Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drug Costs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
gtcrash
What are the prices and availability of drugs in SR4?
Only info I saw was for BTLs

What about deepweed, jazz, novacoke, ...

Psyche also seems to have no drawback (beside risk of addiction)
Mr.Platinum
you can only fit so much into one book, waite for the source books to come out.
Skippy
lol - like it would have taken alot of space for a simple Cost and availability table - or heck, even a few numbers at the end of each entry.

Honestly, I was quite disappointed that they bothered to take up 5 pages of the rulebook naming and describing the effects of the street/combat drugs and more space giving us addiction rules and then didn't even give the prices. How am I even supposed to play up an addiction when there is no way I can purchase a fix? (Yes, I know, the GM can make something up or pull them from Man and Machine or something, but the point is they should have either left them out all together like SR3 or gone the whole way, price and all. And then left the expansions to include MORE drugs)

gtcrash - if you can find a cheap, used copy of the third edition Man and Machine, I think that MOST of the drugs are listed in there with street values. The amounts are probably going to be more or less the same (me guessing here). heh It's in the section marked "Chemestry". Yep that's right. They spelled an entire chapter wrong. wink.gif Hey, maybe things ARE improving. heh

Skippy

mintcar
I was also puzzled by this.
Darkness
QUOTE (Skippy)
heh It's in the section marked "Chemestry".

rotfl.gif
*head -> table*
I'm ashamed that i actually didn't noticed this. Well i never checked the header. grinbig.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (gtcrash)

Usually, when this question comes up, some wag tries to claim that the reason you won't find prices for drugs is so that if at some point in the future, the media tries to concoct a story about some young John Q. Roleplayer who went into drug dealing, they can matter of factly point out that the rulebook contains no details about selling drugs. It's a nice urban legend, but given all the other illegal activities in this game that do end up getitng prices put on them, it just doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

The real fact of the matter is that, like the amount of payment that the average team gets for a typical run, there's going to be quite a bit of variation from GM to GM, and even from Campaign to Campaign depending on theme/mood/tone.

As for my personal advice on setting the prices for illegal drugs? Just remember, the first one is always free.
Moon-Hawk
And with a high enough disguise skill, they're ALL free. cool.gif
stevebugge
The guy currently GM'ing in our group is pricing Kamikaze at 200 per hit, but it's a low cash campaign so it's been a drugs or ammo decision a couple of times for my addict character. Drugs have won so far.
MK Ultra
biggrin.gif Ah, refreshing, my players PCs won´t touch drugs ever, even though dubious NPCs keep telling them how low the risk and how high the advantages. I allways thought this to be ok, but now, we were playing a gang champaign of street kids and still you could not get more clean then this pcs (allthough they are selling this stuff themselves). Still no pc will touch drugs ever, even where a hit of Kamikaze could have meant the difference between life and death for these low cyber types. Though I surely do not propagate druguse in reallife, I found this to be a bit disappointing. sarcastic.gif
Skippy
Well, a couple combat drugs are definitely on my shopping list for my character. For life-or-death situations, a little bit of Cram can go a long way.
stevebugge
QUOTE (MK Ultra)
biggrin.gif Ah, refreshing, my players PCs won´t touch drugs ever, even though dubious NPCs keep telling them how low the risk and how high the advantages. I allways thought this to be ok, but now, we were playing a gang champaign of street kids and still you could not get more clean then this pcs (allthough they are selling this stuff themselves). Still no pc will touch drugs ever, even where a hit of Kamikaze could have meant the difference between life and death for these low cyber types. Though I surely do not propagate druguse in reallife, I found this to be a bit disappointing. sarcastic.gif

It's actually my first addict character. The concept was loosely inspired by the movie "Jacob's Ladder" only with out the being dead part. The character is an ex-military spec-ops (like rangers level here not Delta Force) hacker-soldier hybrid. being the hacker he never quite kept up with the rest of the unit with out a little help and got hooked. Eventually the Army found out, stripped him of all his non implanted gear, his top programs, his benefits, and discharged him. SO he found himself wandering the streets of Seattle (which happens to be where he grew up) and met up with some high school buddies who were in to some street level crime themselves to make ends meet. Now they are slowly breaking in to the "next level" but because of his background Leon (my character) needs a hit of Kamikaze for the confidence to go in to any sort of danger spot, which frequently leaves him a little strung out if the opposition comes looking for the team later.
Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (gtcrash)
Only info I saw was for BTLs

What about deepweed, jazz, novacoke, ...

Psyche also seems to have no drawback (beside risk of addiction)

The first one's free...

cool.gif
OmegaSupreme
Well since no one has come out and stated prices ... I'm going to let everyone rip on my listing that I've used for two different groups now. Both groups have been accepting of the prices both because a GM is god of the game and because, for the most part, they make sense.

Name - Cost/10grams
Bliss - 10
Cram - 70
Deepweed - 150
Jazz - 150
Kamikaze - 500
Long Haul - 50
Nitro - 750
Novacoke - 500
Psyche - 200
Zen - 50

Addictions and use amounts

Mild - 1g per use
Moderate - 5g per use
Severe - 10g per use
Burnout - 10g per use

the usage amounts came from one of my faces being a returning runner coming off of a 10 year addiction very slowly ... he started as a severe and worked down to a mild and I compensated thinking that he would not use as much each time since his body was getting rid of it's tolerance.

I usually run a medium to high money returning game so if you think the prices are high ... change them for you game.
stevebugge
Seems like a pretty good starting point. NovaCoke may be a bit high I think I'd put it closer to 250-300. I'd be leary of using a standardized size per dose as the form, potency, and consumption vary from drug to drug. I think I'd just use a"hit" as the unit of measure rather than the gram, but moderate addiction may require 2 hits for full effect, Severe 3, and Burnouts 3-4.
LaughingTiger
QUOTE (OmegaSupreme @ Jan 12 2006, 01:50 PM)
the usage amounts came from one of my faces being a returning runner coming off of a 10 year addiction very slowly ... he started as a severe and worked down to a mild and I compensated thinking that he would not use as much each time since his body was getting rid of it's tolerance. 

This really depends on how much reality you want in your game, but it's very hard for an addict to "cut bacK" his or her intake. Part of the addiction is psychological dependance. All you need is one bad day, which starts a binge and then you're hooked.

And the uses don't get lower. The trick is that your body becomes acclimated to the substance physically, requiring a larger and larger dose to achieve your desired result. If you were trying to curb your craving, you'd never succeed because your body is going to start craving more than what you are giving.

As AA has famously said, a recovered alcholic who is completely dry is only one drink away from alcoholism.

This kind of indivualistic reduction to addiction and dependancy would require that the character percieve that he has a problem, then having the willpower to refrain from taking the substance that many use specificialy to deal with the problem itself.

I'm not saying it's impossible, again it deals wiht how real you want your drugs to be in your game. But that's a man with a very, very high Willpower, I would say.
Kyoto Kid
It's not so much the cost but the availability. Gamma S, one of the faves of several of my characters in SR3 who use the Super Squirt is now is now beyond the starting level availablity.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012