Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR-4 Pay Scale System
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
stevebugge
So I'm sharing a system I use to figure Payscales for one-shots and homegrown runs, for published material I tend to just go with what is published.

SR-4 Pay Scale System

1. Determine the type of run and base pay from the SR-3 Companion

2. Figure the Team’s Average Street Cred

3. Figure the Team’s Average Notoriety

4. Subtract Average Notoriety from Average Street Cred [EDIT]and add 1[/EDIT], the result is the base pay multiplier.

5. Use the following table based on difficulty of the run (relative to the ability of the Team)
a. Cakewalk: -0.5
b. Normal: 0
c. Difficult: +.05
d. Very Difficult: +1.0
e. Nearly Impossible: +2.0
f. Suicidal: +3.0

6. Determine the Timeframe adjustment
a. Unlimited: -1.0
b. Extended (Allows more than 30 days of Legwork) : -0.5
c. Normal (Allows up to 30 days for Legwork): 0
d. Compressed (Allows up to 15 Days for Legwork): +.05
e. Urgent (Allows 7 days or less for Legwork): +1.0
f. Immediate (allows no time for Legwork): +1.5

7. Johnson will grant an expense allowance?
a. Unlimited: -0.5
b. Reasonable: 0
c. Small: +0.5
d. None: +1.0

8. Duration Adjustment
a. 15 Days or less: 0
b. 16-30 Days: +0.5
c. 30-60 Days: +1.0
d. 60-90 Days: +2.0
e. Each Additional 30 days: +.25

9. Travel Required
a. Covered by Johnson: -1.0
b. Not required: 0
c. At Runner’s expense: +1.0

10. Apply all modifiers to the base pay multiplier determined in Step 4
a. If this number is zero or less the Johnson is doing the runners a huge favor by even hiring them, let them know this, and that any pay they receive they should be grateful for.

11. Multiply the base pay from the Companion by the Multiplier derived in Step 11 to determine the base pay for the run (This is per task not runner)

12. Allow negotiation from here Each net success by the Team gets an additional 5%, net successes for the Johnson allow him to pocket 5% for himself.

If you couldn't guess by the preceding, I just recently finished my Taxes. silly.gif
Aku
umm, wouldnt it be the runners doing the johnson a favor, no only by the laws of math, but sense too, lemme work an easy one of these out.

The team is pretty green (1 street cred), but in their spare time, they decided wreck a warehouse in the barrens, to the ground, in the middle of the day, with news team supplied (1 notor.) Comes to a 0.

The job is nearly immpossible (+2 net), but the johnson has unlimited resources for immediate supplies (+1.5), and the team has plenty of time to plan (+1). The yeam needs to go out of the country, but the johnson is providing a bulldog and a charter plane( 0 net).

Now, theres two problems, yes, the team can get whatever equipment they want, wether or not they get to keep it is up to GM fiat for the most part. The second, and larger problem, is that, mathematically, the team is getting paid nothing, for this job. (Base price for run*zero=zero)

Now, you say "But aku, that's such a contrived scenario" and i say fine, i'll give you another, because i feel lie typing some more.

You have a difficult job (+.5) that doesnt need to be done immediately (extended, -.5). the johnson refuses to pay for anything, except for travel (+1, -1) The team gets the job done within 15 days (i assume thats what #8 is for), again, a net of 0, and, by mathetmiatical rules, no pay.

You might wanna recheck those taxes silly.gif
GuyofDoom
I think it could be changed by assuming "0's" are the base price and that the various fractions are the percent increases over that. I think it's a good system, but probably needs tweaking in the numbers from person to person.
TinkerGnome
I've always thought expense accounts were silly for shadowrunners, really. Just do some pay up front and some off the back end.

One thing to take into account is that a lot of starting characters will have 1 or 2 points of noteriety just from their flaws.
stevebugge
Yeah the Green Team is definitely going to get hosed under this system, and yes there is a crucial piece of missing information, the starting point for the base modifier is always 1.

Also to Clarify #8 is for runs where the Runners have to engage in a certain activity for a certain amount of time, such as surveillance.

So to reuse Aku's Second Example.
Base 1.0
Difficult Job +.5
Extended Legwork -.5
No expenses -1
Travel Provided +1
Duration not an issue in this case so 0

Assuming the Team has an average Street Cred - Notoriety of 0

They would get the base price before negotiation.

Addressing the issue of starting characters. Part of the reason I'm looking at this is that my players got a little out of control with edges and flaws in SR3, and I want to stop that in SR4 so I'm actually trying to make the consequences for taking lots of flaws severe. Also like any business when you are getting started you've got to build a rep before you make a lot of money.

I'm trying to think of a mechanic to allow a contact to act as an intermediary for the team too. (Take advantage of that connection rating on your fixer for example)

And Seriously thanks for the comments I just designed this so it probably does need some tweaking

As for the Taxes, It's a good thing I use TurboTax
MK Ultra
I like the general look, would have to be playtested and than tweked here and there, maybe, like all rules have, too. I think I´ll consider this if I get my next champaign rolling (one of my players is rebelling against SR4 ohplease.gif , all the others and me are in love.gif with it)
Aku
well, having a base of 1 does explain a few things, but still, if it equals or is less than 0, it's still the runner's doing the johnson a favor... "hey, i cant pay you guys for this, but i've saved your hoop's a few times, so i'd appreciate it if...."
evil1i
QUOTE (Aku)
well, having a base of 1 does explain a few things, but still, if it equals or is less than 0, it's still the runner's doing the johnson a favor... "hey, i cant pay you guys for this, but i've saved your hoop's a few times, so i'd appreciate it if...."

Unless the Johnson is like...

Well Ladies and Gentlemen I have got a sweet job for you. Not only do you have plenty of time, it is an easy job and I've been given carte blanche to transport you to where you need to be PLUS you will be getting a small retainer for this job. Normally I'd be offering this to another team but I thought it would be a good way to test your team out and then I'll have a better indication of your competence level for any future work I may throw your way.

so if the multiplier is </= 0 then still offering them money is a favour owed smile.gif

I like the costing method and as a suggestion:

QUOTE (stevebugge)
I'm trying to think of a mechanic to allow a contact to act as an intermediary for the team too. (Take advantage of that connection rating on your fixer for example)

connection 1-2 = +1 3-5 = +2 and 6 = +2 to the price multiplier as the other factors but do 2 calculations 1 without the bonus and 1 with the bonus then roll percentile dice and use it to determine the split of the profit (with the contact always getting the better half - although let the runners negotiate that with the contact as per usual)

so say the run works out as a $2500 run with a cost multiplier without contact as 1.5 and with the contacts help as 2.5 (small time fixer) and you rolled 62% on the dice. So at the end of it the runners get offered $4700 ($6250-cut) +/- negotiation with Johnson with a cut for the contact/fixer of 1550 +/- negotiation with team.

Maybe even offer the runners the full amount and then see if they willingly offer up a % to the contact and if they don't they risk losing the contact alltogether or possibly just lowering the contacts loyalty rating.

You could even add in the contacts loyalty and connection levels into the negotiation for the percentage cut the contact gets. eg Contact rolls Charisma+Negotiation+Connection level whilst the team rolls Charisma+Negotiation+Loyalty level (so the loyatly 1 connection 6 fixer takes most of the profit whereas a loyalty 6 connection 1 fixer doesn't get much of a profit but also takes less of it)
stevebugge
Yeah I think there needs to be a safety net there, maybe they get the minimum with no chance to negotiate or something along those lines. I really only see two likely scenarios for a Zero situation: Brand New Characters with a lot of flaws or More experienced Characters with a LOT of baggage, either type should have a hard time getting a good paying job.

I also think that a system to allow a contact to negotiate a job for the team for a cut would be a good idea, maybe substitute the Contacts Connection Rating for the Average Street Cred Score, but the contact takes 25% of the total Payout.

Evil1 I like your ideas, thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012