Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dynamic Fodder Generator
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lagomorph
My GM complained about a week ago about the lack of grunts in the SR4 book. Mainly that there weren't any mages ( I found one later while looking more carefully). However that got me on the idea of developing an application that would be able to make fodder so that a GM could get some stats whipped up with out too much work.

Currently it is designed to whip up a set of attributes and skills for a given point value, with a subset of primary stats and skills being given a higher atttribute or skill level than the others.

So my question is this, would any one here be interested in using such a program? If so, what kinds of features would you be interested in seeing added?
Turjon Apocritus
I wouldn't mind it since its just for fodder but somethings that would be nice to see quickly would be

Attributes
Basic skill set (based on a selected archtype)
simple weapon list with attributes

most of the time that is all i use for the fodder anyway.
Akimbo
I would absolutely love a random fodder generator. I suggest you include everything a character would have including attributes, skills, equipment, cyberware, and magic. It should also contain degrees of said fodder. There should be highly skilled fodder, unskilled fodder, and your average everyday fodder. This should have civillians, corporate security, suits, thugs, gang bangers, and contacts.

Edit: Also apply racial mods for the fodder.
mdynna
I agree you should be able to select "templates" kind of that would define some of the limitations of the generator. Eg. "Average ganger", "Elite Corp Guard". In fact, it would be best if those were separate options. You would have a skill level selector, and then a template drop-list.

If you want some help with this, I would be interested. I've been a professional VB and C++ programmer for a couple years now.
Lagomorph
Thanks for the replies! I should have a prototype hopefully before next weekend.

I've got most of the mechanics for purchasing Stats and Skills in, but no GUI, spells, weapons, or cyber/bio. I'll try to stub in a weapon or two and a spell or two, and I'll definately get the GUI up and see if there's a place I can put it to show you guys and get some feedback.

mdynna, I'm currently developing this in C#, if you're still interested, send me a PM and we'll talk about it, I can send my source code over and show you what I have so far (once I get home from work that is).
Backgammon
Pick a number. Let's say "3".

All of your goons's stats are at 3. All the skills they're gonna use are at 3.

There, done.

Don't waste effort on fodder.
Azralon
That's basically what I'm doing myself, Backgammon. Obviously there are some racial adjustments and some gear to layer in, but for the most part the no-name fodder just live in my head.

The "named" or otherwise special folks get put to paper, of course. Primes need the extra bit of administration.

.... Oh, and something else I've started doing: My NPCs will typically do the take-4 thing in noncritical situations (and sometimes in opposed tests with PCs, rather like setting the Threshold). That is to say, I severely cut down on my dice rolling whenever I can help it. This keeps the players from knowing that something's going on.

I often roll the dice for no apparent reason, too, but that's just more smoke and mirrors.
Apathy
I often liked to use this guy's webpage for fodder in SR3.
Turjon Apocritus
I like that i think if he turned it into sr4 its pretty nice
Lagomorph
QUOTE (Azralon)
The "named" or otherwise special folks get put to paper, of course. Primes need the extra bit of administration.

If the program were capable of creating a prime runner opponent, would you be interested?
Turjon Apocritus
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
QUOTE (Azralon @ Jan 16 2006, 11:11 PM)

If the program were capable of creating a prime runner opponent, would you be interested?

unfortunately not, at least for me just because for prime runners i like to create them with the idea of what i am using them for so i always use pen and paper for those.
Azralon
QUOTE (Lagomorph)

I would indeed, Lag. Primes can take as much administrative overhead as player characters and useful tool would be a welcome speed boost.

At that point, though, you'd basically be making an entire character generator. I don't know what sort of manhours you're looking to devote to this, but I commend the sentiment either way.
Lagomorph
Thanks for the continued input every one. Even if it isn't entirely useful I'll still continue development, mostly because I need the practice! biggrin.gif When I get a nicely functioning version I'll put a post in the SR4 programs list.

@Az: Well I'll see how far I get, like you're saying, a prime runner generator is a tall order. What I can say is that right now there isn't a limit on the points that are used to create said fodder, so it could have the points of a prime runner. But not as much of the fancy gear.
Akimbo
Looking forward to seeing it.
emo samurai
Hmm... I'm thinking of using prime runners as level bosses. I don't see myself randomly generating them...
Liper
I prefer a fairly lethal world myself no need to randomly make stats, I just randomly make attributes/skills as situations arise =p

Angelstandings
@lagomorph - Great idea... I'm working on something very similiar myself...

How far along are you in programming it? What language? Would you be interested in swapping some code?
fenikso
A program, which you can use to make any SR4 character with any equipment, calculating cost and BP would be nice.
blakkie
QUOTE (fenikso)
A program, which you can use to make any SR4 character with any equipment, calculating cost and BP would be nice.
Lagomorph
@Angelstandings: I'm currently developing in C#, I've got stats and skills working, I'm in the middle of getting the xml templates read in properly, so maybe after that some basic cyber/bio, a list of spells to choose from, and then a GUI and spit the character out to a file for printing and use. If you want to, you can pm me or email me at adobewanAThotmailDOTcom

@fenisko: They are nice, but realistically not in the scope of this project. like blakkie linked, there are several SR4 character making programs, though I'm pretty sure that no SR4 chargen programs have gear yet. (that'd be tedious to deal with)
Mr.Platinum
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
My GM complained about a week ago about the lack of grunts in the SR4 book. Mainly that there weren't any mages ( I found one later while looking more carefully). However that got me on the idea of developing an application that would be able to make fodder so that a GM could get some stats whipped up with out too much work.

Currently it is designed to whip up a set of attributes and skills for a given point value, with a subset of primary stats and skills being given a higher atttribute or skill level than the others.

So my question is this, would any one here be interested in using such a program? If so, what kinds of features would you be interested in seeing added?

No i would'nt, I would just use what ever they give me in the books in the future. Or make up a couple of goons using a character genarator, what ever is simpliest.
Angelstandings
QUOTE (Lagomorph @ Jan 20 2006, 03:49 PM)
@Angelstandings: I'm currently developing in C#, I've got stats and skills working, I'm in the middle of getting the xml templates read in properly, so maybe after that some basic cyber/bio, a list of spells to choose from, and then a GUI and spit the character out to a file for printing and use. If you want to, you can pm me or email me at

I'm currently working on it in C++ since that's what I have experience in... As I understand it, C# is MS's flavor of Java, so I don't know if anything either of us does will benefit the other -- I could be wrong.

I'm still working on the GUI... I could use an existing C++ GUI toolkit, but I figure it's a good way to brush up on my skills by coding my own (haven't written anything of my own in ages).

Basically my program will allow you to make a character from scratch, create an Archetype, or load an existing Archetype and modify them. Then after saving/printing/whatever, you can load the characters into a simulated enviroment (a city street, building, 'danger room', or whatever) and see how they interact.

Considering I wouldn't make any actual graphics for anything (well, maybe something like nethack 'graphics') it's not so difficult.
Lagomorph
Well, work on this project has been halted for the moment, atleast until I finish applying for the CS department. Once I get that done however work will continue.
Kanati Synge
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
Well, work on this project has been halted for the moment, atleast until I finish applying for the CS department. Once I get that done however work will continue.

Good luck with your application and I am looking forward to seeing your Dynamic Fodder Generator.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012