Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: KA-GE
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Straight Razor
in the back of my shadow beat book i noticed an add for KA-GE.
WTF was it? little history lession plz.
Adam
KA*GE was an old Shadowrun magazine; they produced roughly a dozen issues before going out of business.
Slump
Interesting to note: Kage is japanese for "Shadow"

(another interesting note: Remember Johnny Cage from Mortal Kombat? Wern't all all his moves shadow-related?)
Mr.Platinum
QUOTE (Slump @ Dec 30 2005, 10:15 PM)

(another interesting note:  Remember Johnny Cage from Mortal Kombat?  Wern't all all his moves shadow-related?)

Johny K, why havent you been disemboweled by Johny 5?

I also have a couple of these issues aying around some where.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Slump)

Uh, that was the point chummer.
Mr.Platinum
Yeah and Johny Cage has Jack to do with Shadowrun, i was hijacked myself.
Toptomcat
Anyplace where it's possible to find back issues- legal or no?
RunnerPaul
They turn up on eBay every so often.
cleggster

I have some issues if this. Subscribed when it first came out. Not a lot in it that is relevant now though. But I wonder about scanning then and posting them? I don't think there is any copyright involved now. No FASA. Of course I don't have a scanner. Or a web site to post.But if I could get access to one, would anybody be interested in posting them? Assuming it's legal, and sombody hasn't already?

the_dunner
Posting them without permission would still be illegal -- copyright's don't expire until 70 years after the creator's death. (This number will increase sometime before 2036, or Disney will go under.)

Further, because these were magazine publications, it's most likely that copyright on them is still held by the original authors, not by FASA or the group that published Kage. (IIRC, it was published by a FASA licensee.) So, identifying who holds those copyrights would be a rather daunting task. Especially for material that was essentially fanfic.
Reaver
QUOTE (the_dunner)
Posting them without permission would still be illegal -- copyright's don't expire until 70 years after the creator's death. (This number will increase sometime before 2036, or Disney will go under.)

Further, because these were magazine publications, it's most likely that copyright on them is still held by the original authors, not by FASA or the group that published Kage. (IIRC, it was published by a FASA licensee.) So, identifying who holds those copyrights would be a rather daunting task. Especially for material that was essentially fanfic.

Sounds like a shadowrun opportunity. wink.gif
emo samurai
What did Kage have? Or is it Ka-Ge? I'm confused. Did it have new edges and flaws? That would be awesome.
Adam
QUOTE (the_dunner)

I'm under the impression that FASA owned the copyrights, as they normally did with licensed products, and that they're just a part of the normal Shadowrun IP -- so WizKids owns them now. Same with Shadowland magazine.
Ancient History
The copyright text on one of my copies reads:

All material in Ka-ge are ©1993 AWOL Productions and ®FASA Corporation.
Mr.Platinum
QUOTE (Ancient History)
The copyright text on one of my copies reads:

All material in Ka-ge are ©1993 AWOL Productions and ®FASA Corporation.

yup thats what mine says also.
the_dunner
Again, I could be way off here, but most gaming magazines from that era only purchased right of first print from their freelancers. (I'm thinking of Challenge, Dungeon, Dragon, Shadis, Roleplayer, and Pyramid.) Yes, they'd still be able to indicate that FASA held the copyright (just as is indicated in the front cover by the copyright imprint you've noted). However, if they were to be reprinted (physically or electronically), then the original contract would need to be renegotiated.

The only way to be certain if they bought full rights or just first print rights would be to review the original contracts signed by the authors with AWOL. (Or, get anecdotal evidence from an employee who was with one of those companies and knew the contract terms at the time.)

This is why there was a huge snafu a few years back with Dragon released their CD-ROM archive. They didn't have the rights they needed to release them. This is also why, when Pyramid first went on-line, they electronically released a ton of materials from old Challenges and Shadis -- the authors were able to re-sell their rights to Pyramid.
BookWyrm
KAGE (Kah-Gey), aka "Shadow", was a shortlived SR-themed mag produced by FASA & AWOL Productions to function sort of like an official magazine, but also with a APAzine (Amatuer Press Association 'zine) feel. It did alright for it's first year. I have an entire run of the mag, even a couple of extra copies with my own contribution. But the mag quickly folded. Another mag with slightly better production, called Shadowland did a few issues, then faded fast.
Dakhran the Dark
Ahh, KAGE. I have most of the issues lying around somewhere, collecting dust. Along with my BABY. And hardcopy printouts of TSS and Plastic Warriors's NAGEE...

Hmm, speaking of TSS...hey Adam, what's the story?
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (BookWyrm)
even a couple of extra copies with my own contribution.

You were a contributer? Would you be able to share your details your legal dealings with AWOL Productions with respect to the copyright of the material you contributed?
KarmaInferno
I just have horrible memories of abominations from that 'zine, like the Null Magic Adept.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Dakhran the Dark)
Hmm, speaking of TSS...hey Adam, what's the story?

There's not much story. I've been exceptionally busy for the last, oh, eight months or so, and when I'm not working on paid RPG stuff I'm trying to spend my free time on other hobbies and interests.

Unfortunately, since it's been so long since we've done anything, motivation is pretty low. I'll see if I can scrape some up, because we do have a few articles that are probably 80% ready to go.
Zolhex
I had the chance to get all the ka-ge issues includeing an issue 0 but sadly I dropped the ball I.E. forgot the dang auction was ending oh well.

As for shadowland there were what 7 issues I think too lazy to go over and look (hehe) but I have all of those.

On the posting to a website I would think if you contacted Wizkids and said you were willing to do all the work and stuff they might just say go for it as the ka-ge magazines really are far outta date now.

They may say ok thinking most people would like to see the issues but wouldn't more than likely pay for them.

But hey they may have no say in it who knows but it couldn't hurt to inquire with them heck they may know who you should contact.

That's my thoughts on this but then again my thoughts are not worth shit so who cares lol.
Sahandrian
I had a PDF of a KaGe issue back when I relied on pirating things for games (guy I always borrowed books from moved to another state). Number 9 I think. Maybe 4. My hard drive died since then, so those are all gone.

Not that it matters anymore, now that I've bought pretty much every SR3 rulebook.

Chance it's on a CD somewhere, though I don't care to look for it, since I have a couple hundred old unlabeled backup CDs...
Adam
Putting PDFs of KA*GE [and Shadowland] online is part of FanPro's long term eBook publishing plan.
BookWyrm
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Jan 5 2006, 11:53 PM)
even a couple of extra copies with my own contribution.

You were a contributer? Would you be able to share your details your legal dealings with AWOL Productions with respect to the copyright of the material you contributed?

I followed the guidelines for article submission, then sent in my contribution. A few weeks later, I got several issues in the mail along with my own subscription issue.
The contribution became the property of AWOL Productions, FASA Corp & the licence holders of the RPG source material (FASA & it's founders).

To my knowledge, whomever holds the rights to Shadowrun & it's relevant materials holds the rights to reprint said materials. Therefore, if some publishing company wanted to print a "Best of KAGE" sourcebook, whether online or hardcopy, they would look up (if they still exist) AWOL Productions, then start inquiries to FanPro/WizKids about said reproductions. As distasteful as it sounds, you'd definately work with the copyright lawyers to make sure no proverbial toes are stepped on, the original authors are to be informed, and whatever legal fees are required. If all parties agree, then the SB goes into production.

Let's not forget that Copyright Lawyers are a viscious breed, even unto themselves. Think of the Awakened shark, the Megalodon, amongst a pack of normal Great Whites. One single drop of blood nearby and......well, you get the image.
BookWyrm
QUOTE (Adam)
Putting PDFs of KA*GE [and Shadowland] online is part of FanPro's long term eBook publishing plan.

This I would hope for & look forward to.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012