Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about Spirits
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Deamon_Knight
In SR3, a Mage can bind a number of elementals equal to his charisma, while a Shaman can summon a single Nature Spirit until sunup or sundown, or untill the summoner leaves the spirits domain.

So, a Mage can summon several elementals, call them to his side, then astrally project, bringing those Elementals with him, then command those elementals from the astral to attack mundane beings on the physical plane? This astral hit squad was a weapon I was not prepared for.

OTOH, a Shaman trying the same trick could bring along a nature spirit, and can take that spirit along with him as long as the astrally projecting mage remains in the Spirits domain. If the shaman blunders into another domain he is SOL, because he can't resummon a spirit while astrally projecting. The other confusion I have is, how many Spirits can a shaman have at any one time? Obviously they must all be from the same domain, but is it one, charisma limited, or unlimited?
hyzmarca
A shaman can have one spirit from one domain at one time unless he has invoking. If he does have invoking he can summon several great forms in addition to a normal form of his current domain but is limited to a total equal to his charisma.
Pendaric
Your example is accurate, though summoning elementals is of course harder and using them as above expensive in services.
The main benefit of a Shaman is not needing hours long rituals to summon spirits and those spirits having more varied and niffty powers.
As hyzmarc states a shaman can only summon one spirit at a time and have only one on stand by at a time.
However he can summon one from one domain set it to a task or tasks, dependant on the number of favours, then summon another spirit from a different domain (if in a local that allows such) and repeat, up to a number equal to her charisma. Or passing out from drain which ever comers first :smile.gif:
Deamon_Knight
I thought it was one per domain, I just couldn't find the rule off the top of my head. This being the case though, the Mage has an incredible amount of force he can bring to bear. Isn't "Kill that group of guys" A single service? What kind of defense do you have against this? I'm stumpted.

I don't want to rehash the whole magic/mundane thing, but do a group of mundanes have any counter to the group of Force 6 Elementals?
Critias
The difference between traditions when it comes to summoning is, I think, one of the cooler differences in thought process and perspective between the two.

Mages can potentially bring more force to bear, at any given time, if they have the time to prepare, the finances to prepare, and know ahead of time they'll need the power. By being bookish, thinking ahead of time, and investing their resources wisely, they can have a small army of elementals at their beck and call.

Shamen, though, are more spontaneously powerful. At any moment, they can call on the world around them for a little help. They're more relaxed about it, less stick-up-the-butt planning ahead is required, and more "on the fly," seat of their pants types. What is, is.

Is either tradition more potent than the other? Not really. They just both shine at different times, in different ways. A mage can have a gaggle of fire elementals stomp around and fight drain or boost spells or eat people's faces for him, sure -- but none of that will do him any good if he hasn't got them summoned ahead of time, against a shaman who sees a potential problem, and whips up a Confusion-tossing spirit outta nowhere.

Different ways to handle stuff, with different amounts of prep time. Good flavor, good balance.
pragma
I agree wholeheartedly with Critias. The loss of the differentiation in traditions is one fo the things I find reallly regrettable about SR4.

That said, Properly (read: very well) armed mundanes can give spirits pause. Assault rifles on full auto tear them up pretty well (as they do most other things).

Also, a single sprinkler system can ruin the day of a bunch of fire elementals (actually not sure if that's canon, but it sure sounds like a good house rule if it is not.)
hyzmarca
All a mudane needs to ruin the day of a low force spirit is high willpower (which a mundane should have anyway to avoid manabolts and the like) and a fishing pole.
ragingonanist
by my reading primarily of the faq (found here http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/resources/faq.shtml) an assault rifle would do nothing against any spirit of higher than force 4.
Critias
The high Willpower and fishing pole, however, are always good.
Dawnshadow
high willpower and anything with reach.
Elemental weapons (Make sure you have two DIFFERENT ones. Flamethower and water cannon, for instance).
Mage contacts who, for a price, will send a Force 10 greatform fire elemental with services transfered..
Fast getaway car -- Remember, Elementals have a range limit proportional to magic. Going beyond that requires that the service be declared to be remote.. and that's an expensive proposition when there is more than a single service owed. And even then, it will lose force over time... so if you keep running for a week, you're safe. Come to think of it, Elementals don't have search, do they? Once you're out of LOS for whatever reason, you're safe.
Pendaric
The run option is a good one but elementals are intelligent (dependant on force). They can shift to and from materialized as necessary to complete their task and on remote service thats astral chase speeds. Sick, no?
Thats why players have to pay big to be a full magician. Personally I compensate by a higher number of awakened opponents because the group is sent on more missions that need magic because they have a full wizzer. Also controlling the PC in questions access to safe summoning sites and materials. It stops the investment of cash, time and danger that Dawnshadow covers.
Pendaric
O if they insist on roling out the big guns every time from astral, one more word, "SHEDIM." Maawwahhhaaa
Deamon_Knight
I never intended to suggest that the separate mage/shaman identities were a bad thing.

This is all in the context of my first attempt and GMing. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how to deal with a gaggle elementals under the control of a mage, I didn't understand the consequences of the astrally projecting mage spotting for his elementals. I'm trying to think about shaman (and magic in general) in this context. What should I prepare for!
hyzmarca
A Shaman becomes more versitile than a mage when he initiates and learns invoking. He can summon CHA great forms every morning without requiring any extra materials. The drain can get to him if he tries too high of a force. The advantage of a mage then becomes the ability to sleep off summoning drain.
Deamon_Knight
Are materialized spirits subject to standard physical laws? I have this terrible Image of my mage tying to get his Fire Elementals to float just out of melee range and using flamethrower all day.
Herald of Verjigorm
They have three dimensional movement. In simpler terms, they float.
Cain
QUOTE (Deamon_Knight)
I never intended to suggest that the separate mage/shaman identities were a bad thing.

This is all in the context of my first attempt and GMing. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how to deal with a gaggle elementals under the control of a mage, I didn't understand the consequences of the astrally projecting mage spotting for his elementals. I'm trying to think about shaman (and magic in general) in this context. What should I prepare for!

All right, as I understand things, you're wanting ways of dealing with the elemental attack pack strategy. There's no reason to start screwing over your players, since if you enforce the rules as written, you can easily make the trick too expensive to pull off frequently.

First of all, a mage can only have up to CHA in bound elementals. So, if he's only got CHA 3, he can only have an attack pack of 3. That's not really game-breaking. If you've got a player who built his character as a one-trick pony, you might have to deal with as many as 8; but that character wouldn't be too good at anything else, and can be dealt with in other ways.

The next thing to remember is that elementals cost money. A force 6 elemental costs 6000 nuyen.gif each. Even though there's no street index on it, remember that the availiability is also 6, which means getting more than one set of force-6 supplies at a time is going to be difficult. Your player might go for weaker spirits, which is fine-- weaker spirits aren't as much of a problem. In fact, attack packs that are mostly Force 3 or lower can be dealt with using normal weapons.

Following this is the actual summoning. First of all, does the character have an appropriate circle? Or space to draw one? A circle six meters across equals twenty-plus feet in American measurements. Further, can he light a bonfire inside, haul in a hundred pounds of raw earth, light dozens of incense sticks without setting off a smoke alarm, or have a fish tank large enough to hold a hundred gallons of water? These are all practical considerations, which mean that the hermetic can't simply set up anywhere and start summoning.

And then, there's the conjuring test. Given a character with Conjuring 6, he'll only score 1 success against a Force 6 spirit. Sure, there are ways of getting more dice, but they all apply to only one spirit type. This may not be a disadvantage in the player's mind, but in all practicality, he won't be likely to have more than one or two successes on his conjuring roll. That means that he'll only get one or two uses of the astral attack pack, assuming that he doesn't need the spirits for anything else.

So, we've spent 36,000 nuyen.gif, and have a maximum of two uses of a force-6 astral attack pack. That means we've spent at least 18,000 nuyen.gif per use! Sure, it's a nasty trick to pull, but at that cost, it better be! As long as you're enforcing the core rules, this will be too expensive to be used on a regular basis. And even if he saves it for your big baddies, there's nothing that prevents the high-powered opposition from having astral attack packs of their own. That means the astral attack pack strategy is best used as a last-ditch maneuver, or when there's no other alternative. There is absolutely no need to gimp the maneuver, or to create special rules to deal with it.

As far as the mage/shaman thing goes, shamans have the huge advantage of being able to summon on the spot, without spending a dime. Sure, a mage can conjure an attack pack, given enough time and money. But if he hasn't spent that time and money already, he can't pull it off mid-run. Smart shaman players can also to the multi-domain trick: while standing on the outskirts of a city park, he can start by conjuring a City Spirit, and sending it after his opposition. He then "switches domains", losing any further services from the city spirit, but allowing him to conjure a Forest spirit to attack his enemies. He then repeats the trick to summon a Sky spirit. He's effectively summoned an astral attack pack of his own, and hasn't spent any money to do so.
tisoz
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
They have three dimensional movement.  In simpler terms, they float.

Is this an assumption or do you have proof.gif?

I just keep seeing a huge earth elemental sailing from the top of one skyscraper to the next and thinking that's not right.

Does an earth elemental get a +1 TN modifier every time it is exposed to air? (Vulnerability)

Does a concussion grenade do +1 damage level to earth elementals? What is the damage code for a vacuum cleaner? For a fan? (Vulnerability - air)
Pendaric
Why am I posting again? biggrin.gif
nick012000
Well, from what I can tell, materialized spirits in SR4 don't have Three Dimensional movement, because the ability to fly is specifically spelled out for Fire and Air spirits.

If any of your other spirits want to fly while physical, they need to catch a ride. wink.gif
Deamon_Knight
Do they Float or Fly? So, can they just hover above a surface or really fly? If they can fly, and assuming a Fire Elemental is intelligent, why don't Materialized Fire Elementals simply float out of HTH range and use flamethrower all day. Do Elementals or Spirits commanded to "Kill that group of guards" use all their powers to their fullest extent? Will a City Spirit sustain Confusion, use Fear and Accident powers as well as melee attacks? Should a Fire Elemental engulf the first target to take him out of the fight and carry on melee against any remaining foes?

Elementals are expensive, but with a PC specialized in summoning and with a force 2 spirit focus means my PC is throwing 9 dice, and if he didn't roll those 5 success in front of me, I'll be damned.
Vaevictis
Shamans are powerful in their ability to summon on the spot, and the abilities associated with the spirits they summon. A single force 6 spirit tossing confusion around can all but cripple a force of arbitrary size. (Having to make a Willpower(6) test to do ANYTHING, plus having +6 to all TN's sucks something fierce). Search is awesome, etc, etc.

Elementals generally don't have abilities that are quite as useful.

As mentioned, shamans can get invoking to make up the pre-summoning difference.

As far as mundanes taking care of spirits is concerned... either overwhelming high powered weapons, or using the "Willpower attack".

Usually the best way to take out a spirit attack is to have a mage of some kind with a bunch of watchers flying astral overwatch, preferably with a weapon focus. Isolate the attacking spirits from each other if you can, have your mage and your watchers all attack one simultaneously. With the friends in combat bonuses, you should make short work of the spirits.

Personally, I'd rather fight 3 force 6 elementals than 1 force 6 spirit with confusion. But that's just me.

Vaevictis
QUOTE (Deamon_Knight @ Feb 13 2006, 10:54 PM)
Do they Float or Fly? So, can they just hover above a surface or really fly?

Neither. They have 3d movement which is different; assume that they can move anywhere they want with no real (non-magical) limitations. They are simply not subject to physics.

If they can fly, and assuming a Fire Elemental is intelligent, why don't Materialized Fire Elementals simply float out of HTH range and use flamethrower all day.

That is an option sometimes. Nothing is stopping them except their choice of tactics and/or their orders and/or their environment.

Do Elementals or Spirits commanded to "Kill that group of guards" use all their powers to their fullest extent?

It depends on the spirit and on the targets. Spirit affinity/spirit bane, for example, will modify the spirit's behavior. Consider the type of spirit and the type of orders being given; obviously a spirit cannot disobey direct orders, but some are bloodthirstier than others. For example, Hearth spirits, being spirits of man who live in the home, might try to avoid killing the inhabitants of the home, but may be inclined to be harsher on intruders... but if ordered directly by the summoner, they don't really have a choice.

Will a City Spirit sustain Confusion, use Fear and Accident powers as well as melee attacks? Should a Fire Elemental engulf the first target to take him out of the fight and carry on melee against any remaining foes?

Answer: Yes, if the spirit is inclined/ordered/capable of doing so. Keep in mind that just ordering a spirit to "kill that group over there" leaves the means to the spirit's discretion. As such, the complexity/savviness of the tactics will vary with the intelligence of the spirit; the determination will likewise vary with the spirit's personality. Leaving the means to the spirit only costs you one service (and one action), but the results will vary as different spirits may take different paths to the same goal.

OTOH, imo, explicitly requiring the use of certain powers requires a separate order -- although you can say, "Use confusion on those people over there" as one order.

Elementals are expensive, but with a PC specialized in summoning and with a force 2 spirit focus means my PC is throwing 9 dice, and if he didn't roll those 5 success in front of me, I'll be damned.

Wait until the fact that karma pool can be used between runs -- and if you have a decent amount of downtime between runs, it will refresh -- sinks in. smile.gif
tisoz
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
They have 3d movement which is different; assume that they can move anywhere they want with no real (non-magical) limitations. They are simply not subject to physics.

proof.gif

Should a Fire Elemental engulf the first target to take him out of the fight and carry on melee against any remaining foes?

Engulf is an exclusive complex action, so it can not carry on melee without ending the engulf.
Cain
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (Vaevictis @ Feb 13 2006, 11:02 PM)
They have 3d movement which is different; assume that they can move anywhere they want with no real (non-magical) limitations.  They are simply not subject to physics.

proof.gif

Floating and flying are both dependant on aerodynamics and physical properties. 3D movement pretty much allows them to move at will, which contradicts many different laws of physics.

If they can fly, and assuming a Fire Elemental is intelligent, why don't Materialized Fire Elementals simply float out of HTH range and use flamethrower all day.

They can do so, which is why high-powered ranged weapons is usually a good option. However, it's worth noting that spirits have neither a magic rating or spell pool (according to the BBB, only dragons do), which means that the spirit can't use spell pool dice to boost the attack. Since they *do* have a combat pool, they can throw more dice in melee, potentially doing more damage.

Do Elementals or Spirits commanded to "Kill that group of guards" use all their powers to their fullest extent?

Dependant on you, the roleplay, and the intelligence of the spirit. A character who is rude or arrogant to his spirits won't get the same response as someone who works closely with them. Low force spirits are also less intelligent, so they're less likely to come up with good tactics. Finally, bear in mind that a lot of nature spirit powers won't directly help with the goal of "killing that group of guards". Confusion, for example, isn't generally harmful. The wording the character uses is very important, and can easily restrict the options a spirit is likely to use.

Will a City Spirit sustain Confusion, use Fear and Accident powers as well as melee attacks?

As Vaevictis pointed out, yes, if the spirit is ordered to do so. However, I can't think of a single command that would make a spirit do all four at once. If you want them off your back, the spirit might be inclined to use Confusion and/or Fear; if you wanted them hurt, it may decide to use Accident and/or melee attacks. But if you just throw something vauge, like "get rid of those guys", the spirit gets to choose its own tactics, and will probably only select one of the four.

That's fine. He's got five services out of a single spirit. I'll bet that he doesn't have five services on all of them. He still can't use the astral attack pack option very often, because each use costs him a service from each spirit. The cumulative cost across all the spirits is what makes this a pricey option.

As Vaevictis pointed out, the easiest way of dealing with a single large spirit is the Watcher Attack Pack™. Summon up a bundle of force 3 watchers, and have them jump the spirit in unison. The Friends in Melee bonuses mean that even high-powered astral opposition will get worn down very quickly.
tisoz
QUOTE (Cain @ Feb 14 2006, 03:29 AM)
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (Vaevictis @ Feb 13 2006, 11:02 PM)
They have 3d movement which is different; assume that they can move anywhere they want with no real (non-magical) limitations.  They are simply not subject to physics.

proof.gif

Floating and flying are both dependant on aerodynamics and physical properties. 3D movement pretty much allows them to move at will, which contradicts many different laws of physics.

Where do you see that they get 3D movement, Flight, Innate Spell: Levitate or anything else that would get them airborn while Materialized? I did not see any provision under the Materialization Power, and the only place I can think of that lists 3D Movement is as a power that may be granted an ally spirit.
Cain
I don't have my books handy, but you can start looking in Critters or MitS. It would be bloody stupid to say that a spirit of the sky must be ground-borne, after all. Also, consider this-- if they couldn't do so, the materilization power would contain a provisio about what happens when a spirit materilizes in mid air.
nick012000
I'll point out that in SR4, it's explicitly stated that they can't.
tisoz
QUOTE (Cain)
I don't have my books handy, but you can start looking in Critters or MitS.

I looked in the BBB in the spirit and dragon section and for the materialization power. I checked the Critters entries for elementals, nature spirits, and the materialization power. I checked MitS the first few pages of the spirits chapter. Nothing about them getting 3D Movement, flight or Levitation.

It would be bloody stupid to say that a spirit of the sky must be ground-borne, after all.

It would be silly to say an earth elemental gets to float through the sky like a puffy white cloud, too.

I can maybe see the spirit exploiting its form to become airborn. Maybe it appears as a mist , cloud , bird or balloon.

Also, consider this-- if they couldn't do so, the materilization power would contain a provisio about what happens when a spirit materilizes in mid air.

Why? Just apply normal falling damage if they impact without reverting to the astral plane.

The ability to move astrally allows a spirit to materialize in myriad places. And they do have the equivalent of 3D Movement while on the astral plane. But I have yet to see anyone find an explanation to assume they get 3D Movement, Flight or Levitation automatically on the physical plane.
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (tisoz)
It would be bloody stupid to say that a spirit of the sky must be ground-borne, after all.

It would be silly to say an earth elemental gets to float through the sky like a puffy white cloud, too.

FYI, SR4 (which is obviously not the version you are arguing) states the following:

QUOTE (SR4 @ p177)
Materialized physical forms are not subject to gravity, though most spirits (except air spirits) stay earthbound or close to it (perhaps floating or hovering).

I like this because it keeps crafty players from having their earth spirit materialize ten feet above the bad guys and fall on top of them (which would probably be instantly fatal). Of course, SR4 also gives air spirits flight as a power, so who knows. I guess one way to look at it is that not being subject to gravity doesn't grant any means of locomotion to the spirit.
Pendaric
I go with flavour character with elementals, so once manifest a earth elemental wants to stay on the ground. A fire elemental wont venture out over a large body of water willingly etc
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012