Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for Ghostwalker info
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
khazad
I recently aquired Dragons of the 6th World after having been out of SR for several years. I've got Dunkelzahn's Will (otherwise known as Portfolio of a Dragon), so I know about the Astral Rift created by his death. From what I'm reading in the Dragons of the 6th World, Ghostwalker came out of that rift and essentially claimed Denver as his own turf.

I'm assuming this was probably covered a bit more in depth in a sourcebook/adventure/novel, but so far I haven't been able to figure out which one. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

-Dwarf
SL James
Year of the Comet
MK Ultra
SL James is right, and youd probably find the most exhaustive info on him there besids dot6w.

If you´rstill looking for more, you´d find bits and pieces in Shadows of North America and in the Survival of the Fittest champaign.
eidolon
Yup, YotC. And I highly recommend it. It's a great read, even if you're not running it specifically.
MK Ultra
second that! I never found the time to set a game in 61/62 but it was realy fun to read anyway. Than again, i´m reading sb 6 adventure moduls from different rpg´s just like other people would read novels.

And since I´ve got a flatrate, I´m surfing forums like others watch tv I´m afraid. I digressed, but YOTC is really recomandable smile.gif .

Edit: I´ll go offline now, and get my ling depraved fix of southpark now, and than a dose of sleap, I guess.
Beaumis
If you want deep backround, you might wanna check out The Ancient Files. If that aint enough for you, I can give you some of the ED Backround as well.
eidolon
The campaign I'm running right now is YotC based. They started out by planting evidence that got Novatech's Lead Telemetry Control Technician arrested on charges of corporate espionage.

What they don't know, is that due to their actions, the Whipple will go off course and fail to reach the comet. (The guy that contracted the job was number two in line on the project, and he's secretly working for Ares from the inside. biggrin.gif)

Lots of awesome stuff to have the runners do.
khazad
Thanks for the Ancient Files link Beaumis. I've spent most of the day perusing it and so far have only scratched the surface. Definately gives me some ideas on what books I need to complete my 'collection'. smile.gif

-Dwarf
Ancient History
Heh.
PBTHHHHT
Ya feeling all warm and fuzzy, Ancient? smile.gif
Ancient History
Only when I can finally finish these verdamnt updates...
Beaumis
Ancient files are among the best of RPG online resources I've ever seen. Keep that going. wink.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (eidolon)
What they don't know, is that due to their actions, the Whipple will go off course and fail to reach the comet. (The guy that contracted the job was number two in line on the project, and he's secretly working for Ares from the inside. biggrin.gif)

Make sure the runners get to know this.
MK Ultra
Do your players ever get the story without free tickets? Maybe I´m just giving to little hints (to little pc experiance I guess).

Off topic:
BTW, didn´t get much sleap after my southpark, ´cause I stumbled acros the super bowl cool.gif . Sad the Seahawks didn´t make it frown.gif , had a good start. Ducks to escape beating by cybered steelers fans rollin.gif
Aku
MK Ultra Walks into a darkened room..

<purrsht, click, clack BRRREWP....>
MK Ultra
All of my chars got IR-cybereyes! nyahnyah.gif
eidolon
QUOTE (Grinder @ Feb 6 2006, 04:04 AM)
QUOTE (eidolon @ Feb 6 2006, 01:36 AM)
What they don't know, is that due to their actions, the Whipple will go off course and fail to reach the comet.  (The guy that contracted the job was number two in line on the project, and he's secretly working for Ares from the inside. biggrin.gif)

Make sure the runners get to know this.

They already know that he has stepped into position as Lead Technician. It was all over the news.

[ Spoiler ]

QUOTE (MK Ultra)
Do your players ever get the story without free tickets? Maybe I´m just giving to little hints (to little pc experiance I guess).

I'm trying to get them off their collective duffs and doing some actual work. To me, a huge part of SR is trying to put the pieces together. As a runner, why would you have access to any "real" information? How can you be a temporary and deniable asset if you know everything?

Too many games of late (read: in which I was a player) involved the old "you're in too deep, sorry bout that, guess it's time to become a corp or syndicate stooge" routine, simply because the idea was to tell the story (although very well, and not in a railroading fashion at all), because of trying to "involve" the characters too much too soon. My GMing focus is the players/characters.

This game is being run as if it were these character's real lives. Sure, it's the Year of the Comet, but they're just people. (That happen to get randomly involved with tons of comet-related work, but hey, in 2061, it's all comet related. smile.gif) They haven't chased down the info, and the Johnsons and Fixers aren't giving it away for free. When the characters start getting nosy, they'll find out the whys and the whos. Until then, they know what they see.
khazad
OK, kinda but sorta not really along the lines of the original question, is there a website or resource anywhere that collects info on the various Personalities (with a capital P) that 'post' in the various sourcebooks?

I know a number of them are supposedly legendary names in the Shadowrun world (Fastjack, Steel Lynx, Hatchetman, Nightfire to name a few), but it's difficult to figure out much of their stories from the books I've got (Hatchetman was handled in Cybertechnology, but the rest are a lot more vague).

I did check the Ancient History, but the closest I could come there was the list of Great Dragons and Immortal Elves.

-Dwarf
Platinum
QUOTE (khazad)
OK, kinda but sorta not really along the lines of the original question, is there a website or resource anywhere that collects info on the various Personalities (with a capital P) that 'post' in the various sourcebooks?

I know a number of them are supposedly legendary names in the Shadowrun world (Fastjack, Steel Lynx, Hatchetman, Nightfire to name a few), but it's difficult to figure out much of their stories from the books I've got (Hatchetman was handled in Cybertechnology, but the rest are a lot more vague).

I did check the Ancient History, but the closest I could come there was the list of Great Dragons and Immortal Elves.

-Dwarf

If this was done anywhere ... it should be done on the Shadowrun Wiki under personalities or something.
fistandantilus4.0
If you want to know the details of GW's return, pick up the novel The Burning Time by Steve Kenson.
Ancient History
What are you on, 3.0? It might be tangentially related, but, and I feel I must pop this bubble for the rest of you...

...TALON DID NOT BRING BACK GHOSTWALKER.
Beaumis
About the famous runners, they are supposed to be enigmas. People like fastjack never appeared in any book for a reason. The only places they used to appear in was the runner talk they used to have un sourcebooks in 2nd ED when they started to give the books a shadowland flavor. (Basically every book had it except the primary rule concered ones.)

If there is info to gather, it is not much. I recall legends about Fastjack beeing a former member of echo mirrage. I also know that severall statements from Shadowtech, Fields of Fire and I believe cybertechnology suggest that he is a "pure" decker, as in, not really running the shadows. He's a king in the matrix but he never actually goes out to get in the thick. (Multiple comments in the former mentioned books suggest that he has no cyberware beyond matrixware and little to no bioware. They also suggest he is not too fond of guns.)

Hangfire, I cant recall exactly if it was him, but I do remeber an argument between him and the neon samurai (I believe in fields of fire, on the page with the Ares Laser) about the murder or Neons father. The basic story was that Neon claims that Ares killed his father and Hangfire uploaded a video showing Neon killing him. This would suggest he works for Ares.

An always welcome commentaor was Winter Rat, who is not a runner but works for Winter Systems.

I know Steel Lynx does have info somewhere, but I cannot recall where I read it. Im pretty sure he was an average samurai.

Other people of note would be Captain Chaos who basically runs shadowland and is a close friend of Hatchetman.
Of course the crowd around Twist, but I dont think I need to tell anybody about those.

Then there would be Argent and the wrecking crew, you can read about them in several novels (2XS & The one with Rick Larson undercover, cant recall the title). Ignore anything that makes mention of them and doesnt have Nigel Findley on its cover. Some other guy used Argent as a character in one of his novels and poor Nigel would turn in his grave if he knew.

That's all that comes to mind right now.

@Ancient. Your damn right he didnt. And Talon is by definition one of the shadowrun unwortiest characters around.
MK Ultra
Well Fast Jack actually does apear in a short story presented in way into the shadows!

EDIT: Allso, ther is info on him in Target Matrix.
SL James
As far as I know/am concerned Fastjack was Tom Dowd's baby, but Nigel Findley made him the uber-decker he is now through various things he wrote about Fastjack in First and early Second Edition sourcebooks - specifically NAN vol. 1 and culminating in the Nexus chapter of the Denver boxed set. Even though there was an entry for him in Target: Matrix, the only person who really did him justice to what Findley built up was Dave Hyatt's writing of the cybercombat with the Banded in Shutdown.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Feb 8 2006, 07:52 AM)
What are you on, 3.0? It might be tangentially related, but, and I feel I must pop this bubble for the rest of you...

...TALON DID NOT BRING BACK GHOSTWALKER.

sorry, didn't see this post before. AH, I didn't say he did, just bringing it up because it happened in the same book. I'd only seen the reference somewhere, then picked up the book myself to see. It was interesting, but as you said, it happened in the book, but nothing says Talon did it.

Beaumis: I believe it was Nightfire, the Ares company man, not Hangfire.
spotlite
jusr for anyone perusing this - iirc without the books - ghostwalker shows up on the 60th anniversary of the awakening (that's the 'official' anniversary of Christmas Eve, Century Ferrets and spike babies notwithstanding).

And he's godammed pissed off.
SL James
50th Anniversary.

And, yes, Nightfire is the one Neon Samurai has an argument with in FoF. Fastjack outed him as an Ares company man decker in SSC after his second or third post. And then there's the fact that he "wrote" the Company Man subchapter in Corporate Download.

I don't blame Jak Koke for this (he was just the messenger), but the Rift was in the middle of Virginia Ave. in Washington. The problem is that he should have never been on Virginia. Given the timeline, it should have been beneath the Watergate or near the underground entrance next to the Kennedy Center and Saudi embassy. However, having to work with what SK wrote in Dunk's Will, this huge astral disturbance is basically in the middle of a major thoroughfare where people would have been standing near the intersection of Virginia an New Hampshire avenues in the "park" across the street from the Watergate next to the HoJo (well, it's still a HoJo in Stranger Souls, anyway) and milling around the area next to the statue of Benito Juarez. Once he emerged, GW would have probably circled around the Watergate and shot off like a bat from hell westward towards Denver.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012