Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Never fudge a roll again, ever
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Wounded Ronin
Mmm, see, over the years I decided that fudging the rolls is a bad idea.

This is the way I see it: people spend hours making their characters, buying gear, picking magic and bioware. Each of these things has a statistical impact. Sometimes, you'll use that much more of your starting nuyen to get ballistic armor higher by 1 point, which has a specific statistical effect.

I kind of feel like if the GM fudges the roles, all that time put into character creation has gone to waste. If I prioritized getting a few more points of armor over having a faster reaction time, I should get the consequences of that. Statistically, I'm less likely to die from getting shot, but statistically I'll also get shot more often. Does that balance out? It's all in the stats, and the decisions of the player.

In other words, I feel like there's simply no point to using statistical rules so painstakingly to make our characters and shape our world if the GM will just disregard them whenever something goes wrong.

When making the character, I knew the odds of my getting one-shotted by a Predator were higher or lower, based on my design. If a bad guy gets lucky and rolls mucho successes on his Pistols roll, and all and all blasts my head off...well, that was unfortunate, but those were the rules. My character design failed at that point, for whatever reason, and it's time to make a new one.

But, it's all pointless if my character design that I put hours into didn't count in the first place.

See what I mean? Why should we even bother to have a combat mechanic if that combat mechanic is going to be waived in the even of a little bad luck?

I used to believe in fudging, but now I am a firm believer in letting the dice fall where they may.

In fact, I just had an idea. Usually, in the past, with new players I would do a sample run in which I would roll the dice, explain the outcomes, but have the players be immune to damage. I would say things like, "We're playing this for familizarization, so you're not taking any damage. But if this were a real game, that'd be a Serious wound, and you'd have gotten a +3 TN to all target numbers. It's important to use cover and conserve combat pool appropriately," and things like that.

But, in the interests of immersion, and in the philosophical interest of letting the dice fall where they may, how about this?

Start all the characters off in some kind of MILES training compound. There's wooden boards and scaffolds forming houses, there's bunkers, there's underground tunnels. The characters are either equipped with MILES weapons (no damage, but beeping noises indicating wound severity), or else with simunitions (gel rounds). I'm thinking about the "McKenna MOUT" level in America's Army (www.americasarmy.com). Hell, too add flavor, we could even add the graffiti to one of the walls that says, "you can't spell lost without Lt." Let the character have a few "scrimmage matches" with gel rounds and learn the combat system.

That would be totally immersive, totally letting the dice fall where they may, and very much just pure practice in the use of the combat engine.

Hell, just to represent the practice, a GM could be entirely justified in giving each participant in the MILES session a karma point for each "scrimage". That seems totally reasonable to me.

What do you think?

EDIT:

This was originally going to be a reply post here: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?act=...=7&t=2467&st=50

EDIT 2:

How about using paintballs? That could be both flavorful and instructive. Describe where the paintball hits based on the successes the shooter had after reductions from a dodge test, and describe the pain based on the actual amount of damage that would have been caused after staging.

So, in terms of the shooter's successes,

Light = hit in the hand or foot
Medium = hit on the arm or leg
Serious = hit center of mass
Deadly = hit on the face; "are those my balls on your eyes?"

In terms of pain,

Dosen't hurt = staged away
Faint sting = light
Healthy smack = medium
Extremely painful = serious
You almost pass out from the pain = deadly
The Stainless Steel Rat
I have also recently adopted the practice of open GM rolls, for much the same reasons you describe. Also due in large part to BitBashers Post linked in my sig:

QUOTE (BitBasher Nov 17 2003 @ 01:00 PM)
Now the real catalyst that changed things, besides us getting older, was in my opinion the dice rolls. We went from the GM hiding the dice behind a screen and telling you what happened, to the GM never hiding a dice roll, and never, ever altering them in any way. Period.

This started as an experiment and had a few unintentional side effects. If the GM can hide the dice rolls then the NPC's really don't have to follow the same rules as the PC's and the PC's know that. Conversely, if all the rolls are open and concrete, the GM cannot save them, their choices are final. Their consequences are absolute. This leads to players knowing that their characters mortality is real, and not able to be saved by GM fiat. They choose their fights carefully, they treat each victory as a victory. They feel their accomplishemnts are now things they accomplished, not just something handed to them on a platter because the GM said so and allowed the rolls to fall in their favor.

I cannot stress enough how much this canges the way the game feels. When someone knows that a bad roll can kill them, they take measures to make sure they don't have to make any unnecessary rolls. They protect themselves. They stop doing action movie maneuvers. They start treating their chacacters like real people, because like real people they are now mortal without some fate or luck protecting them. They know when to cut their losses and run. They turn down runs that seem too good to be true.

As a GM this made my life somewhat more difficult until I became a good judge of what screwed the PC's and what didn't. I still used NPC's bu they had to be more real, because I couldn't save them, they had to save themselves. The main NPC's stopped using direct confrontation. They knew they could die. If the PC's whacked a major player then so be it. The consequences fell where they may and the world went on. The game had to be much more freeform. There were no 5 year plans and events than needed to happen. Now there were NPC's with goals and motives, and PC's with actions and consequences, all this came together and the world unfolded in real time, more like a living breathing world full of real people and less like a plot waiting to happen. There were no more story signposts, thinking of cool events. No more undefeatable bad guys or good guys.

After playing this way for a few years we had a GM come and run a game for us, a good GM, but he fudged his dice rolls for story. It was a good story, and it was the kind of story we used to play, but we couldn't do that anymore. It all seemed forced. We knew the villain cheated to survive, so our eventual victory was shallow and forced, as we know that was also handed to us and not earned. Story for the sake of story IMHO is no better than dice rolls for the sake of dice rolls.

The decisions are made, the dice fall, the consequences are roleplayed. As soon as I read this post I understood that this was the kind of roleplaying I needed to be a part of, and have been breaking in my players ever since. My group are all fairly experienced roleplayers though, and they have a good grasp of the rules, as well as my interpretation of the 6th world. I think that these things are nessesary to make this kind of leap. The game will be more deadly, and everyone has to be prepared for that too.

The only thing I use my GM screen for now is table reference.

End the Tyranny of the GM screen! Free and Open dice rolls for all!
Kozbot
I like the GM screen because I like keeping my players in suspense, I don't want them to know wether the person hiding from them rolled better of it there really isn't a person there. I like the decker not knowing if he found all the IC or not, if they see my really awesome roll then their crappy one they'll know there's stuff there, they just can't find it.

As for fudging rolls, I guess if SR is primarily a combat simulation for your group then fudging would be the worst thing possible. On the flip side for me it sucks to go "Well that random ganger just blew the brains out of that character who you'd written a 10 page backstory, maybe you should work the statistics better on what keeps people alive and less on why they run the shadows".

As the GM I can give the NPCs a pistol skill of whatever I want, he can be good enough to shoot you in the eye from a mile away or unable to hit you if the barrel is against your forehead, I decide if he's got APDS, or whatever. When it really comes down to it your stats really don't matter, no matter how well you design your character I can instantly create a NPCs that's you +1 so you lose. *shrugs* That's just my 2 nuyen.gif
Aku
i try to do both. In cases where the PCs know what is being rolled, roll it in the open, but for things that they wouldnt know (op[posed stealth tests, things like that) then go ahead and hide it. Or, roll dice at any old odd time, and jot the results down, and occosionally pick from them.
IAmMarauder
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Jan 22 2006, 10:15 PM)
But, in the interests of immersion, and in the philosophical interest of letting the dice fall where they may, how about this?

Start all the characters off in some kind of MILES training compound.  There's wooden boards and scaffolds forming houses, there's bunkers, there's underground tunnels.  The characters are either equipped with MILES weapons (no damage, but beeping noises indicating wound severity), or else with simunitions (gel rounds).  I'm thinking about the "McKenna MOUT" level in America's Army (www.americasarmy.com).  Hell, too add flavor, we could even add the graffiti to one of the walls that says, "you can't spell lost without Lt."  Let the character have a few "scrimmage matches" with gel rounds and learn the combat system.

That would be totally immersive, totally letting the dice fall where they may, and very much just pure practice in the use of the combat engine.

Hell, just to represent the practice, a GM could be entirely justified in giving each participant in the MILES session a karma point for each "scrimage".  That seems totally reasonable to me.

I love this idea, and was planning something similar. It was more along the lines of a trainer taking them through a VirtualSim of some of the past events in the SR Universe (starting at 4th Ed, but would love for them to take a trip through the Arc as it was under Deus). If it is a Sim, then the characters may "die" online, but be OK in "real life". They can analyse their tactics, and try again. This will allow them to try stuff out, suffer the effects and learn from their mistakes. The bonus Karma is a great idea, gives them a chance to prop up areas their character lacks. It also has the benefit that you can give them different scenarios of the same type, so they can get used to a variety of conditions (eg "Today is all about B&E. First up, we are going to try a warehouse, then progress through a Lone Star Station, a corp facility and finish it off with a Deus/Arc run"). just have to remember to modify the events so that there is some randomness. Imagine their face when they go around the corner expecting 2 blues, only to meet a gaggle of spiders with a medusae or two devil.gif

*EDIT* Just had an thought about this; you can do this before they create their actual characters... Let them pick archetypes, and have only a certain amount allowed (determined by the teacher if you want)... Can also use it to explain the different concepts one at a time (similar to a tutorial found in many PC Games). I think I will use this idea.

For runners, this training could be provided by Assets Inc, for Security Guards or Military players it could be run by the respective employers...
The Stainless Steel Rat
QUOTE (Kozbot)
As for fudging rolls, I guess if SR is primarily a combat simulation for your group then fudging would be the worst thing possible.  On the flip side for me it sucks to go "Well that random ganger just blew the brains out of that character who you'd written a 10 page backstory, maybe you should work the statistics better on what keeps people alive and less on why they run the shadows".

I instead think that it doesn't suck. Just solemnly say:

"You wrote 10 pages of backstory, and tonight we wrote the end. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti, Amen."

The other option is to take away the threat of the opposition. You take away his teeth, and he is just Random Ganger #12. "Why should I worry about Random Ganger #12?" asks your player, "He may wound me, but in the end I am impervious to his attacks because I have written backstory. He is an NPC, and by definition inferior to me."

The solution? Do your best not to get shot by gangers, because a lucky shot can kill you. When you enter into a firefight, you may die - and the GM may not can't save you. Except for the hand of God. Once.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (IAmMarauder)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Jan 22 2006, 10:15 PM)

Start all the characters off in some kind of MILES training compound.  There's wooden boards and scaffolds forming houses, there's bunkers, there's underground tunnels.  The characters are either equipped with MILES weapons (no damage, but beeping noises indicating wound severity), or else with simunitions (gel rounds).  I'm thinking about the "McKenna MOUT" level in America's Army (www.americasarmy.com).  Hell, too add flavor, we could even add the graffiti to one of the walls that says, "you can't spell lost without Lt."  Let the character have a few "scrimmage matches" with gel rounds and learn the combat system.

Hell, just to represent the practice, a GM could be entirely justified in giving each participant in the MILES session a karma point for each "scrimage".  That seems totally reasonable to me.

I love this idea, and was planning something similar. It was more along the lines of a trainer taking them through a VirtualSim of some of the past events in the SR Universe (starting at 4th Ed, but would love for them to take a trip through the Arc as it was under Deus). If it is a Sim, then the characters may "die" online, but be OK in "real life". They can analyse their tactics, and try again. This will allow them to try stuff out, suffer the effects and learn from their mistakes. The bonus Karma is a great idea, gives them a chance to prop up areas their character lacks. It also has the benefit that you can give them different scenarios of the same type, so they can get used to a variety of conditions (eg "Today is all about B&E. First up, we are going to try a warehouse, then progress through a Lone Star Station, a corp facility and finish it off with a Deus/Arc run"). just have to remember to modify the events so that there is some randomness. Imagine their face when they go around the corner expecting 2 blues, only to meet a gaggle of spiders with a medusae or two devil.gif

*EDIT* Just had an thought about this; you can do this before they create their actual characters... Let them pick archetypes, and have only a certain amount allowed (determined by the teacher if you want)... Can also use it to explain the different concepts one at a time (similar to a tutorial found in many PC Games). I think I will use this idea.

For runners, this training could be provided by Assets Inc, for Security Guards or Military players it could be run by the respective employers...

That's an awesome idea. Very sci-fi "futuristic", too. I love it!
Kozbot
QUOTE (The Stainless Steel Rat)
I instead think that it doesn't suck. Just solemnly say:

"You wrote 10 pages of backstory, and tonight we wrote the end. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti, Amen."

The other option is to take away the threat of the opposition. You take away his teeth, and he is just Random Ganger #12. "Why should I worry about Random Ganger #12?" asks your player, "He may wound me, but in the end I am impervious to his attacks because I have written backstory. He is an NPC, and by definition inferior to me."

The solution? Do your best not to get shot by gangers, because a lucky shot can kill you. When you enter into a firefight, you may die - and the GM may not can't save you. Except for the hand of God. Once.

Then remind the player to right anouther 10 page back story for the next session?

My PCs are by no means impervious and the gangers are far from random, however I won't have players for long if I go "Gee sorry man, seems as if that warning shot caught you in the brain pan, better luck next time and you'd better work harder and making a tougher character"

When my PCs go into a Z zone unless they're armed to the teeth and look menacing as hell they're going to be shot at. Those shots will eventually kill them as there are essentially infinite numbers of NPCs with which to shoot an infinite number of bullets.

The GM can provoke a firefight whenever he feels like it and if he wants to right bigger numbers he can ensure that the PCs will die. As GM I deside how big a hammer I'm swinging at my PCs going "Well I guess the dice killed you" can be a cop out as it's the GM that decided that the PCs were going to get ambushed.

Maybe I'm missing your point but I've played for GMs that would regularly hit you with 14D aimed shot at your head because you left a few hairs at a run you did. I've played in many campaigns where you don't do character creation, you do regiment creation because you're going to go threw at least 2 PCs a session.

I'm not arguing for PCs to be immortal by any stretch but every ganger IS just Random Ganger #whatever, and the GM can throw them at you till your dead if he feels so.
Dog
I like this idea, but it does leave the potential for the PC's to fall victim to an error in planning on the GM's part. Letting luck have its say is one thing, but it'll just cause resentment if the GM can't admit when he's put the runners into an effectively unsurvivable situation.

What about keeping target numbers a secret still? Really, whether or not the GM screen is there, it's about the GM being honest with himself.

Outside of combat, success and failure really relies on the group (or the GM, I guess) to interpret the rolls, so it makes sense.
Clyde
Another thing to remember is that you need a fair amount of over damage in order to die. It's hard to just take this unless you keep fighting after taking so nasty wounds - so really the 10 page backstory guy just needs to learn to back down and try another angle once he's racked up 6 boxes. SR isn't D&D - it's not the end of the world if you lose a firefight or two.
nick012000
Except that the nice man with the assault rifle can throw out 20D damage (8M base, +2 Power EXEX, 10-round burst).
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (nick012000)
Except that the nice man with the assault rifle can throw out 20D damage (8M base, +2 Power EXEX, 10-round burst).

If you take a D wound, don't you just drop straight and then get considered 'not a target', which is prime time for the mage to drop a heal on you?

It's the three guys who each unload 10M wounds on you that you need to worry about.
Liper
I like the screen because I roll like the god I am.

my friends have always commented on this, but in sr3, I could take a random punk with a predator and take out a troll in millspec body armour. (exxageration but it's the point)

that holy shit look at them 6s is common when I'm rolling dice, why punish the players because I have all the karrma?
Nidhogg
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
QUOTE (nick012000 @ Jan 23 2006, 12:50 AM)

If you take a D wound, don't you just drop straight and then get considered 'not a target', which is prime time for the mage to drop a heal on you?

It's the three guys who each unload 10M wounds on you that you need to worry about.

Except that staging 20D down is absurdly difficult, so the attack will almost assuredly overflow from the attacker's net successes. While a troll sammie would probably survive with an interesting story to tell, a decker, rigger, or face would, in all likelyhood end up as a crimson smear on the sidewalk.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Nidhogg @ Jan 23 2006, 01:23 AM)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Jan 23 2006, 12:00 AM)
QUOTE (nick012000 @ Jan 23 2006, 12:50 AM)

Except that staging 20D down is absurdly difficult, so the attack will almost assuredly overflow from the attacker's net successes. While a troll sammie would probably survive with an interesting story to tell, a decker, rigger, or face would, in all likelyhood end up as a crimson smear on the sidewalk.

Oooooh. Right.....

2097. The next generation of Shadowrunners is sitting at the knees of an aged troll with an ancient cyberarm. The troll is speaking.

"And there we were. Jimmie, god bless his loyal if psychotic soul, had just decapitated two of the sec-guards in one swing. Athena, our decker, had double-tapped the third, and I hauled back. Doggone if I didn't punch the fourth guard clear into the Seventh World."

He takes a slow, mock swing with his non-cyber arm, and the kids around him giggle playfully, murmering about how 'grandpa Slick's really strong.

"But, there was a problem. There was a fifth security guard. I didn't know it at the time, but we'd just eliminated all of his buddies, and I'd personally cleaned the clock of his very own brother. Worse, what I didn't know is that he used to be an Ares Firewatch agent, had gotten all the money he wanted doing that, then took a low-pay, low-risk job to watch out for his little brother. His little brother that I'd just whalloped. Well, the bolt on his rifle went ca-chink! by itself, and he shouldered it. Doggone if that sumgun didn't put at least ten rounds into me, and he wasen't firing civilian loads, too!"

The aged troll pulls back his cardigan, revealing a line of old scars running up the side attached to his cyberarm. The children gasp in horror - and there's only three scars.

"Yep. And that's how grandpa slick lost his right arm."

The children go abuzz, tittering around rampaging security guards and the trolls who're tough enough to survive them.
mintcar
If I´ve had my players make characters according to the rules, and the sentiment is that we will be playing by the rules, I will go to great lengths not to fudge rolls, even if I keep them hidden. I like to have a bit of unpredictability in my game. How rolls are resolved on the other hand, can be a rather improvised matter in my game. Players will mostly follow the rules, but for NPCs I´ll make up how the rolls are resolved if I can´t remember or if the canon way takes too long.
toturi
I keep hidden rolls that the book says to hide. Otherwise it is all open.
Pendaric
As far as rolling the dice as a Ref, ST, Ctr, DM, GM, SM, S&M, SOB whatever you call the person in charge of the plot/world.
My take is, "chance favours the prepared mind."

From open dice to Ref whim free form.

Edit: Am inform I need to make this clearer by my friends, "so that there is at least a signpost to my meaning." (thank you so much my players).

So as a ref in control of everything bar the characters conscious thoughts and choices, prepare extensively so nothing that the Ref controls will/can surprise you, probability included.
That leaves only the PC's choices (with obligatory curve ball) and anomalios dice rolling, fortuitous or desastrous. With only these things a ref can build in redundacy and maintain the stance of benevolant tyrant enforcing the rules, harsh but fair (mostly harsh).
One notable individual stated,"It's called ref fudge because a little is nice and a lot is bad for you." grinbig.gif
Kagetenshi
I'm a big fan of hidden rolls. I am not a big fan of changing the results of those rolls, no matter the end being sought.

~J
eidolon
QUOTE (Clyde)
Another thing to remember is that you need a fair amount of over damage in order to die. It's hard to just take this unless you keep fighting after taking so nasty wounds -

Tell that to "Johnny". A physad being played in my game right now with decent body and pretty damn good armor, he took a shotgun blast to the chest, which gave him a light wound and knocked him to the ground (botched the knockdown test). However, this light wound was enough to drop his initiative down below the guy that shot him. BLAM again. Three seconds, deadly wound, down for the count.

so really the 10 page backstory guy just needs to learn to back down and try another angle once he's racked up 6 boxes. SR isn't D&D - it's not the end of the world if you lose a firefight or two.

Okay, now I'm sure you're kidding. SR is so much deadlier than D&D in my experience. Especially at later "levels", when your D&D fighter is a total damage soaking tank, and your 250 karma character can still be taken out by a shotgun-toting Forever Tacoma ork. biggrin.gif
The Stainless Steel Rat
QUOTE (Kozbot)
QUOTE (The Stainless Steel Rat @ Jan 22 2006, 08:04 PM)

Then remind the player to right anouther 10 page back story for the next session?

Yep. Sometimes life is a bitch. Death more so.
QUOTE (Kozbot)
My PCs are by no means impervious and the gangers are far from random, however I won't have players for long if I go "Gee sorry man, seems as if that warning shot caught you in the brain pan, better luck next time and you'd better work harder and making a tougher character"

Warning shot?!? Typically if a character is trying to miss I'll just let them, but that's just me. If instead the NPC was shooting at the PC, then everyone has to concede that a potentially fatal headshot is a very real possibility. See my earlier post regarding not getting shot.
QUOTE (Kozbot)
The GM can provoke a firefight whenever he feels like it and if he wants to right bigger numbers he can ensure that the PCs will die. As GM I deside how big a hammer I'm swinging at my PCs going "Well I guess the dice killed you" can be a cop out as it's the GM that decided that the PCs were going to get ambushed.

That's Metagaming. Don't put up with it from your players, and expect more from yourself. Keep NPC knowledge seperate and distinct from GM knowledge, and have NPCs react in a realistic way depending on the information available to them along with their own motivations and self interests.
QUOTE (Kozbot)
I've played for GMs that would regularly hit you with 14D aimed shot at your head because you left a few hairs at a run you did.

I'll admit I might do that... it would depend on the run they did, and whether or not such retaliation was justfied and realistic in my mind. I can say this though, it wouldn't be very freaking often.
QUOTE (Kozbot)
...every ganger IS just Random Ganger #whatever...

No. Absolutely. Fucking. NO! Every NPC is a person with a childhood, family, friends. Fears and desires and ambitions. He has a story, whether your PCs have learned it or not. Even if the GM doesn't quite know what it is, it's there. It's your job as GM to make everybody believe that it's there. It's called immersion, and it makes or breaks a game in my opinion.
Liper
treating the world like every person is fodder unless you created them a prime runner is stupid, it's now what SR is.

SR isn't about making SRs gods amongst men.

It's about Sharks in a very large ocean of smaller fish, patrolled by bigger sharks, fishermen and any other sorted thing that makes you small in the end despite however many fish you eat on the way.

Kagetenshi
QUOTE (eidolon)
QUOTE (Clyde)
Another thing to remember is that you need a fair amount of over damage in order to die. It's hard to just take this unless you keep fighting after taking so nasty wounds -

Tell that to "Johnny". A physad being played in my game right now with decent body and pretty damn good armor, he took a shotgun blast to the chest, which gave him a light wound and knocked him to the ground (botched the knockdown test). However, this light wound was enough to drop his initiative down below the guy that shot him. BLAM again. Three seconds, deadly wound, down for the count.

Ok. You didn't say what you consider to be "decent Body", so let's say 4. He now has 12 seconds for someone to get to him and start applying first aid.

Your point?

~J
Cain
Okay, you all are forgetting the number one rule. This is a game, and we're here to have fun.

Now, I don't know about you, but personally I don't find it to be fun to be taken down due to a few bad dice rolls. If a PC fails an athletics test while climbing to the second story, I'm probably not going to let him die from falling damage, even if he botches his soak roll.

What's more, in combat, I've discovered that causing serious+ wounds is more likely to teach players to be careful. If you just kill off PC's, they think that the game system was responsible, and respond by heavier munchkinism. OTOH, if you hit them with 9 boxes of damage, they're more apt to realize that their own tactics got them into this mess. A close brush with death can be a more effective teacher than killing the PC outright.

No. Absolutely. Fucking. NO! Every NPC is a person with a childhood, family, friends. Fears and desires and ambitions. He has a story, whether your PCs have learned it or not. Even if the GM doesn't quite know what it is, it's there. It's your job as GM to make everybody believe that it's there. It's called immersion, and it makes or breaks a game in my opinion.

I don't think so. You can have a very immersive game without even approaching that level of detail. Mood music, props, good descriptions; the list goes on and on. There's lots of very immersive books and movies out there that don't even come close to that level of detail. Heck, I used to LARP a lot, and the game was highly immersive without even going into detail on most NPCs.
eidolon
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jan 25 2006, 11:59 PM)
QUOTE (eidolon @ Jan 25 2006, 09:21 PM)
QUOTE (Clyde)

Ok. You didn't say what you consider to be "decent Body", so let's say 4. He now has 12 seconds for someone to get to him and start applying first aid.

Your point?

~J

My point being that it really isn't that hard to take that much damage. At all. The way Clyde had it, it sounds as though characters would rarely find themselves in a situation in which they will take a D to the face. I find that it isn't that rare, and it can happen at just about any time. I also find that it happens more often when a GM doesn't fudge any of the rolls. (there, I tied it back into the thread)

Also, 12 seconds is a pretty short time when none of your buddies are within say, five miles of your bleeding body, and the only people that are around are too busy stealing your credstick to bother slapping on a trauma patch.

That would be my point, in a nutshell.
Crystalmonkey
Okay, you all are forgetting the number one rule. This is a game, and we're here to have fun.

True.

Now, I don't know about you, but personally I don't find it to be fun to be taken down due to a few bad dice rolls. If a PC fails an athletics test while climbing to the second story, I'm probably not going to let him die from falling damage, even if he botches his soak roll.

This seems more like the GM feeling sorry for the player/trying not to be seen as a bad person. Sometimes, life hands you lemons, and ignoring that ruins the flavor.

What's more, in combat, I've discovered that causing serious+ wounds is more likely to teach players to be careful. If you just kill off PC's, they think that the game system was responsible, and respond by heavier munchkinism. OTOH, if you hit them with 9 boxes of damage, they're more apt to realize that their own tactics got them into this mess. A close brush with death can be a more effective teacher than killing the PC outright.

If I walk into a room, and I am killing by an ambush, my first thought is NOT going to be "Well, I should just stay at home." It would probably be along the lines of "I really should scout ahead more often..."

I was not, and am still not, happy with the fact that if you somehow manage to roll, I think it's 3, 3 20's in D&D, you can kill whatever you are fighting, but the situation isn't quite the same in SR.

As far as I know, there isn't an "insta-kill" where if you roll a certain combination, you can take down a dragon. We have guns, and unless you are in a TANK, or POWER ARMOR, there is a chance a lucky shot could nail you in the face. It's possible, and to ignore that possibility is to take the "fun" out of the game.

I don't think so. You can have a very immersive game without even approaching that level of detail. Mood music, props, good descriptions; the list goes on and on. There's lots of very immersive books and movies out there that don't even come close to that level of detail. Heck, I used to LARP a lot, and the game was highly immersive without even going into detail on most NPCs.

It's not that you have to write out a history for the NPC, just that you have to TREAT the NPC as an actual person. Treating him as "Generic Guard #3" takes something away from the game, in a sense bringing it down to the level of an FPS.

Edit: Given that every combat round is about 3 seconds, 12 seconds is a good amount of time.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (eidolon @ Jan 26 2006, 01:09 AM)
My point being that it really isn't that hard to take that much damage.  At all.  The way Clyde had it, it sounds as though characters would rarely find themselves in a situation in which they will take a D to the face.  I find that it isn't that rare, and it can happen at just about any time.  I also find that it happens more often when a GM doesn't fudge any of the rolls.  (there, I tied it back into the thread)

Unless I misunderstood, the way Clyde had it the characters will rarely find themselves in a position where, say, a Body 4 character takes 14 boxes to the face. Now, it can certainly happen (L+M+D is one combination where no individual stage is horribly injured but at the end a Body 4 character is flat-out dead), but I've only seen it a handful of times (and only once, IIRC, for PCs.)
Also, 12 seconds is a pretty short time when none of your buddies are within say, five miles of your bleeding body, and the only people that are around are too busy stealing your credstick to bother slapping on a trauma patch.

Absolutely. Fifteen minutes is also a pretty short time in that case.

~J
eidolon
We just read his post with different experiences. No harm no foul.

For anyone that wants to continue on the "12 seconds is a long time" track:

Mental exercise: Find a clock with a second hand. Count out twelve seconds, while doing your best to imagine how you'd feel if you were that close to death. Not "bleeding another box". Dying.

Sometimes I think people start focusing too much on how long it takes to play out a combat turn in RL, and forget how short that combat turn really is in the game world.
Kagetenshi
What you're saying is true, but if you focus too much on how short an amount of time that is in real life, you lose track of how long it is in Shadowrun. Twelve seconds. That's…

I'm an idiot. He doesn't even bleed out in twelve seconds. He bleeds one box in twelve seconds, and all three of his remaining boxes in thirty-six seconds. I meant twelve combat turns.

But yeah. For Shadowrunners, twelve seconds is a long time. For a pretty typical group that is about eight Complex Actions right there. For the group I'm currently in, it's more like twelve. The combat will probably be over long before the character is dead, unless someone takes another shot at him.

~J
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Cain)

See, I would argue that the character in question was doing something very risky that someone wouldn't consider doing in real life, i.e. climbing to a very high height without adequete safety gear (rock climbing equipment, a spotter, whatever). Risks can work out, or blow up in your face. In that case the character would have been committing to a very big risk because of the height involved, and the risk blew up in his face. Why is it more fun if we eliminate the risk, instead of going with the decisions the character made and playing them out? If the character were deathly afraid of dying, maybe instead of relying on just an Athletics roll he would have brought rock climbing equipment and gave himself some spikes and ropes to "catch" him if he started to fall.

So, by preventing the consequences from a big risk, you're still sort of invalidating the choices the character made. You're making the decision to take a big risk not a real decision to make a big risk. You'd be making all risks have the same basic degree of risk, and the character therefore lives in some kind of GM protective bubble la la land.

Moving on to the next point, Eidolon wrote:

I don't really understand what's wrong with that. Even if you were John Mullins, and someone hit you with a solid shotgun slug in the armor and knocked you down, and then stood over you and put another solid shotgun slug in you, shouldn't you be ready to push up daisies? I mean, I'd argue that it would start to get asinine if you weren't in a very bad way after that. Isn't it *good* that shotgun coup de grace makes you die?

eidolon
@ Kage: Meh, we both knew what you meant. wink.gif

As to how long it is, it's still a matter of whether you're in nicely divided three second combat turns, surrounded by several friendlies, or if you're in a dark alleyway, watching the guy that capped you walk away with your credstick and sunglasses. biggrin.gif

@ WR: There's nothing at all wrong with it. Yes, it is good. You missed the point of contention. I think.
Maltaltin
Every roll we make is out in the open and we like it that way ti makes sure that no one is bluffing or cheathing in any way shape or form to save themself or kill some monster in a cool way. This does have its drawbacks when it comes to deadly confrontations but that is the way the SR universe is
Faenor
I admit; I used to fudge rolls, and my other GMs did as well. Now that I've grown more experienced, I appreciate the fact that sometimes, things just don't go as planned. My GM told me our current shadowrun game would be "as it lies" no matter what. And since he brought this up front, there was no surprises.

two examples: in a Star Wars D20 game, our GM literally rolled more 1s than any other number on attack rolls that night. And it made the game rediculously easy that session. But we also realized that it was luck, and that's a large factor in our practically wound free session.

In another example, in Shadowrun of all places, we had an elven Street Samurai literally destroy half our group in one combat turn. The samurai killed four combatants in one full turn; two of them during the same phase. Poor rolls on the player's part, and damned good rolls on the GM's part. I was one of the first two die in that melee.

So be it. It swings both ways. And I know firsthand that your super powerful NPC that you've worked months on as the final climactic battle dies due to a lucky shot is the more frustrating thing in the world. But PCs can also be dropped the same way; the above Tacoma Forever Ork? he's in the situation that you were when fighting said ultimate NPC. How do you think he felt when he dropped you with the lucky shot?

I've noticed that this play style has overflowed into other games I've played. No longer do I have the mentality of "I've got 100 hit points! That ork can only deal 1d8, and I'm the hero! No way I'll lose"

Instead, if ANY kind of battle or firefight goes down in shadowrun, my first action is to find cover if at all feasible. THEN I begin the fight. Admittedly if no cover is around I'll adapt, but that's the exception and not the rule.

My fellow players call me a coward, but then are surprised when I'm the one not rolling up a new character every five or six sessions. Because, when your character dies, you should view that as a learning experience, and be thankful that it's not real life where you wouldn't have a second chance like this.

Fight smarter, not harder.

Okay, I'll shut up now.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Faenor @ Jan 27 2006, 07:14 PM)

I've noticed that this play style has overflowed into other games I've played.  No longer do I have the mentality of "I've got 100 hit points!  That ork can only deal 1d8, and I'm the hero!  No way I'll lose"

Instead, if ANY kind of battle or firefight goes down in shadowrun, my first action is to find cover if at all feasible.  THEN I begin the fight.  Admittedly if no cover is around I'll adapt, but that's the exception and not the rule.

My fellow players call me a coward, but then are surprised when I'm the one not rolling up a new character every five or six sessions.  Because, when your character dies, you should view that as a learning experience, and be thankful that it's not real life where you wouldn't have a second chance like this. 

Fight smarter, not harder.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

More than one person has said something like this on the thread.

Notice that the no-fudging, dice fall as they may style of game play promotes, gasp, *realistic* behavior on the part of the PCs!

Now, even from a role-playing perspective, isn't that a good thing? If the characters behave in ways that real people would behave when their lives are threatened, isn't that an accomplishment in the character development/realism department?

I just don't understand how some people can say that non-fudging or high deadliness is "bad for roleplaying" when in fact it seems quite the opposite, that these conditions help the characters act like real people and not like capricious demigods.

EDIT:

Let me clarify. I would argue that playing a character who acts like the Big Man On The Block, or is supposed to be some kind of badass, is utterly meaningless *unless* there is a realistic threat of defeat or death.

If my character is supposed to be a very courageous and tough character, he or she can exhibit these qualities in the face of adversity and danger. Indeed, it is precisely comportment in the face of adversity and danger which determines whether or not an indivdual is brave and tough or not.

But, if the character is not really in danger due to 200 hit points, or 7 points of ballistic armor plus 15 karma dice vs. unaugmented pistol wielding guys, I would argue that it is impossible for the character to act in any sort of truly courageous way, and it is also impossible for the character to truly act in what would be considered a "bad ass" manner.

Very simply, the absence of great danger leaves nothing for heroic qualities to establish themselves on.

If a character with 7 points of ballistic armor and 15 karma dice makes snarky Caleb-like comments while killing the 5th street unaugmented light pistolier gang, that character is ultimately just being a bully. On the other hand, if a character with 3s across the board and a Walther Palm Pistol stands up to the same gang in order to, say, let his family escape while he dies 2 rounds later, that would be a truly heroic and brave act because of the great risk and sacrifice involved in his actions.

See what I'm saying? As a player, if the encounters, situations, and challenges aren't deadly, my character is *unable* to be heroic. At best, my character can be a capricious or nihilistic bully, nothing more.

But, regardless of how powerful or weak my character is, if I have the chance to face great risk and great danger, and overcome it through superior tactics, or at least help out my teammates through an act of sacrifice, that is how I may truly realize the heroic character.

I utterly reject the idea that PCs need some kind of safe sandbox to play in lest their character development be cut short by some bad rolls. I maintain, on the contrary, that without the constant challenge and risk there is no real character development.
TinkerGnome
I don't fall into the "all dice as they fall" or the "fudge everything" camps. I generally will fudge die rolls to keep PCs alive if their situation is largely my doing. If the PCs are at fault for their situation (choosing to shoot their way into a facility, not bothering to talk with the gangers, etc.) then how the dice fall is how they are read.

I often use a screen IRL, but mainly to keep my notes hidden. Die rolls being hidden is a secondary concern and mainly only to keep NPC statistics invisible.
Glyph
I really, really don't like messing with the dice rolls. A GM has so many other options, as far as adjusting things on the fly. I can understand the temptation, though, to want to keep a well-developed character alive. On the other hand, that is kind of arbitrary (i.e. deciding who gets a break... and who doesn't). It can become favoritism if you're not careful. And it does create a game that has less of a sense of real danger.

I have less empathy for GMs who will fudge dice rolls to keep a "recurring villain" alive. I consider that cheating just as much as a player intentionally neglecting to fill in a box of damage. And again, the GM has so many other options - including the HOG rule - to keep a villain alive. If a villain surviving is vital to the plot, then reexamine the plot, and try to tweak it so that it is not so linear. If anything, the main villain dying earlier than expected can create an interesting ripple effect. Former subordinates vying for control, a squad of suicidal assassins that only the boss knew how to contact, a rival crime boss taking the opportunity to move into the power vacuum, etc.
Kozbot
I do fudge some die rolls yet my players have always been intelligent and sought cover and done their best to avoid fire fights. I don't make my players immortal but I don't want them to go down like puds. I understand the never fudge crowd, I just choose to disagree.

Neither I nor my players play shadowrun to figure out what's better, anouther point of ballistic or anouther reaction, we're more in it for the story. If it fits the flow of the game that a PC goes down (like they decided to throw down with some of the uber-drones in the arcology) so be it. But personally I would have thought Gladiator would have sucked if Maximus had gotten taken out by a random arrow when he was charging the barbarians in the first battle. Now you guys may take that as a way to teach the PCs to carry a shield, and that's cool.

For me if I'm in a game where my character is getting killed every other session or so (and I've been in plenty of those games) I'd rather spend my time playing paintball, halo, or currently Battlefield 2, and my PCs agree. If you're having fun playing your way have at it. I can see the appeal, I just get tired of making dozens of PCs due to bad luck or the GM sending us up against guys toting LMGs with APDS all the time.
nezumi
I will admit I fudge rolls, however I think I have good reasons for it.

I'm currently running two games. The first is made up almost completely of newbies, none of whom had ever heard of SR before six months ago (it's online, so slow posting rate), most of whom still have never touched an SR book. They're learning the ropes. They have no idea how things are supposed to work. So my intention is not so much to run a 'by the skin of your teeth' game, but a game where each run teaches them how to fine tune their skills for future adventures. As such, I think a little lee-way to either keep them alive (but smarting!) after a tumble or to put them in more... 'educational' positions are worth while. That doesn't mean I'll protect them from certain stupidity, just that they have a little more leeway to play in.

The other game is of professionals. As I said, I run games online. Waiting on dice rolls sucks, so I do them all myself. Generally I leave them where they lie, but I will fudge if I feel it adds to the drama. For instance, in melee combat, I won't let the fight go on for eight rounds, I'll push things so it finishes up in four. I think it's more exciting than waiting around. Silly rolls I gloss over (okay, roll to break into the blue-4 system...) And when a chance of one die might shift the adventure in a much more exciting direction, with some consideration, I do it (for either side. I always forget NPC karma pool, so I guess it's fair in that regard). But again, my focus isn't on combat, but on story, so the rolling is rarely very important.
Cain
See, I would argue that the character in question was doing something very risky that someone wouldn't consider doing in real life, i.e. climbing to a very high height without adequete safety gear (rock climbing equipment, a spotter, whatever). Risks can work out, or blow up in your face. In that case the character would have been committing to a very big risk because of the height involved, and the risk blew up in his face. Why is it more fun if we eliminate the risk, instead of going with the decisions the character made and playing them out? If the character were deathly afraid of dying, maybe instead of relying on just an Athletics roll he would have brought rock climbing equipment and gave himself some spikes and ropes to "catch" him if he started to fall.

We're not talking "a great height", we're talking about a climb to the second story. Since all falls are (meters)D damage, it's possible to kill yourself by tripping over a curb. I think that's overkill, definitely not much fun, and deserves to be fudged on if it happens.

In any event, a critical failure can also mean that your safety gear failed. If I went by strict dice rolls, the character would be dead, no matter what safety measures he took. With one fudged die roll, however, instead he can be at a Serious, dangling over a precipice. Simply killing the character ends the game-- and the fun-- for that player. Instead, we can add drama and tension by fudging a roll and bending a rule. In my mind, drama and tension and fun beats out boredom, hands down.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Cain @ Feb 1 2006, 02:06 PM)
We're not talking "a great height", we're talking about a climb to the second story.  Since all falls are (meters)D damage, it's possible to kill yourself by tripping over a curb.  I think that's overkill, definitely not much fun, and deserves to be fudged on if it happens.

I agree that that's overkill. Fortunately, so does SR3: p46 of Shadowrun Companion states that a 21 meter fall is the minimum distance that will do D damage. A five-meter fall will do at most M.

In an amazing moment of organization, the cutoff points for damage levels are nearly to the SR3 main book method for determining the damage of a collision—speed is replaced with distance and divided by 10.

~J
Aku
We're not talking "a great height", we're talking about a climb to the second story. Since all falls are (meters)D damage, it's possible to kill yourself by tripping over a curb. I think that's overkill, definitely not much fun, and deserves to be fudged on if it happens.

Thats one hella bug curb if you can even mange to get anything close to even 1D, so hey, theres an idea! anything less than 2 meters, barring special circumstances, no damage from the fall!

Special circumstances being like landing directly on your head, even at 6 feet, i'm not sure if that would neccessarily kill you.
Kagetenshi
By canon, a one-meter fall is 1L. Fairly realistic—people who are unlucky or particularly vulnerable can indeed be injured, if not seriously, by such a fall. A two-meter fall, of course, is an even deadlier 2L!

~J
PBTHHHHT
Recently there was a guy who hit his head on the sidewalk and went into a coma, he was in a fight and get knocked down, but it was the hitting the sidewalk that really did it. This happened a few weeks ago in DC, in the adams morgan area. Treat that as you may, but some people sometimes just can get seriously hurt even from a fall that's really close, and hitting one's head on a curb can be serious.

edit: Aye, agree with Kage. All the people gotta do is botch their resistance to damage. voila. you have something that can simulate somewhat with real life... I guess.
brennanhawkwood
QUOTE (Kozbot)
I do fudge some die rolls yet my players have always been intelligent and sought cover and done their best to avoid fire fights.  I don't make my players immortal but I don't want them to go down like puds.  I understand the never fudge crowd, I just choose to disagree.

Neither I nor my players play shadowrun to figure out what's better, anouther point of ballistic or anouther reaction, we're more in it for the story.  If it fits the flow of the game that a PC goes down (like they decided to throw down with some of the uber-drones in the arcology) so be it.  But personally I would have thought Gladiator would have sucked if Maximus had gotten taken out by a random arrow when he was charging the barbarians in the first battle.  Now you guys may take that as a way to teach the PCs to carry a shield, and that's cool.

For me if I'm in a game where my character is getting killed every other session or so (and I've been in plenty of those games) I'd rather spend my time playing paintball, halo, or currently Battlefield 2, and my PCs agree.  If you're having fun playing your way have at it.  I can see the appeal, I just get tired of making dozens of PCs due to bad luck or the GM sending us up against guys toting LMGs with APDS all the time.

I have to admit that I fall about where Kozbot is on this issue. I respect GMs who don't ever mess with the dice and think that can be an interesting style of play, but it just doesn't work for me and my players. I don't often fudge die rolls, in fact I am far more likely to leave them be then not, but with a gaming group that just doesn't meet that often, I am not going to let one fluke of bad luck ruin a character or a situation which we are having fun with. If we played more often it might be a different story, the players would have a chance to cycle through characters that died on a more frequent basis.
Wounded Ronin
Re curbs, I think it is worth pointing out that even very short falls can injure someone, leading to a fractured bone in the wrist or hand. Even if you don't like the falling damage, the logical thing is not to arbitrarily fudge it every time it comes up, but rather to do some research and rewrite the rules so they're more rational.
Brahm
Someone I know broke their collar bone walking the dog. They were standing and the dog took off in another direction tripping the person with the leash. When they fell with their feet held together by the leash, and then only had one arm to brace the fall because the other was trapped in the leash handle. They stiff-armed the ground and the collar bone snapped.
nezumi
My grand dad fell and had a heart attack.

Or maybe it was the other way around.
Cain
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Re curbs, I think it is worth pointing out that even very short falls can injure someone, leading to a fractured bone in the wrist or hand. Even if you don't like the falling damage, the logical thing is not to arbitrarily fudge it every time it comes up, but rather to do some research and rewrite the rules so they're more rational.

That's basically what I do. No matter what the dice say, I'm not going to hand out an instant death result because of a bad roll. I'll punish player stupidity, but bad luck is another thing entirely. I can create a much more entertaining game by using bad rolls to add to the player's fun, instead of ending it.
Shrapnel
I personally feel that bad rolls which result in a character's death add to the game. The same goes for NPCs.

For instance, people in real life die all the time, right? Perhaps they failed their driving test, and hit a tree. Or perhaps they failed the perception test needed to notice that their house was on fire, and died of carbon monoxide poisoning. Or they might have failed their damage roll after tripping and falling, and hitting their head on a curb.

Think about all the people you hear about in real life, who die from things far more simple, or more stupid.

Death happens, sometimes unexpectedly. Deal with it.
Cain
So do colds. When was the last time you afflicted a PC with the flu?

Shadowrun characters aren't normal people. They're meant to be larger than life. Heck, what fun is it to play a guy who leads a boring, mundane, everyday life? That doesn't mean that PC's deserve to have a special glow, but they do get to be in the spotlight.

The goal of a game is to have fun. Constantly rolling up characters due to bad luck is not fun, at least in my experience.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012