Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: another stupid spirit question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
craigpierce
ok, i have another easy question about spirits...

in our old game (haven't played SR3 in awhile), we always made new characters spend both spell points AND 1000:nuyen: on their spirits, if they were begining the game with any. it just made sense to us...

what's the official ruling? do begining spirits only cost the spell points, or do they cost nuyen for the materials too?

and: you'd only begin the game with elementals, right? i've never played a shaman, so i'm not up on the costs of nature spirits...but it doesn't seem like there is any cost.

thanks!
mintcar
Itīs amazing how fast my SR3 knowledge is escaping me. But Iīm fairly sure you only pay spell points at start. Itīs rather useless to pay spell points for something that fleeting anyway. And it would be insane to pay for nature spirits, because that would be even more fleeting since you canīt have meta-magic from start.

I guess you will have to wait for someone else to provide you with an official page referenced ruling.
TheNarrator
I'm fairly certain that you only spend spell points on spells, and if you have a mage (who can summon their elementals in advance) they pay 1000:nuyen: per Force for the ritual to do so, whether or not it's chargen or in game.

But then, I don't generally play spellcasters, so what do I know?
blakkie
QUOTE (mintcar @ Jan 7 2006, 11:57 AM)
Itīs amazing how fast my SR3 knowledge is escaping me.....since you canīt have meta-magic from start.

Faster than you think. wink.gif Initiating as part of chargen can be done, with GM approval, at a cost of 1 SP per karma.
craigpierce
ok, so far i have 1 for paying for the materials and 1 against paying for them...anybody else?

QUOTE (mintcar)
And it would be insane to pay for nature spirits

thanks, that's what i thought

QUOTE (blakkie)
Initiating as part of chargen can be done, with GM approval, at a cost of 1 SP per karma

thanks, i'd forgotten about that
Herald of Verjigorm
If someone is going to waste their SP on elementals, don't increase the pain by making them pay materials costs.
Dawnshadow
Since the rituals cost is the ONLY cost of summoning for hermetics, aside from drain.. as opposed to learning spells, which has an associated karma cost.. I would say it is absolutely insane to charge them spell points and ritual materials. It's already a horrible deal, unless you're a hermetic Conjurer, and even then, initiation's better.
craigpierce
don't charge 'em the nuyen.gif - got it!

thanks everybody!
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (blakkie)
Itīs amazing how fast my SR3 knowledge is escaping me.....since you canīt have meta-magic from start.

Faster than you think. wink.gif Initiating as part of chargen can be done, with GM approval, at a cost of 1 SP per karma.

Do you remember where it actually said that?

I remember it, and I've never been in a game where it wasn't allowed, but looking back I can't actually find the statement.

-Frank
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Jan 7 2006, 05:25 PM)

Do you remember where it actually said that?

Companion, p. 15, 3rd paragraph under "Resources."
FrankTrollman
Thanks. I knew I'd seen it.

-Frank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012