Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Simplification?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
tete
One of my biggest complaints with SR4 is too much rolling! Granted its still way better than previous editions but after playing nWOD I find resistance tests anoying. I was wondering if anyone has created base scores (kinda like the auto successes) to speed things up and keep the rolling to a minimum.
Moon-Hawk
Use the mechanic of # successes = # dice in pool / 4 round down. Statistically, you'd get that many successes about 80% of the time, but you won't do quite as well as if you'd rolled. This mechanic is already included in the core rules.
They (and I) recommend that rule be used for unimportant rolls and large dice pools only, but if you apply it to more tests it should give you all the simplification you want.
kigmatzomat
It's also a good way to evaluate how well your PCs will do in a given scenario or tailor an event's mechanics to meet your plot timeline.

"Hmmm, I need this to take an hour for plot reasons. It takes 10 minutes/test so I need to set the threshold at 6 x PC Rating /4."

neko128
I've always thought of it as the "cop-out rule". And by that I mean... I don't need to make a drive test to drive to the corner store, because my average drive skill (2, say) and average attribute (3) let me "cop out" with 1 hit, thus succeeding on a trivial test.
MK Ultra
Narmally I have all resistance rolls, dodging, etc. atosuccess at dice/3. The game runs much quicker that way. The players may roll if thay like to and I do sometimes, too, if there is time, just to keep it variable. The players allso donīt bother to roll mostly, since itīs a fair rate (one did one time and faild miserably).

For real skillrols the rate would still be dice/4 however.

All of my other hoserules tend to be more complicated instead of simplyfied. But since SR4 is way less complecated then previous editions, there are some calculating resources left in my head most of the time.

When SR4 came out (or rather, when I made up trial-rules after the first anouncements) it was the first time in years I enjouyed a fight in SR!

Edit: I do use the regular rule as neko does, too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012