Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grenade scatter
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Space Ghost
1st problem
Okay, so the description of an airburst link (p.310) says it reduces scatter from 3D6 to 1D6. It mentions nothing about -meters per success.
Page 145 says the same thing, and goes on to say that grenade launchers are -4 meters per success.
But the table on p 145 says airburst grenades go to 1D6 with -1 meter per success.

Is the table wrong, or the text? It seems that 3D6 -4 per success would be a lot better than 1D6 -1 per. i know that the real reason to get airburst is for the immediate explosion, but still. Preferably, the table is wrong and an airburst gets 1D6 -4 per success. Which means you will always be sacrificing at least one success when you use grenades, but rarely more.

2nd problem
i'm having difficulty wrapping my head around the "targeting a spot on the ground" rules. It's treated as a success test, but that means that anyone who does get caught in the blast doesn't get their reaction roll to defend with. And since targeting a spot can also bypass pesky modifiers like enemy cover, is there ever a reason to aim directly at a person?
warrior_allanon
QUOTE (Space Ghost)
1st problem
Okay, so the description of an airburst link (p.310) says it reduces scatter from 3D6 to 1D6. It mentions nothing about -meters per success.
Page 145 says the same thing, and goes on to say that grenade launchers are -4 meters per success.
But the table on p 145 says airburst grenades go to 1D6 with -1 meter per success.

Is the table wrong, or the text? It seems that 3D6 -4 per success would be a lot better than 1D6 -1 per. i know that the real reason to get airburst is for the immediate explosion, but still. Preferably, the table is wrong and an airburst gets 1D6 -4 per success. Which means you will always be sacrificing at least one success when you use grenades, but rarely more.

2nd problem
i'm having difficulty wrapping my head around the "targeting a spot on the ground" rules. It's treated as a success test, but that means that anyone who does get caught in the blast doesn't get their reaction roll to defend with. And since targeting a spot can also bypass pesky modifiers like enemy cover, is there ever a reason to aim directly at a person?

i would say its probably a typo in the text because successes have always been 1mps. also the 1mps is a little better due to the fact that your looking at a maximum of 6m. where against a 3D6 scatter your looking at a maximum of 18m.

hitting the exact person your shooting a grenade at gives you that nice thing we like to call the "chunky salsa" effect. This effect is the ground zero of your blast radius and also gives you that nice phsychological effect of splattering your opponants with their friends
Cold-Dragon
Let's not forget good ole symtec stickies that you can play wherever on a person with a slap - arm, leg, crotch, then you show them the trigger switch in your hand, and see what happens!

and if they shoot anyways, you know at least one of them is giving you a 'hand' with it all.
Space Ghost
QUOTE (warrior_allanon)
i would say its probably a typo in the text because successes have always been 1mps. also the 1mps is a little better due to the fact that your looking at a maximum of 6m. where against a 3D6 scatter your looking at a maximum of 18m.

i'm not sure you understand. We know that a grenade launcher has 3D6 with -4 per success. Those stats appear in the text and on the table. We also know for a fact that airburst reduce the scatter to 1D6, but the text and the table are conflicted as to the -1 or -4.
Cold-Dragon
Sensibly speaking, the missile is a 1d6 -1 per success. It's stupid to put a -4 on something like that.

Have fun, and don't even think of sticking an RFID bullseye on me! wink.gif lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012