Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Server color coding issue.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
With increasing server security, there seems to be an decreasing frequency. Blue, Green, Orange, Yellow, Red. Decreasing frequency, increasing wavelength. Ultraviolet, however, has a much higher frequency than any of those; if we follow the pattern, shouldn't a Deus-holding server be Infrared, and shouldn't Ultraviolet be, like, an Apple IIe?
Grinder
You'd never played Paranoia? biggrin.gif
Fix-it
Obviously not. shoot him as a traitor to the Glorious Friend Computer! sarcastic.gif
Grinder
Or send a platoon of Drop Bears after him! Death to all Commies!
emo samurai
You DO see my logic, don't you?
hyzmarca
Yes, but we still think of you as a commin-mutant-traitor. But there is only one letter difference between ultra-violet to ultra-violent. Perhaps, the original was just a typo and the frequence of light that causes skin cancer and sunburns really is ultra-violent. It cedrtainly fits.
otaku mike
My friend Emo Samurai, I think you took one page too many from our beloved shadowtalker Conspir-I-See... smile.gif
spotlite
Emo, you're probably right. I would ask my own counter question - does it matter? Anyone with the funding to actually BUILD and maintain a UV system can damn well call it the polka-polka-fruitbat9 for all I care, I'm still not decking it...
Grinder
spotlite, you're probably a commie-traitor too biggrin.gif
Fix-it
we need to start a paranoia campaign here on dumpshock
ShadowDragon8685
What do you mean, start? Each of us is already waging his or her own personal paranoid whackjob war.
Kagetenshi
You're not authorized for that information, ShadowDragon-TML-2. Please report to your nearest reeducation center. ShadowDragon-TML-3 will be dispatched to replace you.

~Jon-I-BOS-1
emo samurai
I'm not saying there's a conspiracy! I'm just saying that the server color coding pattern breaks after red!
Grinder
The Computer made a mistake, that's what you're saying? biggrin.gif
Fix-it
QUOTE (Grinder)
The Computer made a mistake, that's what you're saying? biggrin.gif

I think he is. Warm up another clone.
BishopMcQ
Emo--The easiest way to look at the situation is that UV hosts break a lot of rules. As soon as a host goes UV, there is nearly no connection to what it used to be. The sim-feed gets cranked up to beyond BTL performance levels and bad things happen. Beyond that, an IR host doesn't have quite the same appeal as a UV one...
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Strikes again!/Ha-Ha-Ha)
With increasing server security, there seems to be an decreasing frequency. Blue, Green, Orange, Yellow, Red. Decreasing frequency, increasing wavelength.

A pair of observations:

First, if that list of colors were really arranged in order of increasing wavelength, it would read "Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red", and not "Blue, Green, Orange, Yellow, Red". It's "Roy G. Biv", and not "Arr! Yo, G! Biv!" you know. (Besides, the latter sounds like some pirate gangsta rapper.)

Second, I've been playing this game for 16 years, and in all that time, I don't ever recall seeing reference to a yellow host.
emo samurai
I forgot about writing about the yellow host; but still, in Shadowrun, servers are listed in terms of increasing wavelength until Ultraviolet.
Erebus
I think maybe your seeing patterns were there really isn't any...
BishopMcQ
Emo--another name for a UV host is a black host SR3 p.205. If you'd like to maintain to your lightwave theory, then referring to UVs as Blacks would solve the problem.

MK Ultra
Y´know, I allways wanted to do a "Paranoia Reloaded" Champign in the shutdowned Renraku SCIRE Arcology biggrin.gif maybe the con will come, that I´m making my threats true on spin.gif

I allways thought the same way as emo does, but in my SR-World there are just as many guys who do not care and think UV sounds much cooler then IR.

Has anybody noticed, that the writing in this forum is in UV?
* If so, report to your closest interrogation center for termination imediately citizan. Your next clone will be activated and dispatcht to take over your current duty. Thanks for your corporation. Have a nice day.

If you have no current duty, please go to *.
If you have not read the orders in this post, your probably a commie-mutant-traitor, pleas go to *.

Smile, you´r on camera. DEUS is your friend!

Edit: If you are listening to citizan MK-UV-TRA-9 you are a traitor (follow the instrutions after * please).
otaku mike
QUOTE (emo samurai)
I forgot about writing about the yellow host; but still, in Shadowrun, servers are listed in terms of increasing wavelength until Ultraviolet.

Or maybe, maybe, this has nothing to do with wavelength...
Maybe it's all just based on some unconscious universal awareness that red is dangerous (fire, hot), and blue is not (water, cool). Then urban designers around the world used that for the lights at the crossroads, ranging from green (easier to discern from red than blue), to yellow/orange, to red.
And then, maybe, the original SR designers just adapted this universal concept to the game, with blue as the easiest and red as the most difficult. And then, maybe, when the need for something beyond red difficulty arose in advanced rules, it was decided that Ultra-Violet just sounded more powerful and cool than Infra-red (this, maybe, would have something to do with the simple fact that infra-red sounds inferior to normal-red...).

Or maybe I want to read too much in all that and there is indeed a secret message hidden somewhere...
Aku
i'm with Otaku mike, i dont think it had anything to do with wavelengths at all, and was just on easy colors, bu even then, had it been me, i woulda swapped green and blue
RunnerPaul
For what it's worth, the ANSI standard for safety color coding in industrial settings assigns the following meanings to the colors in question, with the exception of ultraviolet:

Blue: used for informational signs

Green: used as the basic color for designating "safety"

Orange: used as the basic color for designating dangerous parts of machines

Red: Red shall be the basic color for the identification of danger

Sicarius
I seem to remember flavor text referring to blue hosts being common stomping grounds for matrix gangs, and other thugs, and therefore hardly "Safe."

I say that, to point out that possibly Ultraviolet is not so much on the RED side of the spectrum (ie. heavy duty security, more ICE than my Freezer etc) as it on the blue side, (a system where the rules do not apply and anything can happen, there fore more "open" and "Chaotic' like a blue host.)

I don't know if that view holds up though. What kind of ICE does an Ultraviolet system have?
MK Ultra
Ah, OM´s & RP´s explanations seam good and I´m with them. (Still more scientifical and less industrial NPCs and PCs will argu about it in my game smile.gif ).

Samura-Y-EMO-1, You are convicted to using restricted information above your security level. You are thus entiteled to receive termination at your nearest interrogation center. Heve a nice day.

Edit: there, it hapened again indifferent.gif
BishopMcQ
QUOTE (Sicarius)
I don't know if that view holds up though. What kind of ICE does an Ultraviolet system have?

Whatever kind it needs. UV hosts are few and far between and are generally the products of an AI.

Wonderland is a great example of a UV host where anything can happen. Other UV hosts would be the mainframe that Deus was stored in before he created the Network, or the world market computer during the Novatech IPO.
Pendaric
It warms my heart to see all this compulsive happiness.
Carry on friend troubleshooters.
The Computer is your friend. Happiness is manditory.
(wait until your behind them and their asleep.....you did turn of the radio right?)

As to the question, I think it has been established that the mechanics work, so why fix them?
mfb
host color is less a measure of security as it is processing power.
Pendaric
Do you mean, overall processing power or processing power dedicated to security?
The two are dependant but different. If it is the latter then I agree.
mfb
overall processing power. check the programming rules--host color affects how easy it is to create programs written on that host. i don't see why the amount of processing power dedicated to security would affect writing programs.

though "processing power" is too precise a term for what i mean. i'm talking more along the lines of general levels of badassery. a red host is better for anything you choose to do with it than an orange host, whether you're creating 3d movies or coding or protecting valuable data. it's got more bells, more whistles, better maintenance, etcetera.
Pendaric
The security colours are based on the Security level. Am I being slow here? The increase in the overall processing power indicates that there is more important things going on and therefore more to protect, also more processing power to dedicate to defending those processes. Hence the higher security levels.I think we are saying the same thing from different directions.
The host's rating is given according to is security. RTG's have more processing power then PLTG's but it's the security that grades the system.
It's rather what is going spare to dedicate to other matters in real terms.
To drag back to bandwidth, Deus has more than it's cold AI heart needs always.
Kagetenshi
It is the security rating that determines security. While the random tables do not support it (for obvious reasons), there is nothing in the rules preventing a Red-4 host with no IC. Such a host will still be a better programming environment than a Blue-12.

~J
Pendaric
But the black IC still hits you harder and the ACIFS are still way higher on the Red. There more raw power to spare as you say however.
The security system rating is a throw back to do a run code slinging rule system. Would everyone agree that is fair comment?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012