Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Defending your Commlink
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Jopp
Ok, first we need some basic defense...

Hidden mode
Hidden mode buys time and makes sure that you are not instantly spotted by prying eyes.

Encryption
Encryption is your friend, especially if they DO find your hidden signal, now they have to decrypt the darn thing before they can even begin hacking.

Data Bombs (now the fun begins)
Data bombs can be attached to a specific FILE or DEVICE, but only 1 per device or file.

Now we attach a databomb to the following devices & programs.

Encryption (When they try to crack the encryption it goes BOOM (I assume they can scan the encryption first to try and FIND the databomb first.)
Commlink (When they crack the encryption and try an exploit test it goes BOOM (unless they find it)

Now, this might be a bit of a stretch but since the System/OS is listed as a program one could probably add a databomb to that one as well (this mainly be useful to protect a system from “Crash Program action” or at least just kick the hacker in the face a it goes down in flames.

For a hacker with a good commlink it will take up 4 response slots (Encryption, databomb, databomb, OS databomb) yea, so you only have 1 response slot left, but you DO have a minefield.

Of course this will not be used when doing actual hacking but it is a nice casual defense against snoopers and for datacarriers who wants to protect their data.

Data Locks
Even if a hacker might lack access to the data he would still be able to access the device, and thus add a databomb to the device.

For added defense of sensitive data one can add 3 databombs to a data lock.

1.to the datalock itself
2.the encryption is a program and can therefore be loaded with a databomb.
3.the data itself can also be loaded with a databomb

The last two databombs can only be added by the actual program owners who load the program into the data lock.

BaronSameday
Like the idea.

Then you could add another Commslink as a DMZ which does the real control of your wirless systems?

Think It might be gaming the game because you are making other levels of firewalls but I do think it would be allowed.

fistandantilus4.0
doesn't a databomb destroy the file that it's attached to though? If so, seems short sighted to attach one to your OS. Unless you're in the "If I can't have it , nobody can" camp.
Aku
ok, heres a couple of questions ('m still trying to learn the system)

1)If you do the hidden comm/active comm schtick, would you actually be hacking through the active comm? (might be a good defense, especially in highly physcially secure areas. Hack through the public comm, spoof it to look like thats what's being used, and then if trouble comes around, offer up the comm for inspection "see officer, i dont have anything special on there, theres no way it coulda been me, my comm musta been comprimised, i'll make sure to beef up it's security right away officer")

2) for the databombs, i seem to remember "something" about, once they're enabled, they don't take up any system, it's just the actual databomb program that does, but i cant remember where i read this, if it was here on DS or i saw it in the book...

3) Agent Use-- Assuming that i wholey screwed up on number 2, and each bomb does infact use up response, could you not load up an agent for expressly this purpose? as far as i can tell, you are only hit with 1 response decrease with agents (for the agent itself) and not it plus every program you load onto it.
The Jopp
I’d rule that IF you use another commlink to ”hack through” then you would access and hack from another node, and that node will have a lower response.

Let’s put it this way. The commlink you have uses an OS that “contains” up to your response rating in programs, but at the same time your OS is a program as well – this will be reflected in your “firewall” commlink since it will be running the “primary” commlink as a program (the OS should be accessible through that commlink).

This gives us several options – and drawbacks.

The good
You have a secondary line of defense that can be filled with agents and databombs and even secondary encryptions.

Example (Solution 1 – one I find logical since one does not use up ALL resources of the firewall commlink)

Step 1
Firewall Commlink R5 – runs Encrypt, Databomb Device and IC (2 slots left)
Hacker Commlink R5 – runs 4 different programs (1 slot left)

Step 2
Hacker Commlinks connects through Firewall Commlink

Result

Firewall Commlink R5 – runs Encrypt, Databomb Device, IC, Hacker OS (1 slots left)
Hacker Commlink R5 – runs 4 different programs (1 slot left)

Solution 2 (quick and simple but slightly more illogical.

For each commlink connecting to another you lower the response by 1 on the “Firewall” commlink – and thus lowering the limit for the Hacker commlink as well.

The bad
Well, that depends on how you run it.

Unless the hackers are aware of an intrusion a “Crash OS” would be quite bad for them as they would be thrown out of the node.

Databombs have the option of destrying files if the user wish it.
BaronSameday
The above systems has lots of advantages and might make hackers/tecno cry smile.gif

Load Commlink one with false sin and other rubbish and place LOTS of defense within it. Allows you to walk around being "joe public".

Then link second Commslink to it by wire(hay it is in your pocket) Then hook all your wirless kit into the second one. When you need wireless access just open up the gateway between the 2. In fact you could leave it open most of the time and just live on the secuirty of both commslink.

As long as all you wirless stuff is linked to your second commslink you should be golden.

just an idea?
Rotbart van Dainig
You attach Data Bombs either to Devices or Files - they activate and crash only when those are accessed.

So, not data-bombing Encryptions or running Programs.

OS is not a Program, on the other hand, and daisy-chained Node may serve as chokepoints, but they do not limit performance.
BlackHat
QUOTE (BaronSameday)
The above systems has lots of advantages and might make hackers/tecno cry smile.gif

Load Commlink one with false sin and other rubbish and place LOTS of defense within it. Allows you to walk around being "joe public".

Then link second Commslink to it by wire(hay it is in your pocket) Then hook all your wirless kit into the second one. When you need wireless access just open up the gateway between the 2. In fact you could leave it open most of the time and just live on the secuirty of both commslink.

As long as all you wirless stuff is linked to your second commslink you should be golden.

just an idea?

If your wireless devices are subscribed to the second commlink, it must be online in hidden mode - which means its not really "behind" the first commlink at all.

Initially looking at you, they would see your public commlink. With a little scanning, they could find your wireless devices and your hidden commlink. Then they could just hack the second commlink, avoiding all the defenses you loaded on the first one.
nick012000
They will count against the devices you can have subscribed, however.
Azralon
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
You attach Data Bombs either to Devices or Files - they activate and crash only when those are accessed.

Okay, so you set your honeypot file out there in the open, called "Blackmail Information" or "Elf Pr0n" or something.
Dashifen
LOL! Honeypots in SR4. I love it.

Another baddie that I did once is to attach a databomb to an IC program. When the IC program goes down, the bomb goes off. Similar to the old Trap IC in SR3 except it doesn't launch anothre IC program, just the bomb.
BlackHat
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Feb 3 2006, 10:45 AM)
Another baddie that I did once is to attach a databomb to an IC program.  When the IC program goes down, the bomb goes off.  Similar to the old Trap IC in SR3 except it doesn't launch anothre IC program, just the bomb.

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Feb 3 2006, 11:05 AM)

As above - you attach them to devices or files. An Agent running with a Databomb program in its payload doesnt' trigger it when he crashes - he can just use it to trap otehr devices or files.

If you put the databomb on file for the IC program it still wouldn't trigger when it crashes, it would trigger if an unauthorized user tried to access that file (to launch some IC).

You definatly can't use Data Bomb as an attack program. Though it would be sweet if you could, since its automatic damage that the icon who tripped it cannot avoid.
The Jopp
QUOTE (BlackHat)
If your wireless devices are subscribed to the second commlink, it must be online in hidden mode - which means its not really "behind" the first commlink at all.

Initially looking at you, they would see your public commlink. With a little scanning, they could find your wireless devices and your hidden commlink. Then they could just hack the second commlink, avoiding all the defenses you loaded on the first one.

Not quite, if you use an internal commlink (or another external) just disable the wireless connection and route it through the Personas subscription list to be "hidden". In order to "see" the other commlink they would have to hack the first one.

The fun thing is that hackers can have their own tiered networks, on a slightly smaller scale.

I started writhign this a little while ago, does it sound logical (this is as far as I have understood the rules for networking and limitations on response)

Step 1: What is a Node?
A node is any wireless device or network that can be connected to the Matrix and accessed through the matrix (See matrix topology in SR4 page 206). At the bottom of the hierarchy are the commlink and the personal area networks.

Conclusion: Commlinks are NODES.

Step 2: Accessing Nodes & Response
Programs are limited by the Response on the Node on which they are uploaded (See “System (Software)” page 213. If you have a Node with a Response 5 and System 5 then you can run up to five programs. If you upload a rating 4 agent on a Response 2 node then it will be limited to rating 2.

If you hack into a Node with a Response of 2 and your own Commlink (a Node in itself) has a Response of 5 then all your programs are run with rating 5, unless you load more than 5 programs. The Response 2 Node will be limited to rating 2 programs.

Step 3: Accessing Multiple Nodes
If you access a tiered network (in this example lets assume we have a team with multiple commlinks networked for added security)

We have three (3) Nodes (Commlinks) and they have a response equal to their name (Response 1-3). In order to access commlink 3 we need to hack through the first two just to be able to TRY hacking the last one.

There is no limitation to the Hackers commlink when accessing the third commlink THROUGH the other two according to SR4, this means that only programs UPLOADED on the actual Nodes (Commlink 1-3) are limited by Response.

Ok, this actually means that hackers can use their own tiered secure networks of several defensive commlinks. Ok, money might be an issue though.

The Jopp

So, not data-bombing Encryptions or running Programs.

OS is not a Program, on the other hand, and daisy-chained Node may serve as chokepoints, but they do not limit performance.

But programs are files, arent they?
Brahm
Not running Databomb, which is different. Why couldn't you put a Databomb on an IC. So the first access to the running program, say to attack it, set it off? It depends on what you class as being protected by Encrpyt.

I assume Scramble is just an artifact from copying SR3 text.
Brahm
QUOTE (The Jopp)

Running programs have icons, and you can put it on an icon. The only stipulation is that the icon be protected by Encrypt. So it sort of depends on whether you rule a given running program is protected by Encrypt.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
doesn't a databomb destroy the file that it's attached to though? If so, seems short sighted to attach one to your OS. Unless you're in the "If I can't have it , nobody can" camp.

iirc from older versions, failing to decrypt a encrypted file properly would destroy said file (ouch! sounds like perfect DRM thinking). but a databomb do not destroy the file its attached to.

you may compare a databomb to a tripwire.

if you databomb a device you put a tripwire on a door. if you open said door without taking the right steps beforhand, boom.

putting a databomb on a file is like tripwiring a box. open or move the box and boom.

sadly you cant put a dead-man tripwire on a IC or agent, would be all to cool smokin.gif

so here is my setup:

tripwire on device.
encryption on connection.
hidden mode.

first you have to locate, then you have to decrypt. and if you dont watch out, things go boom when you then try to access the device. and if i want to i can then have more databombs sitting on all kinds of files. hmm, maybe i can even databomb the smartlink or other similar devices. so if the hacker trys to screw with my aiming he yet again gets a boom silly.gif

and why do i envision all this as good old round black bombs with a fuse? wobble.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (The Jopp)

Running Programs are Programs - of course, you can protect stored Programs, which are files.

Agents/IC should be possible carriers, too - but that only matters when someone is trying to get inside them...
Cain
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but a new trick just popped up:

Let's say that you have two commlinks. The first is loaded with a Fake ID, and generic material so you can pose as Joe Public. The second is in hidden mode and skinlinked, unconnected to your first commlink, and connects to all your shadowgear. Now, as I read it, the skinlink alone renders you immune to hacking and jamming attempts; and the first allows you to avoid the problems of going about in hidden mode. If you need it, you add a third commlink with a high Firewall to serve as your communicator.

I can't see any flaws in this setup in the RAW, which means that anyone with 600 nuyen.gif is immune to hacking attacks on their gear. If that's true, what's the point of all the threats on hacking gear?
neko128
QUOTE (Cain)
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but a new trick just popped up:

Let's say that you have two commlinks. The first is loaded with a Fake ID, and generic material so you can pose as Joe Public. The second is in hidden mode and skinlinked, unconnected to your first commlink, and connects to all your shadowgear. Now, as I read it, the skinlink alone renders you immune to hacking and jamming attempts; and the first allows you to avoid the problems of going about in hidden mode. If you need it, you add a third commlink with a high Firewall to serve as your communicator.

I can't see any flaws in this setup in the RAW, which means that anyone with 600 nuyen.gif is immune to hacking attacks on their gear. If that's true, what's the point of all the threats on hacking gear?

Well, first, define "all your shadow gear". I still posit that having it all touch your skin is infeasible in many cases, or at least infeasible for reliability.

Second, if your "public" commlink is not linked in any way to your "private" one, then actually USING both is going to be an interesting trick. If they're both connected to the same display/interface device (goggles, cybereyes, whatever), then it's possible to break through from one to the other; and if they AREN'T connected to the same display device, you have trouble actually using at least one.

Third, at least to my understanding, commlinks in hidden mode are not broadcasting their presence, but ARE both discoverable and hackable with enough effort.
Cain
Well, first, define "all your shadow gear". I still posit that having it all touch your skin is infeasible in many cases, or at least infeasible for reliability.

In the trick I was shown, the smartlinked guns and heavily modified contact lenses were linked to the hidden commlink. It could easily be expanded to include various bits of cyberware, however.

Second, if your "public" commlink is not linked in any way to your "private" one, then actually USING both is going to be an interesting trick. If they're both connected to the same display/interface device (goggles, cybereyes, whatever), then it's possible to break through from one to the other; and if they AREN'T connected to the same display device, you have trouble actually using at least one.

The public commlink was connected solely to a set of AR glasses, with no vison mods. That means that you can't put false visual details onto the glasses, since they're not really showing you anything. The worst that could happen is a bunch of AR details popping up, but then you can take off the glasses without being the worse for wear-- all the vision mods are in the contacts.

Third, at least to my understanding, commlinks in hidden mode are not broadcasting their presence, but ARE both discoverable and hackable with enough effort.

That's the question, though. First of all, won't the skinlink prevent most wireless access, since everything is running though direct contact? Second, with two commlinks, how likely is it that the second one would even be discovered? The point is to set the first commlink as a decoy; if I read p 225 correctly, trying to notice a hidden node when there are nonhidden ones nearby raises the threshold to 15. That means that you're not likely to get hacked during combat, and probably not noticed at all, if you keep moving.
Kyoto Kid
This is why if you are not a hacker or do not posess the appropriate skills (such as in the case of my Adept KK 4.1), it's wise to spend the BPs for a hacker as contact with a loyalty rating of 5 or 6.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Cain)
I can't see any flaws in this setup in the RAW, which means that anyone with 600 nuyen.gif is immune to hacking attacks on their gear.

Not really a flaw, but as long as you run a mode at all, wifi still is enabled.

So, someone could hack the cheap commlink and use it to scan for your hidden one - as soon as it becomes obvious that the cheap one is just cover.

Absolute security against hacking relies on being offline.
hobgoblin
absolute comlink security relies on it being at the bottom of the sea, coverd in a unknown number of layers of concrete, diffrent hard and heavy metals, dikote, and watched over by a equal number of 3 digit rating spirits and some very well payed great dragons...
Rotbart van Dainig
Nah - to ultimately secury a commlink against hacking, just grind it to fine dust... which you burn. grinbig.gif
Cain
Another trick that I noticed when I read that page: what about jamming your own shadow commlink? You're cut off from the Matrix, but not your PAN.
Rotbart van Dainig
As the Jammer happens to be strongest in effect at the center, that would certainly kill your PAN first (Signal 0).

Using Skinlink and turning Wireless off is a better idea - one that doesnt get you busted (Jammers are highly illegal, as in the World of SR4, Electronic Warfare has a whole new meaning), too. wink.gif
neko128
As the Jammer happens to be strongest in effect at the center, that would certainly kill your PAN first (Signal 0).

Using Skinlink and turning Wireless off is a better idea - one that doesnt get you busted (Jammers are highly illegal, as in the World of SR4, Electronic Warfare has a whole new meaning), too. wink.gif

Most jammers work by interfering with the signal, not eliminating it; for example, a cell phone jammer functions by sending radio waves out on the same frequencies that cell phones use, and the interference makes the devices not work. They still send and receive signals; they're just meaningless.

My point being... If there's a jammer in the area, the PAN will still send and receive signals; the only question is whether or not the signals are meaningful. However, if you KNOW what the jammer's doing (know its frequency, oscilattion rate, etcetera) then you can filter it out, and be completely unaffected. So if you're jamming yourself, and you're smart about it, your own network won't be affected. At worst, you could say that all devices inside the radius need a "decrypt" program running, but I'd say even that wouldn't be necessary. No electronics warfare test needed.

On the other hand, jammers are by necessity active devices, for wireless networks; thus, the jammer would be easily detectable inside its range.
Rotbart van Dainig
Sure, complete destructive interference is so much harder to obtain than simple white noise.

QUOTE (neko128)
However, if you KNOW what the jammer's doing (know its frequency, oscilattion rate, etcetera) then you can filter it out, and be completely unaffected.

Thats what the ECCM Program is for. smile.gif

Just, at some point, better hardware becomes necessary - hardware, that, most of the time, isn't build into consumer devices.

PS: My post referred to SR4 ruling, not communications engineering. wink.gif
Brahm
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Feb 28 2006, 10:59 AM)
Sure, complete destructive interference is so much harder to obtain than simple white noise.

QUOTE (neko128)
However, if you KNOW what the jammer's doing (know its frequency, oscilattion rate, etcetera) then you can filter it out, and be completely unaffected.

Thats what the ECCM Program is for. smile.gif

Just, at some point, better hardware becomes necessary - hardware, that, most of the time, isn't build into consumer devices.

That could be true if the peaks created by the noise pushed the signal at a given point offscale for the range of the device. But if the communication also went the other way, commlink to jammer, that could be avoided. The main problem though is the need to communicate between the jammer and all the devices that want to talk to each other. Meaning they'd all need to be wired up via optic or skinlink, at which point why are you bothering with wireless?

You could get around that by having a fixed schedule for the jammer signals, either a table or a seeded psuedo-random formula, loaded into the jammer and all the devices that you want to talk to each other. Effectively Encrypting the air. If a player suggested that to me as a GM my response would be along the lines of tossing a pizza crust at them and saying "shutup and play the game, geek". smile.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Brahm)
But if the communication also went the other way, commlink to jammer, that could be avoided. The main problem though is the need to communicate between the jammer and all the devices that want to talk to each other.  Meaning they'd all need to be wired up via optic or skinlink, at which point why are you bothering with wireless?

You could create a wireless 'servo loop' - as soon as the jammer doesn't get any valid data from the allowed devices, it cuts back...

But, that would result in something harder and heavier than a pizza crust, I suppose. wink.gif

Nevertheless, though such setups are possible to achieve with the rules, they tend to make you a beacon of white noise... which will certainly result in bad things happening to you.
Brahm
The result would be a good thing, they would gain exciting stories to swap with their cellmates. A bad thing is the GM spending time drafting up NPC stats for a SWAT team without getting an oppotunity to use them. cyber.gif
neko128
QUOTE (Brahm)
The result would be a good thing, they would gain exciting stories to swap with their cellmates. A bad thing is the GM spending time drafting up NPC stats for a SWAT team without getting an oppotunity to use them. cyber.gif

A GM with a spec-ops or SWAT team, sitting on paper and waiting, is bad. very bad. They shouldn't just have people like that sitting around. Such a thing is a source of fear... At least for me. nyahnyah.gif
Brahm
QUOTE (neko128 @ Feb 28 2006, 11:53 AM)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Feb 28 2006, 11:43 AM)
The result would be a good thing, they would gain exciting stories to swap with their cellmates. A bad thing is the GM spending time drafting up NPC stats for a SWAT team without getting an oppotunity to use them.   cyber.gif

A GM with a spec-ops or SWAT team, sitting on paper and waiting, is bad. very bad. They shouldn't just have people like that sitting around. Such a thing is a source of fear... At least for me. nyahnyah.gif

Yes, they shouldn't be sitting there. They should be in action. biggrin.gif

What you as a player should really fear is the inpromptu SWAT team that the GM feels compelled to use in response to some C.L.U.E File worthy action by a member of your team. At least the prebuilt NPCs will have a thought out and hopefully understood power scale and real game rules legal stats. It is hard as hell to survive a brush with an Adept whose main, if not sole strength is multiple levels in the Plot Device power. frown.gif
Aaron
If I'm reading the rules right, if your commlink is running in hidden mode, it's a Scan + EW test with a threshhold of 15 or more to find it, unless there's a good reason for someone to scan for a hidden node on you particularly, in which case it's 4 (which is still relatively high). For example, if I'm casing a target facility, and I see a turret hidden in a tree, it's a safe bet that it's wirelessly connected to a node somewhere in hidden mode; I need to make a Scan + EW roll and get at least four hits. I know it's there (or at least I strongly suspect it), but my commlink doesn't until I find it.

It might be noted that this roll is a straight-up test, not an Extended test, so you either find it or you don't.

Given that, it might just be safe enough to have a second commlink that you use like a standard commercial commlink just like every other person in the civilized Unwired World does. There's no reason to think that your "business" commlink is even there, since it's obvious that you're already using one.

As far as what program(s) you should be running in a node, consider what the program you least want your target to have when hacking other nodes. I'm not real worried about IC or even Black Hammer or Blackout. I'm most worried about Analyze. After all, they can't attack me if they don't know I'm there.

It follows, then, that Analyze is the most important anti-hacking program you can have. It's pretty good at catching on-the-fly hacking attempts. If you like, run an IC (agent) along with it and tell it to constantly scan for unfamiliar icons. Run an Attack or Black* program in there too for you and your agent to use if it comes to it. But really, once your PAN (which is, after all, a node) goes on alert, just reach down and reboot it. If you're a technomancer, make sure you know a nice Analyze Complex Form, and be prepared to unleash spooky doom and sprites on anything that sets your system on alert.

By the same token, if you're worried about probing, just reboot your commlink every hour or so. Technomancers, sorry; I can't think of anything for you on this one. But at least if you are a technomancer, you're not storing anything important in your head.

Of course, the security measures would be completely different for a node or series of nodes at a static facility, data center, corporation, and the like. But a commlink is something that you carry with you pretty much 24/7 (or have implanted into you), and that makes security a lot easier.

This all changes in combat, but then most things do. Usually, it takes too long to hack into an enemy node and start playing with their stuff (since you need security or admin access to do most of the fun stuff), so mostly you'll probably be running EW, making sure the enemy doesn't call for back-up, and defending your teammates against enemy hackers/technomancers trying to do things like shut off their cyber arms (something I managed to do in my last run; I was thinking of beating him with them, but my hacker has no Unarmed skill, and didn't have Command loaded anyway, and zero dice is a very small pool). So if you're in a fight in the real world, basically be ready for on in the Matrix as well.

In conclusion: good grief, this has gone way too long. Ciao.
Cain

Okay, color me confused. I thought, based on what you posted earlier, that if you were running a network, you automatically had wifi enabled, even if you were skinlinked? Could you clarify for me?
neko128
QUOTE (Cain)
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Feb 28 2006, 03:23 AM)

Okay, color me confused. I thought, based on what you posted earlier, that if you were running a network, you automatically had wifi enabled, even if you were skinlinked? Could you clarify for me?

You can turn wifi off if you want. On some devices, it may amount to disassembling the transmitter, but it's certainly possible. It's just occasionally conspicuous.
Rotbart van Dainig
Sorry if I lacked further explanation:

Hidden Mode means that WiFi still is enabled, just not broadcasting its presence, hiding instead.
So when you asked about running in Hidden Mode and using Skinlink, I pointed out that even Hidden Mode allows hacking your comlink wirelessly.

Turning it off solves that problem, but cuts your real comlink off from the rest of the matrix, naturally.
Shrike30
The benefit you'd get running a Hidden/Skinlink combo is that not only is your commlink hard to find, none of the devices you're packing around have a wireless signal, either (if they're wifi-disabled and skinlinked). This means that, among other things, a random sweep of the area doesn't turn up that nice smartgun signal coming out of your armpit, and makes it impossible to wifi-spoof to a particular device, bypassing the commlink entirely. If you made the wireless functionality of the Hidden/Skinlink combo toggleable, you could shrink the access points of your PAN down to things that you're touching, making it nearly unhackable.

Nearly? Yeah. You know what you have to worry about now? Handshakes.

"Dimitri stands up, crosses the room, and clasps your hand in a vigorous handshake. 'Ah, my friend, I am so happy to be seeing you again. I heard about your difficulties, and immediately felt concern, both for your person, and for our joint business venture. But I see my concerns were for nothing! You are well, yes? Yes, I see you are... haha, nothing can hurt you, my invincible friend! You dance between bullets like a butterfly dances between raindrops. Come, sit, we shall drink to your health and talk as men do of more opportunities!' With that, he releases your hand and leads you to a table in the back of the restaurant, already covered in steaming dishes of food."

Dimitri's little bit there, spoken in a bad Russian accent, is about 30 seconds long... or 10 turns, if you prefer. Dimitri's running a skinlink, too, wired to his commlink, which is talking over wifi to his buddy Skizzy in the next room, who's running hot sim VR and just waiting for that handshake. That handshake is piggybacking a hacker right into your skinlink network, and he's got about 30 initiative passes of screwing around with your commlink before that handshake ends.

You think that's bad? How about some of those "fly on the wall" drones serving as signal carriers? If you can get one to land on a character without being noticed (say, the back of the collar of their jacket, or some place similar), it can patch into their skinlink network, and suddenly you're broadcasting wifi without even realizing it.

PCs can pull these stunts too, of course. It's just my job as a GM to keep 'em paranoid. vegm.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Shrike30)
Nearly?  Yeah.  You know what you have to worry about now?  Handshakes.

How about some of those "fly on the wall" drones serving as signal carriers?  If you can get one to land on a character without being noticed (say, the back of the collar of their jacket, or some place similar), it can patch into their skinlink network, and suddenly you're broadcasting wifi without even realizing it.

PCs can pull these stunts too, of course.  It's just my job as a GM to keep 'em paranoid.  vegm.gif

Interesting, very interesting.

Something to think about before running my next session. I love surprises.

Shrike30
You know what else is fun? Seats rigged to connect to skinlinks, "Stick'n'talk" shotgun shells (like the fly landing on the shoulder, but with more oomph... tap his comms and see who he calls if he starts getting shot at!), opposing security running hardcore jamming on all frequencies but the ones they're hopping to... EW is stupidly fun in SR4.
The Jopp
Hmm, databombs can be added to FILES and/or DEVICES.

Ok, Devices are simple, but what would constitute as a file?

Would the active subscription list on a running commlink be classified as a file? It isn’t a program. Would be a nice defense against snoopers trying to hack your gear.

What would be a file:
Subscription List
Commlink ID (Well, if they can identify your unique device ID they must get it from somewhere)
Certified Credstick ID (there would be some kind of ID file in the device)

Well folks, fill in the blanks…
Oracle
I am under the impression, that the term file in SR does not mean the same as in reality. Not everything accessible in a commlink does necessarily have to be a file. My guessing is that none of the things you mentioned can be trapped with a data bomb.
BlackHat
I think a subscription list could.
Your commlink ID is like your IP address, it might be stored in a file somewhere, but that's not how the other person gets it. Also, by the time they're in your commlink to be looking at the file, they already know it. As for your credstick ID, see above, but that also wouldn't be stored on your commlink - that would be stored on the credstick. Your commlink might have bank account information if you have a bank account tied to a SIN, or some off-shore account somewhere - and THAT could probably be databombed.
Cain

Does a commlink count as a device for this purpose? wink.gif
Brahm
Only a link to the commlink in another node. At the commlink level the Databomb equivalent is called IC.

@Blackhat

Data bombs can be attached to icon that is also protected by Scramble or Encrypt, so at the least you could attach a Databomb to each individual item in the subscription list.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Cain)

Does a commlink count as a device for this purpose? wink.gif

Sure.
hobgoblin
crack the encryption, hack the firewall and then boom, you tripped the databomb.

one thing is for sure, im going to define my comlink metaphor after a clown-mobile silly.gif
The Jopp
QUOTE (Brahm @ Mar 1 2006, 05:34 PM)
Only a link to the commlink in another node.  At the commlink level the Databomb equivalent is called IC.

Nope, the commlink is a device so it can be databombed. IC is more or less a defensive agent loaded with programs while a databomb is an automatic successful attack unless disarmed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012