Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic Fingers & Killeing hands
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
stevebugge
So last night our group was working out a combat, and the Mystic Adept needing to hit a target at some range casts magic fingers to attempt to make an attack, then asks "Do I get to use killing hands through magic fingers?" Seeing as it was already 45 minutes past our anticipated end time the GM just said "It does tonight" and we went with it in the interest of not being Zombies in the office today. However when thinking further about this combo it is A. Not Possible or B. Very Broken. My vote is going with option A. Anyone else got a take on this?
nick012000
By the RAW, it looks like he could, though keep in mind that the Agility for the attacks will be equal to the hits on the Spellcasting+Magic test, the damage equal to hits/2, he'll have a -2 penalty on the attack test, and he'll have to spend 1 Complex Action casting the spell, and another to attack with it.

So, yes, he could, but he's better off throwing off a manabolt, detonating enemy grenades with the Magic Fingers, or just shooting the sod with one of his pistols.
Angelstandings
pg. , Magic Fingers

... The caster can fight, pick a lock, or perform any other
action, using the magic fingers as if they were real hands...

If you read that as: "as if they were his hands" then yes. I don't read it that way, but my opinion isn't worth a lot at your gaming table biggrin.gif

In atleast one of the previous editions there was a remote killing hands adept power, particularly silly when combined with the adept power that delayed damage up to 24 hours iirc.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Angelstandings)
pg. , Magic Fingers

... The caster can fight, pick a lock, or perform any other
action, using the magic fingers as if they were real hands...

If you read that as: "as if they were his hands" then yes. I don't read it that way, but my opinion isn't worth a lot at your gaming table biggrin.gif

In atleast one of the previous editions there was a remote killing hands adept power, particularly silly when combined with the adept power that delayed damage up to 24 hours iirc.

Ugh don't remind me of the Distance Strike + Killing Hands + Delayed Damage Super Cheese Combo. I'm sure someone made it work reasonably well in their game, but it was always one of my all time least favorite parts of SR 2-3 Adept Rules.
Angelstandings
QUOTE (stevebugge)
Ugh don't remind me of the Distance Strike + Killing Hands + Delayed Damage Super Cheese Combo. I'm sure someone made it work reasonably well in their game, but it was always one of my all time least favorite parts of SR 2-3 Adept Rules.

Remind you I shall biggrin.gif

Remember how there was nothing in the rules stating that the adept had to physically move in anyway to use Distance Strike?

The adept just had to be within range, with his hands in his pocket if he chose... whistling innocently.
stevebugge
NOOOOOO! Not the dreaded "Pocket Pool" kill! biggrin.gif
hyzmarca
But it isn't nearly as fun as the SURGed monkey-tailed adept with the incantation geas on his killing hands and the gesture geas on his distance strike.

Ka-me-ha-me-ha
Liper
I was pretty sure for delayed damage you had to come into physical contact, or at the least have the whole silent version of delayed to do the distance strike thing.
fistandantilus4.0
it was implied that you had to have the 'silent' version to not have to make the whole 'threatening kung-fu-you' action, but it did not specifically say "you must go through the motions of an actual attack, albeit at a range", although apparently it should have
mfb
hmmm... yeah, by that wording, i can still have my adept who shoots laser beams from his hands.
Angelstandings
QUOTE (mfb @ Feb 3 2006, 03:56 AM)
hmmm... yeah, by that wording, i can still have my adept who shoots laser beams from his hands.

I recall shadowrun going through a phase where an Adepts could almost much do anything with power points that a sammie could do with cyberware (through expanded powers, etc)... I think the general rule was that it had to be a passive effect (i.e. you could have thermographic vision, but not ultrasound).

... But, this is the first time I heard about power points duplicating the effects of a cyberweapon -- unless you're talking about the effect generated from distance strike (non-silent version) + killing hands wink.gif If so... blah... why not, I'd allow it. If an adept wanted to call himself Bruce Leeroy and have his hands to glow when using Killing hands, I'd probably allow that too... albeit grudgingly.

Reminds me of the Jedi tradition adepts (not the part about lasers).
hobgoblin
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
But it isn't nearly as fun as the SURGed monkey-tailed adept with the incantation geas on his killing hands and the gesture geas on his distance strike.

Ka-me-ha-me-ha

color me silly.gif but you made me want to make a group of surged cat people where the leader have a gesture and "talisman" geas on a special kind of increased reflexes spell rotfl.gif

THUNDER THUNDER THUNDERCATS HOOO!!!
jervinator
I think the general rule was that it had to be a passive effect (i.e. you could have thermographic vision, but not ultrasound).

No, but it had to be non-technological. You couldn't get anything involving radio waves or telecomunication. No imagelinks, no smartgun links (now that those are eyeware and not bodyware), no commlinks, etcetera.
It's really a GMs call whether an ability could possibly be reproduced without technology. For instance, I would allow ultrasound because dolphins and bats use an ultrasonic sense naturally.
Liper
but ultrasound vision is not duplicatablebtw, it says it in one of the books I believe.

Also, you can't reproduce a smartlink, but you were able to do a increase aim thing with it.
PlatonicPimp
One of my adepts had a gesture geas on Distance strike as well. He had to make an insulting gesture at you.
Cang
would something like death touch work with magic fingers?
nick012000
Sure, but you take the -2 penalty to casting the spell for sustaining another, another -2 penalty to hit (counteracting the +2 for only needing to touch), and the Agility of the attack is equal to the hits scored in casting Magic Fingers.

In short: You're better off casting Manabolt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012