Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Big D's Will
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lazarus
Just curious about this. I don't read much of the SR novels and I was wondering if anyone has put together what some of those esoteric things in Big D's Will actually mean? Any help is appreciated.
Ancient History
Help.
stevebugge
Some like the Dragon's Heart have been pretty well covered, Clockwork Assylum et al, and many items appeared in Survival of the Fittest (Shroud of Shadows, Jade Dragon of Wind and Fire, Elemental Scrolls IIRC) Some are only briefly alluded to in other sourcebooks. I believe one of the Coins of Luck features in Blood in the Boardroom. Some are not covered at all. Ancient History has a nice compilation of the Will I would recommend looking at.
stevebugge
That and he's a faster typer than I am
RunnerPaul
Or merely more concise.
Lazarus
Thanks Ancient!
Mr.Platinum
The ancient files are very handy, i would one day liek to shake ancients hand for providing such information.
Snow_Fox
As soon as I saw that thread title, I wondered how long until someone linked AH's work.
Snow_Fox
Since the topic is brought up here-just before Xmas I was in the local Target and they were selling Jiffy-pop. I haven't seen this in years, neither had D which is why it was in the will. I didn't buy it but I did have a look at the leagal stuff on it. It is owned by some corp out of Nebraska.
tisoz
Lol.

I was shopping a couple of weeks ago when some guy in his 50s (at least) asked about Jiffy Pop. The cashier, in her early 20s, had never even heard of it. The store manager came over and said they didn't carry it, then they reminisced about how it never popped as good as it did on the commercials.
Moon-Hawk
I can get it to pop like that; they're just not doing it right.
Jrayjoker
Gas stove, low heat, good.

Electric stove, any heat, bad.
Moon-Hawk
True. True.
A campfire works okay, too, but you've got to jam a stick or something in the handle, 'cause it's short and metal, and yeah, burning.
Valentinew
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
Gas stove, low heat, good.

Electric stove, any heat, bad.

Take out the heat settings, & you have my philosophy for stoves in general.

Now if I could just get my husband to understand that....
Snow_Fox
Gas- easily controled, instant response as the level of flame changed. Electric, slow response as elements cool down or heat up.

What doesn't he understand?
stevebugge
And electric doesn't get hot enough for doing decent stir fry with a Carbon Steel Wok.
Jrayjoker
Wow, we made it from the big D's will to the merits of gas versus electric stoves. I am impressed.
Zolhex
HE HE my local Albertson's carries Jiffy Pop I saw it about 2 years ago I think it was and thought hum what a handy game prop lol.
Mr.Platinum
QUOTE (stevebugge)
And electric doesn't get hot enough for doing decent stir fry with a Carbon Steel Wok.

Yeah right your making Hash oil.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Mr.Platinum)
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Dec 30 2005, 06:05 PM)

Hash Oil????? Can't say I'm familiar with this concept.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
Wow, we made it from the big D's will to the merits of gas versus electric stoves. I am impressed.

Heck, this sort of drift is down right normal around here.

You can stir fry on an electric stove. it just takes longer for the wok to heat the oil.
stevebugge
I'm not saying it can't be done on an electric stove, seeing as how my apartment has an electric stove and I stir fry a lot, but the results do seem to be much better on a gas stove.
Mr.Platinum
Oh yeah , you americans out their have these strict laws against Weed.

Better Not Say Anything.
Kagetenshi
Electric is better for water-boiling tasks, as you don't need quick heat changes and electric results in less heat at the container handles. Stir-frying, however, is right out.

~J
Mr.Platinum
Must be some real cooks in the area of the forum and they must be really tech too.
ShadowDragon8685
In every possible field of interest, there must be a SOTA. And for every field of interest with a SOTA (read: all of them,) there are those who can and will bounce and debate back and forth about it for hours.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
QUOTE (Jrayjoker @ Dec 30 2005, 01:11 PM)

Heck, this sort of drift is down right normal around here.

You can stir fry on an electric stove. it just takes longer for the wok to heat the oil.

give us five more minutes and we can be on bi, tran, multi, ambi etc -sexuality.

on an unrelated note, has anybody seen subrosa post lately?
FrostyNSO
What I don't like are gas stoves with electric ignition, which are like, all of them now. Don't get me wrong, I'm a gas stove guy, and there's nothing quite like bending over and checking the setting visually and seeing good ol' fire (I never trust the dials), but I don't like having the power go out, and not only being down just a microwave, but having to search around in the dark for matches too.

If I could just light a stove with a flashlight...
tisoz
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman)
give us five more minutes and we can be on bi, tran, multi, ambi etc -sexuality.

Subrosa has not posted in over 2 years, like since the Lounge shut down.
Snow_Fox
Subrosa carried over to another forum I hang in but disappeared from there about 8 months ago.

There was something of a dispute between SR and a Christian fundie (Techboy is you know him) but it didn't seem too bad and he's the most polite fundie I've ever met. I get the feeling SR had real personal problems in the real world.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (tisoz @ Dec 31 2005, 08:18 PM)
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman @ Dec 31 2005, 01:43 AM)

Subrosa has not posted in over 2 years, like since the Lounge shut down.

You're a sharp cookie... that's why I like your posts, tisoz biggrin.gif cool.gif

QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
Subrosa carried over to another forum I hang in but disappeared from there about 8 months ago.

There was something of a dispute between SR and a Christian fundie (Techboy is you know him) but it didn't seem too bad and he's the most polite fundie I've ever met. I get the feeling SR had real personal problems in the real world.
I think you got the nail on the head, on all points.
Sounds like Techboy has the right idea about saying the "truth" with love...
I know this dude, nicest guy you could ever hope to meet. Serious Christian Fundamentalist, True Believer, if you follow. His favorite quote is the one from Ghandi about "I love Christians, I've just never met one." He takes it as a challenge to walk the walk.
SpasticTeapot
To bring this back on topic:
Nice job, AH. Makes one wonder if you're really Ehran in disguise.
(It's not like your nickname is entirely inappropriate, either...)
Mr.Platinum
Hey havent i seen Ancients name in a source book? or was it some one elses name?
Grinder
He appeared as a poster, yes. Though i can't remember in which Sb.
Mr.Platinum
He has earned it though.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (stevebugge)
QUOTE (Mr.Platinum @ Dec 30 2005, 12:37 PM)
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Dec 30 2005, 06:05 PM)

Hash Oil????? Can't say I'm familiar with this concept.

Hashish oil, more commonly called hash oil, is a thick liquid made from dissolving hashish or marijuana in solvents like ether and alcohol. The solvent is then allowed to evaporate and the substance that remains is a concentrated form of cannabis known as hash.
BetaFlame
QUOTE (Grinder)

I think it was in System Failure. Something along the lines of "They can have my deck when they pry it from my cold dead hands" in the wireless matrix section.

What can I say? I have a good memory smile.gif
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (SpasticTeapot)
To bring this back on topic:
Nice job, AH. Makes one wonder if you're really Ehran in disguise.
(It's not like your nickname is entirely inappropriate, either...)

damn you and your ability to stay focused despite my best abiliies!

*curses*

Actually, in an uncharacteristically on topic note, I have something to share that's quasi- appropriate to the subject at hand.

I might have shared this before, but it's for the sake of those who have not had the benefit ( or harm?) of being subjected to the story;

our team had been running every week for about a year or so, and we were ready to wrap up the campaign, and to make a long story... well, less long, it was a pretty fun run. the warehouse we hit had freight elevators with flame throwers in them.

so it turned out we were stealing the ghoul synth flesh requested in Big D's will, and my charcter being a True Believer in Dunklezahn's humanitarian intent was the first to push for dropping it off with the Draco Foundation. I had the honor of making the phonecall during our getaway.

Good evening, Draco Foundation, how may we direct your call?

Hi there, my name is, well, that's not so important right now. Anyway, I'm a big fan of Dunklezahn's and these folks I work with, and I, we are coming in hot, with something ya'll are pretty interested in, I think. Might want to prepare a welcoming party.... not for us really but in case we bring any uninvited guests.

So we called back as we were approaching their gate, and they rolled out the welcome wagon... you can imagine the amusing scene in their garage as we pulled in, us loaded for bear fresh from a run, a wary security team recieving us.... me being a fanboi and all... it made for a humorous exchange. They took possesion of the synth flesh and smoothed things over with our original boss. We got a tidy sum and retired.
Ophis
QUOTE (BetaFlame)
QUOTE (Grinder @ Jan 2 2006, 08:20 AM)

I think it was in System Failure. Something along the lines of "They can have my deck when they pry it from my cold dead hands" in the wireless matrix section.

What can I say? I have a good memory smile.gif

Also from System failure AH replies to the comment (on dankwalther's death)

"They wasted a thor shot on one fragging guy"
With the beautiful
"No they wasted one guy with a fragging thor shot."

I want to no if he actually said this...

Also far from his only post he appears in several books.
Ancient History
Yeah, I got some really nice lines in System Failure. <sniff> Those darn authors are just the best.
Bullet Raven
typical, now I find there are hidden goodies to look for in System Failure, I haven't brought it home with me >:(
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012