Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wow, that elve babeīs hot!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
MK Ultra
So inspired by emo samurai and hyzmarca, should ther be mechanical dv modifires of fire damage based on the metatype?

Edit: Oh, Iīve probably forgotten to put a "wonky" icon on this post, itīs not supposed to be entirely serious embarrassed.gif .
Lagomorph
My opinion is that they all burn great when enough fuel and tempurature is applied.
FrankTrollman
No there should not. Metahumans with higher volume to surface area ratios will be exposed to less fire, but they will also have more inherent difficulty managing heat to begin with. This will result in more circumferential burns for smaller metatypes and more internal fever-related injury for larger metatypes and I don't care!

That kind of medical exactness is unwarranted in a game as realtively "cinematic" (which means "in-exact") as Shadowrun.

-Frank
nezumi
(As an aside, since I understand English is MKUltra's second language and not to berate him, but the singular of 'elves' is 'elf'. Just for future reference! Not to cause trouble!!)

I'd say there are three basic factors to consider when examining these things:
1) Ratio of lovely, burnable fat to the overall mass of wet, not so flammable body parts (I presume dwarves, humans or orks would do best in this area. Deckers, riggers and mages probably do better than street sams and adepts.)

2) Ratio of surface area to volume (this is what makes kindling burn better than thicker wood). Humans or dwarves would probably do best here. It would probably take some math to figure out which does better though.

3) Amusing antics the individual does whilst on fire. Trolls have the advantage of perhaps being able to run through walls, but the idea of a running, dwarf on fire just cracks me up. Look at this little legs run!! Haha, Redbeard is always good for a laugh. Even better when 'helpful' allies try to put out said dwarf by beating him against the wall. Sams have some chance of ammo cook-off. However, mages probably are most amusing, as they rarely have an 'extinguish self' spell on hand, and so are liable to try all sorts of crazy stuff to put themselves out, such as a fireball in a contained space, calling the air elemental to suffocate him, etc. As an aside, would being on fire preclude any exclusive actions?

So the best would be a dwarf shaman. I imagine this is part of why toaster shamans are so few and far between, but bring such great joy (and toasted bread products) during their life span.

(Also, why is this in the SR4 forum? Do characters burn differently in SR4? Is it more amusing or something?)
hyzmarca
In a more realistic system, yes, Although basing the modifiers on Body rather than metatype would be best. In SR4, it is too abstract. A high body character could by stout, muscular, athletic, or simply massive. A low body character could be flabby, anorexic, malnurished, or suffering from a chronic illness.

Since DV is also badstact, it prevents another problem. DV is too broad general for very percise modifiers to apply. If you have seperate damage tracks for seperate body parts as well as hit locations, it would be a different matter. As it is, modifing DV would have too much of an impact.

A more elegant solution for modeling the wick effect and similar phenomenon would be to modify the threshold for extinguishing the flames based on a ratio of STR to Body Mass Index.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Feb 6 2006, 04:13 PM)
No there should not. Metahumans with higher volume to surface area ratios will be exposed to less fire, but they will also have more inherent difficulty managing heat to begin with. This will result in more circumferential burns for smaller metatypes and more internal fever-related injury for larger metatypes and I don't care!

That kind of medical exactness is unwarranted in a game as realtively "cinematic" (which means "in-exact") as Shadowrun.

-Frank

so says the guy who has the conniptions concerning HMHVV(whatever) use on non-humans. you first demand that the other stuff be accurate and now say this shouldn't be? c'mon be consistent!

edit: I voted for burning dwarves. Nothing funnier than seeing a burning dwarf, and ye can still do tossing... eek.gif
stevebugge
I voted mages, just be cause that would allow cries of "Burn the mage First!"
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Feb 6 2006, 04:13 PM)

-Frank

so says the guy who has the conniptions concerning HMHVV(whatever) use on non-humans. you first demand that the other stuff be accurate and now say this shouldn't be? c'mon be consistent!

Oh, I'm quite consistent. I demand accuracy not exactitude. I'm perfectly happy to have things explained with hand waving alone. I don't need the game to ever explain what constitutes a million "pulses" of data, nor does it bother me over much if a chemical corrosive is simply "a corrosive" rather than even specifying whether it is an acid, a base, or even simply a solvent. I can fill in those details myself. Or not, as the plot requires.

Similarly, when someone is set on fire, they can jolly well take "damage" rather than have specific events follow them around. That sort of in-exactness is fine.

But if you're going to use science words, you should use them correctly. I'm fine with people having "a corrosive", but I'm not OK with people calling their corrosive "di-hydrogen monoxide."

-Frank
Azralon
So, which Metatype burns best?

I'll need the term "best" defined before I can answer with any accuracy.

Trolls will obviously burn the longest. That's a given.

I suspect elves will burn the fastest, as:

* Elves have no bonuses to Body. Neither do humans, but humans have an extra point of Edge to help keep them from burning in the first place.
* Low Body also means they're less likely to wear heavier armor, which means less (halved) Impact armor to burn through. Also they spent 30BP to be an elf, which means they're less likely to have the cash to spend on fire resistance for their lined coats.
* As elves are proportionately slimmer than any other race, they have a greater "surface area to body mass" ratio. Less tissue to burn through means quicker results.
* Elves typically have long hair. Many tend to like perfumes, flowy clothing, and/or makeup of some kind. All three of those things are typically combustible.
* Everyone knows to "geek the caster first," and since there are a zillion shamanic elves then it's good practice to Molotov the tall guy wearing feathers ASAP.

As far as whose burning is the most entertaining, I suspect that'd be dwarves. All of that body hair and high blood-alcohol levels are bound to make some pretty colors. Plus, it's fun to watch a stubby little guy flail around in panic.
Azralon
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Feb 6 2006, 05:48 PM)
I'm fine with people having "a corrosive", but I'm not OK with people calling their corrosive "di-hydrogen monoxide."

Heh.

So that'd be an inhalation vector toxin, but harmless when delivered via contact or ingestion. Extremely low street price, too.
MK Ultra
QUOTE (nezumi @ Feb 6 2006, 04:19 PM)
(As an aside, since I understand English is MKUltra's second language and not to berate him, but the singular of 'elves' is 'elf'.  Just for future reference!  Not to cause trouble!!)

(Also, why is this in the SR4 forum?  Do characters burn differently in SR4?  Is it more amusing or something?)

1. Thanks, I do not care much about spelling, as one might guess with a look at my posts, but correction is still appreciated. Just donīt expect to see much improvement frown.gif

2. Probably because there are already SR3 rules for people on fire (arnīt there?), though without metatyp-modifires.

Edit: @ Azralon
I allso like to burn elves, since thair population is highest among the pcīs in my group, which tends to get on my nerves a bit.
Iīd allso agree, that burning dwarfs are probably the most funy to watch. This was true in my last champain at least, since the dwarf got hit hardest by the fire elemental and was the only one to botch his will roll, so he went running around the park screaming in panic, while the ork simply tryed to put the flames on his jacket out. The elf had to run after the dwarf to extinguish him. extinguish.gif
Brahm
QUOTE (Azralon)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Feb 6 2006, 05:48 PM)
I'm fine with people having "a corrosive", but I'm not OK with people calling their corrosive "di-hydrogen monoxide."

Heh.

So that'd be an inhalation vector toxin, but harmless when delivered via contact or ingestion. Extremely low street price, too.

Accelerated rate contact exposure can be harmful, especially at temperatures below 0 Celsius. Prolonged contact exposure call also be harmful at temperatures exceeding approximately 80 Celsius or below approximately 5 Celsius.
stevebugge
QUOTE (nezumi)
(Also, why is this in the SR4 forum? Do characters burn differently in SR4? Is it more amusing or something?)

Everything works differently in SR4, hence all the consternation biggrin.gif

As for burning metatypes, any that follow the 'Wicca' magic tradition will burn superiorly to those that do not.
Ophis
Dwarves, yep they burn best.
Its the beards see, they act as kindling.
And they tend to have higher body fat, because the only fat characters I've ever seen are dwarves.
This adds up to my vote going to dwarves.
Shrike30
Humans will burn best. See, dwarves are shorter, stockier, and more muscular. Elves are tall but skinny, so there's not a lot of fuel involved. Orks are bigger than humans, but there's a *lot* of muscle packed onto that frame, which doesn't burn as well as fat. Trolls are kind of the same, except they've also got that really gnarly heavy hide, and hide isn't the most flammable of things ever.

Humans would totally burn the best.
warrior_allanon
mages, (and shamans, especially berserk wolf shamans) burn best, especially when engulfed by a fire elemental that sets off all four white phosphorus grenades and Ex-explosive ammo on the character.

(Gm offered to let me roll body to resist and i said "Why bother, he's dead after the second grenade anyway."
JongWK
I was lured to this thread by all the wrong reasons the title could suggest. silly.gif
neko128
I find it really amusing that mages outnumber all the other options.

Of course, I voted mage too. But it still amuses me.
Kerberos
QUOTE (neko128)

Of course, I voted mage too. But it still amuses me.

It's a fundamental truth of message board poles that the most amusing option gets the most votes, whether or not it actuially reflects the opinions of the poled.
Critias
QUOTE (stevebugge)
As for burning metatypes, any that follow the 'Wicca' magic tradition will burn superiorly to those that do not.

It's tradition!
neko128
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Feb 6 2006, 05:17 PM)

It's tradition!

But only if they float...
Azralon
Yes, but what else floats in water? Apart from Wiccans.

(It was just a matter of time.)
BishopMcQ
Little pebbles....wood...
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Kerberos)
QUOTE (neko128 @ Feb 6 2006, 11:07 PM)

Of course, I voted mage too.  But it still amuses me.

It's a fundamental truth of message board poles that the most amusing option gets the most votes, whether or not it actuially reflects the opinions of the poled.

And the fact that the most amusing option also corresponds to the opinions of "All metatypes should burn equally well" and "It's a game and I don't actually care which metatypes burn hotter," both of which are themselves common opinions, gives this one a lock.

So a couple of common opinions, plus the class clown vote all go into one pile. That gives it the win. Or is the "teh win?"

-Frank
stevebugge
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (Kerberos @ Feb 7 2006, 03:49 AM)
QUOTE (neko128 @ Feb 6 2006, 11:07 PM)

Of course, I voted mage too.  But it still amuses me.

And the fact that the most amusing option also corresponds to the opinions of "All metatypes should burn equally well" and "It's a game and I don't actually care which metatypes burn hotter," both of which are themselves common opinions, gives this one a lock.

So a couple of common opinions, plus the class clown vote all go into one pile. That gives it the win. Or is the "teh win?"

-Frank

I think it would be:

Teh 6 T0ta11y Pwned!!
Churl Beck
Dwarves, assuming they have the most body hair.
MK Ultra
QUOTE (Azralon)

Ehr, shit, shit always swims on the top!

(just a look at the Azi Board, and most runners will second that wink.gif )
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Azralon)

Ivory soap.
emo samurai

Ivory soap.

That, and soap made from human fat. Beautiful, flammable human fat.
September
Humans burn fastest. They're just not special enough.
emo samurai
Unless they get abnormally lucky, as they are wont to do.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
But if you're going to use science words, you should use them correctly. I'm fine with people having "a corrosive", but I'm not OK with people calling their corrosive "di-hydrogen monoxide."

Not corrosive, eh? I've got a used car I want to sell you then. It was exposed to a little dihydrogen monoxide a few months back in New Orleans, but that won't hurt it at all, because it's not corrosive or anything. Never mind the rust spots; those just add character! smile.gif
ThatSzechuan
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Feb 6 2006, 01:48 PM)

Not corrosive, eh? I've got a used car I want to sell you then. It was exposed to a little dihydrogen monoxide a few months back in New Orleans, but that won't hurt it at all, because it's not corrosive or anything. Never mind the rust spots; those just add character! smile.gif

Do acids and bases oxidize things?
hyzmarca
Acidic solutions contain an abundance of H+ ions. They'll attempt to combine with negativly charged ions, including OH-

Basic solutions contain an abundance of OH- ions and these ions will attempt to combine with positive ions, including H+

Acidic and basic solutions corrode because of the reactions they cause as they pull complimentry ions from whereever they possibly can. This doesn't cuase oxidation per se, but the reslting compounds can be oxidizers.

Plain old liquid water is can be described a solution of equal parts OH- and and H+ ions due to water's dipole nature, which is why it makes a very good solvent. Due to this fact, hydrogen hydroxide is the prefered scientific term for H2O, rather than dihydrogen monoxide. I think that is what Frank was refering to. Hydroxic (hydroxy) hydride and hydroxic acid are also acceptable as water can be described as both H[OH] and [OH]H
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Feb 7 2006, 10:45 PM)
Acidic and basic solutions corrode because of the reactions they cause as they pull complimentry ions from whereever they possibly can.  This doesn't cuase oxidation per se, but the reslting compounds can be oxidizers.

Er, "pulling complimentary ions from whereever they possibly can," is about as close to the definition of an oxidizing or reducing agent as you can get. Acids are oxidizers, and bases are reducers.

As for completely pure water being called hydroxic acid and the like, that's essentially untrue. Completely neutral water, usually called deionized water or 18.2 Megaohm water because pure water's electrical resistance is ~18.2MOhms, has a pH of 7.0, meaning the concentration of H+ ions is 10^-7M. This is not very acidic or basic at all, as liquid water itself has a concentration of about 55.5M at room temperature putting the relative concentration of ions in solution at about 3.6*10^-7%. Water is very good at dissolving other polar compounts and many ionic compounds because of its polarity, not because of its high degree of self-ionization: the polar water molecules stabalize the solvated ions/compounds that would otherwise be more stable in a bonded form.

The reason "Katrina cars" are so mangled isn't just the water, really; it's the combination of water, salt, and, most importantly, oxygen. Oxygen is a horribly corrosive compound, a disgustingly toxic byproduct of plant cells' photosynthetic processes. According to government studies, corrosion costs the US government over $276 billion a year, over $128 billion of that in electrochemical corrosion, most of which is directly the fault of oxygen. Of course, it also just happens to be necessary for us to live. smile.gif
nezumi
So now I can't threaten people I poured hydroxic acid in their drink and laugh maniacly?
Eyeless Blond
Are you kidding? I do it all the time, though it kinda ruins the joke when you reveal that roughly 2/3 of their body is made up of the same thing. nyahnyah.gif
stevebugge
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Are you kidding? I do it all the time, though it kinda ruins the joke when you reveal that roughly 2/3 of their body is made up of the same thing. nyahnyah.gif

Careful or I'll report you to the IAEA for trafficing in Nuclear Materials grinbig.gif

I always thought that Acids were defined as being Hydrogen "Donors" and Bases as Hydrogen "Takers" (maybe I have it backwards) and that this was the basis for their "corrosive" reactivity when the Hydrogens rearranged themselves.
hyzmarca
Please excuse me for temperorilary misplacing my brain.

Water does have a neutral PH, but it also has the ability to act as either an acid and as a base in certain reactions, thus the terms hydroxic acid and hydrogen hydride are both correct, if somewhat clumsy.

If you want to mix it up a bit, hydrogen oxide works, as well.

On a sidenote, a common method of sterilizing food had been shown to produce carcinogens that can contribute to stomach cancer as well as other dangerous byproducts. I recommend banning pyrolytic steriliziation of all foodstuffs and shall be persenting a petition to my congressperson. I urge you all to do the same.

And to bring this back on topic , metahuman meat breaks down into the same carcinogens when pyrolytically sterilized. Ghouls don't eat pyrolytically sterilized meat and I've never met a ghoul with stomach cancer. Coincidence? I think not.
MK Ultra
So how many did you meat? I probably spent the evening with 3 or so, and once was on a Ghoul-Party, I never dated one myselve, but one of my buddys did, she ate his heart (but he got it replaced, or without my knowledge went undead). However, I did not ask one of them about thair last stomach check.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Acidic solutions contain an abundance of H+ ions. They'll attempt to combine with negativly charged ions, including OH-

Basic solutions contain an abundance of OH- ions and these ions will attempt to combine with positive ions, including H+

In Water, sure. In a more general sense, an Acid is an Electron Acceptor and a Base is an Electron Donor. So in water, the Acid produces positive ions (H+) that accept electrons, and the Base produces negative ions (OH-) that have electons to spare. But there are also acids and bases that operate purely electrically or in non-aqueous solutions and have different ions involved altogether.

The "di-hydrogen monoxide" comment was a refernece to the DHMO research division.

-Frank
hyzmarca
QUOTE (MK Ultra @ Feb 8 2006, 12:44 PM)
So how many did you meat? I probably spent the evening with 3 or so, and once was on a Ghoul-Party, I never dated one myselve, but one of my buddys did, she ate his heart (but he got it replaced, or without my knowledge went undead). However, I did not ask one of them about thair last stomach check.

Well, when I sold guns in Asamando gastrointestinal cancers were among the list of diseases I screen all prostitutes for before having unprotected sex with them.

It is an undeniable fact that burning people causes cancer. Eating burned people causes gastrointestinal cancer. Inhaling the smoke from burning people causes lung cancer.
Cooked food is exactly like burned people except it isn't made from people (unless it is made from people).
Something must be done.
FrankTrollman
Medical scanning technology has really gone far. At this point you can really just have the prostitutes stand in the medical shop for about a minute and the CT will adjust to her movements automatically and give you a very accurate picture of her insides. Most conditions that would keep you from having unprotected sex can be screaned for non-invasively. That and a blood test lasting minutes instead of days, and you can determine if she's too hot to handle in less time than it takes a pull-tab burrito to heat itself evenly and cool down to where it can be eaten safely.

Unsafe sex has never been so safe!

-Frank
Brahm
Calling the water based acid a proton donor, and the water base a proton acceptor/sink is more accurate than using the term hydrogen because it doesn't "give" or "take" the whole atom.

Thinking of it in terms of electrons though makes the head hurt a bit less than these electronless protons floating around. smile.gif

Oh, and deionized water is for crap in aiding metal corrosion because the water aids the oxydizing corrosion by closing the electrical current loop that allows the metal atoms to come free to react with the oxygen. For the current to flow there must be ions present, which there are very few of in pure water which is why it's electrical resistance is so high. However there are several orders of magnitude more ions present in sea water, so it is much more efficent at aiding the corrosion.
MK Ultra
Assamando? Oh so I got you wrong. I mixed ghules with goths (also often mixed with WOD LARPERs) which act, lock and smell the same as Ghouls with toupets would.
Possibly they do cook people, maybe they eat them alife and unburned, I donīt know.

Did You test the assamando prostitutes for Krieger HMHVV, I guess this should be the major concern, since some devious gm may misinterpret unprotected sex as having close personal contact and thus riscing Ghulblinisation biggrin.gif
hyzmarca
I didn't need to test them for HMHVV; the blindness, claws, skin condition, hairlessness, and eating of rotting human flesh were a dead giveaway.

And that's the joke. Stomach cancer isn't nearly as contagious as Krieger is.
Its sort of like getting worked up over the dangers of sterilizing food and forgetting the dangers of deadly foodborne bacteria or getting worked up over nuclear power plants while forgeting about the dangers of not having any electricity.

Sources suggest that ghouls require their meat to be raw and are specific that they require it to rotten. Ghouls don't have to worry about foodborne bacteria, apparently. They'd probably get food poisioning from fresh and/or cooked products.

Azralon
Actually, yeah, IIRC ghouls get sick from eating cooked or fresh meat.
MK Ultra
OK, you persuaded me, my next char will set out and get Krieger, before he dies of stomach cancer biggrin.gif

indifferent.gif Oh damn, there are no rules for Ghulinfection in SR4 yet sarcastic.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012