Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 in French
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Skarn Ka
Hey guys,

Since I'm sure you all speak and read French and are overly interested in what's going on with the French SR line, here's some news grinbig.gif :

- From www.blackbookeditions.fr (that's the publisher)

That's official, we'll be publishing the French version of Shadowrun, 4th Edition!
Orks, trolls and cyber fireballs to be unleashed in April.

- From www.shadowrun.fr (that's us)

"Ombres Portées", the crew in charge of SR4's translation into French, is hosting a special page and forums on www.shadowrun.fr to get feedback from the French-speaking crowd.
If you're interested in giving your opinion on the translation (and provided you speak French), drop by and join the fest!
Ancient History
Tres bon.
Dog
Thanks. I have a recently relocated Quebecois player with a lot of SR experience. I will pass this on to him; he may be able to contribute.
Oracle
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Tres bon.

You mean "Très bon.", don't you? grinbig.gif
Ancient History
No one likes a picky francophone.
Grinder
And even less the ones from germany wink.gif
fistandantilus4.0
yay! I actually read french (more or less)! Now all I need is for them to put out more of those dandy source books that 'no one in the US will want' that has world spanning effects, and will never be translated *cough*Shockwellen*cough*, but this time in French!

"Give us SR in French, or we will surrender!"
eidolon
Has anyone ever translated Shockwellen into English?

If it were in Chinese, I'd have a fair chance of doing it myself, but my German is...mostly nonexistant.
Oracle
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 23 2006, 02:22 PM)
No one likes a picky francophone.

My french teachers at school never saw me as a francophone. biggrin.gif

I don't think Schockwellen is worth translating. It isn't a necessary book after all.
Synner
Black Book Editions has wrangled the license for French SR4 books so it is unlikely that they would publish older stuff (were it an economically interesting venture in the first place). However, they are working closely with FanPro D and there might be some surprises down the line.
Grinder
QUOTE (Synner)
Black Book Editions has wrangled the license for French SR4 books so it is unlikely that they would publish older stuff (were it an economically interesting venture in the first place).

Don't be sure about that. Games-In bought the licence for Earthdawn of FASA and they're only translating the old stuff - and even that at an awful slow rate...
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Synner @ Jan 26 2006, 10:48 AM)
Black Book Editions has wrangled the license for French SR4 books so it is unlikely that they would publish older stuff (were it an economically interesting venture in the first place).

Don't be sure about that. Games-In bought the licence for Earthdawn of FASA and they're only translating the old stuff - and even that at an awful slow rate...

Red Brick Games is doing that. Or maybe they're differnet corps over here.

As for Shockwellen, I keep meaning to, but I never seem to coordinate that whole time/money/remembering thing. But Penta offered to help, and I have a friend down in Texas that speaks fluent German. So if someone wants to buy it and make a group effort....
Grinder
RedBrick has the english licence and Games-In the german one (tey're allowed to translate the old stuff into german and even write new books on german).

I've only seen two successful attempts to translate a whole sourcebook within a forum.
fistandantilus4.0
yeah? got a web address on one of those by any chance buddy?
Grinder
Bug City: http://www.fanpro.com/forum.001/viewtopic.php?t=14058 It needs to be upated to SR4, but the translation is complete.

Shadows Of North America a completly translated PDF: http://www.fanpro.com/sr/film/Nordamerika_...en_Schatten.zip

Both works had been done with permission of FanPro and using the FanPro-forums.
Adam
There are actually two companies doing Earthdawn: Living Room Games is doing 2nd Edition, and Red Brick is doing Earthdawn Classic and also releasing ebooks of the old FASA products.
Grinder
RedBrick will also release new books. The first one is an adventure called "Ardenyans Revenge".

LRG has been really quite over the last month and they even pushed back the relase date of "dangerous goods" several times. Seems as if they had been doing bad, finance/sales-wise.
Skarn Ka
QUOTE (eidolon)
Has anyone ever translated Shockwellen into English?

I did actually translate the last chapter into English, that sums up the whole campaign.

There were some plans to put that up as web fodder at some point, but I guess now this is no longer an option.

I should have that somewhere on my hard drive - I can't guarantee the quality, it's raw, it hasn't been proofread or edited, but the meat's there.

If you want a copy drop me a line - and if I'm breaking any rules here please Adam let me know.

Synner
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Synner @ Jan 26 2006, 10:48 AM)

Don't be sure about that.

I think I can be reasonably sure of what I'm saying. I actually spoke to the Black Book Editions reps back when things were being negotiated. I assume they might have an interest in System Failure but that's as far back at they intended to go.
Grinder
After re-reading my posting i'm sorry for it. It was meant in a completly different way. sorry.
Skarn Ka

Possibly SoE too, for obvious reasons.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Grinder)
Bug City: http://www.fanpro.com/forum.001/viewtopic.php?t=14058 It needs to be upated to SR4, but the translation is complete.

Shadows Of North America a completly translated PDF: http://www.fanpro.com/sr/film/Nordamerika_...en_Schatten.zip

Both works had been done with permission of FanPro and using the FanPro-forums.

yeah, but I have those two. I was hoping for a Shockwaves translation
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012