Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weapon Modification question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kasheu
using a Ares predator III modified to fire burst fire, with high velocity capability, what would be the best combination to account for the 12 points of recoil on the 2nd burst?
Herald of Verjigorm
A: How did you manage that?

B: Vehicle turret.
Moon-Hawk
Easy. Just make up another rule. sarcastic.gif
Kasheu
thats just it i havent managed to compensate for all the recoil on that 2nd burst heh most i can come up with is 9. leaving 3 recoil that i cant find a way to prevent.

the whole idea behind it was to make a pistol like the ones used in Equilibrium but since HP's cant take a FA mod highest i could put on them was BF.
Herald of Verjigorm
3 round bursts with high initiative are enough to mimic that weapon, you don't need to go into HV mode.
Moon-Hawk
You can add high velocity capability to a handgun!?

Allright, allright, fine. Tell us how you got the first 9 points, so we don't suggest things you've already done.
Lindt
HV pistols? Sheesh. Just get a bloody Thunderbolt all ready.

And what you would be looking for is a machine pistol. FA/BF/SA right out of the box.
Kasheu
cant remember them all off hand but the main ones i can remember were gas vent, personalized grip and recoil comp (max recoil comp of 1)
Lindt
QUOTE (Kasheu @ Jan 18 2006, 12:15 PM)
cant remember them all off hand but the main ones i can remember were gas vent, personalized grip and recoil comp (max recoil comp of 1)

Well thats 6. You can get a removeable stock on one of the BF pistols from CC, so thats another one (Id allow it... and thats saying something). Your still 2 short. Which you might get with high strength. And add a cyber arm gyromount, (another 2, or is it 3?) And your really close.
Moon-Hawk
Cyberarm gyromount?
High strength?
****-job for the GM?

You realize you're the poster-child for why the firearm creation rules should be burned and remembered only in fireside horror stories, right?
Moon-Hawk
Okay, okay, I'm FINALLY going to post something constructive in this thread.
Try using a machine pistol if you want, y'know, a machine pistol.
Or better yet, use submachine gun, max out the concealability, and just say that it looks like a pistol.
Kasheu
QUOTE (Lindt)
QUOTE (Kasheu @ Jan 18 2006, 12:15 PM)

Well thats 6. You can get a removeable stock on one of the BF pistols from CC, so thats another one (Id allow it... and thats saying something). Your still 2 short. Which you might get with high strength. And add a cyber arm gyromount, (another 2, or is it 3?) And your really close.

cant really do anything cyber wise because of a few flaws i took plus im an adept
Moon-Hawk
Center to reduce penalties?
Kasheu
not initiate yet frown.gif
Lindt
# crunch.
Styer TMP 6L SA/BF/FA
Gas vent 4 (4)
Personalized grip (1)
Folding stock (1)
Cyberarm gyro (3)
Buff as troll (2)

Thats 11. Means you could lay out a... 6l..9m 12s 15d ... 16D burst with no recoil, fire a single shot the next pass, and take an aim action to make sure you hit on your 3rd pass with your 16D again, which will have no recoil.

Dont worry Moon, this is too easy =)
Moon-Hawk
Ummm, I don't have my books with me....
Underbarrel weight?
(I'm still waiting for someone to tell me if HV heavy-pistol is legal. I still think not.)
Lindt
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Underbarrel weight?
(I'm still waiting for someone to tell me if HV heavy-pistol is legal. I still think not.)

Pistols dont have under slots, and an HV pistol is right the Eff out. The only things have can even TAKE HV mods are... SMGs, Assult Rifles, and machineguns. Also note that having HV removes your barrel mount slot. So no gas vent for you.

And dont even THINK about trying the modifacation to FA bit, its only avil for machine pistols and SMGs.
Austere Emancipator
The pistols used in the movie are (highly modified) select-fire (safe-semi-full) Beretta Model 92s in 9x19mm. The closest thing in SR3 would be a Machine Pistol, not a Heavy Pistol. And, like people have been pointing out, a Machine Pistol will fit far better into this role anyway.

But like Moon-Hawk implied, if you're going to make up all kinds of rules just to create this way overpowered gun, then it's not a very big step to make up one more rule to make it recoilless. You'll have already shattered game balance, might as well stomp on the remains.
Lindt
I was about to say, I could have sworn they where 9mm anyway, which would have made them LP class, not HP class.

AH FTW.
Kasheu
wasnt making up any rules just wasnt aware hp's couldnt take HV mods

<edit> and i hadnt made the weapon was just thinking of ways to make it
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Kasheu)
wasnt making up any rules just wasnt aware hp's couldnt take HV mods

Okay. In that case, if you want to make these guns according to the rules, I'd suggest keeping a close eye on Available Design Options By Frame, page 76 of the Cannon Companion.
Lindt
*face palm* See you REALLY need to read the books better then. Its under the HV description.
Moon-Hawk
Kasheu, we don't mean to be mean. We're just bitter, having seen so many broken guns coming out of the firearm construction rules, plus you made a minor error that made the weapon WAY more broken.
I suggest you use Lindt's machine pistol example, get as much recoil compensation as you can, and if there's any recoil left over, just deal with it. Someday you can center it away. Or, if you want a little more punch, use a SMG, give it power +1, and very high concealability. It'll have 8M damage and the concealability of a heavy pistol; it's not a big stretch to say that it looks like one. Since it's a SMG, you could legally make it HV, but I'd suggest you skip it and use the barrel mount for recoil comp.
Nyxll
stick the thing on a gyro mount.

With all of the mods that you are sticking on the weapon you will not have any concealability, might as well run around with a sniper rifle.
Moon-Hawk
side note: Speaking of recoil and craziness, is there anything to stop a troll from laying down effective surpressive fire with two HVLMGs?
Kasheu
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Kasheu, we don't mean to be mean. We're just bitter, having seen so many broken guns coming out of the firearm construction rules, plus you made a minor error that made the weapon WAY more broken.
I suggest you use Lindt's machine pistol example, get as much recoil compensation as you can, and if there's any recoil left over, just deal with it. Someday you can center it away. Or, if you want a little more punch, use a SMG, give it power +1, and very high concealability. It'll have 8M damage and the concealability of a heavy pistol; it's not a big stretch to say that it looks like one. Since it's a SMG, you could legally make it HV, but I'd suggest you skip it and use the barrel mount for recoil comp.

understood was just hard to look up anything atm for sure without the books present so was just speculating in my head heh
Nyxll
A bullet to the head will usually stop them pretty well.
Siege
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Underbarrel weight?

The "underbarrel weight" is basically a brick tied to the muzzle of your weapon.

In theory, the added weight keeps your weapon from rising excessively due to recoil.

Of course, I imagine it would make aiming problematic as well, but that's a minor detail.

Just add a foregrip and be done with it.

-Siege
Pendaric
My dear ladies and gentelmen, though this thread is mostly resolved and perhapes this is anal of me, I have discovered due to a much previous singular oversight of my own that recoil is based on a per phase not a per turn measure.
In this case five points of compensation will suffice for two burst fire actions per phase and therefore fullauto above six rounds alone requires more.
I hope this contribution free's more time for character developement.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012