Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Costs for a hospital grade breast pump
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
hyzmarca
Considering the dystopian nature of shadowrun and the fact that most runners are working their way up from the barrens, it is sad that one important character concept is underrepresented in the Shadows, the single mother running to make a better life for her baby.

As a chracter concept it should be far more common than hot young lesbian elves yet it is rare to see compared to the sapphic stereotype.

This concept provides the full breadth of the dependant flaw by forcing the character to take into consideration such things as daycare (and nightcare) at the odd hours a shadowrunner has to work and, perhaps, maintaining a legitimate cover lifestyle to avoid the suspicions of nosey babysitters.

The single mother character concept is sure to provide great longterm roleplaying experiences. However, it does raise on every important childcare question. What would be the nuyen essence and capacity cost of a DNI cyberbreastpump?
brohopcp
I'm not up on modern cyberware costs, so I won't be able to suggest a price for that. However, I am willing to comment on the excellent character concept.

Great idea and well designed to work with the dependent flaw. I would also suggest that she be a certified nanny.

How do you kidnap the Johnson's children? Simply find the correct person for the job. devil.gif
Mr.Platinum

You want some insite on a booby pump? well they are found in drug stores in the baby ile care section. if not look it up on the net. then ad what ever inflation you would like.
hyzmarca
Low end $150. High end, well over $1000.

The range is too extreme to be of much help and more importantly, it doesn't list essence costs for one installed internally.

A completely internal model would be impossible, but an implanted pump with in and out ports would be more convient than dragging a giant pump on runs.
Squinky
Most single mothers have children by accident, and arent prepared for them. In a world of cybernetics, bioware, and magic, I would sure hope they make better rubbers...
Tanka
Let's not forget trying to find out its conversion into nuyen. Which is almost impossible, since some items seem to be far more expensive than they should be, and some items seem to be far les expensive than they should be.

(Example: Survival Knife. I can get one for maybe $50. In game, it's 450 nuyen, which suggests a 1:9 ratio of USD to nuyen. Whereas a standard knife in the real world is $30 for one that'll get you through a lot before breaking up, one in SR costs 30 nuyen, which suggests a 1:1 ratio on cost. So, basically, you may want to just fudge the numbers and ask your GM if that's OK.)
Catsnightmare
QUOTE (tanka)

(Example: Survival Knife. I can get one for maybe $50. In game, it's 450 nuyen, which suggests a 1:9 ratio of USD to nuyen. Whereas a standard knife in the real world is $30 for one that'll get you through a lot before breaking up, one in SR costs 30 nuyen, which suggests a 1:1 ratio on cost. So, basically, you may want to just fudge the numbers and ask your GM if that's OK.)

You're forgetting the cost factor of that Trauma Patch that comes standard in the handle of that survival knife.
Tanka
QUOTE (Catsnightmare)
QUOTE (tanka @ Feb 11 2006, 09:22 AM)

(Example: Survival Knife.  I can get one for maybe $50.  In game, it's 450 nuyen, which suggests a 1:9 ratio of USD to nuyen.  Whereas a standard knife in the real world is $30 for one that'll get you through a lot before breaking up, one in SR costs 30 nuyen, which suggests a 1:1 ratio on cost.  So, basically, you may want to just fudge the numbers and ask your GM if that's OK.)

You're forgetting the cost factor of that Trauma Patch that comes standard in the handle of that survival knife.

And it comes standard in the real world knife I was referring to.
Mr.Platinum
I just have this nasty vision of a nursing mother with a cyber pump pulling a " Got milk" like in BaseketBall.
Ed_209a
QUOTE (Tanka)

You know of a 50 dollar survival knife that comes with a dose of a drug that can put you in artificial hibernation?

I'd love to see a link for that.
Calvin Hobbes
One that can suture wounds with nanites?
Tanka
QUOTE (Ed_209a)
QUOTE (Tanka)

You know of a 50 dollar survival knife that comes with a dose of a drug that can put you in artificial hibernation?

I'd love to see a link for that.

Trauma patch doesn't put you in hibernation, it just wakes you up and helps you ignore the pain.

As per the SR3 rules, it comes with a compass, lighter, night-glow stick and a trauma patch. I've seen knives with those in the handle before for around $50.
ShadowDragon8685
I think the point, Hyz, has been missed.

Nobody wants to play a single mother. Hell, some of us may know, or worse, BE, single mothers.

We play to escape reality. Not have it shot up our noses. Hence, the hawt sapphic elves.

An infant child would be far too much of a vulnerability for a Shadowrunner. And most Shadowrunners would, if nice, give it away for adoption, probably to some very rich people, or at least some very nice ones, or if not nice, abandon it, and if horrible, abandon it in the barrens with a round through it's head.
Liper
Trauma patch doesn't put you in hibernation, it just wakes you up and helps you ignore the pain.

No those are stim patchs.

Trauma patches are last ditch things that you put directly over someones heart that releases powerful Coagulants and other helpful things for say, TRAUMA.

err here let me read what sr3 said about it

"trauma patches are a last ditch alternative for stabilizing characters in danger of imminent death. These adhesive patches are placed against eh patients skin directly over the hearts. the patch administers controlled doses of high powered medicines designed to stabilize and injured body. .."

To sum the rest up, it enables a person a second chance at stabilization that they don't normally get. It also fucks the body up soo much it pretty much auto zaps a point of magic, and increases the chance of permament injury from these nearly/really fatal wounds. No, they are hardly anything found in a current survival knife at Kmart for 50bucks.

Maybe you're thinking about something like this?

a 50 dollar survival knife, that's well priced

Notice the lack of a trauma patch, or even stim patches.

Snake venom stuff? check, ability to suture some wounds check, stuff meant to stabilize mortally wounded people!? err, nope.

Stabilization of the wounds that the trauma patch handles in SR is something that skilled paramedics with a vast array of tools do currently. There is no equivelent on todays current market, so yeah he's correct, 450bucks for this miracle patch is just having a knife thrown in for free, don't try and compare it with the current knives and medical supplies in them.
SL James
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Feb 11 2006, 01:34 PM)
Nobody wants to play a single mother. Hell, some of us may know, or worse, BE, single mothers.

I guess this mean you can call me Nobody. And I guess the ones who play single fathers, too. I mean, really, who'd want to actually role-play in Shadowrun, anyway? I guess I've just been wasting the last two years role-playing a single mother character. God, I'm such an idiot. Thank you, SD, for enlightening me as to the error of my ways.

Hey, next time you make a generalization you might want to stick your head a little further up your ass.
hyzmarca
There are people who want to play characters that go insane, pluck out their own eyeballs, and get eaten by extrademinsional horrors. There are people who want to play cahracters that go out in a blaze of glory rather than succumb to their uncurable terminal illnesses. Surely, there are people who want to play single mothers.

And although most single mothers have children by accident, there are plenty that don't. Some want children to fill a void in their lives. Enough single women and lesbians want children to keep the sperm banks in business. While lesbians are overrepresented compared to single heterosexual women, I don't think that would be the case in reality. Some single mothers are widowed or divorced. Being single one moment doesn't mean one was single the moment before. You could even have widowed or divorced hawt lesbian elf single mothers.

And, of course, when you can barely afford food you can't aford condoms. Surely, there would be more single mothers in the barrens than anywhere else. Adoption wouldn't be an option for the SINless, they couldn't go to a reputable agency. Besides, most rich people would want a child with their own genes rather than a stray. Selling the baby as ghoul feed is a possibility, but some parents actually bond with their infants.

A baby is only a liability if an enemy decides to attack you through your friends, family, and contacts. At that point you are already screwed.

nuyen.gif 150 x rating up to rating 12 seems reasonable compared to current prices. A high rating would not confer any statistical benefits, but neither would a low rating (unless the GM enforces pain penalties for uncomfortably full breasts).

Essence and capacity for implanted versions is still up in the air. Implanted, it would just be an electric pump with two intake ports and at least one (probably more) output port. The ports would accept rubber tubing of a standard diameter. Cups attach to the in, bottles attach to the out, and DNI control combined with ahdesive cups would mean handsfree operation that would be appreciated by runners and wagemommies alike.
Tanka
Don't patronize me, Liper. I was showing USD:nuyen ratios, which seem to be utterly random at times depending on the item and when the item first showed up in the Shadowrun universe.

I mean, sure, there aren't trauma patches or equivalent in today's world. Has that stopped anyone else from doing comparisons of real world items to SR items? Nope. So it won't stop me now.

Want a different example, then? How about cell phones? Today, a cell phone, on average, will cost you $60USD+$50/month for service (and that's if you get the all-inclusive service with some stupid amount of text messages and minutes, not to mention free nights and weekends). In SR? 500 nuyen. So that's somewhere around a 5:1 ratio on USD to nuyen. Included inside of lifestyle, of course, is your cell phone bill, if you choose to get one. So that means it's really $60USD:500 nuyen ratio, which is roundabout 8.5:1 ratio.

I'm so sorry I brought up the dreadful Survival Knife, which has caused GMs heart attacks due to the free trauma patch inside the handle. How unbalancing that knife is.
hyzmarca
Shadowrun cellphones are 80's cellphones. 500 nuyen is cheap.
Kagetenshi
Can I get a page reference for either a direct claim that cell phone bills are accounted for in Lifestyle or a statement that cell phones cease to work if a character doesn't have a Lifestyle?

~J
Tanka
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Can I get a page reference for either a direct claim that cell phone bills are accounted for in Lifestyle or a statement that cell phones cease to work if a character doesn't have a Lifestyle?

~J

Do you make your players pay a monthly cost on a cell phone plan?

If so, then you consider lifestyle as being different than I do. Lifestyle is anything and everything your character uses in everyday life. Trideo, Matrix, cell phone, gas, utilities, food... Any number of things that aren't considered "expendables" in the gear section.
Kagetenshi
No. However, neither do I deactivate their cellphone should they find themselves with no Lifestyle (Street Lifestyle). As such, their cellphone is a one-time cost—there is no subscription, hidden or otherwise. I'm asking if you have evidence that this is not the case.

Gas, likewise, I do not consider part of Lifestyle. This opinion is backed up by the Vehicle Maintenance rules—while higher Lifestyles do provide certain discounts, they do not account for all of Maintenance, and changing fuel grades alters one's Maintenance cost, not one's Lifestyle cost.

Matrix and Trid service are explicitly covered, though higher service levels need to be purchased independent of Lifestyle.

~J
Tanka
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 11 2006, 07:17 PM)
No. However, neither do I deactivate their cellphone should they find themselves with no Lifestyle (Street Lifestyle). As such, their cellphone is a one-time cost—there is no subscription, hidden or otherwise. I'm asking if you have evidence that this is not the case.

Gas, likewise, I do not consider part of Lifestyle. This opinion is backed up by the Vehicle Maintenance rules—while higher Lifestyles do provide certain discounts, they do not account for all of Maintenance, and changing fuel grades alters one's Maintenance cost, not one's Lifestyle cost.

Matrix and Trid service are explicitly covered, though higher service levels need to be purchased independent of Lifestyle.

~J

It also states that lower-end lifestyles get a monthly bus pass. People without the pass pay a fee (though it never quite says how much).

While not explicitly stating "cell phone bills", the core book does say, on page 62.

...such as food, laundry, utility bills and so on.

(Emphasis mine.)

That leads me to believe that, under that blanket statement, it includes cell phone bills if the character has one.

If the character doesn't have one? Well, they get a softer couch.

Ed: OK, it doesn't say they get a bus pass. I may have read that in another book at some point.
Kagetenshi
Which returns to the question: if someone has Street Lifestyle, do you deactivate their cellphone?

~J
Tanka
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Which returns to the question: if someone has Street Lifestyle, do you deactivate their cellphone?

~J

If they didn't pay a certain amount per month, yes. But that's just me.

In the modern world, nearly everyone has a cell phone. Sure, there are lots of people who don't, but most people have one and a fair percentage in that amount use it as their house phone, completely ignoring their houseline and even cancelling that phone line to save more money. (Said people either don't have internet or have cable internet. DSL requires a phone line.)
ShadowDragon8685
For the record, here's how I see Shadowrunner's cell phone bills being handled.

Step 1: Get in touch with at least a Level 1 Matrix Fixer contact.
Step 2: Pay Level 1 Matrix Fixer a nice fee (probably 2,000 nuyen.gif if he's level 1, less if he knows you) to deck-phreak your service into the carrier of your choice.
Step 3: Don't worry about your cell phone service ever again unless the carrier you chose goes through an internal audit, your phone is captured by the Star or someone else, or someone has otherwise potentially compromised your service.
If step 3 happens:
Go back to Step 1.
ShadowDragon8685
And SL: Generalizations are, on the whole, a safe bet when they are, on the whole, applicable.

You are the exception to the rule. That dosen't give you liscence to tear a strip outta me, it gives you a liscence to say that you're the exception.

I can accept an exception, though frag knows why you want to play a runner handicapped with such a huge liability.

I can't accept some self-rightious ass deciding to tear a strip out of me.
nezumi
Somehow I feel like the incredible growth of telecommunication networks by 2060 will have made the major fees that go along with cell phones significantly lessened, to the point that cell phone fees are in the area of $5-30, hence, not really worth counting.

As for the original topic, I don't see this as being especially invasive. .1 would be the most I'd charge for an implanted, DNI controlled breastpump. I personally would lower it to .05, since I"m not in the habit of penalizing characters for superior roleplaying. Monetary cost would probably be around two to three times the cost of the non-implanted pump, and I presume it would be made such that removal is easy (and significant components can even be removed by the user in question, for HIS pleasure, if you get what I mean.) I'm also pretty sure you can get a pump for less than $150 (althoug not necessarily hospital grade). I believe we got ours in the range of $70 new.
Liper
Don't patronize me, Liper. I was showing USD:nuyen ratios

okay, basically there's a qoute that says any current cost for unlisted items to equate to current items.

Now...

In SR? 500 nuyen. So that's somewhere around a 5:1 ratio on USD to nuyen.

Let's see. umm no.

look at various phones look at the without special service price...

it's not a issue of the knife bieng unbalanced, but so much as thinking the price of the knife is only due to the knife but not it's contents.

If so, then you consider lifestyle as being different than I do. Lifestyle is anything and everything your character uses in everyday life. Trideo, Matrix, cell phone, gas, utilities, food... Any number of things that aren't considered "expendables" in the gear section.

You probably think the homeless bum with amonthly cost of ZERO is including his cell phones cost...

Sure, there are lots of people who don't, but most people have one and a fair percentage in that amount use it as their house phone, completely ignoring their houseline and even cancelling that phone line to save more money.

the prices listed are for the RAW prices, not including promotionals, which is what most cell phone companys advertise at.

Again, the shadowrun universe is set at roughly a 1:1 ratio of the current world.

Don't try and act like it's worth sooo much more then currently when the monthly salary hasn't increased by even a fraction of the price. (go read your source books and fiction books to get the appropriate atmosphere)
SL James
Self-righteous? I am as righteous as God's wrath.
Tanka
QUOTE (Liper)
okay, basically there's a qoute that says any current cost for unlisted items to equate to current items.

Show me that quote.

QUOTE (Liper)
Let's see. umm no.

look at various phones look at the without special service price...

it's not a issue of the knife bieng unbalanced, but so much as thinking the price of the knife is only due to the knife but not it's contents.

Who's to say the SR cell phone isn't without some service pricings? It never goes into detail about how Renraku charges what it charges for what services. It just says it does.

QUOTE (Liper)
You probably think the homeless bum with amonthly cost of ZERO is including his cell phones cost...

Finish reading, would you? If you pay 0 for lifestyle, you get nothing in return. No food, no utilities, no cell. Nothing.

QUOTE (Liper)
the prices listed are for the RAW prices, not including promotionals, which is what most cell phone companys advertise at.

Where does it say that in the sourcebooks?

QUOTE (Liper)
Again, the shadowrun universe is set at roughly a 1:1 ratio of the current world.

And, again, I'll ask for a quote. Sourcebook, exact page number. Canon, please. No "Plastic Warriors" or "Blackjack's Pages". Sure, they're handy resources, but they aren't canon.

QUOTE (Liper)
Don't try and act like it's worth sooo much more then currently when the monthly salary hasn't increased by even a fraction of the price. (go read your source books and fiction books to get the appropriate atmosphere)

By what example? The 3 point flaw that says you have to work 40 hours per week and get 5k out of it a month? It doesn't say if that's a high-end job or just another Stuffer Shack worker. It's so open-ended it could be "paint licker" for all we know.

Low Lifestyle is 1k per month. Where I've lived, on the equivalent of Low, was nowhere near 1k per month. Now, maybe my area is cheaper. Who knows? But 1k per month? No way. Maybe in NYC or California. And if you're rooming with someone, that's 500 per month. That's more believable, on a single-person basis.

And 5k a month for middle lifestyle? For what, a house with a two-car garage and maybe a portable basketball hoop in the driveway? No.

Sure, some of the prices are pretty damn close. Most of them? Off. Way off.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (tanka)
If you pay 0 for lifestyle, you get nothing in return. No food, no utilities, no cell. Nothing.

Incorrect. You get food in return (SR3 p62: "[…] eating out of the trash"). Also, cellphones are not covered under any lifestyle description, as mentioned above. You're right that you get no cell with Street, but you don't get it with Luxury either.

~J
Liper
you're pretty defensive, admit you're wrong and move on.

now if you want to compare things look at things like the following.

Music (page 286 of sr source book, 20 nuyen a disk/chip roughly what we pay now)
Ordinary Clothing is like 50 nueyn a set. (gee roughly what it costs at wal-mart)

save for shoes, but we usually figure socks/underwear/pants/shirt as a outfit, not the shoes since that's normally a higher expense

Now lets look at shadowrunner expenses, sound suprresser is listed as 750 nuyen in sr3 page 282.

now look at the following link http://www.impactguns.com/store/aac_pistol.html

I see quite a few at the 699.00 range. need I provide more evidence then random things? sure I can. we've covered the controversial silencers and the mundane music disks and clothing... Lets see... what else is there, ah yeah cars!

Let's see scooter for 2k, check look at a samsclub for the prices (yeah it's cheap, but for the bigger versions it's easy to see 1k-2k apiece)

let's see a expensive high class/profile bike like a harly-davidson scorpion... 12,700?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/PR/MOT/2006...elsection=specs

let's see 10k, and that's the first hog I found listed on the home page.

so I guess you can make a case for about 20% inflation.

IE 1.2 x current prices

but. this 1:5 or greater ratio? yeah right, again you've deluded yourself based off of one singular thing.

Low Lifestyle is 1k per month. Where I've lived, on the equivalent of Low, was nowhere near 1k per month.

I live in ohio, the equivilent of median america basically (*seriously look it up, it's the measuring stick of america basically) 1k a month is roughly how much most normal people single married or not, spend on rent, utilitites, and food. Have you looked at the national poverty guidelines?

how our government measures poverty

yeah sorry 12k a year is poverished, regardless of how well you've managed, it's a low lifestyle anyone spending 1k a month on living will tell you this, or less.

The middle lifestyle you can definatly bring up, this is where the speration of the well to do and badly off begins in SR.

SR is a gritty game, even if semi-reliastically based in our current setting. There is a larger desparity between the poor and even moderatly well off.

Wealth is concentrated in a even smaller set of hands then currently. To think the middle lifestyle is silly is odd considering the fiction setting of this game.

While people are able to survive, and even to a simliar level say high school/college drop outs are able to now (even if lucky with obligations and jobs) is silly to think they can leap to a comfortable cushy lifestyle your nearly retired parents may have.

Just because the source book doesn't say a cell phone costs 500 nuyen with promitionals doesn't mean it's implied.

To assume something positive of what's a simple tech, even today is plain retarded.

It never goes into detail about how Renraku charges what it charges for what services. It just says it does.

Because that's part of the lifestyle. Lifestyle covers basic living expenses, occasionally eating out, whatever level food it says it includes, transportation of approriate level and a living area of appropriate level. Middle lifestyle includes (if you read your book) a modest car to drive, presumably on lease or monthly payment and the insurance if needed to drive it etc.

You simply came up with a figure not based in anything and are stretching to prove it, just give it up and accept that it might be a bit lower then you originally stated. ie maybe 20% more.
Edward
If you really want one I would say twice the essence and nuyen cost of an externally assessable auto injector.

That said I would not expect them to be implanted very often it doesn’t seem necessary or practical to me.

Non implant models would usually be a function of lifestyle. Or between 50 and 500nuyen

And I don’t think it’s a bad idea.

On the trauma patch issue.

Nothing that good is available for purchase as far as I know, I would have expected it to rate a mention in my first aid training.

And if I recall correctly the trauma patch would cost more to buy than the combat knife.

The best items for comparison of nuyen rates are items that have been available in the real world for a long time without becoming greatly more or less common. I would use lifestyle cost (assume low lifestyle is full time minimum wage, no tips), an average camera (non digital real world), basic clothing things like that

Liper got it right. This is what I get for typing before reading the last post

Edward
Tanka
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (tanka @ Feb 12 2006, 01:45 AM)
If you pay 0 for lifestyle, you get nothing in return.  No food, no utilities, no cell.  Nothing.

Incorrect. You get food in return (SR3 p62: "[…] eating out of the trash"). Also, cellphones are not covered under any lifestyle description, as mentioned above. You're right that you get no cell with Street, but you don't get it with Luxury either.

~J

I go back to the quote in the core rulebook.

"And so on."

Blanket statement, that. It never specifically states that cell phone bills are covered, nor does it not state that.

QUOTE (Liper)
you're pretty defensive, admit you're wrong and move on.

Why? My opinion is that things are grossly inflated in many instances, and not in others.

QUOTE (Liper)
Music (page 286 of sr source book, 20 nuyen a disk/chip roughly what we pay now)

And in the same case, a player costing 200 nuyen is inflated. I payed $100 for mine, and it's top of the line with MP3 CD playback. 100% inflation on that item.

QUOTE (Liper)
Ordinary Clothing is like 50 nueyn a set. (gee roughly what it costs at wal-mart)

If you shop at Wal-Mart, sure. But even then, a pair of pants at Wal-Mart is maybe $15, a t-shirt probably $15, and then several pair of socks and underwear (boxers or briefs) to bring that to $50. So, after doing the division (8 pair of socks per pack, so roughly $1.50 per pair, same with underwear), that comes to $33. Not quite so grossly inflated as the music player, but still close.

Delusion? No. Simply stating. Remember, Shadowrun is Cyberpunk, therefore Dystopian. If you want to play it flavored with cute and cuddly ratios, that's your thing. In my world, unless you've got that SIN, you're paying over the top for all items that are illegal.

A sound supressor is $750 -- if you get it legally, which means having a SIN. Otherwise, you're paying upwards of $1,500. And that's if the guy is feeling nice.

QUOTE (Liper)
Just because the source book doesn't say a cell phone costs 500 nuyen with promitionals doesn't mean it's implied.

On the same instance, nor does it mean it isn't implied. Nowhere does it say what the ratio of USD:nuyen is, nor does it say what company offers what special costs for which items.

QUOTE (Liper)
Because that's part of the lifestyle. Lifestyle covers basic living expenses, occasionally eating out, whatever level food it says it includes, transportation of approriate level and a living area of appropriate level. Middle lifestyle includes (if you read your book) a modest car to drive, presumably on lease or monthly payment and the insurance if needed to drive it etc.

And, again, I refer to the quote above the descriptions. "And so on". It leaves it pretty wide open to the imagination, doesn't it? For all we know, "and so on" refers to cheap hookers on Friday nights for the lonely and single man. Does it say that it's included? No. Does it say it isn't included? Nope. Nowhere is it referenced in lifestyle costs.

Just because it lists only those things does it mean nothing else is ever included.

QUOTE (Liper)
You simply came up with a figure not based in anything and are stretching to prove it, just give it up and accept that it might be a bit lower then you originally stated. ie maybe 20% more.

I didn't say all items are inflated horribly, just quite a few. (Yes, most, quite a few, whatever.) Some items are pretty damn close -- if you acquire them legally. Others are way off by any stretch of the imagination.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (tanka @ Feb 12 2006, 11:20 AM)
I go back to the quote in the core rulebook.

"And so on."

Blanket statement, that.  It never specifically states that cell phone bills are covered, nor does it not state that.

I quote the core rulebook:

QUOTE (SR3 page 239)
Lifestyle measures the quality of a character's daily life and his or her living expenses, including shelter, food, entertainment, clothing and so on. It does not cover technical resources

(emphasis added)

Need I get more explicit? Some things have been specifically included in contravention of the above quote (particularly Matrix access). Cell phone bills are not amongst these items.

~J
ShadowDragon8685
Ai carumba. Both of you, shut the #^*#&^ up about it.

Cell Phone Service is not a Big enough Deal to pester Shadowrunners over. Just have them pay a one-time rate to a Trix-fixer.
Liper
If you want to play it flavored with cute and cuddly ratios, that's your thing. In my world, unless you've got that SIN, you're paying over the top for all items that are illegal.

You continue to astound me. you know what street markup and availability due to item costs in shadowrun right?

What they list (and they say this) is the price to aqquire things legally.

To get illegal items illegally in shadowrun, the rules have always said the price is higher (or in some cases like say street line specials where everyone in the market is selling one, maybe less but that's the joy of illegal goods)

A sound supressor is $750 -- if you get it legally, which means having a SIN. Otherwise, you're paying upwards of $1,500. And that's if the guy is feeling nice.

Again, shadowrun has that. Gee the silencer is 750 legally, add in the street index (see you don't have to make up a mechanic for aquiring illegal items, it's already in the game you're still not a special flower) and voila upwards of 1500! wow!

On the same instance, nor does it mean it isn't implied. Nowhere does it say what the ratio of USD:nuyen is, nor does it say what company offers what special costs for which items.

It's not going to say it because that's the GMs job to make things fleshed out for flavor. Everything in shadowrun, to gurps, to rifts, to dnd, to vampire, etc are sources, base information etc. We all know cell phone companys probably aren't going to stop discounting phones if you get thier service, specially 1-2 year plans. We also know they aren't going to waste space in a source book that's already over 300 pages long describing wireless phone service plans when regular phone service is included in lifestyles that can reasonablly support it.

yes, a holophone that's sota will run 500bucks, (about what our sota phones cost) does that mean there aren't cheaper? no, but this is the price listed for those that are say on a run and lose thiers, or need to get a untapped phone during the course of game play etc, you're a idiot to hinge you're entire argument on a phone.

I didn't say all items are inflated horribly, just quite a few. (Yes, most, quite a few, whatever.)

very few are inflated how you're talking about, after street index maybe, but for the most part anything you find in a shadowrun source book and we have a current equivlent of, it's going to be about the same price give or take about 20%
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Liper)
very few are inflated how you're talking about, after street index maybe, but for the most part anything you find in a shadowrun source book and we have a current equivlent of, it's going to be about the same price give or take about 20%

You want to play this game? Sure, let's play this game.

Wire clippers: Shadowrun ¥25, real life $10, 250% inflation.

Standard ammunition, one round (as part of larger lot): Shadowrun ¥2, real life ~27¢, 750% inflation

Synthetic leather jacket: Shadowrun ¥250, real life $20, 1250% inflation

Throwing knife: Shadowrun ¥20, real life ~$7, 285% inflation.

I don't have time to play this game anymore.

~J
Tanka
Nor do I. Calling somebody an idiot then telling them to give in is a surefire way to not get them to admit something.

Kagetenshi: I missed that part. Lifestyle doesn't cover tech (though in some instances it said it covered Matrix/Trideo), but covers everything else. While slightly nonsensical, it has its merits.

One final note: Inflation isn't quite the world I'm looking for. Just monetary conversion. Some items are far more expensive (as Kage pointed out), some are far cheaper. It all depends on the item.
hyzmarca
Shadowrun doesn't account for brand name pricing. Better brands cost more. Cheaper brands cost less. Having a single nuyen price for all brands of an item saves the designers the trouble of creating a table of brand names, which is a shame.
Wounded Ronin
I think that in the world of Shadowrun rather than buying a breast pump a mother could just buy some kind of super future formula.

IRL, infant formula makes babies die all over the world by depriving them or nutrition and antibodies and exposing them to unnecessary pathogens. By chosing formula over breast milk because they've been duped by marketing and then doing gnarsty things like diluting it for economy purposes, many mothers injure their babies tremendously when everything would have been fine if they've just used breast milk.

Therefore, I would argue that it would be more disutopian and keeping in the spirit of shadowrun if your single mother character kept buying formula and then wondering aloud why the baby kept getting skinnier and skinnier. "Hey, chummer, can you cast cure disease on my baby again? I think it's got Hepatitis B again..."

A cyber breast pump that ensures a supply of milk at all times sounds more like the territory of some fetishist than a practical piece of equipment. If it were available, as a GM I'd make it available from some Japanese cyber sex toy company. Otherwise I'd just say the mother would have to use malnourishing formula and I'd crack Heptatitis B magical cure jokes the whole time.

Also, an infant is obviously a weakness that a character has. But if a shadowrunner has a family, it's the same basic weakness. So I don't think the infant is an enormous weakness. I mean, I have to say that it's probably a bit lame to make *all* your characters have no family so that they can't have the family be held hostage.
eidolon
Ah yes, the old "family is a weakness because it doesn't give you numerical bonuses or kewl powers" argument again.

It reminds me of why I stay at DS.

On the cell phone thing, personally, I usually just go with the basic idea that's been put forth about how since most 'runners are using illegally functioning cellphones, they just pay for the "account" to be set up when they buy it. Illegal phone service, sure, but it works, and everything else they do is illegal too. My players' characters tend to be the "I've used this phone for a couple of jobs, time to throw it away and get a new one", so it would be far more trouble than it's worth to me to have them go through figuring out where their phone bill factors in. smile.gif

nezumi
I like that idea, Wounded Ronin. Of course, it still comes back to the idea that the shadowrunner isn't just your average Joe, and as such, may be both responsible AND intelligent. But I would agree with the basic idea, formula is more likely to be sold (for that corporate lady on the go!) And then there's the question of what all is put into said formula to help cut costs... Yummm...
Crusher Bob
As a RL price check from cell phone happy Hong Kong, monthly cell phone service runs from around 8-25 USD a month, depending on how many bells and whistles you want. You can even get by for even less using pre-paid minnute cards, if you don't talk on the phone that much.
Crusher Bob
Heh, just by human milk at the grocery store, right next to the tastee-ghoul section (cloned human meat at prices you love!).
SL James
It's called HuFu.

Personally, I prefer fresh spit-roasted longpig.
Edward
I believe lifestyle does include cell phone.

Earlier in this thread somebody quoted SR3 main as lifestyle including utilities, phones are utilities, the level of lifestyle determines the quality of utilities you get. Looking to the real world in Australia where I live almost everybody has a mobile phone, even people that are on the dole usually managed to pick up a second hand phone for AU$50 and risk running out of prepaid credit if they don’t ration usage, this is the level of phone utility I would give to a character with a low lifestyle. Mod lifestyle includes a post payed contract you don’t have to worry about the expense of, above that you have some form of mobile matrix access. Squatter can include mobile access but with very limited calls (prepaid accounts are cheep to set up and your paying for the phone so that doesn’t come from lifestyle) as gm I would probably have them runout of credit every few runs, phone access for a street lifestyle is staying near a payphone and giving your fixer that number.

On the subject of throwing out phones this has no impact on my system. You can buy sim cards today that come with as much credit as they cost, a phone that costs as much as one listed in BBB should come with a nice amount of prepaid credit so even cheep shit lifestyles don’t have a problem.

Edward
Liper
Wire clippers: Shadowrun ¥25, real life $10, 250% inflation.

You sure you're not buying something from a flea market?

Ace is the place...

Ammo, fairly cheap box of ammo while it is a little cheaper now, it's still roughly the same. (that's a 25round box I believe)
Kagetenshi
Entirely certain. This one is more expensive than the one I was looking at, but your own site doesn't support you.

As for ammo, it is nowhere near the same.

Have a nice day, please stop wasting our time.

~J
Arethusa
Yeah, if you're picking the most obscure and unusual ammunition you can. Let's go all the way: .50BMG runs about $2/round. Success! Canon doesn't inflate prices out of mindless ignorance after all!

Only, no. A case of 9x19mm from Wolf will run you a fuckload less than $2/round. $119 for 1,000 rounds: 1681% inflation. Wire cutters at Sears will cost around $10. The prices are inflated, and now you're just grabbing at straws.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012