Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question for Adam or other SR4 involvee...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Solstice
This is an issue for many of our characters that are currently in the throes of conversion from SR3-SR4. I'm curious as to whether we should ad hoc the conversion of move-by-wire in anticipation of Augmentation's release or just drop it all together and not worry.

I would greatly appreciate any info or opinions.

Personally I think it should be dropped altogether, but I would rather stay Canon especially since many of my players will likely not want to give it up, then I will have a good reason to not have it.

Thanks in advance.
Cang
I personally would either do some temporary conversion myself or drop it. If you wait for canon, you will be waiting for a long while.
hobgoblin
your telling us that one or more of the chars actualy have gotten MBW installed? i thought noone would be as insane as to actualy put it to use in a char. a npc cyberzombie maybe but not a char...
Solstice
Yeah well the PC that has it isn't supposed to have it. When he made the character he didn't realize (at least he says he didn't) the availabilty. So no one caught it for quite a while.

But that's beside the point. Please don't ask tangental questions. I just need opinions and a Canon answer if possible. Thanks.

runefire32
You can get MBW's lvl 1 in chargen in 3rd. I actualy perfered them over wireds...but thats me and i am atleast moderately insane...
TinkerGnome
Opinion: Refund the cost of the system and let him buy anything he wants in SR3 with the cash.

Probably isn't worth it to convert it. What level is it, anyway?
Bull
My completely unofficial, non-canon answer is, yeah, it will probably stay in. Cheesy as it is, it is a part of the game and has been for what, 6 or 7 years now? Since 2nd ed, anyways. And hey, it like, causes cancer or some such if I recall. Always a good time to have a twitchy chemo patient along on a 'run wink.gif

Chances are most of us won't know until Augmented hit playtesting, and even then, we probably won't be able to say anything due to playtesting NDA's and all. But like i said, I really can;t think of a good reason not to include it.

Bull
Gauvain
QUOTE (Solstice @ Feb 10 2006, 01:02 PM)
your telling us that one or more of the chars actualy have gotten MBW installed? i thought noone would be as insane as to actualy put it to use in a char. a npc cyberzombie maybe but not a char...

I did, but he was a spaz beforehand. No one noticed much of a difference.

The disease chances actually aren't that bad until you get up to level 3 and 4.

It's really an assasins tool. Quick, quiet, and incredibly mobile. So, of course, I installed it into a impulse control problem on legs with impulsive, combat monster, and a fetish for sharp things.

When converting the character I slapped together Wired II (an upgrade acutally) with reflex recorders for Athletics Skill Group and Stealth Skill Group. It'll do until the Augmented book appears.
Solstice
QUOTE (Bull)
My completely unofficial, non-canon answer is, yeah, it will probably stay in. Cheesy as it is, it is a part of the game and has been for what, 6 or 7 years now? Since 2nd ed, anyways. And hey, it like, causes cancer or some such if I recall. Always a good time to have a twitchy chemo patient along on a 'run wink.gif

Chances are most of us won't know until Augmented hit playtesting, and even then, we probably won't be able to say anything due to playtesting NDA's and all. But like i said, I really can;t think of a good reason not to include it.

Bull

Ok thanks for the info everyone.

Hey Bull, any ideas on a conversion to use? Personally I'm going to lobby to get rid of it at least until Augmentation comes out. But, if they insist any ideas? I can't even remember the stats it gives in SR3.

Something like +2 reaction, +2 IP, +1 die for athletics?

I guess I should find out before we play tonight lol biggrin.gif
TinkerGnome
It boosts quickness, reaction, and gives bonus dice to stealth and athletics.

The bonus dice are probably fine, and just translate the reaction and extra init dice into the equivalent wired reflexes in SR4 boosts. Quickness could just become an agility boost.

So MBW 1 is something like:

+1 IP, +1 reaction, +1 agility, +2 dice to stealth and athletics. Or whatever.

The big problem is that the main balancer on MBW is the nasty buildup of stress points and psychosis. The stress points thing is currently out of the game, so you'll have to fill in that gap somehow.
Azralon
I'd say, due to the SR4 numeric scale and how attributes add to skill rolls:

(+1 IP, +1 Rea, +1 Agi, +1 Stealth, +1 Athletics) per level of MBW.

That way you're still getting a total of +2 to your Stealth and Athletics rolls per level. I'd limit MBW to just 3 levels (for symmetry and to avoid exceeding the 4 IP limit), saying that the new modern version has eliminated the naughty side effects at the price of the original's extreme performance.

And, compared to Wired Reflexes, you're getting the same thing on a level-by-level basis except with Muscle Toner and two flavors of Reflex Recorder thrown in as side dishes. You could price accordingly (both for nuyen and Essence) but still call the whole package cyberware.

Note that MBW is going to run into a new limitation in SR4: attribute and skill caps exist now.
MK Ultra
You´d doublehobble it if you give Agil +1 AND Stealth +(I think this should have been at least 1, instead of 2), cuz A+1 alredy gives you an extra die for stealth (and all the other skills depending on A).

I´d rather say give (per Rating) A+1, R+1, IP+1 and Athletics (which doesn´t depend on A) +1

I´d forget the stress and braindamage until Augmentation (they are supposed to be longterm effects anyway, so just put them on, when canon includes them), just keep the flavor effects (tremors and sometimes disorientation) and let the user have to consult a doctor regularly (and pay for it), maybe (Rating) times per year. That should compensate for the mid-term effects.
the_dunner
Stealth and Atheletics are both skill groups now -- effectively giving the bonus to 8 skills, in addition to the attribute bonus. I'd suggest slimming the bonus down to just Gymnastics, and possibly Infiltration.
Solstice
Ok thanks well that gives me some ideas going into tonight. We can probably work something out though I'd rather leave it out altogether.
Thanks.
PlatonicPimp
Dudes, the conversion thread is stickied. Didi you not have teh time to go there and find my beautiful conversion af all cyberware to 4th ed? Move by wire is handled there. It's good. I know, 'cause I made it.
Ophis
Hey bull they've been with us longer than 6 or 7 years. They've been about since cybertechnology in SR2. I make that about 10 years...

God I feel old sometimes.
MK Ultra
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
Dudes, the conversion thread is stickied. Didi you not have teh time to go there and find my beautiful conversion af all cyberware to 4th ed? Move by wire is handled there. It's good. I know, 'cause I made it.

I´ll give that a look, when I´m eventually starting to convert stuff to SR4.
MK Ultra
QUOTE (Ophis @ Feb 11 2006, 06:18 AM)
Hey bull they've been with us longer than 6 or 7 years. They've been about since cybertechnology in SR2. I make that about 10 years...

God I feel old sometimes.

Ah, yess, the good old times, when you cold just have a sr secion 5 days a week after school, and than some on the weekends.

Now I´m happy if I get a champaign rolling, that runs semi-regular every other month.

On the other hand, I´ve got all the books now nyahnyah.gif

EDIT: and the quallity of my gaming & gming has improved a bit since than I guess.
Mr.Platinum
This is what i like about dumpshock, busy minds who have no patients{crap i can't remeber if thats the right patients. not the hosptal kind}.

But you guys lok like your on the right track and i also am eager about the new book my self.
Aku
You're looking to have patience, while, the way my head feels, i should be a patient out of many patients.

silly english language
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012