Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Assorted b00b questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Mauler
Hi there, I'm the new guy. smile.gif

I got SR4 for Xmas and spent the last days reading. Now I have some questions... maybe you veterans can help me?

First question: A shotgun's range is almost halved when loading Flechette Ammo. Sounds reasonable enough, but what happens to other firearms using Flechette Ammo? Is their range reduced as well?

Edit: The title should read 'n00b' not 'b00b', sorry... embarrassed.gif
Jaid
heh, was wondering about the title nyahnyah.gif

anyways, as far as i can tell, flechette has no drawbacks for any other guns. so don't ever use regular ammo unless you're fighting someone who's not worth the money for something better.
JongWK
Dammit, I was lured by the title. silly.gif
Bullet Raven
QUOTE (JongWK)
Dammit, I was lured by the title. silly.gif

this
Dale
Where the hell's the boob question?
Bullet Raven
Cyber boobs!
Jaid
actually, i think there was a post about cyber boobs a while back.

specifically, i think it was talking about how IRL someone got a mp3 player or something in an implant nyahnyah.gif
Tsuul
With organ cloning and mass production advances wouldn't having a boob job to have So-and-so's boobs take on a whole new level.

As for the guns, I don't think flichete reduces the range in non-shotguns. But why are we talking about guns in a boob thread. ... Unless we are realy talking about Fem-bots. The only soft and cuddly cyberzombies.
Cold-Dragon
would that be considered a cybergun? heheh...
hyzmarca
You don't need to be a cyberzombie to fit a shotgun in a breast you just need a creative surgeon. Certainly, it would be a surprise to gropers.

Cold-Dragon
"Hey baby, how are you *BANG!* Aouuu God my hand! You SHOT my *bleep*in hand off! What the *bleep*! *several more bleeps spread out randomly* My hand *and some more bleeps*
Ryu
Austin Powers-style boob guns loaded with flechette? Range won´t matter, the opponents are lured closer first... like all of us into this thread...

*thinksaboutitandducksbehindcover*
Ed_209a
*thinks about supercolliginated skingrafts and an internal neosilicone pump inside the chest leading to the smart polymer implants*

Any size, any shape, any texture, any time...

Man I need a GF...
Mauler
Lol, such a small typo...
Sorry again guys.
Ok, here is another question: Since a gas mask grants immunity to inhalation toxins, why would I buy a more expensive Respirator that just adds dice to the test? Did I miss something?
FrankTrollman
The gas mask has an air resevoire and has a limited duration. Also it is bulkier and heavier. A human operating at high exertion is running through about 6 grams of Oxygen a minute, and that adds up really fast if it is your intent to keep all of it inside an enviro-sealed suit that you carry around with you. Humans don't absorb nearly 100% of the Oxygen they breathe in, so anything capable of keeping you going for even an hour of heavy activity is going to be quite heavy. And at that point, "heavy activity" might include "carrying the heavy Oxygen resevoire."

-Frank
Bullet Raven
nevermind
Jaid
also, in some places it's actually common to wear a respirator in public.

it's probably a lot less common to wear a gas mask everywhere you go.

plus gas masks are unpleasant to wear, or such is my understanding (having never actually worn one to be honest).
warrior_allanon
gas masks are not all that bad to wear, (from experience), its a lot better than say puking your guts up, literally. the only suggestion i would give would be to not try and fire anything that you have to pull close to aim. their a real pain then. spray and pray weapons, pistols and shotguns are fine, but something like an XM-30 or a Barret would be a pain.
Mauler
Thanks for all the help.
I especially like the thought that Gas Masks interfere with sight while Respirators do not... some food for thought there...
Here is another:
What happens if someone gets affected by the same toxin more than once in short succession? For example someone is hit twice by a Squirt Gun loaded with Narcoject that was fired in SA mode... What happens when the turn ends? Some kind of overdose effect? Or is affected just affected and that's it? How long until he can be affected again? Just asking for your input here...
mfb
bleagh, gas masks suck, especially if they're old. there are internal leaks, so your lenses are constantly fogging up; your face sweats and creates pools wherever the mask clamps against your skin; you can't breathe as easily; old straps lose their elasticity, so you have to draw the damn mask painfully tight just to make sure there aren't external leaks; trying to get a drink requires a special attachment, the mouthpiece of which is constantly poking into your lip... i could go on, but suffice to say that i strongly disagree with warrior_allanon's assessment.
Austere Emancipator
I have to agree with mfb on the comfortability of gas masks, but I also agree with warrior_allanon in that it's better than puking your guts out. wink.gif
Darkness
QUOTE (Mauler)
What happens if someone gets affected by the same toxin more than once in short succession? For example someone is hit twice by a Squirt Gun loaded with Narcoject that was fired in SA mode... What happens when the turn ends? Some kind of overdose effect? Or is affected just affected and that's it? How long until he can be affected again? Just asking for your input here...

Well, on page 245 (Concentration), it is suggested to "increase the Power of the toxin as [the gamemaster] feels appropriate, as well as increasing the damage it causes, or its other effects by an appropriate amount".
Now what is an "appropriate amount"?

Damage-wise i would simply increase the Power of the toxin by 1 per extra dose taken after the first in the same Combat Round.
mfb
when going on our final exercize in basic, i opted to just suck up (literally) the tear gas rather than bother with the damn mask.
Jaid
for the record, when i said it was uncomfortable, i wasn't suggesting a reason someone wouldn't use one if they knew they were going to be facing some kind of unpleasant inhalation gas.

i was more pointing out why someone might prefer a respirator instead. simply put, you can be always wearing a respirator, and people might think it's a little odd, but probably won't think you're a terrorist about to gas bomb everything around you. people wear them to protect from pollution, for example.
hyzmarca
Well, it depends on how old your respirator is, as well. A brand spanking new one might not attract too much attention, a smelly duck from WWI, on the other hand, would ruin social rolls.
RunnerPaul
Which reminds me of a NSFW-ish website called www.ratemygasmask.com. Because some gas masks just look better than others.
mfb
finally, an on-topic post!
mintcar
Haha. It was on both topics I guess. Concidering the "contains nudity" warning. nyahnyah.gif

mfb:
duh!
Mauler
Platelet Factories do not reduce Stun Damage, right?
Rotbart van Dainig
That is not certain to say.
Mauler
Hm...

What is the AP value of a Sniper Rifle loaded with APDS rounds? -4 or -7?
Rotbart van Dainig
The latter.
Mauler
I see. Thanks. I just thought because in all the examples where flechette rules are applied (shotguns, fragmentation grenades etc.) the AP is replaced by +2 instead of added, it might work the same way with other ammo types. The difference might be the switch to a different armor type used to resist flechette and gel... or am I wrong there again?
Azralon
QUOTE (Mauler)
Platelet Factories do not reduce Stun Damage, right?

Prior to SR4, only Physical.

In SR4:

"Platelet factories increase the body’s ability to handle damage by accelerating the production of platelets within bone marrow, thus lessening the trauma from large wounds and quickly stopping bleeding. Any time the user suffers 2 or more points of damage, the damage is instantly reduced by one point."

.... It just says "damage." This implies both Physical and Stun.

Also, depending upon your GM, it may or may not apply to drain and/or fading. Personally I regard damage, drain, and fading to be different animals that all have the same net result (filled in condition monitor boxes); otherwise the Bear and Dark King mentor spirits become a little too dramatic.
Kerberos
On the other hand it says "wounds" and "bleeding" which IMO implies physical damage only.
Darkness
If you have a hematoma you are practically bleeding, but you have no open wound. You may get those from a "treatment" with a blunt weapon.
Is it physical or Stun damage?
Kerberos
QUOTE (Darkness)
If you have a hematoma you are practically bleeding, but you have no open wound. You may get those from a "treatment" with a blunt weapon.
Is it physical or Stun damage?

I had to look up hematoma, but as I understanf the definition I'd call that physical damage. Stun would be more along the lines of bruises.
Azralon
You unfortunately can't really restrict all Stun damage to blunt trauma and all Physical to lacerations, but those remain good guidelines. For example, I've taken a punch (Stun?) or two before that resulted in a good deal of bleeding (Physical?). Broken bones from unarmed combat are much the same thing.

For a long-and-ultimately-fruitless debate over which real world injuries would be Stun and which would be Physical, search these forums for stuff about the Lightning Bolt spell. smile.gif

So, in the spirit of abstract rules for sake of simplicity, they probably just said "Eh, platelet factory can apply to all damage."
Space Ghost
i think most blunt weapons do physical now. Just the sap and punches do stun.
hyzmarca
I'd going to go out on a limb and say that if Platelet factories reduce damage caused by a manabolt then they'll also reduce damage caused by drain. Of course, I interperate drain not as condition mointer boxes filled for no apparent reason but as raw mana ripping your body apart from the inside as you struggle to channel it into a useful spell. Stun drain may cause bruises, headaches, bleeding from eyes, nose, and mouth, ect. Physical drain causes important organs to tear and rupture, among other things. Basicly, I interperate it to be like stigmata, real wounds caused by magic. Actual cases of sitgmata and similar phenomona are probably early magicians who dont know how to handle drain.
Liper
I always view platel factories as only healing physical damage.
nick012000
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
I'd going to go out on a limb and say that if Platelet factories reduce damage caused by a manabolt then they'll also reduce damage caused by drain. Of course, I interperate drain not as condition mointer boxes filled for no apparent reason but as raw mana ripping your body apart from the inside as you struggle to channel it into a useful spell. Stun drain may cause bruises, headaches, bleeding from eyes, nose, and mouth, ect. Physical drain causes important organs to tear and rupture, among other things. Basicly, I interperate it to be like stigmata, real wounds caused by magic. Actual cases of sitgmata and similar phenomona are probably early magicians who dont know who to handle drain.

I know in one of the novels there was a Catholic preist who didn't know he was awakened, and sacrificed himself in order to summon an uber blood spirit that took the form of Jesus in the second coming. He spontaneously manifested stigmata, which were radiating lots of heat (and, presumably, magic).

It then proceeded to beat up the Azzie blood spirit that was threatening said preist and his Yucatan rebel allies in a very spectacular fashion.
Rotbart van Dainig
Sometimes, I wonder what exactly some of the fiction writers smoke.
ogbendog
QUOTE (Mauler)
Lol, such a small typo...
Sorry again guys.
Ok, here is another question: Since a gas mask grants immunity to inhalation toxins, why would I buy a more expensive Respirator that just adds dice to the test? Did I miss something?

man, I had no idea they changed that in the errats.

But here's a qustion, every inhalation gas (except nause) is also contact. So all a gas mask gives you is immunity to nausea gas. I assume you are fully effected by the other gases?

for that matter, do you still get the dice from a respirator against CS? I know from my real world experience, CS does effect on contact, but the effects are much, much stronger if it gets in your lungs, nose, eyes, etc.

I'd be temped to say for dual vector cases, that the Power of the gas is 1/2ed if you have a gas mask (you are immune to the inhalation 1/2 of the attack) and with a respirator, the extra dice from it can only reduce the power by up to 1/2
Magus
All that CS gas does on the skin is tingle, it will burn a little if you are sweating, but it is nothing like when it hits your eyes,nose.throat or lungs, I have hardly even slowed down running through a CS field with my P-Mask on in Ft. Bragg. Plus if you have any type of armor clothing on as well as a P-mask CS gas will not even effect you at all. Nerve agent is another matter if the gas gets through your mask you are screwed. Liguid agent on your skin is bad, but gaseous nerve agent I do not believe can effect you via the contact vector.
ogbendog
maybe by 2070 the tear gas is better?

in any case, the books lists both vectrors, but doesn't address what happnes if you protect only one.
Darkness
If it can get you by both vectors, and you protect only one, the other one is more than enough that you are affected.
mfb
there's a pretty big difference beween something that feels like a sunburn and something that makes you cough until you puke.
Darkness
QUOTE (mfb @ Jan 11 2006, 11:16 PM)
there's a pretty big difference beween something that feels like a sunburn and something that makes you cough until you puke.

While that may be true for RL CS gas, SR4 CS gas does this to you:
QUOTE (SR4 @ p.246, CS/Tear Gas)
It also stimulates a physiological panic response: increased heart rate, shortness of breath, and so forth. Washing thoroughly with soap and water can remove CS from the victim’s skin, thus ending the duration of the nausea
prematurely.

And that no matter the vector used. That's fine enough for me.
Fix-it
you could do that with tailored pheromones easily enough. panic spreads from person to person that way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012