Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions about Grenades
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Varquai
I've got some grenade questions I'm hoping someone with more experience in this game can help me with smile.gif

1) On page 313, in the second paragraph of the grenades section it mentions aerodynamic grenades and minigrenades. Are these all the same price? The only prices I can find for grenades are those listed on page 314.

If so, what would be the point of ever buying standard grenades as the aerodynamic ones have less scatter and apparently can travel farther.

2) It says, "Minigrenades are specifically designed for use with grenade launchers (either the standard version). The part in parenthesis is the part I'm wondering about. Is it trying to say a grenade launcher can use either minigrenades or standard grenades?

3) On page 145, under Timing Grenades it says a grenade will detonate on the next initiative pass using the initiative score of the thrower (unless airburst link is involved). However, the Grenades section on page 313 comments that minigrenades will explode on impact (unless using an airburst link). So are minigrenades an exception, and if so, does this make them worth more?

Thanks! smile.gif
Varquai
MaxMahem
Not realy related, but I have grenades explode on the next combat turn, not inative pass. An inative pass is not realy a set unit of time in my view, so it makes more sense to have the grenades explode when the next definet period of time has gone by.
fistandantilus4.0
Max: does that ever create problems for you with high initiative charactersr throwing grenades back and forth?

Varquai: as far as normal grenade designs vs aerodynamics, for one, off the top of my head, it's easier to roll a ball shaped grenade than a frisbee shaped one. Most of the time grenades are used in my games, their trown to bounce off of ocrners or rolled in to rooms. I can't think of one instance where range has ever been a factor with grenades in one of my games. But I suppose that just depends on style.

There's a number of ways to handle when a grenade explodes. You can also (or at lest you dcould before) have them explode on an impast or at a certain range with the proper 'ware. As for mini grenades, they'r ejust a more specific design I believe.
MaxMahem
Max: does that ever create problems for you with high initiative charactersr throwing grenades back and forth?

Not realy, I usually call for an Agility (2) test to catch a bouncing, scattering grenade if the character has two hands free. The threshold raises to 3 if they only have one hand free. Obvioulsy if they have no hands free, such an action is not possible. Heavy modifiers are usually applied to the test, generaly taken from the perception table, such as lighting conditions, distractions (being shot at) and so on. This generaly makes the test difficult enough that my players only attempt such an action in the direst of circumstances, and usually burn some edge to do it. If at all possible they usualy dive for cover instead, as it generaly fool proof.
Kerberos
QUOTE (MaxMahem)
Not realy related, but I have grenades explode on the next combat turn, not inative pass. An inative pass is not realy a set unit of time in my view, so it makes more sense to have the grenades explode when the next definet period of time has gone by.

It's not IMO a problem that in initiative pass isn't a set time. After all characters with faster reflexes (more initiative passes) might simply set their grenades to explode faster. That makes perfect sense to me.
MaxMahem
It's not IMO a problem that in initiative pass isn't a set time. After all characters with faster reflexes (more initiative passes) might simply set their grenades to explode faster. That makes perfect sense to me.

I could see that, but on the other hand, I find it hard to belive that everone with the same number of inative passes just happens to set there grenades to the same time period, or if you just happen to grab a grenade you automaticly know what time period to set it for, in relation to your inative pass.

And as I sead the length of an inative pass is reather nebulous, it very's from combat to combat, depending upon the situation. It seems more likely to me that everyones grenades are set for the same 3 secound (or whatever) interval, or some multiple of it. It meshes better with what we have today as well.
ogbendog
everything in the game is wireless, right? so why can't you send a wireless comand to the grenade to detonate?

such a command would, of course, only be processed if the pin is removed.
warrior_allanon
QUOTE (ogbendog)
everything in the game is wireless, right? so why can't you send a wireless comand to the grenade to detonate?

such a command would, of course, only be processed if the pin is removed.

because the standing rule (granted unwritten but real) with grenades is that once the pin is pulled Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012