Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What they got right
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Snow_Fox
There are lots of threads about things that have not come to past as we start to overrun the time line laid out from the books, but what about what they got right?

Cell phones are now very cheap and small. They can be on a wrist watch.

The Twin Towers in New York are gone.

Ford Motors is on it's knees (In 1st Ed rigger BB they mention Ford was owned by a consortium form the carrib.)
Liper
wasn't in 1st edition there was something like the berlin wall coming down and then it did?
Ancient History
Corporations are raping and pillaging Terra by buying out governments.
Brahm
The didn't get all the names right, but some of those really big name companies merging has happened. Such as automakers like Dalimer-Chrysler.
Dale
Let's see, maybe the weather and a bunch of natural disasters lately going nuts as a precursor to the Awakening in a few short years?
winterhawk11
Then there's always the one about Arnold Schwarzenegger going into politics... smile.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Yeah, but that came up in so many differnet medias (like certain movies) that's it's probably a self-fulfilling prophecy
SL James
So was him declaring his intentions to do so shortly after he fell of the schnitzel wagon.
MK Ultra
@ SL James
I allways thought, he must have mentiond some such idea in an early interview. Then everybody said like " biggrin.gif sure , oh indifferent.gif that was actually serious?" and SF started making comments about it. From then on, itīd probably run wild.

@ Brahm
Yea, got that creapy feeling everytime something like Daimler-Chrysler or Thyssen-Krupp hapens wink.gif

@ main topic
The GUS dissolved, but that was probably writing on the wall, when SR got started.

Weīve got european currency allso, allthough the name differs.

cyber replacement and riggercontroll are on the track see this among others.
SL James
Yeah, he did. Even back in Austria he was saying that he was a) going to get into politics, and b) marry a Kennedy. While everyone must have thought he was batshit crazy, he had accomplished both by the time SR came out in 1989, although his political career wasn't what it is now (and won't be come December when he gets kicked out).
nick012000
Unless he goes and gets re-elected.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (MK Ultra)
cyber replacement and riggercontroll are on the track see this among others.

sure, but can said monkey feel the robotic arm grabbing hold of something? can it feel the pressure its putting on said item with the robotic arm?

its easy to get info out of the brain, its 10 times harder to get it in there...
Dale
I could have sworn there were tests going on with prosthetic arms that allowed a person to feel pressure, heat, and cold. And I know they're working on surgically attaching prosthetic limbs to people instead of just strapping them on.
hobgoblin
tests are probably going on, but i fear they most likely have not come as far as that robotic arm...

as for surgicaly attaching a prosthetic limb; from my understanding, most limbs today (outside of the third world) not so much strap on as use suction or similar to stay attached.

about the only time you need to consider trapping something on is when the whole shoulder joint have been removed.

and most likely they are not attaching the whole limb, but rather a attachement point. and this point could then act as a socket for the "neural interface".

basicly a titanium bolt or similar would be inserted into a nearby bone and exit the body thru a surgicaly made opening. to this you then attach the limb itself. atleast thats how i guess they would do it.
nezumi
It's all true! ALL OF IT!! We've just been prevented from seeing it! Shadowrun canon is the bible with which I guide my daily life!! Especially in regards to the Drop Bear Conspiracy!*

* See also, "The Shadows of the Drop Bear", FASA 1991, "Neo-Anarchist's Guide to Things that have Dropped out of Trees and Eaten my Brain", FASA 1992 (both limited-print run, super-top-secret books. Kinda like the necronomicon.)
Churl Beck
They correctly predicted that Paris Hilton is an elf.
eidolon
They missed predicting that she was a vacuous moron, though. Unless I missed that.
MK Ultra
Arnīt all of them? Elves I mean! wink.gif
FrankTrollman
We've had victims of a natural disaster forced to resort to armed robbery to divert trucks filled with medical supplies to the site of said natural disaster. Though SR got several details wrong.

The actual events took place in a different city, with a different disaster, with a different company, and at a different date. But the event, and its essential ramifications, remain pretty much the same.

-Frank
SL James
A Teamsters' strike does not fall under the definition of a "disaster."

Nor do I recall the Justice Department suing the everliving fuck out of a company for killing 200 people trying to trespass onto their property or that the Surpreme Court heard any such case, or that because of one instance companies across the U.S. are hiring mercenaries to protect their property. So... No. I don't think "the event, and its essential ramifications, remain pretty much the same."
nezumi
FASA did have to change some minor details 'to protect the innocent' and all that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012