Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HMHVV Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Stormdrake
basically for reasons of creating a nasty opponent I am asking if a breeding drake could be infected with HMHVV. In my game am leaning towards saying its possible but am curious what others think the resulting critter would be like. For my personal take I am saying the drake in question was unmannifested when he was attacked by a vampire and the resulting trauma triggered his previously dormant Drake genes. Thoughts, besides it can't be done?
stevebugge
QUOTE (Stormdrake)
Thoughts, besides it can't be done?

Yes:

Yuck what a monster!

At least if your going to give it all the traits of a Drake and Vampire. I don't remember ever seeing anything that specifically outlawed this hybrid, though some might argue that the HMH portion of HMHVV may preclude Drakes on the basis aren't quite Metahumans.
MK Ultra
You could just use Drop Bears nyahnyah.gif

If you realy want a nasty fragger, just stack the powers of the bred drake with the powers of the HMHVV-Metatype. Would not be much more powerfull as a true drake (see Dragons of the 6th World).
stevebugge
QUOTE (MK Ultra)
You could just use Drop Bears nyahnyah.gif

Yes, there is always room for Drop Bears
Mr.Platinum
Hey I made a Drake fox shape shifter once, lacked on skills and Nuyen but damn it was hard to kill.
Gothic Rose
I don't think it'd work. I don't know much about Drakes, but...Well, they're not Human.

Nor are they Metahuman. They're Drakes.

Kinda like how Shapeshifters aren't their base metarace.

I could be wrong though. If it did work, I'd say the resulting creature would be some sort of perverted Necrodragon.
Mr.Platinum
it was a human as it's base race, but as far as i know, it can be done.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Gothic Rose)
If it did work, I'd say the resulting creature would be some sort of perverted Necrodragon.

That I would pay to see
Mr.Platinum
man that is a cool idear there Mr.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Stormdrake)
Thoughts, besides it can't be done?

Is it called ˙tzg˙l?
Mr.Platinum
no I named him Chonin the Golden Haired.
Rotbart van Dainig
That's cruel.
Ancient History
I'm going to say this once: if a drake can catch HMHVV, then Ryan Mercury will become a nosferatu on top of everything else. Is that what you want? Hmm? A goth emo Ryan Mercury?
stevebugge
QUOTE (Ancient History)
I'm going to say this once: if a drake can catch HMHVV, then Ryan Mercury will become a nosferatu on top of everything else. Is that what you want? Hmm? A goth emo Ryan Mercury?

Hmmm......That might be a slight improvement
FrankTrollman
Just curious... since a Drake can mimic any metatype, any namegiver, wouldn't that mean that a Drake Vampire would have every kind of vampiric modification?

So they get white poofy hair and long fangs and expanded dermal deposits and acidic secretions and they lose their sapience, and I don't have to care what they do anymore...

-Frank
Ancient History
Talking Bred Drakes here Frank, True Drakes are a whole different kettle of fish.
nick012000
What I want to know is what happens when a Technomancer gets infected with HMHVV. He can't become a Vampire, because they have a Magic rating and Magic and Resonance are mutually exclusive attributes.
Grinder
He'll lose his Resonance completly?
fistandantilus4.0
I don't recall on 4th ed, but in other editions, many vamps were magically active, but not all. But I would say that it would be one or the other, leaning towards magical ability over resonance. No half and half, like half orks or dwelfs (dwarf/elf, also known as the average human, which of course does not exist as a PC)
nick012000
In 4th, all paracritters have a Magic rating, which their critter powers are based off of. Not all vamps have the Magician or Adept qualities, though.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (nick012000)
What I want to know is what happens when a Technomancer gets infected with HMHVV.

To become infected, he must have lost his Essence completly - loosing all his resonance.
nick012000
I don't think so- if you've submerged and picked up a Resonance of 7+ you'll still have a point left over once the vampire finishes draining you.
FrankTrollman
But you still die, which presumably terminates your Resonance.

-Frank
Stormdrake
Some interesting ideas. Necrodrake sounds rather entertaining to say the least, lol. I was going towards the idea that the drake / vampire would have all the abilities of both. The powers pretty much speak for themselves and should make for a seriously tough bad guy.
As for motivation of said bad guy. The idea that was floating around in my head was that the infected drake would come to believe that this is the true path to freedom for his kind and start searching out undiscovered drakes. Then of course once he find them he infects them. All in the name of "freeing" them from their servitude to the dragon race.
Team could be hired by necrodrake to track down other undicovered drakes or they could be hired by others to stop said necrodrake from destroying the Drake race. In any case should be fun to play with.
boskop-albatros
yes it is me again; as for this question I actually don't think it is possible but I Could be wrong--It's cool to find an Experimental loophole I didn't think of though
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (nick012000 @ Jan 13 2006, 12:58 PM)
I don't think so- if you've submerged and picked up a Resonance of 7+ you'll still have a point left over once the vampire finishes draining you.

Oh, you are so right - you can't burn out in SR4 if you got enough grades... sweet, cyberzombies just got more interesting. wink.gif
Stormdrake
Further thought on HMHVV sufferers. A vampire in and of itself is not overtly magical. Its powers are fueled by the essence drained from its victims right? So am I right in thinking a vampire could survive in a down period? An even further thought for the HMHVV blighted. IF one was magically active and had learned blood magic or the metamagic of sacrifice could not such a person cast magic in a down period if it was done through ritual before normal magic could be done through and upswing in the manna cycle? My understanding of blood magic or sacrifice is that the dieing individual powers the spell or summoning with their essence rather than drawing power from the metaplames.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Stormdrake)
Further thought on HMHVV sufferers. A vampire in and of itself is not overtly magical. Its powers are fueled by the essence drained from its victims right? So am I right in thinking a vampire could survive in a down period?

Whatever it's fueled by, a vampire requires the use of a magical power (Essence Drain) to live. It may require more than that, as a vampire literally dies before it is transformed by the virus (says so right in the Essence Drain power).

So I would say that a vampire might be able to live 12 months in a magic-less period, living off the Essence it has already drained. Thereafter, it's going to need to perform magical actions to feed or it's going to die. And with a -12 die pool modifier to its Essence Drain actions in a manawarp, that's just not going to happen. A vampire just can't survive through a down cycle.

-Frank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012