Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Analogies
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dog
I was thinking of new methods of introducing game concepts to new players, and my mind started to drift to examples from movies.
Now, we've all pointed out that this movie, or that movie is a good example of a Shadowrun, but I was thinking about more specific images. Like, can anyone point towards a good example of an unnaturally large humanoid trying to get by in modern society? It doesn't have to be a troll, exactly, but something that shows what a hard time trolls would have.
Or, what about good or poor uses of skills, attributes, edges or flaws? I've got an example: Big Trouble in Little China, when they con their way into the warehouse by claiming to be the Phone Company. I'd use that as an example of either a good roll on a very low fast talk skill, or a really good roll defaulting to Charisma.
Anybody got other examples? How would t-bird combat look? Corporate extraterritoriality? Mages vs. Shamans? The difference between body 2 and body 8 attributes?
Lazarus
One thing I would do, especially for your players who aren't really tall or big is to try and see if they could buy clothes for a really tall or big person. Have them list all the places they can and compare that to all the places were you can purchase normal sizes. Then say "Now imagine your a Troll and you only make up 1% of the population."

Or better yet if you have a little brother or sister try having a normal group member ride their bike or tricycle. That would be close to a Troll on a bike built for a human. It may not be that bad but it's close. A Troll riding a bike for human would be closer to a big person riding a scooter.

Corporate extraterritoriality: Read any history about Britain's presence in China during the late 19th Century.
Muzzaro
I agree with Lazarus. I'm a.... ah well, i'm a fat guy, 6ft tall , and it's very hard to buy clothing that fits. I need 3xl (UK) sizes, and i know of two shops in town that cater to my size, and a mail order catalogue. I am reduced to buying what is on the racks, rather than shopping for "fashion", and end up wearing some cruddy looking clothing, or plain stuff. I also notice that if you pay less money for the big sizes, you can guarentee they will start to de-thread, or shrink first wash, etc...

Trolls would end up dressed in stuff that is totally unregular, like hawian shirts in the middle of winter, or will have a very plain look to them. Some of them will be wearing shrunken or damaged clothing that has been badly patched up.

Also, using me again (use me! Use me! sleepy.gif ) i have difficulty getting in and out of small cars. You know the ones, two doors, look like they were made for kids rather than adults. It can take me anything up to a minute or two, to try and un-stretch and roll out onto the floor. I also fear damaging the car with my weight, although i've been assured by people that they test them with four average sized people, and i only take up around one and a half average people...

The smaller trolls, and normal/larger orks will have problems like these, as well as elves. Small cars are NOT made for tall people. Hell be it if a small car, full of elven gangers, chasing you, needs to evacuate the car in a hurry (someone's just priming a grenade to toss at the vehicle) because they'd all be dead before they manage to leave the vehicle.

Not what you wanted exactly, but i hope it helps?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012