Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What SR3 books are worth buying?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
mdynna
I was out of SR3 for awhile and I missed all of the later "supplemental" books. I have all the "core rule" stuff from SR3 (MITS, M&M, Matrix), and I know those are going to be replaced. I wondering which of the later books are still worth investing in. I have Year of the Comet and System Crash. Those I think weill still be useful and can be converted to 4th if needed (I know, the timeline will need some suffling). However, I was eyeing up other books like: Dragons of the Sith World, Mr. Johnson's Little Black Book, Shadow of North America. Does anyone know how soon those will be replaced?
stevebugge
Probably will be a while before they get replaced. I'd add System Failure to that list and the Sprawl Survival Guide as well.
FrankTrollman
It looks like the Shadows of... series aren't going to get "replaced" any time soon. The current vision seems to be writing campaign setting books that highlight small numbers of cities in a similar theme.

So "Runner Havens" will talk about Hong Kong (from Shadows of Asia), Seattle (from Shadows of North America), Caracas (from Shadows of Latin America), but it won't update the rest of the information except as relates to those cities. Other proposed books "Corp Zones" and "Feral Cities" sound like they will be patterened off of the same idea.

Loose Alliances is probably on firm ground for years to come, and I doubt Dragons of the Sixth World is in for an overhaul any time soon. Personally I find Loose Alliances quite useful, and Dragons of the Sixth World pretty useless for the kinds of games I run, but your mileage may vary. I've heard some people go on for literally hours with speculation about dragons and some people don't like the political groups that Loose Alliances bring to the table, so you'll have to make that kind of decision for your own group.

-Frank
MK Ultra
IŽd second Frank
Mordrid Soud
Dragons of the Sixth World is an interesting read. I also liked the Mr. Johnson's Little Black Book (though the contacts/npcs will have to be modified before use with 4th edition), and Corporate Download is nice to have (though there will be some finagaling as there is a new player in town). I would probably recomend The New Seattle Source Book (yeah, I know Runners Havens will have all the new stuff, but in truth I still use my 2nd edition Seattle Source Book- all the maps, and locals are pretty handy. Point being who knows what will be left out about Seattle in Runners havens.) The Shadows of books are great (at least North America and Europe are.. I don't have Asia yet). Threats 2 is kinda nice though Loose Alliances will probably be a bit more usefull (don't know for sure as all I have is the Threats2). Hmmm... that's about it for 3rd edition books I can think of. Oh, except maybe the Target Wastelands and Target Awakendlands, the later being home of the infamous "Drop Bears" (there is a thread floating around somewhere that is over 56 pgs. concearning those little nasties). Ok, I think that it now... yeah. Hope this helps.
Rotbart van Dainig
Do we really need to repeat this thread?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012