Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Captain Chaos
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
EVLTIM
I am flipping threw PAONA looking for info for my next thread , and I notice that Shadoland is hosted by Control.

But there is this guy Casper posting in the shadow talk . Everybody keeps calling him Cap for short .
On Page 35 in the Bogie section he gets in a pissing match with Yobo , who backs down fast .
Is Casper realy Captain Chaos of Shadowland fame posting back in 51?
The Jopp
Casper the friendly ghost?
EVLTIM
He is just listed as Casper , but everybody keeps calling him Cap , which as we all know later in the game is the calling card nickname of some one else .
mfb
i doubt it. there's nothing to indicate that Captain Chaos is any great shakes in the meat, whereas Cap the Knife--aka Casper--is obviously not a guy you wanna piss off. i mean, it's not impossible--but it's more likely that there's many, many runners out there whose name or nickname can be shortened to "Cap".
Abstruse
The good Captain started working for Shadowland in 2051 I believe, but he didn't make SysOp until 2053 or so and he wasn't in charge until at least 2055.

The Abstruse One
EVLTIM
OK Going off that . He still would need to be a grade A decker just to be on board wink.gif

And realy would a fellow decker be more likely to b ack down from some meat bad ass or a virtual one ?

If Casper is just some uber sammy guy , why doesn't Yobo , just keep telling him to piss off , and pull out the F.U. decker tricks and make his life a liveing hell.
You know stuff like close his bank acount , turn off his water , and other utilities , Report his car stolen , frame him for a hack into some corp database .

Instead he backs down practicly tripping over himself to apologise .
Sepherim
I believe I recall the apearance of a CASper in some sourcebooks, is he the one you're talking about? Since I don't recall anyone calling him Cap (though I don't own PAoNA).
EVLTIM
Yes . In PAoNA he keeps getting called Cap by everyone , but his post stamp says Casper.
Siege
Probably for two reasons:

1. Even Fastjack has meat somewhere
2. "Cap" can probably call in other deckers to run interference until he finds the offending decker's meat

Don't make enemies unless you have to and even then, think twice.

-Siege
last_of_the_great_mikeys
If CASper is SINless, then there's not a whole lot that could be done to him in the matrix if he doesn't jack in (bank account? What bank account? Certified credsticks, chummer!)...but if he knows how to find you and he's a sammy while you're a decker, ya don't wanna tangle with him in the meat world!
mfb
right. because SINless people leave absolutely no datatrail, anywhere. and a SINless shadowrunner would have absolutely nothing to fear if Lone Star were to come knocking on the door of his safehouse.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
QUOTE (mfb)
right. because SINless people leave absolutely no datatrail, anywhere. and a SINless shadowrunner would have absolutely nothing to fear if Lone Star were to come knocking on the door of his safehouse.

Uh...that IS the idea of being SINless. Lone Star would not be able to look up his address 'cause it ain't registered. If Lone Star came knocking on his door, it's unlikely it'd be because some SINless decker told the cops that another SINless guy threatened him.

Sure, he could try and bust Lone Star's system and plant enough for an arrest warrant, but he better be on par with Fastjack or the Star's security deckers'll tag an' bag 'im! If he gets past the deckers, then there's the IC, plus all the alarms that just got raised. Just 'cause he's on Shadowland don't mean he's the best.

mfb
malarky. all the decker has to do is watch the guy long enough to gather evidence that he's done crime X. then, he sells the info to either Lone Star or the corp that crime X was perpetrated against. not only has he all but killed the guy, he's probably made a profit. QED.

and remember, he's SINless. that means Lone Star doesn't need a warrant to come kick down his door--he gets that criminal SIN after they've arrested and processed him. given that it's a criminal SIN, it's not impossible that it's assigned only after he's convicted, though it's more likely that he's given a temporary SIN that is made permanent after conviction. and as far as finding him, that's what deckers do. so this guy's SINless--that means he never, ever uses a false SIN? he doesn't hold a number bank account anywhere? he doesn't have pirated tridservice that can be traced to a physical address? his face isn't stored in the archives of the GridGuide monitoring cameras all over Seattle? being SINless doesn't mean you can't be found, it just means the guy trying to find you has to use a different approach.
Plus your forgetting programs that can track you down, usually a decker is doing an illegal act just by being online and lonestar has plenty of kick but tracking programs(Black Hammer anyone?), but I don't know if this is offly important, then again it is.
mfb
black hammer is a combat prog. it's got nothing to do with tracking. on the other hand, there is the track utility, which mimicks trace IC.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012