Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Your Opinions, if you will?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Gothic Rose
Righty, in a soon to be started SR4 game, I'm going to be playing a character. This character is an Adept. A Gun-Fu Adept. Some of you may remember some threads I started awhile back about all this. Well, I made some slight changes to the character (in that I got rid of Aptitude Pistols) which freed up 10 BP, and I wanted opinions on what to do with it. As well as some other opinions.

The basic concept is a gunfighter face - very good social skills, even better Face Shooting Skills.

Now, I'm going to reveal something I haven't really revealed before, because at least 1 member of my gaming group comes here on occasion - however, I'm going to hope that he doesn't look here...

[CALYPSO, PLEASE DON'T OPEN THE SPOILER, THANKS.]

There. Warning is done.

[ Spoiler ]

Now, I'm having some problems. With the new errata, the Attribute Boost power became icky, and I no longer want it. This leaves me with the following Adept Powers:

Improved Ability (Ettiquette) (Level 1)
Improved Ability (Pistols) (Level 2)
Improved Reflexes (Level 2)
Kinesics (Level 1)

If you add that up, you get 4.75 PP spent - I have a Magic of 5, so .25 more to spend. Any suggestions?

Also, my skills are as follows:

Perception: 2
Pistols: 6; Specialization: Revolvers
Dodge: 4
Stealth Skill Group: 2
Athletics Skill Group: 2
Influence Skill Group: 4

I have Athletics, which includes Gymnastics - should I even bother with the Dodge skill? Or should I go for an Unarmed Combat skill, instead, and just use Gymnastics to Dodge if I need to?

I've got 10 BP to spend - I'd -like- to get a little more Nuyen, to increase the sensors of my Sensor Suite, perhaps, or buy some other toys. I'm not sure yet, though. I can't spend any more on Attributes (well, I could buy a point of Edge, I suppose. My Edge is 3 starting.)

Thoughts/Ideas/Suggestions/Nasty Horrible Comments?
Liper
any contacts?
ElFenrir
well, for .25, you can add an extra die to Perception or another social skill. Attribute Boost isn't that icky IMO even with the errata...i always played it like you couldn't boost past your maximum rating anyway. But if your Agil is already tweaked to a good 6 or something, then it may not be necessary.

So yeah, I learned Perception is always good to have.

Since your character is a gunfighter, remember, Unarmed Combat doesn't help you dodge bullets. It only helps in melee. Dodge helps every which way. I would tell maybe a mainly melee character to stick with a melee skill...but if your mainly a gunfighter, just go for the Dodge. On full ranged defence, you get React+Dodge(im guessing you have a decent reaction), on full melee def, you get Reaction+Dodge+Dodge. Good stuff.

One nice thing about SR4...you aren't forced to take a melee skill if you don't want one anymore(in SR3, no melee skill=a serious beating if anyone decided to hit you due to the defense roll and default penalties. In SR4, there is Dodge.)

And Edge is gooood. But so is nuyen. That's totally up to you. And yes, don't forget a good contact if you havn't gotten on yet.
Gothic Rose
As far as contacts, he has 1 - Baeman. He's new in town, so his fixer is the only person he knows - currently, it's 4/5 loyalty/Connection, although I tentatively planned on upping loyalty to 5 (essentially, family...)

Stats are:

Body 4
Agility 6
Reaction 5 (7)
Strength 2
Charisma 6
Intuition 5
Logic 2
Willpower 3
(Initiative) 10 (12)

Edge 3
Magic 5

[character is built w/450 BP, hence the over 200 spent on phys/mental]

I'm contemplating dropping Willpower down to 2 and raising charisma to 7. It's more economical, since I really want Charisma 7, and it'd be ridiculously expensive in game.
ElFenrir
Thats true. If it's in character, go for it. But keep in mind, Willpower 2 is asking for a manabolt...however, again, if it's part of the character to have under average willpower...by all means go for it.

I admit i fall sometimes into the realm of 'in game use' and 'character' battles sometime...i wanted that willpower 2 for a couple of my people but was always afraid of eating a manabolt to the face.

But you have a point when you say the Charisma of 7 will be very expensive later,(21karma!), while a Willpower 3 will be a more respectable 9. Plus the Cha 7 will be very helpful with the Influence group.
Another thought for that last .25 point, would be to up

[ Spoiler ]

And that's a pretty powerful fixer there, sounds good.

Gothic Rose
That's a good idea for the .25 PP, I might do that.

Ophis
Nice to see him back, he's looking cool as ever. The slight variation I stole for my campaign is doing well but no one has rattled his secret yet.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Gothic Rose)
I have Athletics, which includes Gymnastics - should I even bother with the Dodge skill?

Yes - specialize Dodge in Ranged Combat.
Gothic Rose
Ophis: Heh. Glad you decided to take the idea. nyahnyah.gif As you can see, I'm using Baeman : grinbig.gif

@ Rotbart: That was my original thought, although I'll wait until after chargen to buy that specialization - my opinion w/SR4 is that you should only take specializations at chargen when they're integral to your character concept (hence my specialization w/revolvers, which I see as integral, since I originally pictured him w/revolvers.)

I've decided that I should drop the Improved Ability: Ettiquette, and instead take another level of sweet, sweet Kinesics, thus putting my magical abilities at:

Improved Ability (Pistols) (Level 2)
Improved Reflexes (Level 2)
Kinesics (Level 2)

Thoughts?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012