Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ultrasound and invisibility
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ogbendog
Per page 324, if you have ultrasound, you can see invisible characters, "While ultrasound vision is perfect to “see” textures, calculate exact distances, and pick up things otherwise invisible to the naked eye (like people cloaked by an
Invisibility spell),..."

but what about improved invisibility? I did a search on the forums and couldn't find if this had been brought up before (heck, I thought I had)
stevebugge
Ultrasound technically is echo-location so in my games it defeats invisibility and improved invisibility as well, but is blinded by a silence spell.
Adarael
I think ultrasound is the only sensor type to be able to defeat the ubiquitously sensor-defeating invisibility.

The 'silence' spell, on the other hand, is perfect for defeating ultrasound sensors.

Edit: Damn, beat out by a matter of seconds.
MK Ultra
Since Ultrasound vision is not realy vision, but rather hearing, even improved invisability should not work (other than the vision mod being like in total darkness w ultrasound) but the soundbarrier spell from SOTA64 will be handy, with silencespell I´m not quite sure but this should work as well IMO!

EDIT: look at me, I´m beat twice spin.gif
stevebugge
Important to note most motion sensors use ultrasound, while most cameras operate on electromagnetic radiation (Infrared through Ultraviolet spectrum)
ogbendog
Our GM was tempted to say that the area silence spell is like a darkness, and a silence spell will silence you, unless there is something behind you that would show your siluette
stevebugge
I think it would appear as a blank spot or hole. The ultrasound generator emits a very short wavelength soundwave then uses a computer to extrapolate shape, texture, and distance from the echo. A silence spell would absorb the soundwave hence no echo, so the computer would probably register the silence as open space.
ogbendog
right, but if you were up against a brick wall, it would look like a person shaped area of very smoth texture against the rought brick backround. so you'd be seen.
MK Ultra
very smoth texture? I´d rather say, you´d see a personsaped hole in the wall.
RunnerPaul
Silence is an area-affect spell, why would it be person shaped? Wouldn't it be ball shaped, with a radius of spell force?
stevebugge
Another note, most motion detectors are calibrated to a specific echo, rather than the absence of an echo. A silence globe moving through the area is just as likely to trigger an alert as a physical body of the same size. Now ultra sound sights or goggles would just see open space, however if the user of those devices knows that there should be a wall 8 meters in front of them then the whole may still be a tip-off.
Mr.Platinum
ultra sound is ever ninja mages enemy.
stevebugge
I agree with that, a high rating ultrasound detector/emulator is far preferable to a mage for beating motion detectors.
Eyeless Blond
Indeed, we're all talking about different spells here. Hush and Silence would actually cancel sound waves, giving you the human-shaped or ball-shaped "hole" in ultrasound. The Stealth spell, however, would work analogously to Invisability, with sould sort of "passing through" the target just like light passes through the target with Invisability, and ultrasound would just be completely blind to the target.

On a side note, Hush and Silence really ought to be in the same category as the Shadow spell, as they do the same thing to different mediums (sound vs. light), just like Stealth and Invisability do the same thing to different senses. Either make them both Manipulations or make them both Illusions.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
The Stealth spell, however, would work analogously to Invisability

Stealth spell only covers noises directly made by the subject of the spell. I'm not sure an echo of an externally generated sound would count.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Jan 4 2006, 08:02 PM)
The Stealth spell, however, would work analogously to Invisability

Stealth spell only covers noises directly made by the subject of the spell. I'm not sure an echo of an externally generated sound would count.

Eh, I guess. Unfortunately the rules for all three of those spells are just silly; as written they actually manipulate the sound waves entering the spell's effect, which is in no way the purview of an Illusion spell. Really the Illusion variants of the Silence spell ought to focus on the hearing aspect of auditory perception, just as Invisability focuses on the sight aspect of visual perception, and there ought to be a Manipulation version that focuses on the damping of physical sound waves, as the Shadow spell does for physical light waves.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Jan 4 2006, 08:19 PM)
Eh, I guess. Unfortunately the rules for all three of those spells are just silly; as written they actually manipulate the sound waves entering the spell's effect, which is in no way the purview of an Illusion spell. Really the Illusion variants of the Silence spell ought to focus on the hearing aspect of auditory perception, just as Invisability focuses on the sight aspect of visual perception,

While the mana version, just plain Invisibility, mucks around with living things' perception of what they're seeing, the physical version, Improved Invisibility is described in the rules as warping light. (Which leads to a whole host of questions, but that's another thread.)

There should be a similar difference between the Hush and the Silence spells, but unfortunately, the rules as written don't seem to make the distinction. The only saving grace is the fact that mana spells can only target living things. Hush couldn't dampen soundwaves, because soundwaves aren't alive.

You could say that manipulation of soundwaves and lightwaves belongs solely in manipulation, and the Illusion category should only deal with a living entity's perception. But then technically, the illusion category just becomes a specialized subset of Mental Manipulation. Why have a category at all, at that point?
MaxMahem
I rule that silence acts just like invisibility for ultrasound. You become invisible to ultrasound, and no tell tale shape or hole is left behind.

How? ...MAGIC!
TheScrivener
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Jan 4 2006, 08:19 PM)
Illusion variants of the Silence spell ought to focus on the hearing aspect of auditory perception, just as Invisability focuses on the sight aspect of visual perception, and there ought to be a Manipulation version that focuses on the damping of physical sound waves, as the Shadow spell does for physical light waves.

There are no Illusion 'variants' of Invisibility or Silence; both of them are Illusion spells, not Manipulation. It's a game balance and simplicity issue; whether or not Improved Invisibility or other physical Illusions manipulate matter, they're still illusions. If every spell that manipulated matter was in Manipulation, then everyone would go for extra dice to Manipulation spells, as they would include all indirect Combat spells, as well as some Health spells probably. Silence and Stealth are physical spells, but the perception of the caster is that they are illusions - the silence isn't 'real' it's produced by a magical effect. Thus Silence would show up as a circular area of no echo return under ultrasound - since time of return equals distance in ultrasound, it registers as 'no ceiling' or infinite distance - a big giveaway. A Hush spell wouldn't effect ultrasound at all, since it only affects actual hearing. A Stealth spell, in my game, 'fuzzes out' a person and makes them into a man-shaped no-sound zone - easy to see but hard to track under ultrasound. I houserule that any perception-based check against a stealthed opponent is -2 to dice pool through ultrasound, but you can justify it your own way. It could be argued since the player isn't *making* the sound, Stealth wouldn't affect echoes in any way - but pseudoscientifically I rule that Stealth generates a 'force field' which eliminates any vibration from being transmitted from the body. That would stop any echoes in my mind as well.

All that being said, this thread generally falls prey to the Interdictor fallacy. The best use of Silence isn't to keep yourself from being *seen* by the ultrasound - if you drop a Silence sphere so the ultrasound detector is inside it, the ultrasound is completely blind and useless. Certaintly in terms of avoiding detection this is a bad plan, but for combat use it means that inviso-mage can continue to run around the battlefield hittin' people over the head with impunity.
Liper
there is a reference I can't remember where, that does basically say that only silence will defeat the ultrasound vision, but as a nice point, a white noise generator will cause someone using ultrasound to get such a fuzzy vision that it's almost as bad as total darkness.

-edit- and they are able to be worn in small jewlwery like earrings =p
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (TheScrivener)
There are no Illusion 'variants' of Invisibility or Silence; both of them are Illusion spells, not Manipulation. [...]

Good point. In that case, then Shadow should be an Illusion spell, as it does exactly the same thing as Silence, but for light instead of sound. My aim wasn't so much to increase the number of manipulation spells so much as have spell categories be applied to different spells consistently.

A Stealth spell, in my game, 'fuzzes out' a person and makes them into a man-shaped no-sound zone - easy to see but hard to track under ultrasound. I houserule that any perception-based check against a stealthed opponent is -2 to dice pool through ultrasound, but you can justify it your own way.  It could be argued since the player isn't *making* the sound, Stealth wouldn't affect echoes in any way - but pseudoscientifically I rule that Stealth generates a 'force field' which eliminates any vibration from being transmitted from the body.  That would stop any echoes in my mind as well.

Personally I'd much rather the Stealth spell be the auditory equivalent of Invisability. That is, Stealthed subjects simply have sound waves pass through them undisturbed, much like Invisability-masked subjects have light waves pass through them undisturbed. Or, rather, that's how any person attempting to see or hear them perceives
nezumi
QUOTE (Adarael @ Jan 4 2006, 06:50 PM)
I think ultrasound is the only sensor type to be able to defeat the ubiquitously sensor-defeating invisibility.

This is false. Invisibility will defeat anything sensing the visible light spectrum (debatably including infra-red and UV. Most GMs will include thos as 'defeated'.) However, along with ultrasound, it doesn't stop radar, sonar, temperature sensors, thingies that sense change in air pressure (not so much microphones, but to sense if a door has been opened), pressure sensors and the ear, mark I (plus more, of course).

Invisibility does defeat every other form of cyber eye implant, however, and every other sensor on a vehicle with sensors of 1 or below (if memory serves).
Eyeless Blond
Radar uses radio waves.

Sonar is basically the same thing as ultrasound vision. Or, more specifically, ultrasound "vision" is just sonar but with high-frequency sound, to better create a "picture" out of the echoes.

Most temperature sensors are infrered radiation detectors, so again would be defeated by invis. I suppose you can have some sort of sealed room with an actual digital thermometer to detect the minute change in overall temperature due to the presence of a warm body, but the room itself would have to be designed like the inside of a thermos bottle, and even then it probably wouldn't be practical. I could be wrong about this one though.

Pressure sensors would work well, and would require yet another spell (Levitate) to get around.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Liper)
there is a reference I can't remember where, that does basically say that only silence will defeat the ultrasound vision, but as a nice point, a white noise generator will cause someone using ultrasound to get such a fuzzy vision that it's almost as bad as total darkness.

-edit- and they are able to be worn in small jewlwery like earrings =p

Yes see the Neo-Anarchist's Guide to Real Life for the earings (and a fashionable illustration)
Rotbart van Dainig
Technically, an invisible person would show up against millimeter wave detection systems (Cyberware Scanners), too.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Technically, an invisible person would show up against millimeter wave detection systems (Cyberware Scanners), too.

I think you're right. Also I think an invisible person would set off MAD's if they were carrying enough ferrous metal. Would they set off laser trip beams though?
nezumi
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Radar uses radio waves.

So? Radio waves aren't visible light. Invisibility doesn't work against the entire EM spectrum, just IR to UV.

Sonar is basically the same thing as ultrasound vision. Or, more specifically, ultrasound "vision" is just sonar but with high-frequency sound, to better create a "picture" out of the echoes.

Not precisely true. SONAR refers to using sound underwater. Ultrasound refers to using sound above the range of human hearing. Technically different, although they work on the same concept.

Most temperature sensors are infrered radiation detectors

There are examples of old fashioned thermometers in detection systems listed in the books. They're very, very sensitive. With IR detectors, you can watch the ambient air you leave behind rather than the heat of the person himself. Once the person has moved you're detecting the hot air in his wake, like footprints in the sand.

Pressure sensors would work well, and would require yet another spell (Levitate) to get around.

Or the adept power whose name escapes me at the moment.

Lasers do *NOT* work against invisibility. It's IR and considered a 'vision based system'.
stevebugge
Trackless walk I believe for the adept power.
Orb
The problem I've always had with ultrasound it that its sound and sound travels very slowly compared to light. If you were trying to use it to pick-up a moving target at any range, wouldn't that produce a noticeable lag.

The speed of sound at sea level is ~ 340m/sec. That means that at 340m range, the data from your ultrasound sensor is actually showing the position of the target 1 second ago (the return time to the sensor).

At 1 km range you're seeing what happened last combat round.

Is there any info given on the range for ultrasound? Any modifiers for using it against moving targets?

stevebugge
Couldn't find any in any edition. As a point of reference a Laser Sight is good to 50 meters or 150 meters for the improved version. It would make sense that anything much past 85 meters would produce a fair amount of lag. Ther is also the question of just how much power the emitter has and how far the sound carries.
Liper
no one is using ultrasound to try and hit someone far away.

I believe there is also a effective range for ultrasound listed somewhere.
Orb
Even at 50m the lag would be about .15sec. If a normal human can run at 25 m/turn thats an error of 1.2m. That the difference between hit and not even close.

Of course that assumes the target is running exactly perpendicular to the shooter.
stevebugge
I didn't look up the 4th ed. rule on Ultrasound, but in all previous listings (Street Sam Catelog, SR3) it halved vision modifiers, which to me represents making a better guess when firing in total darkness than someone without, so maybe that does account for signal lag.
Orb
Ultrasound is now listed as a seperate vision type in the table.

See the visibility modifiers table of page 117.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012