Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR3 or SR4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
TheUnforgivn
Hey guys. I tried looking around and maybe I didnt look hard enough but I didnt see this around here.
I've been looking into picking up Shadowrun for awhile know and I'm wondering should I go pick up the SR3 books, or should I go with the newer SR4? I havent played much shadowrun in the past, just mainly looked into it.

Can I get some of your opinions on the two?
Kagetenshi
I recommend SR3.

One discussion

~J
TheUnforgivn
Thank you, thats what I was looking for.
mintcar
I recommend SR4.

Itīs mainly a question of taste. If you like a fast (and IMO, fun) ruleset and the thought of a wireless-ever-present computer network a la Ghost in the Shell, SR4. If you donīt mind that the rules change fundamentaly depending on what you do, still think the three dimentional BBS network of Gibsonīs is cool, and value tactical application and mathematical finesse over ease of use, SR3.
LaughingTiger
Having played both, I reccmoond SR4.

I make that reccomendation becasue to me and my entire group, the rules are a lot easier to learn. They're less intensive, and that fits better with my group.

For example:

I created St. louis Blue, a master decker, with a player. It took us two hours.

I created teh same character. Took us about half an hour, tops.

There's a massive difference in complexity between the two, and I'll always fall on the "easy" side of things, comparatively.

Also, all of the material will be 4th from now. Unless you want to search Ebay for books or do a lot of conversitions, go SR4.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mintcar @ Jan 17 2006, 02:18 AM)
Itīs mainly a question of taste. If you like a fast (and IMO, fun) ruleset and the thought of a wireless-ever-present computer network a la Ghost in the Shell, SR4. If you donīt mind that the rules change fundamentaly depending on what you do, still think the three dimentional BBS network of Gibsonīs is cool, and value tactical application and mathematical finesse over ease of use, SR3.

Mmm, spin. Let's rewrite this passage, shall we?

It's mainly a matter of taste. If you value speed over sanity, think that basic parts of cybered people's bodies should be running wide-open wireless, and don't mind the fact that vastly different operations work exactly the same, play SR4. If you prefer a powerful, flexible, and adaptable ruleset, go with SR3.

I'm not saying that what you said was wrong per se, but your section on SR4 (like my section on SR3) left out any nod to the host of flaws in the game while your SR3 section… was rather more well-equipped in that department, shall we say.

~J
Critias
SR4 benefits: simpler system for faster gameplay, sourcebooks from here on out are SR4, might be a better choice for players newer to RPGs in general.

SR4 drawbacks: simpler system might not be what you want (especially if you already have RPG experience), sourcebooks aren't all released yet (less cool toys than SR3, less cyberware/bioware, less detailed magic, etc).

SR3 benefits: more complex/detailed system, all the sourcebooks you'll need are already published (and can be purchased at used prices, lots of the time).

SR3 drawbacks: The detail-oriented system can slow things down until you become used to it, no new sourcebooks/product support (setting books are SR4 from here on out, and may need conversion to SR3 to keep your game "up to date."

There. Is that fair and impartial enough? For the record (ask anyone), I very strongly and forcefully prefer SR3 -- but I tried to make a fairly neutral breakdown.
mintcar
Kage: True. sorry smile.gif . I did try to get to the source of it though, just wasnīt able to be non partial.

Lets just shave it off a bit and say:

Tactial application and mathematical finness, but inherent complexities that are hard to get around—SR3.

Easy to use, bare bones system with a consistent base that is easier to adapt, but containing more stupid details as written—SR4.

+what Critias said, before he edited wink.gif (just couldnīt help yourself either, could you?)
jervinator
Mechanics wise, SR4 wins quite handilly. Problem is that SR3 has so many cool things that have yet to be converted over; it hasn't had nearly the development that SR3 has enjoyed.
I do SR4 and wing it on converting the massive pile of SR3 stuff that is (so far) missing.
Wounded Ronin
I'm doing Peace Corps service and will be away from the US for 2 years, so I haven't had the chance to check out SR4.

However, I always loved the tactical aspects of SR3, and recently had started thinking that SR3 wasn't refined *enough* statistically, and that it needed more firearms realism.

So, I guess SR4 would just be very painful to me if I were to read it.
blakkie
QUOTE (TheUnforgivn @ Jan 17 2006, 12:33 AM)
Hey guys. I tried looking around and maybe I didnt look hard enough but I didnt see this around here.
I've been looking into picking up Shadowrun for awhile know and I'm wondering should I go pick up the SR3 books, or should I go with the newer SR4? I havent played much shadowrun in the past, just mainly looked into it.

Can I get some of your opinions on the two?

While moving between SR3 to SR4 is questionable for some at this point because of the development factor, if you are just looking at one or the other to start out with you only need to ask yourself a single simple question:

"Do I like doing Calculus while strung out on my hallucinogen drug of choice?"

If the answer is "No" then SR isn't for you. Wuss.
If the answer is "Maybe" then SR4.
If the answer is "Yes" then SR3.
If the answer is "That's what I do most Saturday nights" then run, don't walk, to your nearest book clearance store and pick up SR3. Make sure to also pick up a copy of Rigger 3 for extra giggles.
If the answer is "I don't remember" then you likely already are an SR3 player. Try checking under the empty pizza boxes for your BBB.
mintcar
biggrin.gif Häh
mmu1
I dislike SR4 greatly, because I think it's a "worst of both worlds" kind of game - a simplistic ruleset that still manages to be clumsy as hell. It doesn't have the tactical options of SR3, and it doesn't come close to the simplicity and ease of play of a real streamlined system. (like Green Ronin's Mutants and Masterminds, for example)

SR3 requires you to roll tons of dice - but there are good reasons for it... So does SR4, but only to make the game "feel like Shadowrun" - it'd have actually been a better game if they'd used a d20 or a 3d6 resolution system, but they couldn't, because then more people would notice it's nothing like the old SR anymore.
BlackHat
The Shadowrun 4 board has quite a few threads on this topic. I suggest re-trying a search there.
FrankTrollman
One thing to note is that most of the Shadowrun 4 proponents played SR3 for many many years, while many of the SR3 holdouts have given SR4 only a cursory look through. So you understandably see a lot more misrepresentation in pro-SR3 arguments than you do in pro-SR4 arguments. It's not that people like Kagetenshi are being deliberately deceitful, they simply don't know what they are talking about.

In SR4, your cybereyes by default have the ability to store images of things you've seen and subsequently broadcast streaming video feeds to your friends (and receive such feeds as well if you've set them up to do that). They do not necessarily run wide-open wireless the rest of the time (and indeed there are good reasons not to).

SR4 eliminated the propability hijinx of the 6/7 interface, flattened the damage curves so that you could throw around combatants with large weapons and powerful frames (like ships) without resorting to mini-games or rolling hundreds of dice. It really did introduce some new statistical anomalies (such as the even/odd glitch chances or the poorly editted ammunition modifiers), but compared to the statistical anomalies that it closed (the imparity of body and strength, for example), it's pretty minor.

Of course, we've all played SR3 for years, so we've all gotten used to SR3's probllems. SR4 comes around, closes a lot of them, and introduces a couple of minor ones - and suddenly the sky is falling.

-Frank
mfb
that might be correct for some SR3 'holdouts', but it's hardly true for all of us. and the definition of minor problems versus major problems varies from player to player.
Critias
I am genuinely unsure what good can come from this thread continuing.
Kyoto Kid
Frank

Well put. I have been in the SR3 camp for a while since 4 came out but decided, 'Lets give it a look". Well after working with ver. 4 for the last few months (Still don't have anybody running 4 in my locale) I found a number of features that I like and am more than willing to give it a couple of shots, Oh, I still have a few beefs, but once I got the feel of it though Chargen and mock situations, overall I think the system is pretty good.

I particularly like the new decking (sorry, old habit) rules and the way skills are linked to attributes. I also like the Skill Group concept which allow a character to be equally as good in a number of related skills rather than have the purchase them all separately. Actually the toughest part of designing a character is now developing the concept and the "How & Why" this person became a shadowrunner, which is good. Several of the characters I worked up (and reworked from older ones) have extensive backgrounds & in the case of my namesake, KK a very intricate and detailed character (short) story.

The only area I haven't really cracked much was magic, most of the characters (with the exception KK being an adept) are mundane, but even in SR3 I rarely if ever ran an awakened PC. (just am not into managing all the spell stuff and there is already a glut of spell slingers in the group I'm with).

Of course, I am very curious to see what the new supplements will be like (the reason for my group's holdout), but I find the core rules pretty complete and ready to go as is. After all, a good GM will let the players modify their characters (withing reasonable limits) to accommodate any new material that comes down the pike.
blakkie
Reruns are to the modern man what locust were to Egypt. A dark cloud of fury sent from an angry God to gnaw at our very being.
mmu1
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Jan 20 2006, 01:03 PM)
One thing to note is that most of the Shadowrun 4 proponents played SR3 for many many years, while many of the SR3 holdouts have given SR4 only a cursory look through. So you understandably see a lot more misrepresentation in pro-SR3 arguments than you do in pro-SR4 arguments. It's not that people like Kagetenshi are being deliberately deceitful, they simply don't know what they are talking about.

I can't generalize, but every SR3 "holodout" I personally know has put a hell of a lot more time into learning about SR4 before turning it down than all those who mindlessly jumped on the SR4 bandwagon just because it was new.

IIRC, you were in love with SR4 since the new SR4 forum came online, and virutally nothing was known about it, so do yourself a favor and STFU about the importance of knowing what you're talking about, because it sure as hell never stopped you...
blakkie
QUOTE (mmu1 @ Jan 20 2006, 11:52 AM)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Jan 20 2006, 01:03 PM)

I can't generalize, but every SR3 "holodout" I personally know has put a hell of a lot more time into learning about SR4 before turning it down than all those who mindlessly jumped on the SR4 bandwagon just because it was new.

IIRC, you were in love with SR4 since the new SR4 forum came online, and virutally nothing was known about it, so do yourself a favor and STFU about the importance of knowing what you're talking about, because it sure as hell never stopped you...

You DON'T remember correctly. He didn't darken our door till well after the SR4 forum started up. smile.gif

EDIT: In fact all you need to do to confirm that, before shooting off your mouth, is check out the creation date on his account. That's what, about a week after SR4 started selling at GenCon? wobble.gif
Adam
Don't turn this thread into another personal issues flame fest. Bring it back on the subject -- the game, not the people.
mfb
i don't think there's much new that can be said, re: SR3 v SR4. maybe once the next SR4 book comes out, there will be something to complain about/defend. at this point, the only variation in the arguments is how pissed off the parties involved are.
Nyxll
Personally, I find that I grow accustomed to whichever system I first started with is sr2 for me. there are some ideas that I like about sr3 and sr4 that I incorporate into the games, but I still find that I have an affinity for the familiar.

I find that sr4 doesn't really do anything better than sr3. I actually disagree with many of the genre concepts in sr4, and I really dislike the static target number. In the end you have to look at which approach you prefer. Variable target numbers or variable dice. Sr4 is quicker, but I find that SR3 is fast enough for me, since I can compute target numbers very quickly, and do not have to continually look up modifiers.

Perhaps Fanpro needs to write some "switch" articles, like apple for their marketing and us holdouts can write our own anti-switch propeganda.
mmu1
QUOTE (blakkie)
You DON'T remember correctly. He didn't darken our door till well after the SR4 forum started up. smile.gif

EDIT: In fact all you need to do to confirm that, before shooting off your mouth, is check out the creation date on his account. That's what, about a week after SR4 started selling at GenCon? wobble.gif

Sorry, he and you sort of run together sometimes. biggrin.gif
mfb
no way. i mostly like FrankTrollman, for all that he's a dirty, filthy SR4 player.
blakkie
QUOTE (mmu1)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Jan 20 2006, 01:59 PM)

EDIT: In fact all you need to do to confirm that, before shooting off your mouth, is check out the creation date on his account.  That's what, about a week after SR4 started selling at GenCon?  wobble.gif

Sorry, he and you sort of run together sometimes. biggrin.gif

Then you'd be doubly wrong with what you posted.
Mr.Platinum
Well I am a huge fan of all the flavour in The SR3 world.

The beef i have is with the matrix, it some times can take away from the other players but that issue has been solved in SR4 in my mind, they changed the system around and i'm still not sure if i like it yet, but i still need more play time with the sytem.

What I hope from sr4 is the continuitity of flavour they had in the 3rd ed system, either way i feel both systems are good, SR3 now has an old school feel to it since it's the old one now though.

Damn Destert Flame wars thread would of been awsome. I could of unleashed my true potential.
mintcar
I donīt think you need to have any great knowledge about either system to make your pick. They are that different. Itīs just a question of what you want to get out of your roleplaying, pure and simple.

Any bickering over details is pointless, because no amount of faults pointed out in either system will turn that systemīs followers (making this sound like a religious debate now smile.gif). If it was a question about which was better of two systems with a common goal, that might work but not as it is. And if you criticize your least favourite system for one of the reasons that counts (being; the kind of play it promotes) you will only end up offending someoneīs playstyle.

The topic of this thread is one we are unable to handle. What was asked for was essentially a simple pros/cons list, providing guidence in choosing what edition to pick. The only thing we can agree on here is that if you tried both—you liked one better than the other.
Mr.Platinum
QUOTE (mintcar)
I donīt think you need to have any great knowledge about either system to make your pick. They are that different. Itīs just a question of what you want to get out of your roleplaying, pure and simple.

Any bickering over details is pointless, because no amount of faults pointed out in either system will turn that systemīs followers (making this sound like a religious debate now smile.gif). If it was a question about which was better of two systems with a common goal, that might work but not as it is. And if you criticize your least favourite system for one of the reasons that counts (being; the kind of play it promotes) you will only end up offending someoneīs playstyle.

The topic of this thread is one we are unable to handle. What was asked for was essentially a simple pros/cons list, providing guidence in choosing what edition to pick. The only thing we can agree on here is that if you would have tried both—you would have liked one better than the other.

But we are all welcome to share our opinions on this forum, the person is just looking for genral opinions. smile.gif
mintcar
I donīt know how much you saw of the SR4 forum the time before and shortly after the release of the game. Iīm just causioning people with a bit of insight from that period smile.gif . It got real ugly.

Off course I got to say my part and fight my battles then. So did blakkie, Critias, Kage and mfb among others. Which might be a reason for their relative silence in this thread. So anyone who feels they still have something to say on the subject, donīt let me stop you smile.gif .
blakkie
QUOTE (mintcar)
I donīt know how much you saw of the SR4 forum the time before and shortly after the release of the game. Iīm just causioning people with a bit of insight from that period smile.gif . It got real ugly.

Off course I got to say my part and fight my battles then. So did blakkie, Critias, Kage and mfb among others. Which might be a reason for their relative silence in this thread. So anyone who feels they still have something to say on the subject, donīt let me stop you smile.gif .

The only parts i had missed were on reruns and halucingen enhanced mathmatic activities, so i'm all good now thanks. smile.gif
Critias
QUOTE (mintcar)

I wasn't being "silent" so much as "I actually did try to post a fairly helpfull and informative breakdown of the (generalized) differences between the two games, earlier in this thread."

Which I can understand as relative silence, though, don't get me wrong. There wasn't any, y'know, gunfire or burning buildings or anything, so it was an awful lot quieter than a normal discussion.
Wounded Ronin
Psch, everyone knows that rules streamlining is bad. The best RPG system I ever played was one written by my friend Matt which tried to be totally realistic and which literally required a laptop with C scripts written on it to handle all of the number crunching. It was righteously aweseome to have a GM using a computer to crunch all his numbers in order to model as best he could what happens when my character used spray and pray tactics with a MP5N.
Glyph
Honestly, although I prefer SR3, I think getting the new version would be better for someone starting to play Shadowrun for the first time. You only need to buy one book, and the rules are simpler. Plus, the SR4 book is a lot more self-contained than the SR3 one. It may not be all-inclusive, but it has enough of everything to start with. SR3 didn't have edges and flaws, commonly encountered critters, initiation, submersion, or bioware - you would need several books to get the equivalent of the basic SR4 rulebook (although they would be more comprehensive). With SR4, you just have to pick up one book with a relatively short learning curve, and you're ready to play.

I would only recommend SR3 if you have a good source for lots of the books, used, and if you are prepared to make an investment in both time and money to accumulate the books and learn all of the rules.
LaughingTiger
I just can't help but grin, remembering the "SR2 vs SR3" discussions.

I was on the SR3 side, and I remember reading and taking part in some arguments.

I think this will end up being the same way, eventually. Everyone will switch over to SR4, some will house rule things from 3 into 4 and the board will quiet down into the soft rumblings of grognards doing what they do best.

It seems almost everyone switches eventually, some just need more time than others.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (LaughingTiger)
It seems almost everyone switches eventually, some just need more time than others.

Key word being almost. To this day, you still get the ocasional old codger step out onto the internets from his cabin in the hills and wander onto dumpshock to post about the first edition SR game his group's been playing.
Critias
If they're havin' fun, who cares?
RunnerPaul
In an ideal world, no one.
LaughingTiger
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
In an ideal world, no one.

QFT
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Critias)
If they're havin' fun, who cares?

The god of math.
Snow_Fox
I haven't seen SR4 around here in local stores and I'm not laying out a sizable chunk of change for somethnig so many people have said they haver problems with. Yes decking in SR3 is still a problem. maybe even a worse one than in SR2 BUT I've noticed people who like SR4 have likened it to the VtM system. I've played that and enjoy the role playing but for a mechanical system it makes me bug nuts!
Kanati Synge
I would have to recommend SR4 as well. I find the faster gameplay due to the more streamline system extremely attractive. wink.gif
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
I haven't seen SR4 around here in local stores and I'm not laying out a sizable chunk of change for somethnig so many people have said they haver problems with. Yes decking in SR3 is still a problem. maybe even a worse one than in SR2 BUT I've noticed people who like SR4 have likened it to the VtM system. I've played that and enjoy the role playing but for a mechanical system it makes me bug nuts!

Comparisons to nWoD are inevitable. They came out at about the same time, they both use a skill + attribute base mechanic, and the standard dice methods of nWoD and SR4 both default to averaging 1/3 as many hits as you roll dice. That's about where the comparison ends, of course. nWoD repeatedly violates its own game mechanics (the more skilled you are, the more you'd rather be swinging an axe; no matter how tough you are, 20 kids with BB guns are going to drop you in one combat round), and SR4 does not.

The moral of that story is actually that if you were at all tempted to play Vampire, you'd go grab a copy of SR4 and use those game mechanics instead. They are close enough that you can port most things on the fly, but smoother and more balanced all around.

-Frank
Kanati Synge
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Jan 22 2006, 12:45 PM)
The moral of that story is actually that if you were at all tempted to play Vampire, you'd go grab a copy of SR4 and use those game mechanics instead. They are close enough that you can port most things on the fly, but smoother and more balanced all around.

-Frank

Hmm...

An option I had not considered before, running NWoD with SR4's mechanics. While I am not a partisan of Requiem or Awakening ( they each have merit, they're just not my cup of tea ), I am a 'Forsaken Fanatic' so I believe I will put your hypothesis to the test. Thanks Frank! wink.gif
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (mintcar)

The topic of this thread is one we are unable to handle. What was asked for was essentially a simple pros/cons list, providing guidence in choosing what edition to pick. The only thing we can agree on here is that if you tried both—you liked one better than the other.

Invitation accepted

I have made several points here and there in these debates, not to mention a few smart assed comments.

But I have not put my complete stance forward:

When I first heard about a new shadowrun edition I was jumping for joy, Edward from these forums knows me IRL so can confirm this.

When the FAQs started coming in I was shocked and horrified. The changes being made were completely rewriting the game, but was hopeful that the changes would be for the better.

There was a part of me that doubted, mostly because of the years of broken promises and strange game rules from Fanpro. (before anyone asks the first two to come to mind were the new geas rules and the rigger 3 vehicles rules rewrite. That and the cyberware compatibility changes.)

Those doubts were solidified when MFB retired as a playtester. On that day my one remaining hope was that the final main book would not make me physically ill

That hope was dashed when I read throug the main book.

Now, after going through it several times I have come to these conclusions:

1: SR4 is as much like SR3 as it is like NWOD
2: the system is full of holes that require GM attention, more so than even RIFTS
3: the system is faster than SR3
4: I will never run this system
5: If I play in it, I will be a hacker who remote in to help
6: It is now possible to ignore all old storylines from pre SOTA 63 book, as they will most likely be ignored in the new edition
7: it is far more tolerable if I pretend it is an elseworld and not shadowrun (kinda like cybergeneration)

Starfurie
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
Now, after going through it several times I have come to these conclusions:

2: the system is full of holes that require GM attention, more so than even RIFTS
6: It is now possible to ignore all old storylines from pre SOTA 63 book, as they will most likely be ignored in the new edition
7: it is far more tolerable if I pretend it is an elseworld and not shadowrun (kinda like cybergeneration)

#1 I disagree, it's more like NWOD than SR3.
#4 Agreed.
#5 I won't play. Period.
#6 I think this is intentional. After all, this is the New Shadowrun, not that old clunky system that spawned so mamy fans.
#7 Their biggest mistake was calling it Shadowrun. It's not and it never will be.

They changed a lot of things to attracted new players. I don't think they considered how many old players they'ld be alienating.
Brahm
QUOTE (Starfurie @ Jan 26 2006, 08:10 PM)
#7  Their biggest mistake was calling it Shadowrun.  It's not and it never will be.

They changed a lot of things to attracted new players.  I don't think they considered how many old players they'ld be alienating.

I am a SR player. I am old. I am not alienated. I am happy SR4 removed so many things that drove me nuts about playing SR3, but kept many of the things that make it SR for me.

It is like drinking Unicorn Giggles®.

I like to think they changed it just for me to keep me from going out and getting cancer playing Spycraft D20.
Catsnightmare
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)

1: either way I hate NWoD and New Shadowrun both.
2: agreed, I can balance Rifts better than the crap rules in New Shadowrun.
3: Not gonna bother trying it to find out.
4: Same here.
5: I won't play in it period
6: Another reason New SR pisses me off.
7: Well I have to agree with Starfurie on this one.
Kremlin KOA
Okay I should clarity my own #5 here

I will play said ahcker... or more likely hackadept, with the express purpose of showing up fastjack and breaking the GM so they will run something sensible and less silly... like toon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012