Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it possible?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Angelstandings
I'm trying to stick to RAW (Rules As Written) as much as possible, but we all know they don't cover everything (especially in SR4 with the lack of additional rulebooks), and here's something that I know I've been wondering about:

Can someone hack into another character's sim rig/module and force them into VR?

And a related question: When someone enters VR, what node do they start in?
nick012000
Sure, but they'll need to break into their commlink first.
Cold-Dragon
To force someone into VR, you'd have to somehow have control of their mental state of mind to an extent, however, you could certainly try to kick it in since it's a function of the commlink, that person is simply able to perceive outside VR, an 'flip the switch' on the commlink to get of that pesky problem with a dump shock.

and yeah, gotta hack the commlink. You'd start in your commlink of course, after that something'd have to force you to surf. Not sure that's the easiest thing around, lol.
Cang
and a TM would start in his head as the "node" correct?
BlackHat
IMHO, you couldn't force the person INTO VR... but you could do some other interesting things... like turn on the RAS override, which would paralyze them (until they mentally turn it back off, costing an action). If you messed with their accounts first, that might not be so easy, also - like attaching a data bomb to the RAS Override switch (I think you can do that, anyways) or changing their passcode and forcing them to hack back into their own system first.

If their sim module is modified for hot sim (and come on, whose isn't?) you could flip that switch, putting a cold-sim user into hot-sim, when he didn't intend to be. Not ALL that useful unless the person is prone to matrix addiction, or you're about to blast him with blackout or black hammer or something.

BUt yeah, I think the person still has to WANT to be in VR. At the very worst, it's a free action for them to log out again.
Rick Deckard
This Shadowrun Universe isn't "Ghost in the Shell," yet, unless you go as far as cybermancy. You can't hack someones ghost yet....I hope

RD
Cold-Dragon
It looks like you can't force-sim someone unless they're already hooked up fully for it, even then they have several options to get right back out unless you somehow get them into a prison of a VR world.

That said, make sure you check your jacks and node paste and so on before wandering out where hackers can get ya, lol. In a twist of things, can you just shut off a person who is going VR and force them into a dumpshock from that act alone??? (obviously not so simple with a technomancer).
Brahm
Black IC locks people into VR to the point that they must attempt to force their own logout or take dumpshock getting out the crude way. So VR isn't entirely vouluntary. The way I read it in VR you can by force of will see the meat world, but you remain in VR.

The book doesn't explain how you get into VR, but DNI seems the obvious activation method. Unless I missed it, it doesn't even mention definatively that you can switch between hot and cold or even the while you are in VR. I don't recall it even saying that you can switch the RAS Override while in VR. Specifics like this were likely left to Unwired. So it is mostly open to the GM right now.

I would allow both pushing into VR and switching hot-cold, and RAS Override, if the Hacker modified his commlink to allow automated switching instead of just a physical switch because hot-cold and RAS Override are both custom modifications.

But without using Black IC someone who is pushed in and remains conscious could choose to come right back out. It wouldn't be hacking the person. It would requiring access to their commlink and from there activating the SIM module to work with their datajack or trodenet.
Cold-Dragon
hot and cold simming requires alterations to the hardware providing the simming, you can't, to my knowledge, do it on the fly or through the net. it's a mechanical thing.

as for as 'hotwiring' the RAS (I use it figuratively now) I'm not sure you can do that when you sim, but then again, if it's similar to BTL mechanics, it could be done in theory. the simming might not work with the feature off though - failsafe are still used even in 2070(ish).
Brahm
QUOTE (Cold-Dragon)
hot and cold simming requires alterations to the hardware providing the simming, you can't, to my knowledge, do it on the fly or through the net. it's a mechanical thing.

You could use the equivalent to a relay to choose which circuit path was in use. The original legal cold one or the hot one. So it could be a feature chosen for inclusion or exclusion by the person doing the hardware modification. Switching while in VR becomes much more dicey, and that is where it is currently up to the GM whether they will allow the signal level limits to be removed while you are in VR. Since I envision the limiting circuitry only in effect when it is needed, I envision being able to remove the limits on the fly.

RAS Override a similar thing.

You or your GM might see it differently. Which is ok too, the rules just don't say one way or another right now.
Cold-Dragon
huh, that is true when I think about it, certainly a possibility.

From here, I believe it's purely a storyteller approval. part of the 'flare' of SR is flexibility in some acts. This is certainly one of them.

But I still wouldn't make it easy, since it would be the paranoia of commlinkers through the world then.

Kinda like materializing a spirit in someone's car during heavy traffic for, recreational, reminders to pay their mob bosses.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Cold-Dragon)

as for as 'hotwiring' the RAS (I use it figuratively now) I'm not sure you can do that when you sim, but then again, if it's similar to BTL mechanics, it could be done in theory. the simming might not work with the feature off though - failsafe are still used even in 2070(ish).

while i dont have the book, the older rules allowed for switching to cold mode if you had a asist interface that was hot enabled. basicly going hot is just a matter of removing the (aparently) hardware based limiters on the VR signals. after that, its all a matter of having a software "volume" control attached to them.

in SR3 a old trick was to drop into cold when you detected that a black ice was inbound. while it did cost your some initative, atleast it would not cost you your life.

as for flipping the RAS toggle while in VR (or having it flipped while in AR), i have no clue at all.

i guess that all discussion boils down to a lack of page count. basicly there is to small a space in the book to cover all the specifics of the change to wireless and the AR/VR combo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012