Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AI
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Straight Razor
i need some help with AI in SR 3ed
i'm wanting to throw in a AI robot of sorts in a an NPC need some info
Kagetenshi
We're going to need more info to help you.

In canon SR, robots and AIs don't mix, what with the lack of space for processers in the robot.

~J
nick012000
Well, an AI can remotely control a robot, like Deus did with his zillions of drones...
Tanka
Completely different. The AI is not walking around in the real world, it's just using a host to do it for it.
hyzmarca
The only difference between a high rating robot pilot and an true AI is the ability to give itself orders. While canon SR AI are like unto gods, this is not necessarilary the case. NOthing says that a high rating robot pilot can't gain that littl eextra something that makes AIs sentient.

Johnny 5 is alive.
Cray74
QUOTE (Straight Razor)
i need some help with AI in SR 3ed
i'm wanting to throw in a AI robot of sorts in a an NPC need some info

Unfortunately, Shadowrun turned AI's into bad Hollywood AIs, which involve gigantic amounts of computer hardware and god-like intellects. There seems to be no middle ground between SR's semi-sampient "agents" and demi-god AIs.

SR4, however, has some interesting rules for much more grounded AIs. The Pilot rating of a drone can substitute for a number of attributes, and Autosofts allow a computer to demonstrate a wide range of skills. A Piloting rated 4-5 can be as competent as many humans. You just need the added fluff saying that it's truly sapient, not a clever program.

In SR3, you can just use a conventional drone body (or build one with Rigger-3), give it a good Robotic Pilot rating, and maybe add some of the Pilot upgrade options in Rigger 3. Do you need additional detail on the robot, like all its mental attributes?

Nyxll
An AI doesn't necessarily have to be very powerful, just has the ability to learn and is self aware. (Meaning that it has a sense of self preservation) Piloting modules are perfect for this. Just because it becomes self aware doesn't mean that it will be a mega powerful unstoppable machine. Look at the movie stealth. It seems like a good place to start to me. I would make the self aware vehicle land based. It need to be able to pilot drones for maintenance and refueling. (could be a minor collective) anyhow it has some really really great potential in my mind.
stevebugge
System Failure has a sort of Recipe for the formation of an AI. A highly sophisticated Pilot program probably fills some of the criteria, an anthro-form drone could probably be packed with enough processors though it would be expensive. Then you just have to create a good X-factor to create awareness/motive/personality.
Slump
QUOTE (stevebugge)
Then you just have to create a good X-factor to create awareness/motive/personality.

It was struck by lightning, wasnt' it?
Backgammon
- Did you know the Devil built a robot?
- Ah yes, El Robotico Diablo... *deep breath*
stevebugge
QUOTE (Slump)
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Jan 10 2006, 11:33 AM)
Then you just have to create a good X-factor to create awareness/motive/personality.

It was struck by lightning, wasnt' it?

You mean Johnny 5 right? I think it was.

Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper too?

But seriously I think those were the three criteria laid out in system failure

-UV Host
-Advanced Decision making Programming
-X Factor causing self awareness/personality
Straight Razor
think i'll go with a pilot - 3 = professional rating for reasoning and self aware ness.
hyzmarca
Is there any canon info on how large the average high-end optical processor is. I do find it hard to believe that space will be much of a problem. A modern computer is like a battlemech. The only thing preventing you from having a 4Ghz PDA is heat.
I imaging that you could have an UltraViolet pocket secretary for less than the price of a SOTA nuclear attack submarine, although it may require gainormous heat sinks.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Is there any canon info on how large the average high-end optical processor is. I do find it hard to believe that space will be much of a problem. A modern computer is like a battlemech. The only thing preventing you from having a 4Ghz PDA is heat.

And power. And raw physical size—there's a limit to how close they can pack the transistors.

A modern computer is like a battlemech—if it just don't fit (tonnage, in mech terms) you can't put it in there.

~J
hyzmarca
True, but most of the space on a motherboard is taken up by connectors. A processor is wafer thin and smaller than a human fingernail but it is attached to a (by comparison) giant set of gold plated pins for ease of insertion and removal. An non-upgradable proprietary system could just incorporate the processors, RAM, and other components directly into the motherboard (as is common with video, audio, and ethernet today), greatly reducing the required space. If you are going to spend billions on a self-aware drone, you may as well use custom-engineered proprietary parts just to make it look snazy.
Cray74
QUOTE (Straight Razor)
think i'll go with a pilot - 3 = professional rating for reasoning and self aware ness.

I like that. I might use that, too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012