Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Real Skinlink prototype
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
kigmatzomat
Skinlink is here. Okay, its only 2Mbps right now (slower than USB 1.1) but it works up to 20cm (~8 inches) away from the body. I imagine the first uses will be wireless headsets free of interference (a common problem with BlueTooth).
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
Skinlink is here. Okay, its only 2Mbps right now (slower than USB 1.1) but it works up to 20cm (~8 inches) away from the body. I imagine the first uses will be wireless headsets free of interference (a common problem with BlueTooth).

It's been here. The MIT Media Lab was publishing papers about this type of tech nearly 10 years ago.
emo samurai
So, why haven't people embraced it until now?
RunnerPaul
Well, the prototypes described in the 1996 paper were operating at 1200 bits per second. It's taken them ten years to get it up to 2 Mbps, so I imagine that there have been several difficult technical hurdles that had to be overcome to get the thing to where it's at a workable (but painfully slow) bandwidth.

Tarko
probably related to electrocution biggrin.gif
emo samurai
Do you have to implant anything? I don't want to lose Essence.
RunnerPaul
In RL, no.
In SR4 no.
Dale
But I wanna implant something frown.gif
Kyuhan
It's like Metal Gear Solid tech too, except theirs is PAN, Personal Area Network.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (emo samurai)
So, why haven't people embraced it until now?

Very Punny. Since the article says you can transmit by touch.

rotfl.gif
emo samurai
I didn't mean anything by that. But thanks for giving me credit.
Mr.Platinum
QUOTE (Dale)
But I wanna implant something frown.gif

How about breast implant? they add cosmetic glee.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012