Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much variation do you use?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Snow_Fox
I appreciate all the options for guns we have, and cars etc. In 3rd ed Rigger BB one of the best things was the name of comparable cars that are close neough in stats- for example the Honda Turbo stats can be used for the Ford Mustang etc.

But how many people really use the extra guns and options?

When I look at our old gorup most people for pistols used the Predator II, Colt Manhunter, or Berretta 200T.
So do many players use the olther pistols much?

Long arms were often AK-97, or the M-22.
SMG's were HP-5, Uzi or Ingram.
stevebugge
In the interest of game flavor, I frequently had corp security guards armed with parent corp weapons whenever possible, or would create a parent corp knockoff with only a slight variation in stats (ie ammo cap would change by 2-3 on an smg) from a canon weapon so that the corpers were always endorsing their own brand.

EDIT: I'm assuming that this was you meant by "options" not did anyone ever use any of those other printed options
mfb
i use as much variety as possible, often making up new manufacturers for existing guns. using a korean knockoff of a polish copy of an M-23 is more cyberpunk, to me, than using an M-23.
PiXeL01
When making characters I have to admit there are certain canon weapons I always use, namely the Manhunter. For other weapons I try to vary, but always use canon names frown.gif As a GM I try to place as much variation as possible, as othes have already said. Aztech knock offs and so on.
MK Ultra
I used a great variety of weapons in SR3, much of them homebrewed, but not much different in stats from the regular canon material, especialy for affiliated NPCs, though the canon material were the main sellers for my players (cuz most of my models were cheap knockoffs and variants or costly toys with mainly cosmetical changes).

I totaly loved the alternate brands in Rigger 3, they were the maine reason I ever got the book, since I had Rigger 2 before and was quiet fine with the rules. I used these a lot and allways grudged about not having this same simple flavour option in the Canon Compandium.
Beaumis
Like Steve, I like to equip corp troops with their own products. Beyond that, I guess variety always suffers a bit over stats.

We used to have a houserule that restricted certain ammo types to certain weapons. Basically the idea was to have the ammo make up for the weapon. Worked rather well but it was a bit heavy on the book keeping, so we dropped it at some point.
That wasnt half bad though, since the rule had changed out playstyle somewhat. When I DM I enforce strict book-keeping for ammo and such during runs. I also have severall ways to ensure weapons actually get to be used. For instance do many of my clubs have this policy about armor. They dont mind people having weapons at all, but everything heavier that a T-Shirt has to go when you enter. In such an enviroment, people think twice about using their weapons and even a hold out becomes deadly.

My CorpSec & Star guys also have this relativly strict view on firearms. Everything thats a heavy pistol or above is considered to be "Equipment of Intention". Basically the reasoning is that self defense is supposed to against the sprawls "usuall" dangers like gangers. Those types usuall arent heavy on armor so a light or medium pistol is all you need. Automatic weapons, Heavy pistols and all that are supposed to be for professionals (which, in their opinion is CorpSec and LS only). So concealability has become pretty important for us as well.

I also like to have my Corp and LS guys beeing rather vindictive once on of their own goes down, so stun weapons have gained some populatiry for my players since we had this "shot while resisting arrest" situation... .

Finally, my players were rather look oriented and most guns had a certain "coolness" factor for us. Of the list of the usuall guns only the Predator made it, so we had some variety simply by player preferance. I always had a soft spot for the Morrisey Alta. Beautifull gun.

All this kinda went out of the window once automatic weapons were involved. Once the social barriers were broken, the biggest bang for the buck was the item of choice. But then, I dont care much what gun they die with. biggrin.gif
Ryu
Our group did use many of the SR weapons, player preferences being very different.

The "mainstays" were Ares Predator or Colt Manhunter, HK 227s, Ares Alpha. My own list was Colt M22A2 and WA-2100(I wished), both for looks.

Under SR4, we are using a template system like Rigger III did. You take a weapon of your choice and choose an existing weapon for stats, ignoring real-life differences.
Critias
I very often make up new names for existing gear, but when presenting it to my characters, will make it fairly clear what game stats to use. "This is a cheap Japanacorp knock-off of an M-23," or "He's using a street-surplus clone of a solid Predator II," or whatever. Same stats, potentially even the same specialization (I guess, don't think it's come up yet) -- but a little more flavor.

I mean, there's more than six gun manufacturers in the world for a reason, just like there's more than three car companies.
MK Ultra
QUOTE (Critias)
I mean, there's more than six gun manufacturers in the world for a reason, just like there's more than three car companies.

Sooo? Could you please give me the page reference to this rules in SR4? nyahnyah.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (MK Ultra)
QUOTE (Critias @ Feb 7 2006, 04:07 AM)

Sooo? Could you please give me the page reference to this rules in SR4? nyahnyah.gif

SR4 Companion, page 26.
SL James
Barring the SR4Comp, you can always visit my ass.
Adarael
Does it have an index?
Critias
QUOTE (MK Ultra)
QUOTE (Critias @ Feb 7 2006, 04:07 AM)

(1) I never said I was playing SR4. I'm not in the SR4 forum.

(2) There's no "rules" about this, even in SR3. I never said it was a rule, I said it's how I do it in my games. According to the "rules" there are quite a few firearm manufacturers that only make a single model of handgun, there are only three or four non-assault and non-sniper rifles in the world (and Remington makes more than half of them), etc, etc. That's silly. Do a Google search for Taurus Firearms and you'll find dozens, if not hundreds, of models of revolvers alone. Look in Cannon Companion for Taurus, and you'll find one, or maybe two, models.

So I make up brand names, I change the names (but keep the stats) of existing models, and I always make it clear to my players what stats, even if not what corporate logo, a firearm has.
Ryu
Therefore having variety and style without rules issues. We are on the same "page" there, altough we converted to SR4.
MK Ultra
I was just joking, I´m totally with You Critias . Though I would sometimes not tell a player the actual stats of a weapon if the pc does not have the skills to know and never encounterd said model before. "It´s a semi-automatic heavy pistol" would have to sufice them in such cases.
SL James
If you want rules, read the Introduction and Developer's Say to Cannon Companion where Mike M practically creamed himself discussing the variety of guns in his bookcase full of gun magazines.
brennanhawkwood
My players and myself (GMing or playing) have generally been pretty good about picking weapons that fit the concept of the character and situation so a wide variety was usually present. Even some of the lemons were usually represented from time to time.
Shrike30
The Browning Max-Power always got a decent amount of use with me, and occasionally others in my group... yeah, you're out 5-6 rounds in the mag compared to a Predator/Manhunter, but it's more concealable than both of those.

If a few rounds of heavy pistol ammunition aren't going to get you out of the gunfight, you should either be using something heavier, or getting *out* of the gunfight as soon as possible.
Akimbo
I found myself designing my own weapons from the rulings in the Cannon Companion. I even ended up illustating them with Photoshop. It took some time, but no one could say that my character didn't have style.
Calvin Hobbes
Our team uses a Portland 2036 Crais, an SK-Luger 14mm, and a Cross 10mm which are all just browning max-powers.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Akimbo)
I found myself designing my own weapons from the rulings in the Cannon Companion.  I even ended up illustating them with Photoshop.  It took some time, but no one could say that my character didn't have style.

I do the same with Vehicles from Sports cars to heavy transport aircraft. In my campaigns the three following firms are major players (though not mega corps):

Aeon-Delta Vee: Designer of high performance fuel cell powered cars. The parent company Aeon is also heavily involved in experimenting with "exotic" technologies and their applications. Most of this is of course classified.

I Motive: Maker of high output induction drive systems for transportation both (land and marine), heavy industrial applications, and maglev rail systems. I Motive is a major supplier of drive systems for Aeon-Delta Vee and also subcontracts to other transportation firms.

Marathon Aerotek: Builder of heavy sub-mach commercial and military transport aircraft using the "Active Wing" concept to enhance takeoff & landing performance. Also builds Sub orbital transports, high speed executive aircraft, and orbital spaceplanes.

These three corporations are part of a larger consortium of transportation interests known as the Olympus Group.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012