Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question on illusion invisibility
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
juzzman
While i'm here i might as well ask these ones too.

If a player character uses invisibility spell, does everyone in range get an automatic will save to resist, or do they only get a save if they become aware that there may be something there invisible.

Also, it says that the illusion can effect anyone within the casters line of site. Does that mean the caster has to chose who will be affected, and has to be aware of them? ie if there is a hidden sniper on the roof of a building 100m away that the caster is not aware of, if he casts invisibility does he become invisible to that sniper?

Thirdly, if you are observing someone casting invisibility through one way glass (where you can see them but they cant see you), will they become invisible to you? Technically you are not in their line of sight, since there is a barrier to sight seperating you from them.

To me it suggests that everyone who can see (and can possibly be seen) by the caster comes under the effect of the invisibility spell, and must make a resistance test when making an attempt to see him.

Your thoughts?

Juzzman
Pendaric
Ah easy to get confused on this point. The line of sight rule pertain on whom you can cast the spell on but once cast on an individual, as an indirect illusion, once it is in effect that person/s are invisible full stop.

If the spellcaster wants to target someone else that they can see, that person resists being turned invisible, if they fall no one can see them using light based senses for as long as the spell is sustained.
juzzman
Good point. Line of site is for where the caster targets the invis spell. But it kinda makes invisibility extremely powerfull, since it is mind affecting(mana based), it appears to affect every mind on the planet???

Also, at what point does the observers Willpower resistance test come up though (p195)?

Sorry to seem stupid on this one, but i cant believe that a force 1 spell can be used to make a target totally invisible to everyone with no way to see through it.(cloaks of improved invis all round?)

Juzzman
Brahm
QUOTE (juzzman @ Jan 26 2006, 05:18 PM)
Sorry to seem stupid on this one, but i cant believe that a force 1 spell can be used to make a target totally invisible to everyone with no way to see through it.(cloaks of improved invis all round?)

Many people share your view, which is why Invisibility is likely the most often house ruled spell in SR3. This issue occurs to a lesser extent with some other spells.

SR4 mostly fixed this issue by having the number of Spellcasting hits is limited by the Force, so Force 1 Invisibility is usually appropriately ineffective in SR4. Coupled with requiring 3 or 4 hits to overcome Object Resistance, casting Force 1 Improved Invisibility in SR4 is a total waste of a Complex Action.
Pendaric
It seems to be too good to be true but I do like to hit PC's with low Force sustained spells with dispelling. You don't necessarily need a magician there either.
(I like to do this to Levitate especially.)
A water guard elemental with the right orders, in this illusion spells example, can leave the PC's suddenly facing down bad odd out in the open.
Also there is a host of equipment and cyberware that solves some of these problems.
The aim is to remain realistic, I had an invisible PC so nearly blown away because the NPC was shooting at a different PC behind the invisible one.

At the end of the day magic is, well, that powerful. Which is why awaken people are so sort after to negate your enemies advantage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012