Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More newbie questions....
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sphynx
I've ran into a few questions from our last game, any help would be appreciated.

Can you stack Critical Strike with Improved Unarmed? Our Physical Adept has +4 to both for a +8 total (and please don't tell me about a German Errata until it's printed officially in English)

How about Kinesics and Improved Negotiations? Our Elven Face/Social Adept has +5 and +4 for a +9 total....

Are Vision Enhancers considered Optical or Electronical (or optional) in a Contact Lens? I assume Electronical, but would like to hear, for my mage character, that it can be Optical, but read no such allowance. frown.gif

Thanks in advance,
Sphynx
Ophis
Okay first things first, crit strike adds to power of the attack not to unarmed skill so they both work together but no stacking there.

Yep kinesisics and all social skills stack, a factor I intend to abuse as soon as I get to play.

and from fanpro's site...

p. 187 Improved Ability
The first paragraph should read:
“ This power increases the rating of a specific Active skill
by 1 per level. A skill’s maximum modified rating equals its base
rating x 1.5. Improved ability must be purchased for a specific   
skill, not a skill group.”
Sphynx
Ok, I see our error in Critical Strike, we wrongly used it in the attack phase instead of the damage phase. Seems the results are about the same though.

Errata is finally out, those items are fixed as well.

Other questions which popped into our heads....

SkillWires, I saw nothing indicating that you don't get to use your Attributes with them, did I miss something? Or are they just better than the older versions?

I know we had more, but can't seem to think of what they were... Oh, am I right that you don't pay double for Alpha CommLink Service (for when you buy the cyberware?) She paid 4,000 for the CommLink, Alpha Grade, but gets to buy the NovaTech AirWave/Navi for 2,750, not 5,500, right?

Thanks again, in advance, for any help.
Sphynx
Butterblume
QUOTE (Sphynx)
SkillWires, I saw nothing indicating that you don't get to use your Attributes with them, did I miss something?  Or are they just better than the older versions?

Neither did i. You can't use edge with skillwires, but thats the only limitation that pops up in my head right now.
PlatonicPimp
Well, that and they only exist up to level 4. So you can never get a skillwire with a skill of 5. And you can't get skillwires with specializations, nor use any specialization you have with a skillwire.
Sphynx
Can you learn the same spell twice, once with a Fetish and once without (so you have the option to get more drain dice if you want)? I can't find any rules preventing it...

Our GM said no, but I was curious if there was something more Canon.
FrankTrollman
You can learn the same spell multiple times, where one version happens to be red while another is yellow. I'm pretty sure that the formula would be different for the different versions, so it's kind of a waste of resources (heck, you could have the non-fetish version be a slightly different spell, such as Acid Stream instead of Lightning Bolt). But you can do it.

-Frank
Sphynx
I finally remember the big question that bugged me in the last game... nyahnyah.gif

Computer defaults to Logic. So, to make, say, a Matrix Perception test, without having the computer skill, I'd use Logic+Analyze instead of Computer+Analyze, but at a -1 to my Dice pool. So the guy in our group with a 4+ Logic, would be way better off using Logic than taking a couple of levels of Computers it seems. Should Matrix actions allow defaulting?

Increased Reflexes has no Force Limit. Aside from the obvious problems of easy to dispel, is there any reason to cast the spell at greater than Force 3 or 1 even? Seems Force should matter for something.... At least with Improved Ability, you kinda HAVE to cast it at higher than your Magic rating sometimes (like a Dwarf with a 7 Logic from Cerebral Booster and 7 Willpower)...

Anyhows, thanks for all the help so far. smile.gif
Tashio
The force you cast the spell at affects the maximum number of hits you can get. So Force 1 = 1 success max which fails to meet the threshold of 2 required for the first level.

[edit]
SR4 pg. 174
The hits scored on a spellcasting test may not excede the force of the spell.
[/edit]

You need 4 hits to get +3 reaction +3 IP's.

So most people will cast this spell at force 4.

(Quickly checking if there are any dice limits by force.)
No limits there, normal magic+spellcasting.
Cain
Computer defaults to Logic. So, to make, say, a Matrix Perception test, without having the computer skill, I'd use Logic+Analyze instead of Computer+Analyze, but at a -1 to my Dice pool. So the guy in our group with a 4+ Logic, would be way better off using Logic than taking a couple of levels of Computers it seems. Should Matrix actions allow defaulting?

Yes, since it's the reverse that's problematical. You can easily build an effective decker with Logic 1, so long as his other skills are high enough.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Sphynx @ Jan 5 2006, 04:19 AM)
Increased Reflexes has no Force Limit.  Aside from the obvious problems of easy to dispel, is there any reason to cast the spell at greater than Force 3 or 1 even?  Seems Force should matter for something....

Force does matter. "The hits scored on the Spellcasting Test may not exceed the spell's force" p.174. Since you're looking certain thresholds to achieve certain results, having your hits capped by a low force sorta sucks. In fact, I do belive a Force 1 Increased Reflexes spell is absolutely useless.

[Edit]What Tashio said.[/Edit.]
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Sphynx @ Jan 5 2006, 04:19 AM)
Computer defaults to Logic.  So, to make, say, a Matrix Perception test, without having the computer skill, I'd use Logic+Analyze instead of Computer+Analyze, but at a -1 to my Dice pool.  So the guy in our group with a 4+ Logic, would be way better off using Logic than taking a couple of levels of Computers it seems.  Should Matrix actions allow defaulting?

Actually on those tests, there is already effectively no default. The default rules do not allow you to use an attribute instead of a skill, they let you use an attribute without a skill. Not quite the same thing on tests that normally don't use the attribute at all.

So the example action, the character normally rolls (Logic * Zero) + Computer + Analyze. If the character defaults, he doesn't suddenly become able to add his Logic to the test, he's just got an additional -1 dice pool penalty because he doesn't have the appropriate skill. So the total dice pool is Analyze - 1. I suggest going out and getting a Computer Skill.

Increased Reflexes has no Force Limit.  Aside from the obvious problems of easy to dispel, is there any reason to cast the spell at greater than Force 3 or 1 even?  Seems Force should matter for something....  At least with Improved Ability, you kinda HAVE to cast it at higher than your Magic rating sometimes (like a Dwarf with a 7 Logic from Cerebral Booster and 7 Willpower)...

You can't get more Hits than you have Force. So if you want the better results, you need to cast it at a higher Force. Personally, I think the thresholds are too low, but casting it at Force 5 is substantially better than casting it at Force 1.

-Frank
Sphynx
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Actually on those tests, there is already effectively no default. The default rules do not allow you to use an attribute instead of a skill, they let you use an attribute without a skill. Not quite the same thing on tests that normally don't use the attribute at all.

That's not what page 110 says. Says if you don't have a skill, and want to make a test, use the Linked Attribute. After all, why even have linked attributes to Computers and Data Search otherwise? I think you're wrong there boss.
FrankTrollman
That's not what page 110 says. It says that you can make a test with "only" the linked attribute. It doesn't actually let you use the attribute if you wouldn't normally be allowed to use it.

So the test says you can't use your attribute. The default rules allow you to try with nothing but your attribute. So you apply both restrictions, and have no dice pool at all.

Though it is implied on Page 110 that it is excluding only the skill, thus allowing you to use gear and circumstantial bonuses.

After all, why even have linked attributes to Computers and Data Search otherwise?

That's a damn good question. Many skills (Counterspelling, Dodge, Hacking) are almost never actually rolled with their attribute. The key, however, is almost never. There are a couple of uses for these skills that involve the linked attribute. They are rare, but they do exist. When you have a skill that is actually never rolled with a link attribute (Dodge), it still matters a little bit. For purposes of items like Enhanced Articulation every skill has to be associated with a Physical, Mental, or Special Attribute. As soon as they make Enhanced Articulation for Technical Skills, the fact that Data Search is officially attached to Logic will come up even though you don't normally benefit from using your Logic while using it.

---

Of course, that's just what the book says. I don't personally play that way. I make every Electronic Warfare and Computer test into a Logic + Skill test and cap the maximum hits by the Program Rating (like Spells). A big Attack program is still good, but it's not quite so crazy-go-nuts awesome. Also, it's neatly killed the Logic 1 Hacker, which is an archetype that noone likes.

-Frank
Sphynx
Are there any rules for 'replacing' cyberware. If I get Synaptic Boosters now, and want to upgrade to level 3 later, any clue how that works?

Also, some asked/unanswered questions being re-posted...

Are Vision Enhancers considered Optical or Electronical (or optional) in a Contact Lens? I assume Electronical, but would like to hear, for my mage character, that it can be Optical, but read no such allowance.

I know we had more, but can't seem to think of what they were... Oh, am I right that you don't pay double for Alpha CommLink Service (for when you buy the cyberware?) She paid 4,000 for the CommLink, Alpha Grade, but gets to buy the NovaTech AirWave/Navi for 2,750, not 5,500, right?
BishopMcQ
Sphynx--There are not any rules out yet for upgradiing cyberware. I suspect that they will be covered in the forthcoming Augmentation. Until that point, there are several conversion and home brewed ways of dealing with Essence holes and the like.

For the Contact lenses, I'm going to presume that they are electronic. The microniztion of circuitry would work that way, and usually the optical versions were more expensive than electronic. Some Vision enhancements such as Vision Mag could easily be done as optical, similar to the no-line bifocals that exist currently.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Sphynx)

Agree. While "accessories" have to match the grade of the thing they're being implanted in, I wouldn't consider the Navi to be an accessory to the Alpha CommLink. The Alpha CommLink is just a connector.
How 'bout this as a rule of thumb? If it uses capacity, it's an accessory. Is this valid?
Sphynx
Any chance someone could point out a ruling in the book that prevents you from getting Delta grade (or even Alpha or Beta grade) Cultured Bioware? The only rule I see is on page 303 where it says:
The prices for cyberware and bioware presented in this chapter are for standard ’ware (with the exception of cultured bioware, see
p. 339).

So, I recognize that the 'price' might be different for higher grade cultured bioware, but page 339 doesn't clarify any what that price increase/decrease is, and I can't find where it, like in 3rd Ed, prevents higher grade Cultured....

Much thanks,
Sphynx
emo samurai
What do you mean by optical enhancements? I'd think that they meant fiber optics, not just really good image refraction.
Darkness
QUOTE (Sphynx @ Jan 7 2006, 11:17 AM)
Any chance someone could point out a ruling in the book that prevents you from getting Delta grade (or even Alpha or Beta grade) Cultured Bioware?  The only rule I see is on page 303 where it says:
The prices for cyberware and bioware presented in this chapter are for standard ’ware (with the exception of cultured bioware, see
p. 339).

So, I recognize that the 'price' might be different for higher grade cultured bioware, but page 339 doesn't clarify any what that price increase/decrease is, and I can't find where it, like in 3rd Ed, prevents higher grade Cultured....

Much thanks,
Sphynx

There is no other rule.
But i read the quote from p. 303 as:
"There exists normal, alpha, beta and delta cyberware as well as normal, alpha, beta and delta (normal) bioware and cultured bioware (which can't have grades).
But that may be only me.
Grinder
alpha, beta and delta (normal) bioware? Huh?
Darkness
QUOTE (Grinder)
alpha, beta and delta (normal) bioware? Huh?

Indeed, because on page 303 "Cyberware and Bioware Grades", in the very first sentence we find "Cyberware and bioware is available in four grades: standard, alphaware, betaware and deltaware".
Additionally on p. 64 "Implant Grades", we find "Higher grades of cyberware and bioware known as alphaware, betaware and deltaware are available."
Moon-Hawk
huh? What!? Bioware has grades like cyberware now? Except for cultured? Can I get regular bioware as cultured, still, or do I have to get alpha/beta/delta?
Oh, my world is turning upside down!
Rotbart van Dainig
You can get both normal and cultured in different grades in SR4 - but normal not as cultured.
Sphynx
Even Cultured is available in grades like Cyber, so no, no changing normal Bioware into Cultured....

Costs multipliers are the same too, as is the essence reduction.
Grinder
Was it the same back in SR3? We never used it that way and probably won't in SR4.
Darkness
Nope. That's a new one.
But, take a look at the values of the different wares. Bioware already has low essence cost, but the prices are considerably higher. Using the grades on bioware would give you small changes in the essence sector, but the costs rise very high.
It's not a very effective thing to do, so it won't happen very often, i think.
Moon-Hawk
So if you can't change normal into cultured, and you can get both normal and cultured in different grades just like cyber, then what is the fundamental difference between normal and cultured anymore? Why bother with two types, why not streamline it into one type?

man....everytime I think I'm starting to figure this damn edition out.....
Sphynx
I think it should have been stream-lined into one type. The only system difference is that Cultured has to be made for you specifically. Normal Bioware (regardless of grade) is made without your gene structure in mind.

Sphynx
FrankTrollman
Yep. The difference between cultured and normal is that you can't make a piece of cultured ware "on spec" - it has to be made for the individual getting upgraded. That means that you have to wait for a piece of cultured ware to be grown before you can have it installed, and it means that there's no point in organ legging cultured ware.

But since there are no rules for organ growing, surgery times, or organ legging in the basic book, there's no specific game effect of bioware being cultured. Hopefully they will have a little section on it in Augmentation.

-Frank
Moon-Hawk
I wonder if Augmentation will also reintroduce the concept of getting regular bioware as cultured bioware. Or declare that beta grade or better bioware must be made for the individual (i.e. cultured) or something.
Or maybe I'm just stubbornly clinging to the past. I can't tell.
Azralon
We've griped about it previously in the forums. The text is unhelpful and confusing:

QUOTE (p303)
Cyberware and bioware is available in four grades: standard, alphaware, betaware, and deltaware. Only standard and alphaware may be purchased at character creation. The prices for cyberware and bioware presented in this chapter are for standard ’ware (with the exception of cultured bioware, see p. 339). When purchasing implants of other grades, apply the Essence Cost and Cost adjustments as noted on the Implant Grades table (above).

It's the "with the exception of cultured bioware" phrase that degrades the passage.

It seems to imply that cultured bioware is not standard bioware. If that's the case, then "cultured" seems to fall outside of the grading system. It also means that cultured bioware is not available in character generation, because only standard and alpha are initially available.

If they mean to suggest that bioware has two grade paths (standard/alpha/beta/delta and cultured/alpha/beta/delta) then that allows for much more character generation flexibility.

Or, if they mean to work it like it did prior to SR4, then bioware has one grade path (basic/cultured). Unfortunately that introduces a new typing label of "basic" (from the table on p. 338) that isn't explained at all. Following the RAW's wording strictly, that would mean that no bioware is available at chargen because it's not "standard or alpha." That can't be the case, though, if "bioware is available in four grades: standard, alphaware, betaware, and deltaware."

So, yeah. WTF already.
Darkness
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Yep. The difference between cultured and normal is that you can't make a piece of cultured ware "on spec" - it has to be made for the individual getting upgraded. That means that you have to wait for a piece of cultured ware to be grown before you can have it installed, and it means that there's no point in organ legging cultured ware.

This is why i said:
QUOTE (darkness)
But i read the quote from p. 303 as:
"There exists normal, alpha, beta and delta cyberware as well as normal, alpha, beta and delta (normal) bioware and cultured bioware (which can't have grades).
But that may be only me.

Since cultured bioware is already tailormade, it can't be further "optimized" to better suit your genetic structure. It's practically delta for bioware already.
Rotbart van Dainig
That's to much recursion for SR4.
The sentence itself only concerns prices, does not restrict the one befor concerning grades and the reference is a pretty dead one.

Something like 'cultured bioware cannot have higher grades' would be either explicitly printed or published in errata - see modified skills.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012