Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Metahumanity and breeding
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
SunJester
I have a player in the game that I am preparing to run that would like to play an elf born to human parents. Can I assume from the statement: In 2070, most metahumans are born to parents of the same metatype on page 65 that there are still some elves born to human parents.
SL James
... or dwarf, ork, or troll parents. Yeah.
PBTHHHHT
But there are also reversions. In the character companion book about the giant metatype, if I recall correctly, it said that this one particular metatype had the highest reversion. I believe that means a human born to giant parents and not manifesting at puberty. Which is something I thought would be an interesting character background, a guy borned to an ork family and did not show any ork traits, and not a human looking ork. It'd be an interesting thing to work on his upbringing and such. His 'bigger' brothers and the social interactions, any jealousy, etc... or anything else about it. hmmm...

oh yeah, what SL said. There's still occassionally a few that would manifest other metatypes from their parents.
stevebugge
And just for the record, there are no half-breeds in SR. I am still battling with a couple of members in my group who seem dead set on having Half-Elves (to much D&D on the brain I guess).
mfb
correct. there are no half-breeds.
PlatonicPimp
QUOTE (stevebugge)
I am still battling with a couple of members in my group who seem dead set on having Half-Elves

You mean Elf Poseurs. Have them play humans with that flaw.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp @ Jan 3,2006, 05:20PM)
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Jan 3 2006, 10:06 PM)
I am still battling with a couple of members in my group who seem dead set on having Half-Elves

QUOTE (mfb @ Jan 3 2006, 05:19 PM)
correct. there are no half-breeds.

just half-wits...
PlatonicPimp
Dear sir, do you refer to us, or the players in question? You seem perilously close to starting a flame contest.
Hell Hound
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)

Or alternatively elves with the 'Pass for Human' quality.

Or you could have a human with the exceptional attribute quality for charisma and give them one elven parent that he/she takes after. There, half an elf's attribute bonuses (rounded down) and a backstory that includes one parent of each metatype.
Ancient History
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
But there are also reversions. In the character companion book about the giant metatype, if I recall correctly, it said that this one particular metatype had the highest reversion. I believe that means a human born to giant parents and not manifesting at puberty. Which is something I thought would be an interesting character background, a guy borned to an ork family and did not show any ork traits, and not a human looking ork. It'd be an interesting thing to work on his upbringing and such. His 'bigger' brothers and the social interactions, any jealousy, etc... or anything else about it. hmmm...

oh yeah, what SL said. There's still occassionally a few that would manifest other metatypes from their parents.

Most humans born to ork or troll parents goblinize at puberty. Not all, though.

In any case, if you really, really wanted to base a run off of The Frost Giant's Daughter, you have an excuse for why she's human. wink.gif
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
Dear sir, do you refer to us, or the players in question? You seem perilously close to starting a flame contest.

I do apologize if I was not clear enough, I meant to the players in question. But I do wish not to start a flame contest so I will not further anything else. Regardless, if you do wish to know more about my own personal views, I do not like elves nor half-elves. wink.gif
mfb
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
just half-wits...

true, though note that any SR3 group who calls me stupid is using a house rule, and is not supported by the official material.
PBTHHHHT
Heh, but was I referring to ya? nyahnyah.gif I just wanted to be silly originally and just respond to your statement about there being no half-breeds in Shadowrun with the half-wit comment, partially in reference to all the fun stupid deaths in the game. I should have made a link to the stupid player deaths thread. wink.gif
Critias
QUOTE (SunJester)
I have a player in the game that I am preparing to run that would like to play an elf born to human parents. Can I assume from the statement: In 2070, most metahumans are born to parents of the same metatype on page 65 that there are still some elves born to human parents.

Yeah, that's kosher. S'why it says "most," not "all."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012