Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Using Riddle of Steel SA with SR4?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Horror

I'm going to start running SR4 within the next few weeks. I'm thinking of scrapping the SR4 system for earning Karma and using spiritual attributes from The Riddle of Steel instead. I'd pretty much use them exactly the same as they are used in TROS.

Does anybody think there would be a problem with doing that? Would it affect the game in unexpected ways?

The Horror
Azralon
QUOTE (The Horror @ Jan 17 2006, 01:04 PM)
Does anybody think there would be a problem with doing that?  Would it affect the game in unexpected ways?

I'm pretty sure these forums would become less useful to you.

The flavor text stuff would still be valid, of course, but you'd be using different core mechanics and the RAW balance discussions wouldn't apply so much to your stuff.
The Horror
QUOTE (Azralon)

The flavor text stuff would still be valid, of course, but you'd be using different core mechanics and the RAW balance discussions wouldn't apply so much to your stuff.

Well, the idea is to keep the core mechanics of SR4 completely unchanged. I'd just be adding in spiritual attributes onto the game as a means of incorporating character goals with character advancement.

In SR4 a character should typically earn 4-5 Karma points per session. In TROS a character should earn 4-5 spiritual attribute points per session. If I use them as Karma they should be ok for character advancement. I'm mainly worried about how use of spiritual attributes during the game would interact with Edge, and how it would interact with other rolls.
The Horror

Ok, I am convinced that this can work. I will have to remove the Edge attribute, but that is it.

Are there any huge problems associated with removing Edge from the game? I have not yet run SR4, so any pointers would be helpful.

The Horror
Jaid
well, a couple of edges/flaws will have to be removed.

there won't be any way for an uncybered human to get 2 IPs anymore, or to protect from glitches i think.

and it should make BPs go a little farther at chargen.

can't think of anything else though.
The Horror
Awesome. Absolutely fantastic.

I'll just allow players to permanently spend a point of the Luck spiritual attribute to gain one IP, to avoid a glitch, or to activate the Dead Man's Trigger rule. Spending Luck already allows for extra dice to be added to the roll. Spending it permanently also allows for automatic successes. So it should be fine. Absolutely perfect in fact.

Thanks for that.

The Horror
Space Ghost
Why remove edge in the first place? i suppose it conflicts with the Luck SA, but that doesn't mean you have to tear it out. Think of it this way:
Edge = Experience and adaptability
Luck = Self-explanatory

It depends, though. What kind of game are you running? i think the basic SR game (do runs for $) doesn't allow much use of the SAs. i believe my old TRoS character had Religion and the need to Protect his Family as his major SAs. Now, the only way to get better at anything (get karma) is to protect or avenge his family, spread his beliefs and smite the blasphemous. i'm wondering what a runner would have to take in order get any use out of SAs.

Maybe the drive to do damage to a particular corporation? The radical eco-shaman would be easy.

Anyway, if your game allows frequent use of SAs, then take Edge out, if not, i'd consider leaving it in.

So how would your SAs be paid for? Is there a BP cost?
The Horror
QUOTE (Space Ghost)
It depends, though. What kind of game are you running? i think the basic SR game (do runs for $) doesn't allow much use of the SAs. i believe my old TRoS character had Religion and the need to Protect his Family as his major SAs. Now, the only way to get better at anything (get karma) is to protect or avenge his family, spread his beliefs and smite the blasphemous. i'm wondering what a runner would have to take in order get any use out of SAs.   

Maybe the drive to do damage to a particular corporation? The radical eco-shaman would be easy.

Anyway, if your game allows frequent use of SAs, then take Edge out, if not, i'd consider leaving it in. 

So how would your SAs be paid for? Is there a BP cost?

I'm not going to charge any BP cost for them. Just like TROS, characters will start with 7 points allocated between a maximum of 5 SA.

As to what they will be, that I cannot say. It will be entirely up to the players. Maybe one of them will pick:

Destiny - to become the head of Lone Star Security
Luck
Drive - to clear his name in the eyes of the law
Passion - to seek vengeance on the corporate CEO who ruined his life
Faith - the law of the land

I have no idea what they will choose. They will have to do it together during character generation, in order to make sure their characters will all work well with each other. Their choice of SA will in turn determine what type of game I will be running, and what sorts of things they will be doing during those games. Will they be mostly shadowruns? That I cannot say. All depends on what the players want really.

The Horror
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012