ragna
Okay, i can see that Pilot and Firewall can be cracked and copied, since they both are software.

But what about response and system? i cant seem to find anything on the drones' stats, but on both the rigger and smuggler, it's stated alongside the vehicle
Backgammon
Drones are have a Device Rating of 3, as per the table on p.214. Therefore, all of their Matrix attributes are at 3 unless you specifically jack it up by purchasing and installing better components.

Drones do not have a System rating: they have a Pilot rating.
Ragna
Sweet, that cleared it up for me.

Thanks
Ragna

Thanks
Ragna

Thanks
Ragna

Thanks
fistandantilus4.0
sweet, guess it's all clear for him. biggrin.gif
Critias
What makes you say that?
Ragna
Sorry, internet was slow, didnt get an update when i posted reply! Just have to talk to my GM.
nick012000
I'll point out that security vehicles are rating 4 and militaryvehicles are rating 5.

The difference between the heavier drones and sec-grade and mil-grade vehicles is what, precisely?
Tarko
QUOTE (nick012000)
I'll point out that security vehicles are rating 4 and militaryvehicles are rating 5.

What page is that info?
Jaid
table on page 214 in combination with info found on page 213 under 'device rating'
Tarko
hum... thats weird, we have no clue as wich drone/vehicule is what. Altho we can always assume, it is an other case of 'go on, make your own rules'
Jaid
well, here's how i would handle it:

going to the vehicle table, most of the vehicles have a simple availability rating (ie are not restricted or forbidden), if anything. some have availability of '-'

going to the military/security vehicles, of which none of those are military to my knowledge (or at least, not specifically... iirc, all of those are used by security forces legitimately) they are all restricted.

the wasp is listead as being designed for police work, and is restricted.

the banshee is listed as being designed for courier and reconnaisance duty, and is forbidden. not sure why it's forbidden as such, but perhaps it is military? then again, maybe it's just forbidden 'cause so many smugglers prefer T-birds. who knows.

of the drones, only 2 have anything beyond a basic availability: the autodoc and the steel lynx. now, IMO, the autodoc is ridiculous (medkit rating 4 is no problem, but strap some wheels on that thing and all of a sudden it's restricted? riiii-iiight....), but the steel lynx is pretty obviously either military or security.... given it's designed for 'hardened ground combat' i'm gonna say military (compare to the doberman, which also comes standard with a gun/mount, and is a perimeter patrol drone. oddly, no avail. restrictions... )

so then, pretty much the only thing that would be military, IMO, is the steel lynx. the doberman should probably be security, but has no limitations on who can own it, so i guess i'll stick it with regular (i suppose you *could* just put a taser into it or something and use it for home defense... )

and possibly the banshee for military.

but that's just how i'd rule it...
Tarko
QUOTE (Jaid)
but that's just how i'd rule it...

Thats what I meant with
Altho we can always assume, it is an other case of 'go on, make your own rules'

But yea, going with Avail is the good starting point.
What about:

standar drones/vehicules: unrestricted (# and -)
Security: restricted ®
Military: forbiden (F) (that would make th T-bird the only military vehicule in the game)

but then again, p.342, there IS a section called 'Military and Security vehicules' that are only ®
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (Jaid)
of the drones, only 2 have anything beyond a basic availability: the autodoc and the steel lynx. now, IMO, the autodoc is ridiculous (medkit rating 4 is no problem, but strap some wheels on that thing and all of a sudden it's restricted? riiii-iiight....)

Think "organ-leggers."
Jaid
think about the regular medkit, rating 4:

availability -, 400 nuyen.gif

medkit, rating 4 on wheels:

availability 8R, 4,000 nuyen.gif

for 4,000 nuyen.gif the organ legger can buy a dodge scoot, a rating 4 medkit, and 12 refills for that medkit. and it's all got availability -

i still am not seeing how an autodoc merits a restricted availability. it can't perform surgery or anything, it's just a drone that has a medkit in it. it's intended use is to stabilise people.
Kev
Yeah, but you can control the AutoDoc drone with a VCR. And maybe it's a helluvalot smaller than the Dodge Scoot. biggrin.gif
Jaid
1) there is no VCR wink.gif
2) who cares. the control rig really isn't all that much more impressive than no control rig. better, yes. mind-blowingly better to such an extent that if you don't have one you may as well just drive your car into a wall it is not (unlike SR3, or so i understand)
3) bigger also means better weight capacity. ie, more cargo capabilities. it also doubles as an escape vehicle.
4) the scoot is also faster.
5) and if you prefer, you can buy a medkit (rating 4) and a C-D dalmation for 2,600 nuyen.gif, plus maybe a couple more nuyen.gif for a roll of duct tape, and you just got yourself a drone which is just as large, much faster (also faster than the scoot), and can *fly* wherever you need. for another 1,000 nuyen.gif (3,600 total) you can get a sattellite uplink for it (plus one for your commlink) and control it from afar, and you've still got enough money left over for 8 refills on your medkit.

now then, the autodoc of previous editions might warrant a restricted rating, since i seem to recall they were able to perform surgery previously. now i could see that being something you don't want just anyone having. but at present, all they have is a medkit. which you can buy without any trouble, or even having to expend any effort looking for one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012