Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Firing around corners
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
jklst14
The rulebook mentions that a smartlinked weapon is equiped with a camera and can be fired around corners (p. 312) and that a smart firing platform with a smartlinked weapon can be fired remotely (p. 311).

Are there any specific modifiers for doing either of these actions? I've looked around and haven't found any yet.

Thanks!

JKL
MK Ultra
Not to my knowledge. But one could rule (and IŽd understand the spirit of the rules that way), that the inverse cover modifires are applied in this case. So you got full cover which is +6 (or was it still 8?) ore something to defend, but you get +3 (or 4) to attack as well!
This would not apply IMO by fiering a smartgun remotely from a fieringplatforme.
Lagomorph
I believe the smart firing platforms are just drones with no wheels.
Darkness
QUOTE (jklst14)
Are there any specific modifiers for doing either of these actions? I've looked around and haven't found any yet.

In our group we use the "Attacker firing from cover" modifier (-1, p. 140, Ranged Combat Modifiers Table) for such an occasion.
neko128
In my opinion, the closest equivalent to firing around a corner with a smartgun is actually zooming with a scope or cybereye magnification. Shooting around the corner with a smartgun means shooting through a reduced field of view, very similar to shooting through a scope; so I'd rule that the same restrictions/mods apply.
Squinky
I see no reason why a smartlink wouldn't have the same field of vision as one eye. I don't believe it would be a narrow little picture, that seems silly.
mfb
well, closing one eye does narrow your field of vision quite a bit. that said, there's no information on what kind of field of view a smartlink sensor gives you.
eidolon
Ignore me if you saw this before I edited. Sam Adams said not to pay attention when I saw the example from the text in the first post.

BGMFH
Firing around corners is a good idea, use a shotgun on FA. Mods wont matter too much then...

But, I'd give Attacking from Cover mods as well.
Shrike30
I might apply the same mods that spellcasters get casting through magesight or periscopes, which, IIRC, is a -2.

All other things aside, firing a gun around a corner is a bizarre way to use it, and ergonomically uncomfortable (the recoil doesn't go back into your body, you're probably twisting your wrist or elbow, etc). I don't have a serious problem applying a (fairly small) -2 to the check.
jklst14
Thanks everyone for their input. This helps a lot.

JKL
neko128
QUOTE (Shrike30)
I might apply the same mods that spellcasters get casting through magesight or periscopes, which, IIRC, is a -2.

All other things aside, firing a gun around a corner is a bizarre way to use it, and ergonomically uncomfortable (the recoil doesn't go back into your body, you're probably twisting your wrist or elbow, etc). I don't have a serious problem applying a (fairly small) -2 to the check.

On the contrary, I don't think it's bizarre at all. If I don't have to stick my head around a corner into oncoming bullets to return fire, well, I'd really rather not. smile.gif Why risk a head, when you can only risk a hand/forearm instead? ESPECIALLY if it's a cybered one?
Squinky
-2 seems fair, basically just negates the normal bonus from the smartlink.
hyzmarca
The ability to shoot around corners is one of the selling points of the Land Warrior system. It isn't bizzare at all.
eidolon
QUOTE (jklst14 @ quoting from the SR4 book)
The rulebook mentions that a smartlinked weapon is equiped with a camera and can be fired around corners (p. 312) 

Okay. Here's my logic on this one. The original Smartlink system provided its bonus by placing a targeting reticle in your field of vision to reflect where the muzzle of your weapon was pointing. This means that your field of vision was steady, while the reticle was mobile. This is why it gives you a bonus to hit things. You know exactly where your weapon is pointing.

Now, if you've got a camera mounted on the weapon (as part of the Smartlink system; more on why this is stupid in a bit), then ostensibly that camera is pointing where you point the weapon. Therefore, the field of vision provided by the camera is mobile, and the reticle would have to be fixed in that field of vision, since the reticle is pointed where the weapon is pointed, and the weapon is being aimed by looking through a camera that's mounted to it. Since this is no better than peering through any other fixed sighting system, it provides no more bonus that simply looking down the barrel would. Therefore, no Smartlink bonus.

This is a case of them trying too hard to make something cool. What they meant to get across is that guns can have a camera on them, that can be used to shoot around corners. Their mistake was trying to make it part of the Smartlink system.

In conclusion, I'd simply take away any bonuses provided by the Smartlink, and then add a situational mod for them shooting from a clumsy position.
Darkness
QUOTE (eidolon)

Now, if you've got a camera mounted on the weapon (as part of the Smartlink system; more on why this is stupid in a bit), then ostensibly that camera is pointing where you point the weapon.  Therefore, the field of vision provided by the camera is mobile, and the reticle would have to be fixed in that field of vision, since the reticle is pointed where the weapon is pointed, and the weapon is being aimed by looking through a camera that's mounted to it.  Since this is no better than peering through any other fixed sighting system, it provides no more bonus that simply looking down the barrel would.  Therefore, no Smartlink bonus. 

I have to disagree on this one. The Smartgun System incorporates also a range finder, and thus the target reticle wouldn't be fixed in the middle of the screen but more likely below or above the center depending on the distance of the target to the shooter. I even believe it will calculate the ballistical properties of the inserted ammunition, changing the position of the reticle even more so, optimizing your shooting performance.
You therefore have to aim higher or lower, as it should be, to hit the target where you want to, as the SG still calculates these factors in. It probably even (roughly) calculates the movement of the target by the changes of the range finder readings. Because this is only a rough calculation the SG "only" gives a +2 Mod.
All those things still apply if you point the gun around a corner. Only the more awkward hand position and the circumstance that you have to aim through an AR Window showing the SG camera picture should count. And for that a -1 is efficient enough IMHO.
Eddie Furious
One more thing I wouold like to add.

When firing around a corner one assumes an unusual posture and grip on the weapon, thus reducing the ability to ride out recoil and action of the weapon during the firing cycle, maybe we should also consider the effects of recoil as well?
eidolon
None of what you've said changes the fact that if both the weapon and the device providing a visual of the target are moving together, then there will be no accuracy gained by having a reticle at all. In fact, since your visual changes as you attempt to adjust aim, it's going to negatively impact your accuracy.

You can know the range and be using your favorite hand load, but looking through a camera while poking your weapon around a corner is not going to help your accuracy.

As to the rest of your post, you're not understanding the reasoning behind what I'm saying.

If the device collecting data to be translated into the location of the reticle within your field of vision, and the device providing that field of vision are moving in tandem, then the system is useless. I don't know how to explain it any better without drawing a picture. (Not sarcasm, btw. I honestly think I could show you easier visually.)
neko128
QUOTE (Eddie Furious)
One more thing I wouold like to add.

When firing around a corner one assumes an unusual posture and grip on the weapon, thus reducing the ability to ride out recoil and action of the weapon during the firing cycle, maybe we should also consider the effects of recoil as well?

Well, there's already a recoil modifier, and shooting around a corner would make it impossible to use many forms of recoil compensation. Based on that, I wouldn't apply any additional penalties, myself.
mfb
QUOTE (eidolon)
Since this is no better than peering through any other fixed sighting system, it provides no more bonus that simply looking down the barrel would.

i disagree, partly because i see the smartlink as telling you not where your barrel is pointed, but where your bullet is going--subtle but important difference, especially at longer ranges.that's a hell of a lot better than trying to use iron sights though a camera, though you do have a point in that it wouldn't be as useful as if you were using your own sensorium to aim. i'd halve the SL bonus.

it's also partly because if you're using a firearm correctly, your weapon and your field of vision are supposed to be locked together. your gun should, ideally, be pointed wherever you're looking. straying from that is going to be a detriment to your aim.
neko128
QUOTE (mfb)
it's also partly because if you're using a firearm correctly, your weapon and your field of vision are supposed to be locked together. your gun should, ideally, be pointed wherever you're looking. straying from that is going to be a detriment to your aim.

I hate to do this, but I'm going to modify your statement a bit: "if you're using a firearm correctly BY MODERN STANDARDS, your weapon and your field of vision..." A significant part of this is that it's much harder to judge where the weapon is going if it's not linked to your frame of reference. The entire point of a Smartlink is that it tells you EXACTLY where the bullet is going, so linking it to your frame of reference isn't necessary to accurately aim any more.
eidolon
Disagree all you like. It's a free 'net. (so far anyway)

I reread the SR3 and SR4 entries (main book and sources), and I see nothing that indicates that the SL system turns your weapon into some magic-missile of hot lead. All I see is confirmation after confirmation that it shows where your weapon is pointed, and if equipped with a rangefinder (an add-on in SR3, standard issue in SR4) tells you how far away the target is. These translate as a targetting reticle that grants a modifier making it easier to hit your target. Not a given that you're going to put a bullet in that exact spot, a modifier to how good your chance is of doing so.
Krotiez
QUOTE (SR4 @ pg. 323)

Smartlink: This accessory interacts with a smartgun system (p. 311) to project the weapon's angle of fire into the user's vision, centering red crosshairs where the user is pointing and highlighting preceived targets. The smartgun's laser rangefinder also calculates and displays the distance to the target. Additional data from the weapon, such as the ammunition level, heat buildup, and stress can also be displayed. Requires an image link.

Hmm.

QUOTE (SR4 @ pg. 311)

Smartgun System: The smartgun system connects a firearm or projectile weapon directly into a user's smartlink (see p. 323). It incorporates a laser range finder and a small camera, and keeps track of ammunition, heat buildup, and material stress. It allows a smartlinked character to mentally switch between gun modes, eject clips, and fire the gun without pulling the trigger. The camera allows for targeted shooting around corners, without exposing oneself to return fire.
    The system makes use of advanced calculation software, allowing the user to aim even weapons with a high ballistic firing arc (like grenades) with tremendous precision over any distance...

I cut that off early to save room.

Just typing out what the book says, I don't have a dog in this fight.

[edit: fixed typos]
Chaos Kingpin
This helps, but still does not conclude anything.

It says that it shows you the correct trajectory, and line of fire and all that, right? But that is when you are looking at the physical target with your own two eyes.

I agree with the narrow feild of vision mentioned above. You are no longer looking at a target while using the smartgun's visual overlays, but hiding behind a corner using only the guns one eye. Not only is this a more narrow field of vision, but when seeing out of only one eye (or a camera lens) you lose a large amount of you depth perception...

Also, I would think that whatever you are looking at on the safe side of the wall would be a distraction, perhaps similar to when a hacker is trying to hack in AR in the miiddle of a fight.
Shrike30
Speaking as a guy who does a decent amount of shooting in real life, there's a few comfortable positions to hold a firearm in, and an infinite variety of uncomfortable ones. If you're sticking your hand around a corner with enough of a bend at the wrist that the rest of your body is protected, regardless of whether you're using a pistol or a long gun, you've just assumed one of the oddball positions that trained shooters don't use, because it doesn't let them actually aim at the target and the weapon is largely unsupported in a body-ergonomics kind of way.

The laser sight puts a dot of light where the gun is pointed, theoretically helping your aim (hence, the +1). The smartgun link, asides from the whole camera-around-a-corner bit, DNI control of the piece, and the fact that it takes range-to-target into consideration for ballistic arc, is basically doing the same thing but with the dot much easier to see and inside your eyeball. Shooting it normally, you're going to be used to seeing a reticle on your vision, which would help some when using the sights on the weapon and help more if you're firing from the hip or off the shoulder, but when you get down to the point where you're looking at a little screen in your field of view and moving a crosshair around by manipulating your weapon at an odd angle, you're doing something which is totally unlike the motions you go through for any kind of a "normal" shot. Giving out a -2 for the sheer awkwardness involved really doesn't seem that "out there."

As for whether or not this concept is bizarre... some snipers in WWI used periscope-equipped rifles for firing from trenches. You can even buy a periscope sight for a pistol now that uses a little screen rather than just pure optical reflection, and has a stock built in so that you can shoulder it and use it more comfortably around the corner. And you know what? Neither of them is a common sight by any means, mostly because people don't want to bother, and find them much harder to use than a conventional shooting position, added exposure or not. I think that safely bumps them into the "bizarre" range.
eidolon
QUOTE (Shrike30)
but when you get down to the point where you're looking at a little screen in your field of view and moving a crosshair around by manipulating your weapon at an odd angle, you're doing something which is totally unlike the motions you go through for any kind of a "normal" shot. Giving out a -2 for the sheer awkwardness involved really doesn't seem that "out there."

I agree with your overall take on this, but I'd like to point out the following.

"you're looking at a little screen in your field of view and moving a crosshair around"

Therin lies the fault. You aren't moving the crosshair around in a little (fixed) field of view, you're moving a little field of view and the crosshair that happens to be in it.
Magus
My Take on the new smartgun mod is based on the Land Warrior setup. Have you ever played Ghost Recon 2 on the XBOX? In the single warrior scenario you are using the Land Warrior mod/simulations that are in practice at Aberdeen Proving Grounds. The camera on the gun leads to optical visor via a Optical Cable. With this system you can kneel or lay down and shoot around the corner as long as the weapon system can fit there. The weapon system has more recoil bonuses on it to absorb the shock as you are holding it by the stock and on the barrel grips. You see through the camera with a rangefinder attached and are able to "lock" on a specific range to fire linked grenades. Also you do get an aiming reticle that is fixed. Wherever the reticle is placed rounds fly down range.
Shrike30
QUOTE (eidolon)
You aren't moving the crosshair around in a little (fixed) field of view, you're moving a little field of view and the crosshair that happens to be in it.

This is true. I should have phrased it differently.
eidolon
QUOTE (Magus)
Ghost Recon 2 on the XBOX
You see through the camera with a rangefinder attached and are able to "lock" on a specific range to fire linked grenades.

That is a video game. I play video games in which I can rain down meteors and glaciers on my enemy. None of this changes the way the SL system works.
Magus
QUOTE (eidolon)
QUOTE (Magus)
Ghost Recon 2 on the XBOX
You see through the camera with a rangefinder attached and are able to "lock" on a specific range to fire linked grenades.

That is a video game. I play video games in which I can rain down meteors and glaciers on my enemy. None of this changes the way the SL system works.

That is true but with the simulators we played with in the Army for some testing on this subject it is pretty damn accurate.
Shrike30
Is it nearly as fast or as easy as, say, firing from the shoulder with the iron sights?
Galmorez
Smartlink is a vision mod now, and all smartgun cameras support all vision mods. So be sure to have smartlink in your eyes and your guns for +4 dice. ohplease.gif
mfb
eidolon, you may want to re-read the SL fluff in SR4. it specifically states that the SL calculates ballistic firing arcs. that's a lot more than simply showing you where your gun is pointed.

QUOTE (neko128)
The entire point of a Smartlink is that it tells you EXACTLY where the bullet is going, so linking it to your frame of reference isn't necessary to accurately aim any more.

at very close range, maybe. beyond that, your vision isn't going to be clear enough outside your point of focus to be able to aim accurately, no matter how much information your SL feeds you--your target will be too blurry to see. and besides, seriously, there's no way in hell you're going to be able to move your weapon faster than you can move your eyes. unless you're doing some kind of trick shot, you're always going to be centering your target in your field of vision before you shoot them.
Azralon
I think I'd like my smartlink to not paint a 2d reticle floating over the intended destination, but instead to paint a 3d ballistic arc in my field of vision that describes the estimated computed trajectory of the next round I fire.

Kind of like a laser sight that takes gravity, slug spin, ambient air temperature, and whatnot all into consideration to show me the likely path of the bullet rather than just a dot near where it's going to hit.

Ya hear that, gods of future technology? Give me that. And self-heating burritos.
runefire32
Lets take this strictly by the rules and not make any real life inferences.

You are firing from cover -1 penalty.

You have a smartlinked weapon +2 bonus.

Total of +1.

The smartlink allows you to fire the weapon out of cover without exposing yourself, giving you total cover(assuming the cover you're in provides it).

Thats how the rules work as is. You get the bonus because you have a smartlinked weapon. There is nothing to say that because you're in a odd position you don't get the bonus or because you can not directly see you don't get the bonus for having the smartlink.

Anything beyond the above would be a houserule.
Eddie Furious
QUOTE (runefire32 @ Feb 10 2006, 02:58 PM)

You are firing from cover -1 penalty.

You have a smartlinked weapon +2 bonus.

Total of +1.

The smartlink allows you to fire the weapon out of cover without exposing yourself, giving you total cover(assuming the cover you're in provides it).

Thats how the rules work as is.  You get the bonus because you have a smartlinked weapon.  There is nothing to say that because you're in a odd position you don't get the bonus or because you can not directly see you don't get the bonus for having the smartlink.

Anything beyond the above would be a houserule.

You forgot recoil and lighting modifiers.
nyahnyah.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (mfb)
eidolon, you may want to re-read the SL fluff in SR4. it specifically states that the SL calculates ballistic firing arcs. that's a lot more than simply showing you where your gun is pointed.

QUOTE (neko128)
The entire point of a Smartlink is that it tells you EXACTLY where the bullet is going, so linking it to your frame of reference isn't necessary to accurately aim any more.

at very close range, maybe. beyond that, your vision isn't going to be clear enough outside your point of focus to be able to aim accurately, no matter how much information your SL feeds you--your target will be too blurry to see. and besides, seriously, there's no way in hell you're going to be able to move your weapon faster than you can move your eyes. unless you're doing some kind of trick shot, you're always going to be centering your target in your field of vision before you shoot them.

That why you replace your field of vidion with realtime video from the guncam. I'd assume that this would require an image link.
eidolon
QUOTE (runefire32)
<snip>

Point being, the rules are ... lacking. Hence the question having been asked in the first place.

QUOTE (mfb)

Right on, thanks. It is indeed a bit better than "gun pointing", but that doesn't change the most basic reasoning behind why I'm saying that the SL isn't going to provide those bonuses when you are looking through a camera mounted on the weapon. So here the fluff really is just fluff. You might be able to come up with some other situation in which there's a difference between "gun pointing" and "ballistic arc", but mechanically and physically, shooting around a corner is not that situation.

QUOTE (hyzmarka)
That why you replace your field of vidion with realtime video from the guncam. I'd assume that this would require an image link.

That's what we've been discussing the whole time. wink.gif See my other posts for why this wouldn't confer the bonus.
runefire32
Point being, the rules are ... lacking. Hence the question having been asked in the first place.

Wait you mean the rules do not cover every situation 100% realisticaly *GASP* The horror. Oh Noes what will we do now...

So your main contention is that you're going to be holding the gun in a awkward position and won't be lookign down the barrel therefore would not get the bonus. But I'd argue that you are getting the feed from the smartlink so can easily see, and secondly, thats what the -1 penalty for attacking from cover is for. To represent the uncomfterable position you're firing it from. So we've got the bonus' of being able to see, the calculations the smartlink does for you and...modifiers to represent the uncomfterable position you're firing it from.

Depending on the cover its quite easily possible to fire around it (assuming smartlink) without exposing yourself, but still staying in a rather comfterable supported position (when you don't have to get your head around to look where you're shooting its alot easier).

So really I don't see why we need to impose extra modifiers here, when everything is already covered in the rules.
eidolon
QUOTE (runefire32)
Wait you mean the rules do not cover every situation 100% realisticaly *GASP* The horror. Oh Noes what will we do now...

I don't know. Oh wait. Yes I do.

We'll read the entire thread, carefully, so that we'll know who started it, who asked what questions, and why people are posting what they're posting.

I even know why we'll do it. To keep from looking like a jackass.

On to the rest of your post:

So your main contention is that you're going to be holding the gun in a awkward position and won't be lookign down the barrel therefore would not get the bonus.

No. My contention is that you won't get the bonus that a SL system normally grants you. If you really want to know why this is my contention, stop being lazy and read the thread.

But I'd argue that you are getting the feed from the smartlink so can easily see,

Right. You can see. Not the point at all. Read the thread? Next,

thats what the -1 penalty for attacking from cover is for.  To represent the uncomfterable position you're firing it from.

QUOTE (eidolon)
In conclusion, I'd simply take away any bonuses provided by the Smartlink, and then add a situational mod for them shooting from a clumsy position.

Sounds a lot like that -1 for shooting from cover that reflects your clumsy position, doesn't it? That's from my second post (first real post) to this thread. I guess you'd know that if you had read the thread. Go figure.

Depending on the cover its quite easily possible to fire around it (assuming smartlink) without exposing yourself, but still staying in a rather comfterable supported position (when you don't have to get your head around to look where you're shooting its alot easier).

Have a lot of experience in shooting from various awkward positions do you? If you can shoot around cover, you can be shot. You cannot fire without exposing yourself at least partially, even with a "smartlink". The rules don't have a hit location chart, but I'm fairly certain that they have a cover modifier that applies to an enemy's ability to hit you, right? That means you can still be hit.

As to "not having to get your head around to look where you're shooting", see the rest of this thread to find out what we're actually discussing.

Try again.

runefire32
Woo...horray for flamewars...

Did read the thread, did read your horrible posts, and in my opinion completely silly conclusions.

Yup the -1 would be for awkward positions or whatever you want to call it.

And yes I have plenty of experiance shooting out of cover from awkward positions such as laying on my back, leaning around corners, leaning at a odd angle to get a shot. Playing airsoft competitively will give you that. Hunting will give you that.

Technicaly yes you're going to expose a small sliver of your body almost 100% of the time when fireing from cover even if you're using the smartlink...afterall you have your hands. But luckaly the rules and most competent GM's aren't that rediculouse.

Oh yes i got your pov slightly confused with someone elses. However your idea is flawed a great deal in my opininon. Your contention, if I have reread it correctly and feel free to correct me instead of acting ignorant again, is that, because the device collecting data and the device displaying the data move in tandem it would not provide you any assistance in aiming, no more so than your standard sight.

The silly part of your thoughts is that if you're not using the camera feed and the reticle moves about in your field of vision it would give you the bonus because its somehow superior, yet really doesn't do much for you either.

The bonus from the smartgun doesn't just come from the site. It comes from the calculations, and the fact the site is BETTER than looking down any iron sights or scope, because its exactly where the barrel is. Ironsights change depending on where your head is in them (angle of viewing atleast). So with a smartlink, even on a camera feed, you still see exactly where that barrel is pointed and will hit assuming ideal conditions for firing no matter which way your head is pointing and which way your facing.

Lets assume for a moment you're correct ( i don't believe you are because the idea is silly at best ) that the movement of both reciever and collector negate the bonus. So what would happen if i didn't move my head while orienting the weapon to fire from cover without exposing myself? only one of the two would be moving. Furthered by closing the other eye to make sure the smartlink is all i see. And if needed orienting my head in the direction of where the gun is pointed. I see no reason not to give the smartlink bonus there.
eidolon
QUOTE (runefire32)
Technicaly yes you're going to expose a small sliver of your body almost 100% of the time when fireing from cover even if you're using the smartlink...afterall you have your hands. But luckaly the rules and most competent GM's aren't that rediculouse.

My point in that bit was that the rules do account for you being behind cover, when you are the attacker and when you're being attacked. You're behind cover? Hard to shoot. You're behind cover? Hard to hit you. Funny, I don't find that ridiculous at all. It's also beside my actual, original point.

Now, I'm going to go out of order here a bit. Apologies for jumbling things this way:

The silly part of your thoughts is that if you're not using the camera feed and the reticle moves about in your field of vision it would give you the bonus because its somehow superior, yet really doesn't do much for you either.

Actually, that's specifically how the system provides you the bonus. The reticle (and yes, any amplifying data) move about in your "fixed" field of vision, displaying the location where your round is most likely to impact. Placing the reticle over the target you intend to hit is therefore assumed to aid your shot. Hence a bonus. You're shooting yourself in the foot here (pardon the pun).

Lets assume for a moment you're correct ( i don't believe you are because the idea is silly at best ) that the movement of both reciever and collector negate the bonus. So what would happen if i didn't move my head while orienting the weapon to fire from cover without exposing myself? only one of the two would be moving.

You're not getting something here. I never said that your head was moving. In fact, it has been my basic assumption through all of this that it doesn't matter if you nod or headbang, because the image you're looking at is being provided by a camera on the weapon that's feeding into an imagelink. The two things that are being moved in tandem are the smarlink's weapon-side component (that's gathering all of the ballistics data as well as registering the angle and direction of muzzle) and the device providing the image/view (the camera that is now part of a smartgun system).

Take your left hand and hold it out flat, perpendicular to the floor. Now take your right index finger and place the tip of it in the center of your palm. Your index finger represents the targeting reticle (which represents your aim) and your palm represents your normal field of vision. Pretend your target is moving around your palm. Awesome, you can follow that easily with your smartlinked index finger.

Now, hold your index finger in the center of your palm, but this time, move your palm and index finger around in circles, keeping your index finger in the center of your palm. That's what is happening when you try to look through the guncam and target with the smartlink system.

Your contention, if I have reread it correctly and feel free to correct me instead of acting ignorant again, is that, because the device collecting data and the device displaying the data move in tandem it would not provide you any assistance in aiming, no more so than your standard sight.

I'm tired of typing the same thing over and over. Reference my other posts if you still don't understand what I'm saying.

Disagreeing with me is fine, but unless you can do it clearly, and provide countering evidence presented in a logical manner, it's really not a conversation worth pursuing.

Your idea of countering my reasoning (whether my reasoning is wholly accurate or not) is, while not displaying any iota of understanding regarding what I've presented, calling me ignorant, which I obviously am not, and then refuting my ideas by simply saying that they're silly.

And if this is a flame war, it's rather one-sided. All I've done was argue my case.
hobgoblin
and ghost recon is from red storm (iirc), the company started by tom clancy. alltho im not so sure i like his fictional works, he seems to be up to speed on the technology of war, and this have rubbed of on the company. ie, they make sure that the technology turns out as realistic as they an make it (one shot kills and all).
mfb
QUOTE (eidolon)
You might be able to come up with some other situation in which there's a difference between "gun pointing" and "ballistic arc", but mechanically and physically, shooting around a corner is not that situation.

i can agree to disagree on that. what i can't agree to disagree on is that a smartlink, when used through a guncam, isn't a thousand times better for ease and speed of aiming than plain old iron sights. you're saying that a smartlink in this situation is really no better than a laser sight; i would, therefore, at least give the smartlink in this situation the same bonus a laser sight gives.
eidolon
Hmm. I can see your point on that one, but I honestly just can't see any aiming aid really doing that much for you when the entire field of vision and everything in it is wobbling.

Honestly, I think it's quite enough that you can even take the shot "around a corner". Tech granting that is pretty sweet, admittedly. I just don't think there's anything that would negate the fact that your whole world shifts as you try to change your aim. Although perhaps slightly better due to a larger field of vision, I imagine this to be much like trying to acquire a target in a scope, not having seen the target before you began trying to acquire it. Your field shifts so rapidly that it's hard to move "just enough".

Also, all of that ballistic information and targeting assistance is given based on where you're aiming the weapon, right? What I mean is in order for it to judge range (and all that other stuff), it has to "know" what it is that it's supposed to be judging the range to. It knows this based on the general target at which you're pointing the weapon (and its various data-collection devices). In other words, the reticle (and targeting data) relies on you pointing the weapon at the target in the first place. It's not some magic process by which the smartlink picks out a target and drags your arms and weapon into position to hit it. You pick a target, you aim, and it puts a reticle where the round is most likely to hit based on the data that it is able to collect.

Hmm again. actually, based on that and some rethinking that typing it out caused me to do, I might allow the SL bonus. Perhaps to reflect that although once you have a bead on your target the SL is doing its job, it's harder to acquire the target through a camera? Then just slap on a penalty for having to try and acquire a target through a camera? smile.gif

But hey, at least you're responding in sentences, and have actually read and thought about the posts in the thread. Yours is a disagreement that I can respect.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012