Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC recognition
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
entropysoda
OK, as a hacker on a remote host, say it sends IC after me, and I spot the IC. Can I simply use a knowledge skill(IC) as a free action to tell what kind of IC it is?

Or do I have to perform an Analyze operation, or what?
stevebugge
I think that's a GM call. As I understand it the types of IC detailed are more like classes of IC, not actual brands. SO while functionally Trace N' Dump is Trace N' Dump whether it was authored by PCC, MCT, Renraku, or Novatech/Neonet as far as actual look and feel they could be very different from each other, and of course there are sculpting options etc. I would go with an Analyze requirement, unless the GM for some reason determines that you have run up against this exact program (identical brand, version, and configuration) before and have a chance of recognizing it from memory.
Backgammon
Well, it can be hard to tell what kind of program is after you just from the icon. Sure, if you see a 20 foot tall mech bristling with weapons, you can assume that's an attack program. But say a small glowing orb starts floating around you...

A flexible GM might let you roll a Knowledge skill on that, because "You know all stock MCT trace IC are small glowing orbs". But that could play nasty tricks on you since someone could have reconfigured their Black IC to look like the stock MCT trace IC, just to be mean...

An Analyse operation, on the other hand, will always be correct.

So assuming your GM allows you to roll Knowledge (oh and to clarify, it's not an official rule, so you can only do that if your GM agrees you can), it's still risky.
Magus
I could not find any descriptions of IC like in SR3 ie trace ic pychotropic ice tarbaby etc etc. Anyone, can you help me out?
stevebugge
QUOTE (Magus)
I could not find any descriptions of IC like in SR3 ie trace ic pychotropic ice tarbaby etc etc. Anyone, can you help me out?

I think that may have been because they wanted to treat IC as an agent running a program. So lethal Black IC would be a Rating X agent loaded with a Blackhammer Program.
Magus
So what would a Trace IC/AGENT be an Agent running a track/sniffer program?
eek.gif
September
Yeah, but with ridiculous super-processors behind it.
fistandantilus4.0
there have been some examples in the novels. For example, in the newest one, Born to Run, the decker recognizes some IC as "Ares standard Cerecrus ICE" , and already knows how to deal with it. So sure, on some of the lower level hosts, this could work. More secure stuff is going to be different, less of the generics
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012