Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No doubt you've seen this trailer already, but..
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
Big Brother, near-future dystopia, high technology, guns and swords and vampires.

Ultraviolet.

It does not appear to promise high cerebral value, but if it manages to stay fairly internally consistant and maintains the high style and action I might bring myself to forgive it that.
hyzmarca
Isn't this a remake of a British miniseries?
emo samurai
Yeah, it would be Shadowrun, if you removed all the skill and stat caps and made a phys adept with about 500 levels of initiation.

And is the whole "fighting with your lips puckered" thing taken from Battle Angel Alita?
Tziluthi
It's looks like another bad copy of the Matrix. But this one is such a rip off, it's almost like it's making fun of itself.
hyzmarca
Why is it that every Hong Kong styled action movie that Hollywood puts out is eventually accused of being a rip off of The Matrix?
Ophis
I do have to wonder (along with) Hyzmarca if this has anything to do with the British series ultraviolet, which was also about vampires and was very techie. Though the wooden bullets where a bit silly.
emo samurai
Why is it that every Hong Kong styled action movie that Hollywood puts out is eventually accused of being a rip off of The Matrix?

There's the whole issue of a song from the Matrix being in the trailer.
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Battle Angel Alita

I've never understood why they had to ruin that title like that. Gun Dream was so much better. Gally was better than Alita, too.
mintcar
Looks pretty slick. But these kinds of braindead fantasy/sf movies with female leads fighting in slow motion are raining on us nowadays. I don't know if I can take it anymore. We need more sf thrillers like Strange Days. It's no master piece, but it's way more akin to Shadowrun than this kind of spectacle can ever be.
Brahm
The Matador is more like Shadowrun than many of those movies, and it doesn't get any more high tech or futuristic than the cheesy postmodern ambiance lighting in the Mexican hotel bar.

[ Spoiler ]
hyzmarca
A little checking shows that this was written and directed by Kurt Wimmer of Equilibrium and that Milla Jovovich uses a refined version of gunkata. There is some speculation that this may be a sequel or prequel to Equilibrium despite the former movie's lack of vampires.
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
I feel like I should issue a disclaimer to the effect that I merely think this is a slick-looking movie with a style and setting that might appeal to some people on the SR boards. I'm not trying to say, "OMG THIS IS TOTALLY LIKE MY SR GAMES" because it really isn't. I just think it's neat-looking.
nick012000
So...

If they think Missy-infected-by-a-virus ain't human, I'm left wondering how they'd react to your run-of-the-mill street sam.
eidolon
Just saw The Matador, and I agree with Brahm.

Also: fantastic movie, I recommend it highly. If you ever thought Pierce Brosnan was a single-faceted actor, prepare to be disabused of that notion.

Further and for the record: Any movie with Milla Jovavich is worth seeing multiple times, regardless of genre, plot, silliness, or crappy-neoprene-monster-suit-in-place-of-some-decent-CGI-or-just-plain-
old-special-effects-mojo.
nick012000
I'm left wondering why the soldier's armor is shattering like glass when struck by an improvised club.
Critias
Because she's hardcore, and it's cool. Just ask the guy in charge of their special effects budget. Duh.
CeaDawg
Ceramic Armor? Their changing the armor on the M-1s because of ultrasonic resonance issues degrading it's armor -- similar effect to the soldiers' in the trailer.
SL James
Because this movie's from the same guy who brought us Equilibrium.
eidolon
I like Equilibrium. I'll probably at least moderately enjoy Ultraviolet.

MMmmmmmmillajovavich.....
SL James
I'm not saying Equilibrium is the cinematic equivalent of liquid shit (not like, say, the Matrix movies). I'm just saying both come from the same brain.
emo samurai
"Are you mental?" I've watched too much "The Prisoner" and Joss Whedon in general to think that's a good line. And the attempts at drama. And "worthy of extermination;" now they're just trying TOO fucking hard.
Tanka
It'll be a good action flick, if nothing else.

Plus, Mila is hot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012