Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: As Seen on "Beyond Tomorrow
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Weredigo
So I was bored the other night and watching the DiscoveryScience channel. Not sure how new/old this innovation is but it's a Carchip. Basically it's a BlackBox for your car. You can unplug it from said car and into computer, and it will tell you the if it's gone over the speed limit ( 60 ) how long it did this for, how far it's traveled, time of travel so on and so forth.

In our game (warning, non canon material ensueth) we like to do some houseruling and experiment with different bits of innovation and invention. I'm thinking that if this chip is available now, by the 2050's - 70's it'll be more effective than the stoplight cam's they're using right now.

If it's designed to be an integral part of the starting, ignition, and charging systems of a car then Lonestar Officer could just plug in a PockSec and pull up the vehicles history.

That history would be a bit more extensive then what the modern chip can record, GPA record to tell exactly where the vehicle was, Size Weight and Build of the operator.

Run Without chip, could be done with the Technical know how. However heavy punishment could be dealt to vehicles without chips. Impound, Demolition...

Plan for not allowing CarChip to ruin a Run. 1A. Take your own vehicle to a public disreputable place, B. Purchase an Alabi from Bartender, Waitress, Manager, Owner, Whoever you know you can trust, C. Call Your Fixer (who should be willing to secure and deliver anything you might need to acquire to complete a job for the right price) and ask for a vehicle, D. Fixer calls someone who they know has vehicles to lend out, E. Wait, F. Get in the Vehicle, do the Job, Leave Vehicle somewhere not too far from previous public disreputable place, Get on your bike, Go.
2A. Spend a bit of time as a group searching for a vehicle big enough for everybody, B In a Team Effort Boost said vehile, C Do the Job, D Ditch the Vehicle somewhere not too far away from your own Vehicles, E At this point in time it's each to thier own as far as getting to one's own vehicle and slotting the frak out of there.
fistandantilus4.0
In Rigger 3, it talks about something similar. Since the majority of vehicles are hooked up to Gridguide, and every license plate has a bar code, the police don't bother patrolling for traffic tickets. If you speed, they're issued automatically. And usually they automatically deduct from your account as well. No fuss , no muss, no screwin' around.

Also, each vehicle comes stock with what's called a terminator chip. Meaning that if you're involved in a high speed chase, the cops bring up your information form your plate, get your registration, pull up your vehicles comm code, and send the signal to your car. Then the engine turns off. Also useful if you want to hit a target in a moving vehicle. Handy for extractions if you've got a good decker.

That can be removed, but it's actually a pretty hard test, and takes about half an hour base time IIRC. Which means that it's a lot harder to be a car thief in 2060+, since you now have to be a very proficient electrician/mechanic.
nick012000
Does that mean your hacker can pull the same stunt on the cops? nyahnyah.gif
BookWyrm
It's possible.
Birdy
This "carchip" is basically the "Unfall Datenschreiber" (Accident data recorder) that can be found in some current model cars and can be added to most. The current models run in a "x seconds" loop, only recording the last few seconds and "freezing" the data when the detect a crash.

Some trucks already have a similar system as part of the german TollCollect toll road system. Whenever the "driving dutchman" is not trying to cheat the german taxpayer by blocking up secondary roads instead of using the Autobahn, the OnBoardUnit (OBU) uses GPS to track his whereabouts. Well, it also does away from the Autobahn but there are no toll-bridges - yet. But conveniently failing tractors are a nice start cool.gif

Q: What does happen if you fail the german drivers test three times?
A: You get a yellow-black licence plate and a Truck!

Birdy

(Yellow-Black=Netherland)
nick012000
If memory serves, it records much more than the last few seconds. I remember watching that episode, and they were showing how the teenagers were driving.

"So you went above 100 mph for 20 seconds? Naughty girl."
Birdy
QUOTE (nick012000)
If memory serves, it records much more than the last few seconds. I remember watching that episode, and they were showing how the teenagers were driving.

"So you went above 100 mph for 20 seconds? Naughty girl."

With the OBU and electronic data recorder the recorded time is longer, basically a few days if necessary.

It's just the current "accident recorder" that has a short memory since only the last few seconds are needed. Otoh it records such stuff as wether you had the turning indicator on etc.
nezumi
QUOTE (nick012000)
Does that mean your hacker can pull the same stunt on the cops? nyahnyah.gif

I would suspect not. If you look at current cars, most have been programmed not to go over 110mph (it's called the 'governor chip', from people who know this stuff - not me). Police cars have these removed. I would expect police would remove the 'stop driving' chip too (although it isn't quite analgous, I know.)
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (nezumi)
If you look at current cars, most have been programmed not to go over 110mph (it's called the 'governor chip', from people who know this stuff - not me). Police cars have these removed. I would expect police would remove the 'stop driving' chip too (although it isn't quite analgous, I know.)

So the moral of the story? Steal a police car at the first opportunity.

nezumi
Funny thing, police seem to spend a little more energy chasing down people who have stolen police cruisers. Probably easier just to take out the chip yourself.
The Stainless Steel Rat
But

"It's got a cop motor, a four hundred and forty cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks, it was a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas!"
Jrayjoker
"Hit it."
Moon-Hawk
Fix the cigarette lighter.
Mr.Platinum
If i have a player that can explain what he wants to do and it souinds good, i let em.
Weredigo
The Stainless Steel Rat :"It's got a cop motor, a four hundred and forty cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks, it was a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas!"

50 KP if you can name Jimmy DiGriz's Mentor

Moon-Hawk : Fix the cigarette lighter.

Jrayjoker : "Hit it."

10 KP a peice for making the connection.

and another ten for first person who can answer truthfully,

DuPage County Illinois, real or not???
Mr.Platinum
I typed in Jimmy digrizz in a search engine and this is what i got.

http://www.loc.gov/nls/tbt/1999/4julaug.txt

only thing that came up/
Mr.Platinum
it's pretty useless i say.
socsci
The Bishop = mentor of SSR (aka Jimmy DiGriz)

The connection is from The Blues Brothers: Jake says "fix the cigarette lighter" after Elwood describes the new Bluesmobile (the cop this, cop that quote) and the "Hit it" is Jake's response to the "it's 106 miles to Chicago..." line from Elwood.

Evidently there is a DuPage county... http://www.co.dupage.il.us/ although Google helped with that one.
The Stainless Steel Rat
Damn you Socsci! Now I can't get my 50 KP!

Can I get 5 for knowing his middle name is Bolivar?
Nomad
DuPage County exists - The real question is if they were going through Will, DuPage, and McHenry, why the hell didn't they go through Lake as well. Since it is the one directly north of Chicago.
Weredigo
'Cause there's only Senior Citizens in the Lake area, at least the North/Lake area.

Yeah sure SSR I'll let it slide.
The Stainless Steel Rat
biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012