Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vehicles - running vs. acceleration
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
BlackHat
So, they list vehicle acceleration as either "walking" or "running" and say you can make tests to speed up (with 'speed' being the safe maximum).

Great, but other than making those tests to speed up, does the vehicle gain speed on its own? Take, for example, the Bulldog Step-Van with "acceleration" 5/10

With its 2 pilot, and a maneuver autosoft of 2, it gets 4 dice to drive itself around. Let's assume it buys one success with that. It can "run" down the street at 15 meters per turn (5 m/s ~ 11 mph) ... you'd get pulled over for going too slow!
Even if it used all three of its actions per turn to speed up, it'd only be going 25 meters/turn or about 18-19 mph.

That can't be right. It'd take an ace-rigger just to take that thing on the highway.

But, if you can "accelerate" by 10 meters EACH combat turn, that would make a lot more sense, but make the lousy 4 dice it gets for "hauling ass" somewhat dwarfed by the speed it gets on its own - moreso for faster vehicles like the eurocar westwind, which would gain 60 meters/turn and would get on average 2 hits to drive itself around (an extra 10, yay)...

Anyone had to run a vehicle-combat yet and figure all this out? o.O

By the looks of it, combat will be over before my players pull out of their parking spot. wink.gif
warrior_allanon
you have to realize that its able to accelerate between 5-10 mps per second so base would be 5-10-15 for a total of 30 meters in a 3 second combat turn, meaning that in a full minute of standard acceleration you would reach roughly 5miles traveled in one minute which is about 30 mph which is about right.

at maximum accel of 10mps, one minute of acceleration puts you at roughly 10miles traveled and max speed reached in under a full minute of acceleration
BlackHat
That makes more sense - but does it say anywhere in the BBB that the "acceleration" is in meters per second as opposed to meters per turn?
The Jopp
Cruising speed for KM/Hour would be calculated with the following formula:

(((Speed/3) x 60) x 60)) / 1000= KM/H

The Honda Spirit for example would have a maximum speed of 96KM/H

Acceleration would easiest be calculated by using the same formula.

The Honda Spirit would then have an effective acceleration of between 0-24KM/H
mintcar
Let's assume it can accelerate by the runspeed each turn without any roll. The rating is called "acceleration", and the test is optional, after all. It's not that hard to press a gas pedal either. Getting that extra little acceleration out of it should be hard. As should staying on the road if all you do is floor it without mercy.

Let's take a very fast car as a benchmark for testing the viability of this rating: the Eurocar Westwind. Acceleration 20/60. Starting out at 0 km/h, I will try and calculate the time it takes to reach 100 km/h (approx. 62 mph).

If I'm not mistaken, multiplying meters per turn with 1.2 will give the speed in km/h. This is because one hour is 3600 seconds, one kilometer is 1000 meters and one combat turn is 3 seconds(3600/1000)/3=1.2. So 60 mpt = 72 km/h. In 3 seconds the car has reached 72 km/h. In 6 seconds the car has doubled that speed, and is now traveling at 144 km/h. 100 km/h is reached approx. in 4 seconds. That rivals most race cars today. It's the same spec that the Ferrari F430 is presented with. But those specs are not casualy reached, while the Westwind would do this every time, without a test, at least on a straight road. Let's say you made a test to accelerate, getting 4 hits. Then you would reach 100 km/h in barely more than 3 seconds. This all makes sense, because it fits with how top speeds of vehicles in Shadowrun relates to today's cars.

PS. Maybe now you can see why the speed increase you gain from the roll as opposed to the normal acceleration is so small? It's no small feat to press a race car down from 4 to 3 seconds time from 0-100 km/h.
kigmatzomat
Would someone care to post the page numbers with the logic that goes along with "default" acceleration vs. rolled acceleration? (I've loaned my books out so I can't do it myself and I want to review this later)
BishopMcQ
As far as I can tell reading through everything, you automatically go the running speed by spending a free action. Though, in occurrences where the full speed of various vehicles was being used, I'd switch over to Chase Combat rather than Tactical, and the comparative speeds isn't quite as critical.

QUOTE (sr4 p. 159)
Acceleration
Vehicles have an Acceleration rating that determine their movement rates. The number to the left of the slash is a vehicle’s Walking rate in meters per turn. The number to the right is its Running rate.
A drive or drone can attempt to move a greater distance by making a Vehicle Test (see below). Each hit on the test adds 5 meters to the vehicle’s movement rate.

That's the only relevant rule I can find specifically written.
mintcar
QUOTE (p 159)
Vehicles have an Acceleration rating that determine their movement rates. The number to the left of the slash is a vehicle’s Walking rate in meters per turn. The number to the right is its Running rate.

A driver or drone can attempt to move a greater distance by making a Vehicle Test (see below). Each hit on the test adds 5 meters to the vehicle’s movement rate.

You can choose to interpret it either way. If the movement rate is the speed of the vehicle, a driver needs to get 36 hits on a driving test to get a Westwind up to the top speed. If movement rate is the acceleration for that turn, see my last post.

Now take your pick nyahnyah.gif .
BishopMcQ
Mintcar--I'm not disagreeing that your way is more in line with real world cars and physics. It would seem that the only time the argument comes up though is when the runners are trying to stop someone else from getting away or vice versa. Basically, this is the scene where the bad guys piles into the car and the good guys unload into the car and gun it down before it gets around the corner.

Once both teams are in vehicles, then you switch over to Chase combat and you get the prolonged car chase with people leaning out windows to shoot at each other.

IMO--The game designers realized that it would be difficult to create any balance of speeds between people and vehicles so they did their best with the tactical system and offered a separte system for exclusive use with vehicles. I find the wording a little difficult to understand with the Chase system (the break down between a Chase Turn and an Initiative Pass) but I'm working my way through it.
Brahm
QUOTE (BlackHat)
That makes more sense - but does it say anywhere in the BBB that the "acceleration" is in meters per second as opposed to meters per turn?

I get the impression that, to hit the GenCon target, not all the loose ends were tied up in the vehicle rules before it went to the printers. What is there is fine, and an improvement. But there are some details that weren't finished.
mintcar
QUOTE (McQuillan @ Feb 7 2006, 11:10 AM)
Mintcar--I'm not disagreeing that your way is more in line with real world cars and physics.  It would seem that the only time the argument comes up though is when the runners are trying to stop someone else from getting away or vice versa.  Basically, this is the scene where the bad guys piles into the car and the good guys unload into the car and gun it down before it gets around the corner. 

Once both teams are in vehicles, then you switch over to Chase combat and you get the prolonged car chase with people leaning out windows to shoot at each other.

IMO--The game designers realized that it would be difficult to create any balance of speeds between people and vehicles so they did their best with the tactical system and offered a separte system for exclusive use with vehicles.  I find the wording a little difficult to understand with the Chase system (the break down between a Chase Turn and an Initiative Pass) but I'm working my way through it.

I think your right about how this should be used. I hadn't thought of it that way. Basicly, the Acceleration speeds are the approximal speeds a vehicle can travel in a stationary combat situation with a lot of U-turns and breaks. Situations when vehicles and pedestrians are involved in the same combat.

I do think that the ratings can be used the way I discribed too. The way I've read chase combat, vehicle speed has no effect on the outcome at all. Using acceleration ratings and top speed ratings, you could rather easily determine if there could even be a chase. It's good that the rules are abstract and it's good you don't have to make tests every 3 seconds when in a car chase, but speed should be a factor.

What they should have done is give vehicles abstract attributes, and make a system that takes into account all of those attributes. One for top speed, one for acceleration, one for body and so on. The current system is rubish. The system in SR3 was better in some ways, but too complicated. (I got it to work somewhat by having cardboard dashboards, with dials for speed and maneuver score). The main problem was then keeping track of the exact speeds in mpt. The problem now is that the only vehicle rating that matters is handeling. There has to be some middle ground.
hobgoblin
i never understood the problem people had with SR3 vehicle rules. two of the numbers where static, period. one changed when the GM wanted it to change. add those up and you had a partial score. then slap the riggers dice outcome on top of that and presto, your done for that combat turn. unless you want to do some fancy moves that is.

still, i have yet to see, much les read, the full text of the SR4 rules so how it stacks up to the SR3 rules i cant realy comment on.
Aku
my problem is the the vehicle design (not customization so much, but design) they dedicate 1/4th of a book to everything, but the first sentance basicaly says "yea, we're giving them to you,b ut you shouldnt design indivual cars, or lets characters build a car from scratch with these rules."
BlackHat
QUOTE (Aku)
my problem is the the vehicle design (not customization so much, but design) they dedicate 1/4th of a book to everything, but the first sentance basicaly says "yea, we're giving them to you,b ut you shouldnt design indivual cars, or lets characters build a car from scratch with these rules."

Yeah, anything you designed was way cheaper and way cooler than any of the cars on the market... and no sane GM would let you get them. It was all basically trash except for one run where the GM could have you steal a bleeding edge prototype batmobile or something... but that really only works once.
Brahm
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
i never understood the problem people had with SR3 vehicle rules. two of the numbers where static, period. one changed when the GM wanted it to change. add those up and you had a partial score. then slap the riggers dice outcome on top of that and presto, your done for that combat turn. unless you want to do some fancy moves that is.

still, i have yet to see, much les read, the full text of the SR4 rules so how it stacks up to the SR3 rules i cant realy comment on.

The SR4 rules handle the fancy stuff smoother. SR3 vehicle rules worked fine as long as you ignored the steps, eyeballed stuff, and had the characters roll a few dice occationally.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Brahm)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 7 2006, 12:12 PM)

The SR4 rules handle the fancy stuff smoother. SR3 vehicle rules worked fine as long as you ignored the steps, eyeballed stuff, and had the characters roll a few dice occationally.

I'll agree with that! I still think the vehicle combat needs some work, but using the RAW I could finish my 1040 Form faster than a Vehicle Combat turn in SR3. SR4 is definitely a little faster
Brahm
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Feb 7 2006, 02:23 PM)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Feb 7 2006, 11:13 AM)

I'll agree with that! I still think the vehicle combat needs some work, but using the RAW I could finish my 1040 Form faster than a Vehicle Combat turn in SR3. SR4 is definitely a little faster

The SR4 steps could use a bit of work too. But the confusing things seem to be the parts that were copy and pasted from SR3 rules. Like what extra hardware and cyberware, if any, is needed to rig. Some of the columns in the vehicle description table also seem to be left over SR3 debris, because there is no credible explaination on what they represent or how to use them.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Brahm)

im just going huh here...
Azralon
QUOTE (Brahm @ Feb 7 2006, 03:13 PM)
SR3 vehicle rules worked fine as long as you ignored the steps, eyeballed stuff, and had the characters roll a few dice occationally.

Heh. I interpret that as "SR3 vehicle rules worked fine as long as you didn't really use them."
Brahm
QUOTE (Azralon)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Feb 7 2006, 03:13 PM)
SR3 vehicle rules worked fine as long as you ignored the steps, eyeballed stuff, and had the characters roll a few dice occationally.

Heh. I interpret that as "SR3 vehicle rules worked fine as long as you didn't really use them."

Yes. cool.gif
BlackHat
My players came up with a clever solution to what they thought was inadequate vehicle speeds. Air elemental's movement power... which seems to target vehicles just fine (as far as I could tell) and pushed the van from 22 mph to 110 mph in 1 second. smile.gif The crash was spectacular.
Style
Damn you GM Blackhat, damn you! I would never has asked the spirits to speed us along if I had known the rigger had not read the ramming rules. frown.gif
Azralon
Hee. Style, you should have remembered to ask/tell the spirit for a Guard service first. smile.gif

Yeah, spirits are tons of fun in conjunction with vehicle combat. It's apparently just fine by the RAW to keep the spirit inside the vehicle (therefore physically manifest and able to keep pace to the vehicle without trying). Guard, Movement, and if you have an extra service laying around you may as well Conceal too.
hobgoblin
i have allways interpeted spirits as only being able to do one service at a time. as for a new one, the old is dropped...

as for a spirit keeping up with a vehicle under effect of movement. i dont recall, but i think the speed of a spirit, even while manifested, can be quite high...
Endgame50
However, this experience has taught our group two things: 1) Get your own vehicle. 2) Spirit Accelerated Drone-Vehicles are amazing weapons.

BTW, the movement powers could affect anything no check since at least SR2. Go figure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012