Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Using ICE for programs.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
Couldn't you just use the biofeedback and other capabilities of IC you encounter form parts of programs that you yourself use? I could see psychotrope being the new Black Hammer.
Lindt
The big differance is horse power. Please remember that ice is fired by a pretty heafty mainframe, and not your cyber deck.

While your desktop might run Quake 3, it wont be able to take 10k people doing real time data operations on it at once.
Fix-it
QUOTE (Lindt @ Jan 11 2006, 07:35 PM)
The big differance is horse power.  Please remember that ice is fired by a pretty heafty mainframe, and not your cyber deck.

While your desktop might run Quake 3, it wont be able to take 10k people doing real time data operations on it at once.

O rly?

most desktops run web server applications just fine.

EDIT:

The whole purpose of a cyberdeck is the ability to out-proccess the server it is trying to crack, specifically running programs that are quite like corporate ICE, just aimed in a different direction.

I don't think you could run psychotrope, but you could certainly write something to mimic it's effects.

Tye Dye Hammer, anyone??
mfb
QUOTE (Fix-it)
most desktops run web server applications just fine.

eh, yes, but they don't run them for hundreds or thousands of different clients. rewriting someone's brain isn't something that should be possible without hundreds of thousands of Mp of active memory available.
Slump
You arn't trying to out-process the host, you're just trying to screw it up enough you can pry out the data. For the basic attack program, you're literally just throwing junk into the code of the IC (or persona), making it fail to operate properly.

Fix-it
sure, that's how attack programs work, but what about sleaze, decrypt, and deception operations then?
Slump
I figure they do the same thing as attack -- they throw code into the various sub-routines that they effect. Sleaze? Toss in some stuff that says you're cool and hope it works. Decrypt? It's just a decryption program. It's not like the server is activly encrypting the file while you're trying to decrypt it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012