Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wolfgang Keis
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
fourstring_samurai
a recent coment about wolf and raven got me thinking about wolfgang keis.

what exactly is he? is he unique?

as near as i can gather, he seems to be some kind of physad who gets his powers from a totem (wolf). i know that he's a werewolf, but what about the boosted abilities he gets directly from wolf?

and just what happened to the guy?

fistandantilus4.0
To my knowledge there hasn't been much published about him except as a cameo in "The Terminus Experiment".

It never really says, but what I understood was that he was some sort of Wolf shapeshifter that was also a phys ad, very strongly linked to his totem.

My favorite parts of that book was when the Old Wolf totem told him "Don't worry [insert Wolf's name that his totem calls him], I'll protext your bitch." Good times, good times
Critias
I don't think it's so much that he was "unique," as he was "written as a cool character before most of the rules came out."

If you were to try and recreate that sort of character, today, he'd be pretty easy to do as a Wolf aspected Adept, and (for lack of a better way to do it), make him a wolf shapeshifter (raised as a human, by humans, somehow). Failing that, you could make him a full-on Physmage, and for just about his only spell give him Shapeshift (or whatever it was called).
nick012000
I thought he was a full-on Shaman, with a tendency towards buffing spells.
MK Ultra
It was stated in Into the Shadows, Dr. Raven sayed, Wolf was "blessed by the wolvespirit" wether that means nyahnyah.gif
Ancient History
It was made out that Wolfgang was a physad who followed the Wolf totem, accessing his more potent abilities was accompanied by an apparently lycanthropic change. In modern perspective, Wolfgang Keis has a shamanic mask that drops down over him when using his powers.
Grimtooth
Also made an appearance in KAGE in the story "If as Beast You Don't Succeed"

just my 2 nuyen
mintcar
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
To my knowledge there hasn't been much published about him except as a cameo in "The Terminus Experiment".

It never really says, but what I understood was that he was some sort of Wolf shapeshifter that was also a phys ad, very strongly linked to his totem.

My favorite parts of that book was when the Old Wolf totem told him "Don't worry [insert Wolf's name that his totem calls him], I'll protext your bitch." Good times, good times

I also loved that particular line. smile.gif
fistandantilus4.0
I always liked that book because
1- I like Michael Stackpole's writing

2- Wolf wasn't the kind of character the always got the upper hand or was always on the ball. 'Course there was that part where he did the classis 80's action movie hero bit where he got the crap kicked out of him for a while then came back, but hey, it's all good.

3- ally spirit in the form of a yacht. Not his, but it was still cool. wink.gif
Paul
And here I was going to say someones idea of a joke, or some power gamers best Wolverine mock up.... cool.gif
Reaver
Mr. Stackpole also had three of four short stories in various Challenge magazines with Wolfgang and the crew. I've still got them sitting on a shelf. smile.gif
TheQuestionMan
The great thing about Wolf is he seemed to match Harrison Ford's Indiana Jones characters. They get the drek kicked out of them, but somehow survive and come back to win.

Appearences in Shadow
Novels
Into the Shadows - Short Story (Micheal Stackpole)
Wolf and Raven - Autobiographical-ish (Micheal Stackpole)
Terminus Experiment - Guest Appearance (Micheal Stackpole)

RPG Books
Shadows of North America - Shadow Comments (I forget where)
Seattle Sourcebook - Shadow Comments (I forget where)

Some times confused with Lone Wolf, a X-Star Undercover Operative.

Cheers

QM
mattness pl
"Into The Shadows" - MasN review

QUOTE (Reaver)
Mr. Stackpole also had three of four short stories in various Challenge magazines with Wolfgang and the crew.  I've still got them sitting on a shelf.  smile.gif

Rever, any more details. I'm collecting info about SR products, and that's what I found about Challenge
NightmareX
QUOTE (Critias @ Jan 12 2006, 01:42 AM)
I don't think it's so much that he was "unique," as he was "written as a cool character before most of the rules came out."

If you were to try and recreate that sort of character, today, he'd be pretty easy to do as a Wolf aspected Adept, and (for lack of a better way to do it), make him a wolf shapeshifter (raised as a human, by humans, somehow).  Failing that, you could make him a full-on Physmage, and for just about his only spell give him Shapeshift (or whatever it was called).

In Into the Shadows, he casts a low powered healing spell on either Zig or Zag - "The most Dox Raven ever managed to teach me". So definitely magician adept. Therefore, I'm thinking human not shapeshifter. Note that he does not regenerate. Kinda rules out the latter. wink.gif

Edit to add - Make his tradition a possession version of Shamanism (he was self taught) and you're good to go.
Snow_Fox
I'm pretty sure he's a case of a written character before there were nay rules on it. He seems like a lycanthrope, not a shifter but an actual human who sometimes has to change and strives to control it.
SL James
You don't say.

QUOTE (Critias)

If you were to try and recreate that sort of character, today, he'd be pretty easy to do as a Wolf aspected Adept, and (for lack of a better way to do it), make him a wolf shapeshifter (raised as a human, by humans, somehow).  Failing that, you could make him a full-on Physmage, and for just about his only spell give him Shapeshift (or whatever it was called).
NightmareX
biggrin.gif To make it utterly clear, Wolfgang was written as Critias put it "before most of the rules came out" - as in before the SR1 BBB even came out. IIRC, Into the Shadows was mostly complete before the game was even launched.

SF is right regarding his lycanthrope-esqe nature, but it comes from being (basically) possessed on and off by the Wolf totem (as someone mentioned).
Fygg Nuuton
QUOTE (NightmareX @ Jan 1 2007, 02:20 AM)
SF is right regarding his lycanthrope-esqe nature, but it comes from being (basically) possessed on and off by the Wolf totem (as someone mentioned).

Snow Fox is, on most occasions, a she. Unless I missed something.

Anyway, Wolfgang is cool because his inner puppy calls his lady a bitch, and by the virtue of being normal compared to Kid Stealth.

Also, Ally Spirit Yacht!
Ryu
I donīt think he was accusing SF of having a lycanthrophist nature wink.gif
NightmareX
That I wasn't Ryu, that I wasn't rotfl.gif
Chrome Shadow
Wolfgang said on one novel that he was cursed, but with the help of Dr. Raven, got control over it. It also said that he hunted down and kill the other humans cursed that couldn't control themselves...
mintcar
A few cool lines and characters in those stories. And it's fun that they're not just pulpy, but also shamelessly puts a disproportional focus on the writer's favourit sport. Stackpole must be such a baseball fan. biggrin.gif
SL James
Yeah, author bias has never, ever come up in any other novels. Ever.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012